• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Metal Slug versions out there?

Alright Neogaf...let's try this again.
First things first, if you don't notice input lag on metal slug Anthology (ps2,ps4) please consider that I and others do notice it so please look up threads concerning that issue.

I own a switch, wii u, ps4, vita tv.
I'm mostly interested in buying metal slug 1,2,X 3.

What do you guys think is the most arcade perfect port available at the moment?

I'll be having some friends over so I'm preparing in advanced.

Thanks guys.

Metal slug 1 is classic but I would say Metal slug 2 is a better buy. Metal Slug X is really the definitive version of Metal slug 2.

EDIT: As far as ports go I would recommend the anthology collection on PS4. contains all of them!

Wereroku

You don't need 2 and x just get x. The arcade archive versions are probably the best unless you want to setup mame or get a consolized mvs setup.

Producer

i've heard good things about the psp version of the anthology, but havent played it myself and not having an easy way to coop is a negative for me. Personally i enjoy playing the wii vc version though its not arcade perfect since the flashing effects on bosses/vehicles were removed. Its a bummer but i'll take it over input lag

STI

I just picked up the anthology on PS4 2 weeks ago for 5 bucks. 5 FUCKING BUCKS! FOR 7 FUCKING GAMES!

Zophar

Don't buy Anthology. Buy the individual releases on Steam/PS4/Switch. If you're only gonna play one, go with 3.

(Note: This will not include the VC and mobile versions (though said mobile versions are possibly Dotemu ports and were possibly ported for Steam), since I've never played those ones. I doubt it that they play the same either way comparatively as the MVS/AES versions, but they might or might not have issues.) Ditto with the Switch versions, never played them.

Ports and Differences:

MS1:
1. MVS/AES: The originals, no problems there.
2. PS1/Saturn/NG-CD: Load times and cut animations vary, plus mission select, but includes combat school and art gallery depending on release.
3. PS3: NG-Station port done by M2 that's seemingly comparable to the MVS/AES originals with various options, along with online co-op.
4. Steam: Comparable to the PS3 port, but may have music/sound issues and maybe some other issues. Game runs a bit faster than normal. Also has online co-op and mission select.

MSX:
1. MVS/AES: Originals
2. PS1: Has load times between and cut animations plus mission select, but includes the combat school, art gallery, and another mission. (Blood types vary within region versions...JP PS1 has Red, US/EU has White.)
3. Steam: Comparable to MVS/AES, may have issues the same way as MS1, but really minor. Plays in normal speed. Also has online co-op and mission select.

MS3:
1. MVS/AES: Originals
2. PS2 (PAL/JP)/Original Xbox (All Regions): Plays the same as MVS/AES (dunno if these releases have a mission select.), includes bonus mini-games Storm the Mothership and Fat Island (only these console versions have these mini-games). (Note: The US OG Xbox release is strict for continuing, as it will send you back to the beginning of the mission if you use a continue. JP and EU regions doesn't do that and it respawns you back to where you died)
3. Xbox 360: Straight 1:1 port. Though its just a barebones port with no extras. (Blood is set to White if the 360's system is set to any language that isn't JP, which though makes the blood Red. It has online co-op, but its connections are unbearable for this port.)
4. PS3/4/Vita: Straight 1:1 port. barebones. Though this port has innaccurate difficulty settings, but it does have online co-op, and connections vary.
5. Steam: Also comparable to MVS/AES, may also have issues, but also really minor, also plays normal speed, and also has online co-op and mission select, gallery only for this one.

MS4:
1. MVS/AES: Straight port. Includes a gallery mode which doesn't actually work for some reason.
2. PS2/Xbox (standalone): Has functional gallery. Has a weird bug where sound effects stack, making it a VERY LOUD game. Was later bundled with MS5, although as far as I know it's identical to the standalone version.
3. Wii: Port of the AES version. Has white blood. Additionally, European players get white blood and it's in 50hz, so seriously do not buy this it is a bad idea.

MS5:
1. MVS/AES: S T R A I G H T P O R T.
2. PS2/Xbox: Released packed with MS4. The game tracks your best times for individual levels and full runs, and has the now-obligatory prisoner record and item collection sections. PS2 version has some weird stuttering issues (I don't know if MS4 has this too). Most importantly, there's a weird bug where the ending goes so fast that you can't hear the full credits song (Boooo . . . ).

MS6:
1. PS2 version has combat school, art gallery, etc.

MS7/XX:
1. Originally came out for Nintendo DS. All of the ports are the enhanced "XX" version, which I haven't actually played but as far as I know have alternate routes, more enemy variety, etc. No differences between them besides that.

