• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

CitizenHal
Junior Member
(10-08-2013, 02:01 AM)
CitizenHal's Avatar
I really hope this project doesn't die out, this is something me and a lot of other people would love to see.

There isn't much activity on this thread but I'm still hopeful. :)
cj_iwakura
Member
(10-08-2013, 02:14 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar

Originally Posted by CitizenHal

I really hope this project doesn't die out, this is something me and a lot of other people would love to see.

There isn't much activity on this thread but I'm still hopeful. :)

I promise it isn't. Umineko's been taking up the time that's also needed to edit Chapter 1's script. But we're not letting it go, no way. Too much talent involved.
sixteen-bit
Member
(10-08-2013, 02:16 AM)
I'm happy this isn't dead.
lilralphie
Member
(10-08-2013, 03:03 AM)
lilralphie's Avatar
Keep up the great work!
ElectricThunder
Member
(10-08-2013, 04:59 AM)
Definitely awesome to know this is still fighting the good fight to right this great wrong in SEGA CD history---when it rests in triumph come to the MSX nostalgia topic and maybe see if you can reckon and wrangle some magic on the old partial translation for Illusion City? It may well be the oldest game that drew from classic P&P Shadowrun at least a bit thematically, despite being older than any of the actual, literal and fully Shadowrun console games.
Randam_Hajile
Member
(10-08-2013, 05:42 AM)
Randam_Hajile's Avatar
Wow! I didn't know you guys were doing this until now, but consider me hyped! Coincidentally, I was playing my Sega CDX all weekend. Keep up the good work! Looking forward to the results.
cj_iwakura
Member
(10-08-2013, 05:56 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar
Thanks for lighting a fire. Chapter 1 is halfway done. Once this is done, we should be able to get a playable alpha build off the ground.

In the interim, I have enough script here to possibly doctor up a few more screens with the English script.
cj_iwakura
Member
(10-08-2013, 06:55 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar
Translated some of the screens in the OP, enjoy.







CitizenHal
Junior Member
(10-08-2013, 07:58 PM)
CitizenHal's Avatar
Awesome! This is some amazing work you guys are doing.
baphomet
Member
(10-08-2013, 08:03 PM)
baphomet's Avatar
Glad to see this is still kicking. Looking forward to playing it once its finished. Keep up the good work.
Night_Trekker
Member
(10-08-2013, 08:05 PM)
Night_Trekker's Avatar

Originally Posted by baphomet 666

Glad to see this is still kicking. Looking forward to playing it once its finished. Keep up the good work.

Same here. I can't wait to play the final translation.
jhmtehgamr20xx
Banned
(10-08-2013, 08:09 PM)
Cool 'n all, but isn't the general consensus that this version sucked ass?
cj_iwakura
Member
(10-09-2013, 12:42 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar

Originally Posted by jhmtehgamr20xx

Cool 'n all, but isn't the general consensus that this version sucked ass?

No? There isn't a general consensus, hardly anyone's played it.
Acosta
Member
(10-09-2013, 12:46 AM)
Acosta's Avatar

Originally Posted by jhmtehgamr20xx

Cool 'n all, but isn't the general consensus that this version sucked ass?

The general consensus is that nobody played :P

Thanks for the effor, I have always been curious about this.
iidesuyo
Member
(10-09-2013, 12:54 AM)
iidesuyo's Avatar
Keep going! I'm looking forward to it!
jhmtehgamr20xx
Banned
(10-09-2013, 01:19 AM)

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

No? There isn't a general consensus, hardly anyone's played it.

Originally Posted by Acosta

The general consensus is that nobody played :P

Apologies then; I just remember reading this massive opinion on it on the HG101 site. They didn't think it was very good at all but said the story was interesting.
Night_Trekker
Member
(10-09-2013, 01:22 AM)
Night_Trekker's Avatar

Originally Posted by jhmtehgamr20xx

Apologies then; I just remember reading this massive opinion on it on the HG101 site. They didn't think it was very good at all but said the story was interesting.

You have to watch out for that stuff at HCG101. Lots of polarized opinions presented as fact in their articles.
cj_iwakura
Member
(10-09-2013, 01:29 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar

Originally Posted by jhmtehgamr20xx

Apologies then; I just remember reading this massive opinion on it on the HG101 site. They didn't think it was very good at all but said the story was interesting.

I was about to comment on this, but it seems it got updated recently to include Returns. (I write for HG101, but I didn't do the SR article.)


