• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

soakrates

Thanks again everyone. I get so impatient against Hilde. Plus Cedric is just a pretty solid player. That was like the third match I played the entire night, hahaha. Hella fun.

soakrates

this game is so fucking good holy shit

so far ive won every match ive played with seigfried raphael and mitsurugi, and lost every match ive played with zwei :(

more impressions later, im almost up again
You still at the party? Let's play! I'm on the stage next to Ceirnian and Hates.

Not to keep the negative TK6 sales things going, but it's interesting.

Grayfox, or anybody. Does anybody have a sales breakdown of what price Tekken 6 sold per copy sold?

I seem to remember Namco shipping a lot to retailers, and I remember the price went down pretty quick (relatively).

I bought it at $30, and I know a lot of people bought it at $20.

It's just interesting how this kind of stuff pans out, and how much profit Namco is making if the price drops too fast, and if they have to pay some retailers back some money for unsold stock, and if Namco is like too bad, you bought those copies already.

O yea,

SC5 is awesome, hehe.
Yeah, Tekken 6 was $20-30 within a month of release. The stick bundle was heavily discounted too. It did not do well in its first month - back then there was plenty of discussion on here about what a BOMBA it was. If it did sell millions of copies they were at budget pricing.

Awesome party! Just got back, left a few minutes early. MarkMan, I was the guy in the EVO shirt you and Filthie pointed out in the line.

Anyway, my view from the line, which goes around the corner:
qrrhN.png

The gallery as I walked in:
xjVVg.png

The gallery right before the tournament:
wR3nu.png

The toy Mitsurugi I got:
kLolr.png

It IS a gallery, after all:
uMBFC.png

My impressions of the game:

• AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME
  • Feels exactly like Soul Calibur 2, maybe better?
  • Stage effects like rain, etc are beautiful
  • Quickstep is my favorite addition, so amazing
  • Due to the nature of moves in Soul, reversal ultras are insanely easy if you have an invincible one(Raphael's startup animation is actually a Shoryuken -_-)
  • Kind of seems like it's a little easier to knock people off stages with attacks and harder with throws? Not sure.

Characters I got to play:
  • Raphael - Feels really good, still has monster vertical attacks, his evasion moves are still awesome, and his Ultra is an SRK. I won a match by doing 3 Ultras in one round.
  • Seigfried - Actually the character I liked least, despite being one of my old mains. He seemed slow and I couldn't get him to change stances, but I only used him once.
  • Nightmare - Feels really fast and his stance changes are really awesome and flow well.
  • Ivy - Only used her once, but seemed... simpler. I guess.
  • Mitsurugi - Mitsurugi.
  • Ezio - Actually a lot of fun and really easy to pick up. Lot of great fast moves that can leave him pretty open if you miss.
  • ZWEI - Played this dude in more than half of my matches, and lost all of them lol. He's not easy to figure out, I need more time. That said, he's the most fun to play for me. His Stand attacks are really cool. His ultra has a long startup and isn't invincible but you can combo into and out of it which is nice.

I definitely can't wait, I had more fun with V today than I ever did with III and IV.

You still at the party? Let's play! I'm on the stage next to Ceirnian and Hates.

Sorry, didn't check gaf again after that :-(

I was in the far corner by the DJ most of the time since the lines were pretty small and it was on stick.

We could play when the game comes out, though.

Skilletor

[*]Feels exactly like Soul Calibur 2, maybe better?
    [*]Quickstep is my favorite addition, so amazing
  • Due to the nature of moves in Soul, reversal ultras are insanely easy if you have an invincible one(Raphael's startup animation is actually a Shoryuken -_-)
  • Kind of seems like it's a little easier to knock people off stages with attacks and harder with throws? Not sure.

Good. Goooood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfslY_AvhLw

soakrates

Yeah, it was a lot of fun. They had a ton of stations so I got to play a lot more than I did at Southtown. I wish they would have streamed casuals after the tournament, though. There were some really good matches being played on the main stage.

