• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

I get the general impression that they tried to give the game a crazier tone. Even the Xiba movelist has its ridiculous moments (use the bo as a tail ?) while Kilik's was rather elegant.

This was my main beef with Xiba, most of his moves, while different from Kilik's, are pretty cool in their own way...then he has the stupid "bo as a tail" thing and the goofy looking headbutts out of his combos.

I blame Xianghua's dad (the guy who trained Xiba). All of Xiba's moves that look retarded always have "Kong's this" or "Kong's that" as the name, meaning he learned that stupid shit from him. XD

Kilik needs to march in there and kick her dad's ass for letting him teach that shit to his son, lol.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I don't know if anyone got the reference of me using suicide on Floe lol

That's old man stuff.

This game is so fun. Got to play online quite a bit today. I'm sick so I bummed it out and put work aside to just grind out on the game.

How was the connection in cross country matches, Markman? Sabin seems to think it's pretty decent for now. It didn't look bad when you and the others from CA were playing the east coast guys.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
It was playable, for sure. I hate playing games online, but this isn't bad so far.

I was able to do some of the stricter timing combos, without issues. I was able to whiff punish and punish some moves that require some strict timing as well. So FAR so GOOD!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Mark, is Yoshimitsu's CE guaranteed against opponents rolling on the ground?

You can block it, but not if you roll to the side then backwards. It will catch backrollers who are in BT state. It hits low too btw and has a huge hit window.

Got burned out, I ran through Story Mode in one sitting. But now that I have that out of the way, tomorrow will be a lot better. That story mode is so convoluted.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
To be honest I skipped through the story cutscenes, I'll probably go through it later on after I get bored of practice mode/finding out stuff lol.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Man, I would have had some world record times shit on Legendary Souls mode. It took me a minute or less to beat every guy except EDGE MASTER who took me like 35 minutes. ARGH. That would have been awesome :(

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'm bored so in case anyone else wants to join the Yoshimitsu army, here are some combos :D

DGF = (8B+K stance)
iMCF = instant manji carve fist; 2a:B or FC a:B

I usually use these for 50/50 and shit, when I get the chance to apply pressure I go to dragonfly stance (DGF from here on out).

DGF K mixed up with DGF B.

If DGF K hits, you get this combo:

DGF K, 6B+KKKK, 3B or 2K after the slamdown.

The 6B+KKKK series is called the doorknocker. It has amazing RO (Ring Out) potential.

If DGF B hits, you get this combo:

DGF B, 3B, a:B+K (the sword up slice), 6B+KBBB, 2K. Unfortunately, this combo is not consistent on all characters! You have to mess around with it. I know it has a hard time landing on Nightmare and some other chars.

That's his basic combos really. If you want reliability you can just do 6K after 3B, if you're unsure the combo will hit.

ALSO! My favorite... the wall juice.

Wall hit (I usually do 3B into the wall or 66K knee), then 3B, 2A+BB, 6B+KBBB, 6B+KBBB into 2K. Fun damage and looks COOL :D

If you wanna be flashy learn the iMCF, you can combo after that (though hard) on CH (counter hit)... CH iMCF into 66B, then doorknocker series.

Enjoy x.x

I'm going to practice Z.W.E.I.

CPS2

At first I thought they took that move out >_< they've just made it a lot harder to do. I used to just hit A with my left index finger and B+K with my right hand, now I need an extra A button and a B+K button =[ Not sure if I can do it any other way...

edit: also I think you mixed up the doorknocker command as well =P 6B+K then BBBB

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
At first I thought they took that move out >_< they've just made it a lot harder to do. I used to just hit A with my left index finger and B+K with my right hand, now I need an extra A button and a B+K button =[ Not sure if I can do it any other way...

edit: also I think you mixed up the doorknocker command as well =P 6B+K then BBBB

FIXED!

Also yeah, I use a B+K button lol. I can't do it anymore. It was much easier in SCIV. I had to switch to sliding a:B+K so my button setup is like this now:

Code:
A    B    K
G  B+K A+B+K

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I was browsing the French FG site GnouzCorp when I noticed that they posted a sample of the FuturePress SC5 guide.

http://www.future-press.com/SC5_Mitsurugi.pdf

Apparently it was written by some top French and UK players - Saitoh, Hayate, Pantocrator, Jag the Gemini, Daggoth, and Hyrule... tempted to grab it now for the frame data, heh.

sephi22

Yo, I got the European Collectors edition URLEEEEYYY
It cost me $65. While thats not impressive on its own, its $8 less than what the regular edition will cost in retail stores in Dubai. Mom & Pop stores are godlike.