I don't think it had bad things to say if memory serves. From what I've played, I think it's very fun to play, far more than Shadowrun Genesis.


Oh, it calls it unbalanced. Eh, hardly means it's bad.
cj_iwakura
Member
(12-21-2013, 06:12 PM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar
Just so people know we haven't abandoned this in midst of testing Generation Xth, we're testing insertion for Scenario 1(which is mostly done) and working on an actual font.
Dekanach
Junior Member
(12-21-2013, 07:43 PM)
Dekanach's Avatar
Awesome! I played the SNES version and it blown my mind when I was a kid. Hope the project goes on. I'm really hyped
xanubysx
Junior Member
(02-06-2014, 11:56 AM)
xanubysx's Avatar
Just curious, is there any development on that front?
I just redid Shadowrun returns and I am waiting for the new Berlin expension.
It reminded me about your awesome endeavor.
You mentioned that this project was not your team works, but you were helping.
Keep us posted and see you in the shadow chummer.
Glass Brain
Member
(02-06-2014, 01:14 PM)
Glass Brain's Avatar
I have my eye on this project now. Keep up the great work!
cj_iwakura
Member
(02-06-2014, 01:50 PM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar

Originally Posted by xanubysx

Just curious, is there any development on that front?
I just redid Shadowrun returns and I am waiting for the new Berlin expension.
It reminded me about your awesome endeavor.
You mentioned that this project was not your team works, but you were helping.
Keep us posted and see you in the shadow chummer.

We're still working on Scenario 1, but not yet.

I'll be sure to.
cj_iwakura
Member
(04-26-2014, 07:24 PM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar
Been a long time coming...


It has begun.

Insertion!
(VERY VERY ROUGH VERSION.)



















Very, very rough. Overlaps galore, lots of untranslated stuff... but it's the first step!
CitizenHal
Junior Member
(05-10-2014, 01:14 AM)
CitizenHal's Avatar
Yes! You are doing some great work here.
Jaeger
Member
(05-10-2014, 01:15 AM)
Jaeger's Avatar
I've always wanted to play this. I can't freaking wait!
brainpann
Member
(05-10-2014, 01:17 AM)
brainpann's Avatar
This is going to be awesome!
KillerIsJed
Member
(05-10-2014, 01:20 AM)
KillerIsJed's Avatar
Is there any specific reason the US screens are ten fold more clear / easier on the eyes than the japanese version? Just the way there were captured or did you add a filter or something or emulation?
cj_iwakura
Member
(05-10-2014, 01:26 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar

Originally Posted by KillerIsJed

Is there any specific reason the US screens are ten fold more clear / easier on the eyes than the japanese version? Just the way there were captured or did you add a filter or something or emulation?

Probably the capture method. Once we apply a fixed width font it might even be readable!
xanubysx
Junior Member
(05-21-2014, 02:28 PM)
xanubysx's Avatar
That`s an amazing step.
If it`s cool, I have a couple of questions.

I wanted to know if you got around the Kanji tables for all scenarios?
You mentioned the project was bringing a lot of attention and that people wanted to help for translating from Jap --> Eng. Last news was 2 scenarios out of 5 done. Can you tell us what is left to be translated in the script?
Finally, do you guys still want to release the 1st chapter as a tryout or you are aiming for the full game?

Overall, take the time it needs to be of great quality.
Thanks for your work, shadowrun is awesome.
cj_iwakura
Member
(05-21-2014, 03:27 PM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar

Originally Posted by xanubysx

That`s an amazing step.
If it`s cool, I have a couple of questions.

I wanted to know if you got around the Kanji tables for all scenarios?

Yes.

You mentioned the project was bringing a lot of attention and that people wanted to help for translating from Jap --> Eng. Last news was 2 scenarios out of 5 done. Can you tell us what is left to be translated in the script?

We're working on cleaning up Scenario 1 and doing Scenario 2.

Finally, do you guys still want to release the 1st chapter as a tryout or you are aiming for the full game?

