• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Welp, there's a spoiler page or two out and

Forget everything about Eri having limits on what she can do (apparently), she can seemingly keep continuously winding Deku back so he can use 100% Full Cowl now.

At least this might mean the VA will snatch her, because there's no way she can be allowed to stay around unless they do some thing where everyone refuses to accept her help out of some ethical concern about child labor or "well I accept my fate."

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Deku to his class:
And she healed my arms by rewinding time on them.
She's in protective custody, no one knows where she is now, not even me.

Iida: So you are saying she could have
healed my brother
?

qB3T7DX.png

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The only way to avoid having that be a complete cop out is that Eri gets extremely exhausted when using it and has to sleep for a long time. Or something so that it isn't 100% OP

LotusHD

Banned
Welp, there's a spoiler page or two out and

Forget everything about Eri having limits on what she can do (apparently), she can seemingly keep continuously winding Deku back so he can use 100% Full Cowl now.

At least this might mean the VA will snatch her, because there's no way she can be allowed to stay around unless they do some thing where everyone refuses to accept her help out of some ethical concern about child labor or "well I accept my fate."

Oh no bro...

NSESN

Ok
This doesn't make absolutely sense. How can her erase quirks or people?
I am not really mad about it being broken, I am mad that Kohei basically changed what her quirk is about. And she awakening can't explain it because it doesn't make any sense that she knows how to use that power from get go when Mirio took years to learn how phase through things.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I wouldn't compare Mirio's quirk taking time to learn compared to anyone elses.

The main problem with Mirio's quirk was how hard it was to use in practice. Just to walk through a wall you have to phase, but only partially so that you don't fall through the ground completely. Unphase your leg that went through and then phase the other side to go over.

DNAbro

Ok
I am not really mad about it being broken, I am mad that Kohei basically changed what her quirk is about. And she awakening can't explain it because it doesn't make any sense that she knows how to use that power from get go when Mirio took years to learn how phase through things.

I'm saying the same thing as I did before,
rewind it back to a point of non-existence.

NSESN

I wouldn't compare Mirio's quirk taking time to learn compared to anyone elses.

The main problem with Mirio's quirk was how hard it was to use in practice. Just to walk through a wall you have to phase, but only partially so that you don't fall through the ground completely. Unphase your leg that went through and then phase the other side to go over.

I agree.
But learning how to rewind in a instant doesn't make sense.

I'm saying the same thing as I did before,
rewind it back to a point of non-existence.
The problem is she learning how to control it in a instant. One time to protect from OH is one thing, but she using her power on Deku shouldn't be the same. It totally goes against "quirks are like muscles that get stronger with training" talk that the manga always had.
My problem isn't with broken quirks, my problem is with the quirk being broken without training. Overhaul for example is super broken but you don't get the vibe that Chisaki didn't train it. Same thing with Mirio's phase or Tamaki quirk, 2 really broken powers that weren't that broken when they started using it.

caliph95

While it probably doesn't apply to everyone it seems a common factors with quirks is that they're fairly weak unless you train with it

Again not everyone but applies to Suneater, Kirishima, maybe best Jean and paper ninja, maybe Bakugo since he only seems to be able to sparks as a kid

kirblar

Ok
It makes complete sense.
She killed her father by reverting him to a microscopic embryo. She doesn't actually erase quirks, she rewinds their development. This is why the Quirks came back for the first batch of bullets. The implication from this reveal about her powerset is that Mirio isn't actually screwed permanently, but is still going to have about a 4-year time out. (which is an eternity in Manga print/publishing time.)

NSESN

While it probably doesn't apply to everyone it seems a common factors with quirks is that they're fairly weak unless you train with it

Again not everyone but applies to Suneater, Kirishima, maybe best Jean and paper ninja, maybe Bakugo since he only seems to be able to sparks as a kid

That is what I am talking about.

DNAbro

I agree.
But learning how to rewind in a instant doesn't make sense.

