• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

Melfice7

2e2mk4l.jpg

I was warning he was next to go down

21osrkm.jpg

Awesome lightening

35aljic.jpg

Huge jump :eek:

2f09jrq.jpg

Vista

2llmvkp.jpg

Vista 2

karalj.jpg

Chaos jump, it didn't end well

2r3bg2a.jpg

The car actually bumped me and saved me from crashing the tower and he was rewarded :D

2lxwda9.jpg

I lost mah wheel

309ledy.jpg

Crushed in mid air

9692yu.jpg

szy8i0.jpg

Ouch

This game can be cruel online.
I managed to lose about 50% of my online rank because of this prick named tgfrrr.
good player but takes out half the field at the start of every race. :(

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Finally got the game last night. It plays fantastic and most tracks so far look fantastic too. Lava and water look great, and the 2nd 'Earth' level was awesome. I'm glad to see the motion controls are there, in the the third control setup. Demo scared me thinking they won't be there.

I recently started to play this game and i must say that i haven't been able to put this down. It's so much fun! I keep trying to get gold on every track (currently on level 4). I haven't been frustrated like i was with Burnout Paradise (love that game too). Does the difficulty ramp up like crazy after level 4?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BeeDog said:
God, this game is beautiful. <3 Need to start playing it again.
Broken online ruined it for me.

Remf

The online is not broken, works fine with no lag, but the voice chat is definitally broken though. The voice chat cuts in and out all the time. Hopefully they will fix that in a future patch.

Online has been working flawlessly for weeks now.
I've been racing people from japan and europe with no hint of lag at all.
With warhawk i usually had 600ms+ lag with japanese and Euro plaeyers.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
G-Bus said:
eh?

Sometimes it lags but I don't see how it's broken. Explain.
Sure, I'll do that.

In 1/5 of all the races, that fucking bug shows up. You know, the one that turns you from first place to last, lowering your Experience points, never allowing you to rank up.

Yeah, that's the one.

Broken piece of shit. Why should I always worry about this when I play the game online? It shouldn't be there, they should've fixed this even before releasing the game.

Goldrusher

Seiken said:
In 1/5 of all the races, that fucking bug shows up. You know, the one that turns you from first place to last, lowering your Experience points, never allowing you to rank up.

Yeah, that's the one.

Broken piece of shit. Why should I always worry about this when I play the game online? It shouldn't be there, they should've fixed this even before releasing the game.
Yeah, you should be awarded a certain percentage for winning, but not lose some for losing.
Sure, it keeps the online mode alive, but one bad finish and you lose hours worth of xp.

And don't get me started on the really good players out there, who finish on their own.

G-Bus

Banned
I don't know what you guys are doing to lose so many points that it turns you off of the game.

Lost a good 10 races back to back one night last week where I placed anywhere from 5th to 11th (out of 12) and lost 6 points total. That's hardly hours of exp lost.

To be fare I don't completely understand the point system. It never seems to be the same amount for winning races or losing for that matter. When I was rank 4 I lost a race and it cost me 15 points.. I got that back within 2 races tho.

dfyb

Banned
it's annoying that there's not a 'delete all on page' option for the photos in the game... takes too long to clean up.

dfyb

Banned
MSPR_dfyb_7.jpg

MSPR_dfyb_8.jpg

MSPR_dfyb_d10.jpg

for some reason it feels like the water looked better while in-game while i was taking the pic...

MSPR_dfyb_d5.jpg

traffic jam

MSPR_dfyb_d9.jpg

i'm the motorcycle :(

i still hate how there's no motion blur in photo mode -- there's really no workaround?

---------------

but just talking about the game -- i'm really liking it. i really miss the old Rush games, but motorstorm helps to fill that void and brings its own flare as well.

dfyb

Banned
MSPR_dfyb_7_1.jpg

MSPR_dfyb_8_1.jpg

MSPR_dfyb_9_1.jpg

MSPR_dfyb_10_1.jpg

MSPR_dfyb_5_1.jpg

here's some more pics. it's ridiculous that i have to take the screenshot while moving the camera to fake a little motion blur that's already in the game while you're playing it.