We could do the first when it's legible and stable(it's neither right now). I'd like to.
cj_iwakura
Member
(05-24-2014, 06:48 PM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar
Scenario 1 is completely in-game. No fixed width and buggy as heck, but... it's there. NPC dialogue and locations are almost readable!
cj_iwakura
Member
(05-24-2014, 07:14 PM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar
I want to get a range of feedback on this. Anyone who wants to test a very very rough version of Scenario 1, PM me. Preferably if you can do so at the moment.
CitizenHal
Junior Member
(06-05-2014, 11:32 AM)
CitizenHal's Avatar
I would like to help test this, but I'm too busy. God dangit.
Teknoman
Little Big NeoContra
(07-07-2014, 02:02 AM)
Teknoman's Avatar
Hopefully this isnt seen as a crazy bump, but once I get my model 2 up and running, i'd be interested in helping to test as well. Glad someone is taking more action on the Sega translation front.
BTails
Member
(07-07-2014, 02:04 AM)
BTails's Avatar
This looks awesome. Subbed to this thread, and I'm glad progress is still moving along on this project!
AuthenticM
Member
(07-07-2014, 02:06 AM)
AuthenticM's Avatar

omg

*dead*
Foxix Von
rolling up newspapers
and smacking noses
(07-09-2014, 08:23 AM)
Foxix Von's Avatar

Originally Posted by Teknoman

Hopefully this isnt seen as a crazy bump, but once I get my model 2 up and running, i'd be interested in helping to test as well. Glad someone is taking more action on the Sega translation front.

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

I want to get a range of feedback on this. Anyone who wants to test a very very rough version of Scenario 1, PM me. Preferably if you can do so at the moment.

Thanks for bumping actually, I hadn't seen this earlier. Anyway, PM sent.
Teknoman
Little Big NeoContra
(08-12-2014, 04:37 AM)
Teknoman's Avatar
My model 2 is refreshed, up and running! So if you need another tester, lemme know.
cj_iwakura
Member
(08-27-2014, 12:53 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar
We're working on getting the crashing to stop and maybe, just maybe, apply a fixed width font... so hopefully the next update will be a major(and prettier) one.
brainpann
Member
(08-27-2014, 12:59 AM)
brainpann's Avatar

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

We're working on getting the crashing to stop and maybe, just maybe, apply a fixed width font... so hopefully the next update will be a major(and prettier) one.


Great news!
BTails
Member
(08-27-2014, 01:22 AM)
BTails's Avatar

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

We're working on getting the crashing to stop and maybe, just maybe, apply a fixed width font... so hopefully the next update will be a major(and prettier) one.

Whoo, a bump for a status update! I'm really looking forward to this, thanks for the heads up that progress is still moving forward.
cj_iwakura
Member
(08-28-2014, 11:58 PM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar
Yeesh. Compile are some evil bastards.


Shadowrun uses the Sega CD and Genesis sides to program the text output.

Little wonder we had such a hard time cracking it.
Teknoman
Little Big NeoContra
(08-29-2014, 01:15 AM)
Teknoman's Avatar
So is that sorta similar to when games use both the Genesis soundchip combined with redbook audio?
cj_iwakura
Member
(08-29-2014, 01:20 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar

Originally Posted by Teknoman

So is that sorta similar to when games use both the Genesis soundchip combined with redbook audio?

Something like that. It's rare, but this isn't the only game to do it, I'm told.
cacildo
Member
(08-29-2014, 01:29 AM)
cacildo's Avatar
God bless the translators

With the japanese game market looking more dire every day, this kind of project gets more and more valuable
Teknoman
Little Big NeoContra
(08-29-2014, 01:34 AM)
Teknoman's Avatar

Originally Posted by cacildo

God bless the translators

With the japanese game market looking more dire every day, this kind of project gets more and more valuable

I'll say. Not to mention it opens up all sorts of would be classics to a new crowd.
bishopcruz
Member
(08-29-2014, 06:49 PM)
bishopcruz's Avatar

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

Yeesh. Compile are some evil bastards.


Shadowrun uses the Sega CD and Genesis sides to program the text output.

Little wonder we had such a hard time cracking it.

Were you able to fix the constant freezes from a few months ago? Glad to hear its going well, or better at least, damn thing looks like hell to hack,
cj_iwakura
Member
(08-29-2014, 11:38 PM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar

Originally Posted by bishopcruz

Were you able to fix the constant freezes from a few months ago? Glad to hear its going well, or better at least, damn thing looks like hell to hack,

This update should fix that, yes. It was because of the Genesis factor.
cj_iwakura
Member
(09-07-2014, 03:12 AM)
cj_iwakura's Avatar
Testing out a new revision to fix the crashes. Text fixes hopefully to follow.

Thread Tools