Hah, looking at my match on the stream, I don't know what I was thinking with all those 6As. Ah well.

I was in the far corner by the DJ most of the time since the lines were pretty small and it was on stick.

We could play when the game comes out, though.

Where are you located? There's going to be a gathering at Gamecenter in San Mateo on Feb. 11. Most of the stronger players in NorCal should be in attendance. It'll also be streamed.

CPS2

I'm at the gamespot tournament in Sydney, man yoshi is different to what i expected. I don't know how to go into his backturned stance, or do his ear slicer, and the speed of some moves has changed (feels slower), and some of his unblockables now appear to just be guard breakers.

Still haven't got the hang of it and am doing basic doorknocker combos after knockdown. Those still work and the rest of the stances are the same.

Gonna take a bit of getting used to but its fun. Need more time with it.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I had a great fuckin' time. I wish I could have played on stream and blew Jaxel up again ;)

Nice seeing everyone!

I tweeted some pics..... uhh but it's mostly with girls lol.

CPS2

Top 4 ^^

Technically i won a copy of the game, but they actually forgot to give it to me. Hopefully they can just send it out. Still, i can play this tonight cos the dude i went to the tournament with, won a copy in the raffle. That was a pretty hype tourney even tho it was all our first time playing. I'll post pics and videos later...

edit: one more quick impression tho, they've swapped around 22 and 11 8 way run moves with yoshi just to make him different, and ear slicer is definitely still in the game, but they've changed the command. They changed the command for door knocker too. Its not hard to adjust to, but i don't really get why they did this.

I predict a substantial graphical bump since it doesn't appear that the hardware will have to work so hard to manage all the epic boob physics from the last game...

Varth

Review Embargo is on 31/1 IIRC

First SC I actually have fun with in a LONG time. Level 19 and going on. Going with Hilde, and I'm starting to get a hold of her "boxer like" moves based on button hold. Enough to withstand B1-3 level quick match enemies, but not the BRUTAL A level ones like Harada or Algol who juggle you to death the moment you repeat any move two times or lose the initiative (very smart IA, gotta say).

I feel like I'm missing a lot of the basics, though, like ground evasive moves. Any link to some beginner's guide and bnb techniques for Hilde?

[*]Feels exactly like Soul Calibur 2, maybe better?

• [*]Raphael - Feels really good, still has monster vertical attacks, his evasion moves are still awesome, and his Ultra is an SRK. I won a match by doing 3 Ultras in one round.
  • Seigfried - Actually the character I liked least, despite being one of my old mains. He seemed slow and I couldn't get him to change stances, but I only used him once.
  • Nightmare - Feels really fast and his stance changes are really awesome and flow well.
  • Mitsurugi - Mitsurugi.
  • Ezio - Actually a lot of fun and really easy to pick up. Lot of great fast moves that can leave him pretty open if you miss.
  • ZWEI - Played this dude in more than half of my matches, and lost all of them lol. He's not easy to figure out, I need more time. That said, he's the most fun to play for me. His Stand attacks are really cool. His ultra has a long startup and isn't invincible but you can combo into and out of it which is nice.

I definitely can't wait, I had more fun with V today than I ever did with III and IV.
That is so awesome to hear! CANNOT. WAIT.

By the way MarkMan, I'm not a fan of Sanwa but those sticks still felt really good and I like the clear sides. Makes sense that you can see the core of the stick in a Soul game.

Where are you located? There's going to be a gathering at Gamecenter in San Mateo on Feb. 11. Most of the stronger players in NorCal should be in attendance. It'll also be streamed.

I live downtown, south of Market. I can actually walk to Southtown Arcade no problem, and I'll actually be able to this semester because I changed my schedule to only have class 3 days a week(10 hours a day...).

big words. you sure that's not some honeymoon bullshit?