Side note: There was a separate anthology game released in Korea and Europe called Metal Slug Complete PC (also known as Metal Slug Collection PC), with the same lineup as Anthology (so no MS7/XX). Beyond a poorly-implemented music test there's no extras like Anthology, no video options at all, save/load state options that only work in a single game session (if you close and try to load, it crashes) and control settings that don't recognise joypads (get Joy2Key on standby for this one) and make setting controls for two players impossible without Joy2Key, it seems. On the plus side, it has slightly better emulation than Anthology. Not an ideal way to play the game, honestly.

Just get the PSP Anthology and Metal Slug XX. Literally every Metal Slug game released (ok, except the GBA ones and Metal Slug 3D), and I never saw complaints of input lag on the PSP version of the anthology.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I see people mention anthology. What's wrong with that version?

basically not 100% arcade port, just emu

the separate releases are arcade ports iirc, the switch are anyway, from what I heard the Steam version isn't?

OmegaFax

I guess it's worth mentioning that the PSN port of Metal Slug 3 has cross-platform co-op. I played through the entire game on a PS4 while someone else played with me on a Vita online.

+ The PSP Metal Slug XX has one additional playable character not in Metal Slug 7.

EDIT: As far as ports go I would recommend the anthology collection on PS4. contains all of them!

Dude, no man.
Read the OP.

Side note. The only game that has no input lag is metal slug 7 (is that the one with ralf and clark?) Or it could be 6.

But any ms game after 3 sucks really.

Dude, no man.
Read the OP.

Side note. The only game that has no input lag is metal slug 7 (is that the one with ralf and clark?) Or it could be 6.

But any ms game after 3 sucks really.

MS6 and MS7 both have Ralf and Clarke. 7 has Leona.

I have and always will maintain that MS7 is the best game after MS1. Only bad game is Slug 4.

Jinroh

The PSP anthology. It has them all and they are real ports, not arcade perfect games, meaning there aren't any of those dreadful slowdowns. It's the best way to enjoy a game like MS2.

Is there a version outside of the Neo Geo that doesnt have those horrible slowdowns?

I think the Anthology games remove most of it. But you have to deal with the downsides, and the load shuddering makes up for it to an extent (and is even worse imo).

Your best bet is to run it in MAME or the like and overclock it.

Gitaroo

Xbox OG still has the best version of metal slug 3 as slow down is completely removed controller rumble and other extra. Might be the same for ps2 stand alone too but I don't have that since it was never released here. People trash the anthology collection but it actually runs better on vita and even the ps4 ps2 classics than the stand alone ps4 release, input lag is unfortunate however. Every other version seems to be running off some kind of emulator with performance similar to the arcade, means slow down.

finley83

Banned
Wii anthology version is great if you have a couple of Gamecube controllers. Unfortunately the western versions shipped without Classic Controller support, although the Japanese version has it for some reason.

I want to play the console versions of these games. Is there more consensus now as to which one is better? My choices are PS4 and Switch.

BiggNife

I want to play the console versions of these games. Is there more consensus now as to which one is better? My choices are PS4 and Switch.

The consensus is to avoid Anthology. I'm pretty sure the Switch and PS4 versions of the Arcade Archives ports are identical.

Playsage

PS4 and Switch should have the ACA versions (iirc they are exactly like the arcade version, so MS2 has the infamous slowdowns) available of 1 to X and the Code Mystics port of MS3

rmatheso

i've heard good things about the psp version of the anthology, but havent played it myself and not having an easy way to coop is a negative for me. Personally i enjoy playing the wii vc version though its not arcade perfect since the flashing effects on bosses/vehicles were removed. Its a bummer but i'll take it over input lag

PSP anthology is great, however you get a resolution drop on the games compared to the other ports. However, if you emulate it with PPSSPP and crank the resolution to 2X you get a full-res, 60fps version which I believe is the ultimate way to play the games.

Clockwork5

I wish I had seen this thread last night before I picked up the Anthology on PS4.

The sale price got me to bite on it but I noticed the input lag immediately. I'm usually not super sensitive to input lag but it is beyond noticeable in those games.

Near worthless piece of software.

Alright Neogaf...let's try this again.
First things first, if you don't notice input lag on metal slug Anthology (ps2,ps4) please consider that I and others do notice it so please look up threads concerning that issue.

I own a switch, wii u, ps4, vita tv.
I'm mostly interested in buying metal slug 1,2,X 3.

What do you guys think is the most arcade perfect port available at the moment?

I'll be having some friends over so I'm preparing in advanced.

Thanks guys.

Get 1,2,X,3 via steam and snake the roms out for use in FBA if your Vita TV has 3.60 or lower firmware. Also grab Metal Slug XX for PSP off PSN and run via Vita TV.

