• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

I finally got around to listening to Sunn O))). The vocals on Big Church are great. I don't think I've heard something that manages to sound downright evil like this before.

I saw them live quite a few years ago at a festival. Knew nothing about them but it was pretty damn cool, I should get around to actually listening to their albums one day.

Ravager61

I love SunnO))). Top 3 bands for me for sure. I'm glad you guys are showing them some love.But I totally get anyone who says they don't like them. They are an acquired taste for sure.

I took a friend of mine to a show of theirs who had never heard them but has a pretty open mind about music and he said it was the worst show he's ever been to. I however, loved it. The atmosphere is just incredible. Plus, I got to see Attila live which was awesome even if I couldn't hear 1 fucking word he was saying.

So guys and gals, are there any decent metal music videos? I really enjoy a solid video of the song being recorded in the studio. For instance, this video for 'Nightbird's Song' by Amorphis.

I always had a massive distaste for videos that had ust weird connections with them. 'Was It Worth It?' by COB sticks out to me because it's just them playing at a skate park while some dude skates around them. From what I recall, the band manager at the time also manaed this skater so it was a 'natural' thing to mix the two.

Norther's 'We Rock' was also pretty bad to watch. Those female dancers and crazy stage lighting of silly proportions made it pretty cringeworthy to watch. I guess I also dislike the 'simulated' live videos to that extent?

Are there any proper good metal music videos? Obviously there must be. I ust don't know of them!

So guys and gals, are there any decent metal music videos? I really enjoy a solid video of the song being recorded in the studio. For instance, this video for 'Nightbird's Song' by Amorphis.

I always had a massive distaste for videos that had ust weird connections with them. 'Was It Worth It?' by COB sticks out to me because it's just them playing at a skate park while some dude skates around them. From what I recall, the band manager at the time also manaed this skater so it was a 'natural' thing to mix the two.

Norther's 'We Rock' was also pretty bad to watch. Those female dancers and crazy stage lighting of silly proportions made it pretty cringeworthy to watch. I guess I also dislike the 'simulated' live videos to that extent?

Are there any proper good metal music videos? Obviously there must be. I ust don't know of them!

Pegazus - Cry Out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNLA2aHnPL8

Tankard - Stay Thirsty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec51yi2yYq4

metal videos are at their best when it's not taken seriously.

Skinboy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs5py6K2Sgk (It's about the gay nazi community.)

Two other good ones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4lGj_VBJxk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW6SDEelRxQ

Ever felt like just singing into a pinecone?

nynt9

1318417916_1318416898_front.jpg

One of my favorite bands. Chuck was way ahead of his time. RIP. A guitarist's guitarist. ^^The reissue cover is better than the original IMO.

Incredible timeless classic, one of my all-time favorite albums. I can't decide if I like the OG cover better or the new one. Same with the production, both versions have their own merits. But all the songs are top tier.

By the way, do we have a rule against plugging our own bands? If not I'd like to share something I'm involved in that people here might like, and I'd like opinions on it because my own circle of friends are very like-minded so getting different opinions about stuff isn't easy.

Wow. I couldn't stop laughing throughout the whole two videos.

By the way, do we have a rule against plugging our own bands? If not I'd like to share something I'm involved in that people here might like, and I'd like opinions on it because my own circle of friends are very like-minded so getting different opinions about stuff isn't easy.

I don't think any of of us here do, but Gaf may have a problem. I don't know, you might want to check out the terms of service.

I listened to five different Iron Maiden albums over the past week, and I'm not wild about them. They're definitely not on the same level as Black Sabbath for me. I don't know if this is sacrilege, but it's mainly the vocals that are turning me off.

Moving on to Megadeth!

friday

Digging some Cursed tonight.

Quick question, I really dig Godflesh's album Streetcleaner, but beyond that I have not listen to their stuff. What else should I look into album wise?

Quick question, I really dig Godflesh's album Streetcleaner, but beyond that I have not listen to their stuff. What else should I look into album wise?

Everything?

But seriously, I recommend Pure next, as it's their second best (Streetcleaner is my favorite). If anything, those two albums are essential (though check out their other work as well if you enjoy it). Also, the S/T EP is essential early Godflesh.

Pretty much everything. They all vary quite a bit, but are all very good.

My recommendations:
S/T
Pure
Merciless
Cold World
Slavestate

If you want a Godflesh clone, then Dead World does it pretty well.

Really, anything Justin Broadrick related is amazing. Just when you thought there couldn't be anything left to do in a similar vein to Godflesh, Justin Broadrick forms Jesu and is pretty much everything Godflesh fans wanted while sounding fresh. It's a HUGE step up from Godflesh, but all very familiar. One of my favorite bands within the last 10 years or so.