Its a bit different from the version Filthierich unboxed IIRC. The artbook has a different cover, there's a Patroklos card which is cool but pretty useless, there's a letter from the devs, there's the DLC code, the soundtrack disc and the DLC code are in the game case, which is weird because the artbook has the track list at the end, but I prefer it this way.

Shoutouts to Madcatz TE sticks, Art's hobbies, and crappy Nokia cellphone camera.

(Let me know if the pic is too big)

You can block it, but not if you roll to the side then backwards. It will catch backrollers who are in BT state. It hits low too btw and has a huge hit window.

Is there a good website to read up on the basics of Soul Calibur notation and such? I don't know what BT state means.

Ok so going from the G8 glitch thread, it's kinda turning out like crouch techs in Street Fighter? Beats a lot of options but you can slap their shit if you catch them doing it too much?

Doomshine

I have to say they have done a good job of making the game look flashy and exciting just through sound and visuals, I can't really put my finger on what it is exactly, but it's seems subtle.

CPS2

Ok so going from the G8 glitch thread, it's kinda turning out like crouch techs in Street Fighter? Beats a lot of options but you can slap their shit if you catch them doing it too much?

It seems a bit better than crouch teching, like it's pretty likely they'll patch it out, whereas there isn't really any point in patching out crouch tech.

This move might be punishable tho, like if a low has a specific number of startup frames, it could trigger the jump and then hit them as they land.

It seems a bit better than crouch teching, like it's pretty likely they'll patch it out, whereas there isn't really any point in patching out crouch tech.

This move might be punishable tho, like if a low has a specific number of startup frames, it could trigger the jump and then hit them as they land.

Plus, it only works on moves that start low, right? So a high/low move would still get them?

CPS2

Plus, it only works on moves that start low, right? So a high/low move would still get them?

You're basically meant to hold G and tap up on each hit, so you block all mids (overheads) and highs, and jump over lows. So it really depends on the timing of the multihit move and if you've recovered from a jump or whatever. Still to be determined how it works with specific strings I guess.

Krackatoa

Looks like Yoshi's combos are a lot like they were in SCIV. This pleases me.

iMCF = instant manji carve fist; 2a:B or FC a:B

If you wanna be flashy learn the iMCF, you can combo after that (though hard) on CH (counter hit)... CH iMCF into 66B, then doorknocker series.

Enjoy x.x

Yo, MM. Is iMCF any more lenient than in SCIV? The biggest pain was having to release A before hitting B to get it to register. EDIT: Nevermind, some scouring on 8WR reveals it totally IS easier to do.

CPS2

I see, so usually strings don't have enough guardstun to lock you in place? They're not like target combos.

They can do things like force you into a standing or crouching position, but it tends to be the later hit in a string that does this, so G8 could be really effective if people are too repetitive.

Well I'm glad that my boy ZWEI's mixups are somewhat unaffected compared to the rest of the cast because he can hit multiple times at once. Viola as well, I suppose.

From the thread, they're not sure if you can OS throw tech/jumping attack yet? I imagine that Seigfried would have beastly low punishes if he auto jumping slashed every low.

Is there any way to "fit" armor pieces and such better? As it stands now, everything just seems to hover bulkily over the person and most of the stuff that could be really cool just ends up looking terrible. Particularly things like vests and hoods and chest pieces.

I know for those three accessory slots on the bottom, you can move things around but I'm not finding that option for the regular parts

SUPARSTARX

Is there any way to "fit" armor pieces and such better? As it stands now, everything just seems to hover bulkily over the person and most of the stuff that could be really cool just ends up looking terrible. Particularly things like vests and hoods and chest pieces.

I know for those three accessory slots on the bottom, you can move things around but I'm not finding that option for the regular parts

From what I have experienced so far, you can't move regular armors and etc. The bulky armor doesn't look too out of place when you're playing in game.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Will have to wait till march to play this, after my vacations:(

Top Bottom