Vita TV is pretty much ideal for what you are asking provided you are ok with homebrew.

I have put so much time into XX on my actual vita. It was a dedicated metal slug handheld for the longest time. I love XX.

BiggNife

PS4 and Switch should have the ACA versions (iirc they are exactly like the arcade version, so MS2 has the infamous slowdowns) available of 1 to X and the Code Mystics port of MS3

Switch has an ACA port of MS3. Did PS4 never get one?

Also I will say I've never had an issue with the PC DotEmu version of Metal Slug 3 but their port of Shock Troopers was a trash fire compared to the Switch's ACA version so I'm kind of reluctant to get any more DotEmu ports.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Doesn't the Wii version of anthology not have the same performance issues as other versions?

Though most hit flashes are missing.

Anthology on Wii ran fine. Except that all the control options were shit and there were no hit flashes when you fight bosses.

I wish I had seen this thread last night before I picked up the Anthology on PS4.

The sale price got me to bite on it but I noticed the input lag immediately. I'm usually not super sensitive to input lag but it is beyond noticeable in those games.

Near worthless piece of software.

I even made a thread that reads "SONY should refund everyone money if you bought MS anthology"

This is truly surprising that lot's of Neogaf "HARD CORE" gamer's cant notice it,
we even had a guy trying to post gifs on how we were all wrong about the input lag, then it backfired on him since we could all tell the input lag except him.

Truly the most disappointed I've been with this forum since I joined.

Also, if you see the first post in this thread, I honestly think people trolling at this point.

MS 1,2,3,X is now on PS4 ACA NEOGEO series!

I never had any issues with the ACA double dragons games,
I wonder how good the metal slug ports are - also last I checked they only had MS 1 - now they've added all of them!?

How do they run?

Peltz

Is there a version outside of the Neo Geo that doesnt have those horrible slowdowns?

Vita anthology has no slowdown or input lag. Trust me, I own way too many copies of these games for many different platforms including the carts, themselves. I've felt the pain of bad ports (including the PS2 port) many many times over the years.

The anthology when played on a Vita has very minimal load times, no lag and scales pretty well on the handheld. No, the load times were not there on the original games, but when played on a Vita, they're virtually non-existent too. They're under 10 seconds and only occur before levels and do not disrupt the gameplay at all.

If I didn't have a Neo Geo, the Vita Anthology would easily win over anything on PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, and even the Wii Virtual console (due to the lack of flashing on bosses to indicate damage).

Anthology on Wii ran fine. Except that all the control options were shit and there were no hit flashes when you fight bosses.

The lack of hit flashes makes it unplayable. You literally do not know if you got any splash damage from throwing a grenade or shooting a Slug shell on the ground near a boss. That affects certain boss fights way too much to enjoy the series.

Playsage

Switch has an ACA port of MS3. Did PS4 never get one?

Also I will say I've never had an issue with the PC DotEmu version of Metal Slug 3 but their port of Shock Troopers was a trash fire compared to the Switch's ACA version so I'm kind of reluctant to get any more DotEmu ports.
PS4 has the Code Mystics port of MS3 (It's the version I got) and to me it doesn't feel bad.
They are the same who ported Garou and Samurai Showdown V on PS4

Vita anthology has no slowdown or input lag. Trust me, I own way too many copies of these games for many different platforms including the carts, themselves. I've felt the pain of bad ports (including the PS2 port) many many times over the years.

The anthology when played on a Vita has very minimal load times, no lag and scales pretty well on the handheld. No, the load times were not there on the original games, but when played on a Vita, they're virtually non-existent too. They're under 10 seconds and only occur before levels and do not disrupt the gameplay at all.

If I didn't have a Neo Geo, the Vita Anthology would easily win over anything on PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, and even the Wii Virtual console (due to the lack of flashing on bosses to indicate damage).

Vita Anthology compatible with pstv?

Peltz, have you tried the ACA MS for ps4?

Peltz

Vita Anthology compatible with pstv?

Yes. Bear in mind, I've never played a PSTV so can't comment on how the game will scale up to HD as far as visuals are concerned. But there is an "original pixel" mode in the game that should look perfect.

Peltz, have you tried the ACA MS for ps4?

No. That one, I have not tried. But I do know that the ACA ports retain the original slowdown, which means you're going to have a rough time enjoying MS2 if your goal is to play MS1-6 + X on your TV.

Bear in mind, I also recommend Metal Slug XX on Vita over the Xbox 360 version (by far).

A lot of people in the retro threads seem to like the ACA ports on Switch. So it may be worth a shot.

Top Bottom