BatmanX

Remf said:
The online is not broken, works fine with no lag, but the voice chat is definitally broken though. The voice chat cuts in and out all the time. Hopefully they will fix that in a future patch.

Online is near perfect but voice chat needs work, I'm agree. Better, much better tha motorstorm 1 but still far from perfect. Sony NEEDS to improve and give a standard voip quality on psn at least on the first party games, this is mandatory really

G-Bus said:
I don't know what you guys are doing to lose so many points that it turns you off of the game.

Lost a good 10 races back to back one night last week where I placed anywhere from 5th to 11th (out of 12) and lost 6 points total. That's hardly hours of exp lost.

To be fare I don't completely understand the point system. It never seems to be the same amount for winning races or losing for that matter. When I was rank 4 I lost a race and it cost me 15 points.. I got that back within 2 races tho.

I think the points work depending on the ranking of other players playing.
So if you're a legend and win against a room full of beginners then you'll only get 2 points for a win, if you place last you'll lose a sack full of points.
I like the system, it makes 5th - 12th place battles more exciting.
5th = lose 1 point
12th = lose at least 10

DoomGyver

I just picked this game up a few days ago and I'm just getting into the Level 8 races. Fuck the AI in this game. I thought the AI in MS1 was bad, good grief this takes it to a another level.

You can take the shorter route with the faster vehicle and they'll still outrun you. Level 8 races are all about luck and timing. I can go the first 2 laps without ever using boost and still stay in 4-6 place and save the boost for the final lap and win. But fuck me if a big rig doesn't slam on his handbrake while he's infront of me.

/rant

It's an amazing fucking game.
I can't put it down, no matter how frustrating it can be.

Gibb

OK.. who has managed to get the Pugilist trophy? The one where you have to punch 5 other racers and finish first in one race? How do you do this?!

Goldrusher

Gibb said:
OK.. who has managed to get the Pugilist trophy? The one where you have to punch 5 other racers and finish first in one race? How do you do this?!
You can get that one in the non-ticket races, the arcade mode or whatever it's called. Just start an easy non-ticket race on your favorite track, with nothing but bikes and set it to 5 laps or something. Should be easy.

The "win a race without using boost" trophy has to be done on a ticket race though.

Wowbagger

Tried googling this, but couldn't find anything. I know the demo is supposed to be rather poor, but does it have collision detection issues that aren't in the full game?

I've been looking for a new racer and gave the demo another shot, and I'm having trouble with the truck (edit: not the monster truck, the other one). When taking the rightmost route from the start, along the edge of the cliff, I keep crashing into the second ramp. I swear I'm hitting the ramp dead center and there is no visible obstacle in sight, yet I crash like 50% of the time. Only happens with the truck. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. :/

EDIT: ARRGH. Now it happened with the bike, too. Looked like it went through the ramp, maybe that was just the crash taking the front of the bike off, though.

Erebus

Looks like the first update is around the corner.

The first major update for MotorStorm Pacific Rift is currently in the final stages of development and testing. This update contains many improvements and amendments to the game, as well as fixes to several issues reported on the forum, and is scheduled for release in the near future.

Details of the first update:

* Restrictions to the copying of Saved Data have been removed. This will make it possible for Saved Data to be backed up and then restored to the User Account it was created under (whether that’s on the same PLAYSTATION 3 or not).*
* Changes to the way the game handles data. These changes will help to prevent Saved Data corruption.
* Visual notification of critical save progress has been added. A ‘MotorStorm Helmet’ icon will be displayed on-screen to warn users that critical data is being saved. This is in addition to the HDD Access light which currently flashes while the game makes a critical save.
* The glitch which enables a player to exploit the Boost system has been removed. The development team are working to identify which times have been achieved using this glitch; Action will be taken to ensure that the Leaderboards become genuinely competitive again.
* Time Attack times and Rank information will update correctly for all players. Any pending Time Attack times will begin to filter through systematically and the online Ranks should display correctly once the update is released.
* Additional fixes and improvements to gameplay. Many thanks for your feedback on these and other issues so far; we are still investigating the other issues that have been brought to our attention.