I just meant the pacing, but it's been a while since I've played 2. That was the first thing that came into my head when I played, though. I've played a bit of Soul IV recently and it didn't feel like that for sure. The reason I say maybe better is 100% quickstep. You have no idea how much that move improves how smooth the game feels.

CPS2

big words. you sure that's not some honeymoon bullshit?
I'm not seeing any connection to SC2. I don't really get it. The connections to SC4 are really obvious tho. Still it's not a bad thing, it's definitely a different game to SC4 because you have super meter and the new sidestep and whatever.

Skilletor

I'm not seeing any connection to SC2. I don't really get it. The connections to SC4 are really obvious tho. Still it's not a bad thing, it's definitely a different game to SC4 because you have super meter and the new sidestep and whatever.

You don't?

You don't see how frame advantage helps (where SC4 had very little)
You don't see how recovery frames being less helps (where SC4 had tons)
You don't see how the quick step is similar to the dodge SC2 had?
You don't see how overall movement speed is closer to SC2 than SC4?

You don't see why somebody would say it feels similar to SC2 given all of these things?

OSHAN

You don't?

You don't see why somebody would say it feels similar to SC2 given all of these things?

The man calls himself CPS2 but has a CPS3 avatar. He's gone all gobbledegoo.

CPS2

The frame advantage / disadvantage and recovery changes weren't what stood out to me. What stood out to me was tighter timing windows on some moves (compared to SC4), slower startup on some moves (compared to SC4), changed inputs, but still the same moves as SC4 for the most part. It honestly seems a bit weird for me to be naturally comparing this to SC4 and seeing everyone thinking along the same lines on 8wr, and I'm supposed to be thinking general frame data changes somehow make this similar to SC2. Basically for the character I use, he had a very different moveset in SC2 and 3, but in 4 and 5 it's similar to the point where you compare them directly.

No. I don't know I guess if whatever characters you used feel like their SC2 incarnations then that could be your reaction, I don't really get it.

V_Arnold

CPS2, you are basically mistaking "the GAME feels like SC2" with "my character feels like in SC2". Try to think about this for now.

CPS2

I think all that you're really saying is that quickstep is like the dodge in SC2. Alright I guess, sort of.

I don't agree with anything else said at this stage. Like I played a fair bit of SC4 and can tell you exactly what changed between 4 and 5. To say that 5 is like 2, you're kinda talking a bit broadly there and I don't think it's accurate at all.

CPS2, you are basically mistaking "the GAME feels like SC2" with "my character feels like in SC2". Try to think about this for now.

• Feels exactly like Soul Calibur 2, maybe better?

• Raphael - Feels really good, still has monster vertical attacks, his evasion moves are still awesome, and his Ultra is an SRK. I won a match by doing 3 Ultras in one round.
  • Mitsurugi - Mitsurugi.

The SC2 comparison was grouped with his general impressions of the game if I am reading things right.

Skilletor

I think all that you're really saying is that quickstep is like the dodge in SC2. Alright I guess, sort of.

I don't agree with anything else said at this stage. Like I played a fair bit of SC4 and can tell you exactly what changed between 4 and 5. To say that 5 is like 2, you're kinda talking a bit broadly there and I don't think it's accurate at all.

Nawp, that's not all I'm saying. But that's okay. You don't think change in game speed and frame data make it feel different. Others do.

Monocle

Big surprise there
Srsly rite. But at least Namco wouldn't be throwing away a perfectly good style. Speaking of which, it'll be cool if Zas makes it into the roster. Seems like he'd be fun with the faster movement, and an interesting matchup against the likes of Viola and ZWEI.

Skilletor

Srsly rite. But at least Namco wouldn't be throwing away a perfectly good style. Speaking of which, it'll be cool if Zas makes it into the roster. Seems like he'd be fun with the faster movement, and an interesting matchup against the likes of Viola and ZWEI.

I was really looking forward to his brave edge stuff. He was already sick without it. Hope he does come back.

Top Bottom