The problem is she learning how to control it in a instant. One time to protect from OH is one thing, but she using her power on Deku shouldn't be the same. It totally goes against "quirks are like muscles that get stronger with training" talk that the manga always had.
My problem isn't with broken quirks, my problem is with the quirk being broken without training. Overhaul for example is super broken but you don't get the vibe that Chisaki didn't train it. Same thing with Mirio's phase or Tamaki quirk, 2 really broken powers that weren't that broken when they started using it.

yeah that's dumb. I want to see if the actual chapter explains more.

NSESN

So apparently she can't control her quirk. The only reason she isn't killing Deku because the 100% damages him faster than her rewind. I feel a bit more relieved now.

NSESN

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh just gonna wait until tmrw

It is still better than the ffirst spoiler, I thought Eri would heal everyone without problems. That way is still broken but actually makes some bit of sense.
I will still wait until the capter to have my final thoughts.

So apparently she can't control her quirk. The only reason she isn't killing Deku because the 100% damages him faster than her rewind. I feel a bit more relieved now.

Okay that's... a solution. I'm not sure if it actually makes sense, but it's clever on paper and prevents the
"Eri can just heal everyone right now unless the VA grabs her immediately"
BS from happening.

Okay that's... a solution. I'm not sure if it actually makes sense, but it's clever on paper and prevents the
"Eri can just heal everyone right now unless the VA grabs her immediately"
BS from happening.

I think the idea is that
Deku is constantly changing his state so fast, in a Deadpool-esque 'every part of me is dying' kinda way, that her powers can only rewind the most immediate thing.

Hopefully the full chapter does clear things up. This isn't the easiest of powers to get, especially in a translation.

MrCinos

Anyone else thought it's Nejire who did the big blast and then got pulled back into a lame reality? Ryukyuu got jobbed hard too all things considered.

Anyway, Eri needs to be dealt with via LoV kidnapping her or her being banned from quirk usage for a few years. I don't want her to be an instant heal button. Easily the worst chapter this arc and the only one I'd rate less than 7/10. Then again, the whole thing increases the odds of her being kidnapped even more which I really want to happen.

Mendrox

Well one thing which is cool is that we will see how 100% will look like for him now. :3

Also the badass eye browns were phenomenal.

LotusHD

Banned
Also there is a hilariously depressing irony in the action going to the surface shortly after the girls finally make their way down to where Deku and co. were.

Ascheroth

First thing, art is a shitload better right from the beginning. Horikoshi is back to normal.

This is absolutely phenomenal framing. Just goddamn.
Wanted to mention that too, that page is amazing.

As for the power, I probably need to let it sink in a bit, but I think it makes sense (as long as Eri stays away from Deku.)
OfA is constantly damaging Deku, so Eri's power rewinds his state back to being non-damaged and before she can rewind him further he's damaged again, and the cycle repeats endlessly.
...It's actually a really cool idea.

Also she's not an instant heal button, because her quirk rewinds way too fast and she can't control it.
She only starts being broken once she can selectively target areas to rewind and the speed of her rewind (which I hope doesn't happen for a loooooong time, or at all).
And the implication is also that she can't rewind a rewind.
Rewinding an object into a previous state erases the current state, so there's no way to rewind back to it, because the 'target state' doesn't exist anymore.
So no magical recovery for Mirio if I'm right.

I hope I'm right :p

Lakuza

awesome chapter, also agree with that page near the start of the chapter looking amazing.

so we now have a fight where both sides will be healing damage and stamina back :D Nice way to balance the odds against chisaki. Chisaki needs to knock eri out in one attack to prevent rewinds (+ deku at the same time to guarentee his victory) and deku needs to knock out chisaki in one attack to stop him from healing himself.

Also hopefully, using 100% regularly here will give deku a better understanding of how to achieve higher % after the arc.

Yeah, it feels like Eri only works as a temporary limit break here because of the very specific circumstances. Otherwise, I do get what Horikoshi is going for here - he wants the abused to have a part in taking down their abuser.

That said, the execution could have been better, and I hope Horikoshi is able to learn from the stumbling points of the arc. I don't feel it's been outright terrible, but it's certainly been less consistent and well paced than previous stories.

Top Bottom