Jesu - Friends Are Evil
Jesu - Heartach
Jesu - Silver

Tarkus

I listened to five different Iron Maiden albums over the past week, and I'm not wild about them. They're definitely not on the same level as Black Sabbath for me. I don't know if this is sacrilege, but it's mainly the vocals that are turning me off.

Moving on to Megadeth!
I'm not that big of a Maiden fan myself. I just never connected with them. Megadeth is pretty good. I just like certain tracks off of their early albums. Rust in Peace is very good, but I don't think its anywhere near the level of any of Metallica's trilogy. People love Marty Friedman, but as a guitar player myself, I've always thought his leads were very technical but soulless. All of those Shrapnel guys were like that. Countdown is their best written and sounding album.
Try Slayer's South of Heaven.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbGqPRFyHtg

Countdown is their best written and sounding album.

seriously? That's definitely a minority opinion. I like it just fine, and its production (original release only) is fantastic but it's really not a lethal thrash album. Songwriting took a hit from being technically a step down. Rust was their last really great LP. I would say if someone were to listen to Megadeth for the first time they should check out Peace Sells, and then Rust.

ShaneB

Moving on to Megadeth!

Sacrilege. I'm not sure we can be friends anymore.

Moving on to Megadeth!

Six, six six! The thread post of the beast!
Hate and trolling was spawned to be released!

I kid, but really that's a shame. If you don't like Paul or Bruce's vocals then I can't imagine Mr. Mustaine will treat you any better. Maybe try Judas Priest if you haven't yet.

Edit: Also, if you're looking for some really good vocals, Devin Townsend is the titties:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nubJjB95VdY

Digging some Cursed tonight.

Every Godflesh release if of pretty good quality. I'd count Hymns and Us and Them, along with Streetcleaner being number one, as my favourites. Godflesh is pretty diverse in sound album wise.

Dunno seems like he prefers dudes who CAN'T sing.

It may be worth noting that it takes some time to warm up to the operatic, soaring singing of bands like Priest, Maiden, and much of the entire Power Metal genre. Believe it or not, since I come from a Thrash/Death/Black background, it took me a while to come around to the vocal style as well.

Tarkus

seriously? That's definitely a minority opinion. I like it just fine, and its production (original release only) is fantastic but it's really not a lethal thrash album. Songwriting took a hit from being technically a step down. Rust was their last really great LP. I would say if someone were to listen to Megadeth for the first time they should check out Peace Sells, and then Rust.
I don't think Countdown is a thrash album at all. That died with Rust. You're spot on about the production of the remaster sucking. The drums are up too high in the mix or something. In terms of someone new to metal, such as TragicComedy, Countdown seems appropriate and digestible. Gotta love Sweating Bullets right? That's Mustaine dealing with his heroin demons. The guitar work in the song is great and very fun to play.

Edit: Also, if you're looking for some really good vocals, Devin Townsend is the titties:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nubJjB95VdY

THAT'S more like it! Thanks.

It may be worth noting that it takes some time to warm up to the operatic, soaring singing of bands like Priest, Maiden, and much of the entire Power Metal genre. Believe it or not, since I come from a Thrash/Death/Black background, it took me a while to come around to the vocal style as well.

LOL @ the notion of me liking guys who can't sing.

You're correct, Andrew. I'm not familiar with metal as a whole, and some of the high pitched (borderline falsetto) vocals with excessive vibrato really doesn't appeal to me. It hinders my ability to enjoy the music, since that style dominates the mixes and pierces my ears.

I did like Ozzy a lot, but I think lower, gruffier vocals would mesh better with the music and themes.

ShaneB

THAT'S more like it! Thanks.

LOL @ the notion of me liking guys who can't sing.

You're correct, Andrew. I'm not familiar with metal as a whole, and some of the high pitched (borderline falsetto) vocals with excessive vibrato really doesn't appeal to me. It hinders my ability to enjoy the music, since that style dominates the mixes and pierces my ears.

I did like Ozzy a lot, but I think lower, gruffier vocals would mesh better with the music and themes.

I'll get you to like Maiden yet! Just confused because the stuff I showed you early on you did seem to like? Ah well. We'll chat and have another listening session, and I'll share some other bands.

Kaladin

Gave the Dio Tribute a spin, so far standouts are the Tenacious D and Metallica tracks. I'm going to give it more time to spin though and see if any others catch on.

SOME-MIST

yea, it's an okay venue (nothing to complain about like most venues in Chicago)... but the area you'll be in is phenomenal. people usually refer to wicker park as the "hipster" part of Chicago, but it has a bunch of awesome art, bars/restaurants, etc...

you shouldn't have any problem finding something to do in the area. Kuma's Corner in Wicker Park is the renowned metal burger bar with the original location in Wicker Park and a slightly less crowded location in Lakeside (15 minutes north). They're the ones who were in the news for putting church wafers on their burger "The Ghost". All their burgers are named after metal bands too lol. keep in mind that it's first come first serve (no reservations) and the wait is typically an hour and a half at the original location.
http://www.kumascorner.com/

Reggie's is kind of in the middle of nowhere, but there's a Harold's Chicken right by it which is a huge plus for me.

