• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Vorg
(04-06-2012, 02:14 PM)
Can't wait to play this! Thanks for the effort.
IrishNinja
(04-06-2012, 02:31 PM)
pretty cool! i always like seeing this things done - never played a Shadowrun game myself, so this might be my first.

Originally Posted by Aeana

Also, I hope you guys realize that it's spelled "homicide."

ahaha
lilralphie
(04-06-2012, 02:48 PM)
Any thoughts on doing a "fan release" (long case with instructions) as opposed to just the ROM when this is all done?
MrBelmontvedere
(04-06-2012, 04:43 PM)
AWESOME!

I hope that simply holding the finished copy in your digital hands will be enough motivation to see this through. and hey, maybe this would even look nice on your resume :)

"project adviser for translation of Sega CD title Shadowrun"

or some such accompanied with a few screenshots would look nice, no?
PantherAttacks
(04-06-2012, 05:00 PM)
Very cool. Looking forward to this!
Viola of the Abyss
(04-06-2012, 08:13 PM)
Very interesting!!

Two small questions before I start hunting for a copy:

1) How long is this game?
2) How much does a copy cost? Is it hard to find?

I wish I could contribute somehow, but my Japanese skills are still too "green" to attempt a translation and being a web developer doesn't give me the necessary skills to help with the hacking :(
cj_iwakura
(04-07-2012, 12:34 AM)

Originally Posted by shinkansen.3000

Very interesting!!

Two small questions before I start hunting for a copy:

1) How long is this game?
2) How much does a copy cost? Is it hard to find?

I wish I could contribute somehow, but my Japanese skills are still too "green" to attempt a translation and being a web developer doesn't give me the necessary skills to help with the hacking :(

1) As I understand it, around the length of Snatcher. Gonna estimate 15-20 or so. Possibly less if you know what you're doing.
2) I'm pretty sure it's not cheap, and kind of. It's a cult classic, I hear.
Vamphuntr
(04-07-2012, 12:40 AM)

Originally Posted by lobdale

Hacking in the preliminary stage? I look forward to playing this in 2017.

Haha. Let's hope it will be quick.

This game is really hard to find and expensive. It's like 100$ for a copy on ebay.
cj_iwakura
(04-07-2012, 12:53 AM)
The lead hacker is the guy who did Shikigami with me.

We'll get it, I promise. We thought Shikigami was a lost cause for months until we cracked it.

It'll take time, but we will get there.
Viola of the Abyss
(04-07-2012, 12:54 AM)

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

1) As I understand it, around the length of Snatcher. Gonna estimate 15-20 or so. Possibly less if you know what you're doing.
2) I'm pretty sure it's not cheap, and kind of. It's a cult classic, I hear.

I see, interesting... I remember Snatcher to be shorter than that though...
If it's anything like Snatcher I'm going to love every second of it!

I'll see what I can find during my next stay in Tokyo, I noticed that prices can be quite lower than the average internet e-shop. Symphony of the Night for example goes for about 100 around here on eBay, I found a like-new copy for 20 in Akihabara!
@MUWANdo
Banned
(04-07-2012, 01:42 AM)
Shadowrun CD is definitely not cheap - it was among the last Sega CD games ever released in Japan (I think it *was* the last, actually) and got a tiny print run.
A Black Falcon
(04-07-2012, 06:51 AM)

Originally Posted by @MUWANdo

Shadowrun CD is definitely not cheap - it was among the last Sega CD games ever released in Japan (I think it *was* the last, actually) and got a tiny print run.

It was the last Sega CD game released anywhere, and the only 1996 Sega CD release. It's kind of weird, too -- see, Sega of Japan had basically ditched the Sega CD a year earlier (not that they ever supported it anything other than terribly anyway, Sega of Japan's Sega CD support was pretty weak...). There were a grand total of ZERO Japanese-developed games released by Sega in Japan in 1995... their only games published for the Sega CD that year were a couple of American FMV games and a few earlier American titles like Ecco CD (the first one, the second one never released in Japan on CD). And that's it. You'd think they'd have at least gotten a Sega-distributed, Japanese-developed game like Dungeon Explorer, but no. And then they released Shadowrun early the next year. Huh. Well, at least they ended things on a good note. It was unfortunate that it released too late for them to bring it over to the US, though.

Originally Posted by BobbyRobby

I've read that running burned CD-Rs wears through the laser on turbo duos and sega cd systems. Does that ring true to you? Is there any reason that would be true?