Should you notice anything about the game that you feel needs to be brought to our attention, please let us know via the VIP.MotorStorm.com forums.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...ific-rift-game-update-just-around-the-corner/

Yoshichan

So nothing about the most broken online part of the game?

GJ.

Goldrusher

^ It does mention "Additional fixes and improvements to gameplay", so we'll see.

* Restrictions to the copying of Saved Data have been removed. This will make it possible for Saved Data to be backed up and then restored to the User Account it was created under (whether that’s on the same PLAYSTATION 3 or not).*
Awesome! Even though it never should've been locked in the first place, awesome!

Wowbagger said:
Tried googling this, but couldn't find anything. I know the demo is supposed to be rather poor, but does it have collision detection issues that aren't in the full game?

I've been looking for a new racer and gave the demo another shot, and I'm having trouble with the truck (edit: not the monster truck, the other one). When taking the rightmost route from the start, along the edge of the cliff, I keep crashing into the second ramp. I swear I'm hitting the ramp dead center and there is no visible obstacle in sight, yet I crash like 50% of the time. Only happens with the truck. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. :/

EDIT: ARRGH. Now it happened with the bike, too. Looked like it went through the ramp, maybe that was just the crash taking the front of the bike off, though.

Pitch up by pressing down before hiting ramp.

keyrat

This game doesn't officially support wheels because the devs love fucking with me, but what happens if you try and use it? I heard pedals don't work but you could map the buttons to the wheel buttons on a G25; is there any feedback, though?

Sanjay

Seiken said:

GJ.

Goldrusher said:
Boost until it beeps.
Pause game.
Repeat.

If thats not it then what is? not pld online that much but is it where someone crashes and then end up teleported ahead of you?

Wowbagger

CurlySaysX said:
Pitch up by pressing down before hiting ramp.

Ah, thanks! I didn't know about those controls.

Why do help screens for controls in demos always go by so fast? They should be displayed until the user presses a button. Devs, listen up: I'm not gonna get a favourable impression of your demo if you don't give me enough time to properly study your control scheme. :(

GodofWine

Seiken said:

GJ.

????

Im guessing also its when it looks like someone crashes but keeps going ahead of you, but I though that was just lag/latency issues...? and that person really didn't crash? no?

Oh, and now I know the turbo glitch...so here I come golds in level 7!!!!

So, I did an experiment today, and I guess I could be the last one to find out, but have you tried to refrain from using boost in the higher rank races? Because I actually won some silvers and golds right now at the second attempt or so that way. I thought the way the rubberband AI compensates the players actions could work like that as well, and to my surprise, it does. I saw that vehicles in front of me seemed to slow down and I passed them easily without boosting :-O And by that, I mean being second while the 1st vehicle doesn't seem to use boost either for no reason *shrugs*

I've played a number of races online and I'm sure I got better these days, but not to the extent of being able to win ticket 8 races with nearly no boosting!

EDIT: I just got the all silver medals trophy this way :D

GodofWine

Philanthropist said:
So, I did an experiment today, and I guess I could be the last one to find out, but have you tried to refrain from using boost in the higher rank races? Because I actually won some silvers and golds right now at the second attempt or so that way. I thought the way the rubberband AI compensates the players actions could work like that as well, and to my surprise, it does. I saw that vehicles in front of me seemed to slow down and I passed them easily without boosting :-O And by that, I mean being second while the 1st vehicle doesn't seem to use boost either for no reason *shrugs*

I've played a number of races online and I'm sure I got better these days, but not to the extent of being able to win ticket 8 races with nearly no boosting!

EDIT: I just got the all silver medals trophy this way :D

Interesting....I did know that if you just sit still at the beginning for 30 seconds you can run them all down in no time, the AI is really really odd at the top...

I wish they would add eliminators online, that would be fun.

GodofWine said:
Interesting....I did know that if you just sit still at the beginning for 30 seconds you can run them all down in no time, the AI is really really odd at the top...

I wish they would add eliminators online, that would be fun.

And a race viewer for when you have been eliminated.

theBishop

Banned
How do the online community features compare with the original? I think I could get addicted to this game if it had a lot of stat tracking and leaderboards and stuff. The original was pretty barebones (in every respect).

Till then, I'll keep playing Burnout Paradise.

Top Bottom