Kaladin

yea, it's an okay venue (nothing to complain about like most venues in Chicago)... but the area you'll be in is phenomenal. people usually refer to wicker park as the "hipster" part of Chicago, but it has a bunch of awesome art, bars/restaurants, etc...

you shouldn't have any problem finding something to do in the area. Kuma's Corner in Wicker Park is the renowned metal burger bar with the original location in Wicker Park and a slightly less crowded location in Lakeside (15 minutes north). They're the ones who were in the news for putting church wafers on their burger "The Ghost". All their burgers are named after metal bands too lol. keep in mind that it's first come first serve (no reservations) and the wait is typically an hour and a half at the original location.
http://www.kumascorner.com/

Reggie's is kind of in the middle of nowhere, but there's a Harold's Chicken right by it which is a huge plus for me.

I'm gonna have to check that burger place out. I'm already planning on getting a deep dish somewhere though.

SOME-MIST

worth it for at least a beer and to check out the vibe. they're usually playing sludge/drone metal 24/7 with some weirdo movies playing on silent (last time I was there they were playing Gilliam's Time Bandits on silent lol). their burgers are extremely filling so if interested I would do that on the non-deep dish day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzp_0snR2FE

you should also be right by pequod's which has phenomenal deep dish.

Ravager61

Are we ok to post our own stuff? I won't make this a habit but I made some music and I'd really like some feedback from people who are into metal.

https://soundcloud.com/candlegoat-1/untitled-demo-song-take-2

Going for a raw black metal/punk type sound and I think it turned out ok. No vocals or anything since I don't want someone in my apartment building to call the cops on me for screaming loudly. I really thew this together in a few hours but it's my first attempt at recording anything so I'd really like to hear what you guys think.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Dammit. There's like 8-10 people on last.fm listening to the new Agalloch and I know they're all reviewers but I don't care, I'm still jealous.

Flynn

That makes a ton of sense. But Ozzy, I LOVE, but dude is a mess vocally. He's like the Neil Young of metal.

It does. After 20+ years I'm still not able to stomach it, unfortunately. I eventually got to a point where I can listen to Maiden/Priest some. Odd though, I can listen to a blood curdling scream all day long but, a lot of the power metal stuff makes me cringe. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. I do appreciate a lot of the guitar work though. To each their own I guess.

I'll get you to like Maiden yet! Just confused because the stuff I showed you early on you did seem to like? Ah well. We'll chat and have another listening session, and I'll share some other bands.

It might have been more in the context of me listening to several albums back to back. Basically, I went into an exclusive Iron Maiden mode for a few nights while playing Diablo and his voice started wearing thin on me after awhile. I'm not positive I was listening to their best stuff (although, literally, one of the albums was a "Best Of" compilation, haha).

It does. After 20+ years I'm still not able to stomach it, unfortunately. I eventually got to a point where I can listen to Maiden/Priest some. Odd though, I can listen to a blood curdling scream all day long but, a lot of the power metal stuff makes me cringe. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. I do appreciate a lot of the guitar work though. To each their own I guess.

It's very subjective, I suppose, but I think the combination of the higher range notes combined with the excess vibrato doesn't work for me. I know every genre ends up having a rough prototype for vocal styles (I grew up listening to and playing punk, after all), but that particular belting strikes me as a bit silly and forced. It reminds me a bit of the hair rock or glam rock vocal styles of the 70s and 80s, which aren't my cup of tea.

The Iron Maiden guitar work, I will say, is top notch. I like their drum work. It's solely the vocals that don't work for me.

That makes a ton of sense. But Ozzy, I LOVE, but dude is a mess vocally. He's like the Neil Young of metal.

I would say he is unique in his sound, not empirically bad. I haven't listened to later Ozzy, but the early stuff is edgy and very original in its sound. I would concede that he is not a technically brilliant singer, but I've always been drawn to different sounding voices. Some of my favorite singers aren't all that great from a purely objective standpoint, but they mesh perfectly with their style of music.

Flynn

I would say he is unique in his sound, not empirically bad. I haven't listened to later Ozzy, but the early stuff is edgy and very original in its sound. I would concede that he is not a technically brilliant singer, but I've always been drawn to different sounding voices. Some of my favorite singers aren't all that great from a purely objective standpoint, but they mesh perfectly with their style of music.

Very well stated. How about Motorhead then?

Top Bottom