I think that's more a rumor than a truth, but there might be a little bit of truth to it, if an image makes the drive motor work harder than an actual disc would, or if it uses more of the disc and forces the motor to extend past where it's used to with actual discs, or something. I've heard of some Sega CD systems that actually work better with CD-Rs than with pressed discs though, so I don't think you should worry about it too much for the Sega CD at least.
driph
(12-04-2012, 09:22 AM)
Just discovered that this project is underway... any new progress since the screenshots shown earlier in the thread?
The Spoony Hou
(12-04-2012, 09:41 AM)

It's sad to know that in the future there will still be violence against homossexuals.
polyh3dron
Banned
(12-04-2012, 09:56 AM)
I can't stop laughing at "homocide", sorry.
sixteen-bit
(12-04-2012, 04:50 PM)
You think anyone would ever attempt a fan translation of Mega-CD Shin Megami Tensei?
Aeana
(12-04-2012, 04:51 PM)

Originally Posted by _dementia

You think anyone would ever attempt a fan translation of Mega-CD Shin Megami Tensei?

There's no real reason to. It would be much more beneficial to try to do the PSX or GBA versions.
Night_Trekker
(12-04-2012, 04:53 PM)
Whoa, this is my first time hearing about this. (The translation, not the game... but I had completely forgotten it existed, too.) <3 Shadowrun.

Originally Posted by IrishNinja

pretty cool! i always like seeing this things done - never played a Shadowrun game myself, so this might be my first.

On the off chance you see this response to a totally old post: definitely go play the SNES and/or the Genesis games while you're waiting for this translation to drop. Both are great games.
Cyberquake
(12-04-2012, 04:55 PM)
Great news!

Good luck with your project! Kudos to you sir!
sixteen-bit
(12-04-2012, 10:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Aeana

There's no real reason to. It would be much more beneficial to try to do the PSX or GBA versions.

I figured as much. I picked up a copy super cheap a while back because as one of the few non-localized MCD games, it's a bit of a curiosity.
boutrosinit
Street Fighter IV World Champion
(12-04-2012, 10:57 PM)
If it's better than the excellent SNES version, I am in.
cj_iwakura
(12-05-2012, 04:52 AM)

Originally Posted by driph

Just discovered that this project is underway... any new progress since the screenshots shown earlier in the thread?

Act 1 is complete. A demo may be in the future.
ReyVGM
(12-05-2012, 05:03 AM)

Originally Posted by boutrosinit

If it's better than the excellent SNES version, I am in.

It's a digital novel/graphic adventure with sprinkles of RPG, so it's not better.
cj_iwakura
(12-05-2012, 05:08 AM)

Originally Posted by ReyVGM

It's a digital novel/graphic adventure with sprinkles of RPG, so it's not better.

Pretty much. Best way I can describe it is 'wildly different'. Much like comparing the SNES/Genesis games.
cj_iwakura
(12-05-2012, 07:07 AM)
Here's a taste of scenario 1 I just transcribed for you all.

From the act 1 script, edited into screens from the game. Just for a taste of things to come.

ReyVGM
(12-05-2012, 07:13 AM)
Please tell me you are not going to use that font :P
Baroni9
(12-05-2012, 07:16 AM)
Glad to see this is still happening.
cj_iwakura
(12-05-2012, 07:16 AM)

Originally Posted by ReyVGM

Please tell me you are not going to use that font :P

I doubt it. :P
Chauncy Talon
(12-30-2012, 10:16 AM)
I can't wait for this to be release. Keep up the good work.
Tesseract
Banned
(12-30-2012, 10:23 AM)
not bad. script needs personality, some flavor. it's dull and excessively wordy. your tenses and persons are all over the place.

keep up the good work!
Phat Michael
Banned
(12-30-2012, 10:56 AM)

Originally Posted by @MUWANdo

There's always Shadowrun Megadrive (the superior Shadowrun game).

I own this but its sealed :/
bishopcruz
(12-31-2012, 07:05 AM)
Looks good cj, missed this the first time around. What might be interesting is to try and sprinkle in the slang used in Shadowrun, to give it the feel of the universe. Looking really good though.
Foxix Von
rolling up newspapers
and smacking noses
(12-31-2012, 08:40 AM)

Originally Posted by bishopcruz

Looks good cj, missed this the first time around. What might be interesting is to try and sprinkle in the slang used in Shadowrun, to give it the feel of the universe. Looking really good though.

This is an excellent idea, chummer.
trev186
(01-20-2013, 08:29 PM)
I am excited to see this project ! Looking forward to playing this on Android md.emu

Is there a website or blog to follow this project or is this forum the best ?
cj_iwakura
(01-20-2013, 08:54 PM)

Originally Posted by trev186

I am excited to see this project ! Looking forward to playing this on Android md.emu

Is there a website or blog to follow this project or is this forum the best ?

This is the blog, but I'll definitely post updates here too.
cj_iwakura
(04-07-2013, 06:16 PM)
So I've been getting a lot of emails about the game(as well as a translator offering to help out), so I decided to gather up some screens to update.

Unfortunately, it's proving to be a complicated task. The game uses some very intricate kanji tables, and though we have the first Scenario translated, implementing the script is gonna be a pain.

So here's some gameplay and investigative stuff.

As I've mentioned, the battles in the game are done in SRPG format, and before attacking, you roll dice to determine damage inflicted, and if the attack even hits at all.

It's some fun stuff.

If you've played Snatcher or Policenauts, the gameplay should feel very familiar. You talk to people, get ignored, talk some more, then bust some skulls and then they start talking. Expect a LOT of talking, this is a very wordy game.
IrishNinja
(04-09-2013, 11:24 PM)
don't know how i missed this prior, and i've no idea what i could do with no real japanese skills, but i'll help anyway i can CJ!
Ingueferroque
Banned
(04-09-2013, 11:26 PM)
Really excited about this.
Viola of the Abyss
(04-09-2013, 11:33 PM)
Still keeping an eye on this. Same kind of setting of Snatcher, what can go wrong?
AkuMifune
Banned
(04-09-2013, 11:37 PM)
Sweet, subscribed. Good luck, keep at it, hope this gets done! ;)

The world needs more Shadowrun.
MarcoZombieCannon
(04-09-2013, 11:46 PM)
I thought this looked familiar, then I noticed the dates. Good luck, I'm looking forward to the results!
Noahd42
Banned
(04-10-2013, 01:15 AM)
This looks great. I'm very intrigued.
EDarkness
(04-10-2013, 01:19 AM)
I've seen this game in game shops from time to time and I'd love to play it. I'm definitely interested in seeing how this turns out.
Trojita
Rapid Response Threadmaker
(04-10-2013, 01:21 AM)
It's animified!?

Where are all the other races? I just see Humans and Elves. Does the Japanese Shadowrun not have them all?
cj_iwakura
(04-10-2013, 04:00 AM)
That's a good question. I haven't encountered any orcs or trolls yet, but we'll see.

Working on the second kanji table. The popularity for this is a little staggering, because it's drawn some translators from other projects to the cause, so maybe we'll get Scenario 1 going soon!
Syril
(04-10-2013, 04:18 AM)

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

That's a good question. I haven't encountered any orcs or trolls yet, but we'll see.

Working on the second kanji table. The popularity for this is a little staggering, because it's drawn some translators from other projects to the cause, so maybe we'll get Scenario 1 going soon!

I think I read somewhere that Japan had all the orks and trolls exiled en masse in the edition that was current.
jdl
Banned
(04-10-2013, 04:23 AM)
anticipating this with great anticipation.
ElectricThunder
(04-10-2013, 04:35 AM)
The sheer advent of the coming Shadowrun Returns game is liable to lift this up even further---as there's literally never been such a time in the fandom to jump on anything and everything again.

Plus, if all aligns well enough, I'd imagine it is only a matter of time until some of the modders try to wrangle some manner of enhanced remake of this "new" Sega-CD member of the family using the modding tools that are coming for SR.
cj_iwakura
(04-10-2013, 04:40 AM)

Originally Posted by ElectricThunder

The sheer advent of the coming Shadowrun Returns game is liable to lift this up even further---as there's literally never been such a time in the fandom to jump on anything and everything again.

Plus, if all aligns well enough, I'd imagine it is only a matter of time until some of the modders try to wrangle some manner of enhanced remake of this "new" Sega-CD member of the family using the modding tools that are coming for SR.

I submitted a question for Jordan's Q&A about the Sega CD game. Didn't get picked. :(

I think they know it exists, but that's about it.
cj_iwakura
(06-15-2013, 02:12 PM)
The amount of feedback I get on this project is at once inspirational and a little sad(in that no one cared this much about Shiki or Umineko :P).

That said, I'm currently editing the insertion script for Scenario 1. If we get that going, we should be able to release a demo of sorts.