• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Fallout 4 worth $20?

Tygamr

For $20 it's definitely worth it. I enjoyed my time with it. It's definitely an improvement over 3, but it falls short compared to New Vegas in almost everything except combat. Don't expect a well written story, or many quests with significantly different outcomes.

Said it before, and I'll say it again. No amount of mods was ever going to help this game become a great RPG/save it.

Oh shit this looks amazing
Never Change GAF

This thread just got me to play Fallout

I've accepted that New Vegas is a much better game in terms of story and gameplay (Which includes A LOT) but 3 will always be my favorite personally. I think that's why 4 was a disappointment to me because I was expecting to exceed 3 and I don't think it did.

Let me show you a hypothetical that reads exactly like your post does to long-time fans of the fallout Franchse.

With that said - I'm not going to tell you you're wrong, Fallout 4 is just fine if you don't care as much about story, about RPing, about some aspects of player choice.

It's just that I am still very uncomfortable with the thought that I can't place emphasis on story and writing when approaching a Fallout game, of all series, lest I walk away disappointed.

Bethesda owns the IP now. The Fallout of years ago is over. Bethesda games have always since Oblivion been rather shallow on the writing/story (I'd even argue that Morrowind was just an anomaly). Sometimes we get gems in parts of the game, like the Dark Brotherhood storylines in both Oblivion and Skyrim, but for the most part, people don't play Bethesda games for the story. Those that do must have incredibly low expectations.

Your post about Forza isn't even comparable. The Forza games use the same game engine and assets, both studios help each other out with resources from time to time. Post and Pre-Bethesda Fallout games are essentially different franchises outside of the lore.

NBtoaster

I love the game. There's no better game for wandering and exploring. I don't care much for the story or RPG elements but you can really just ignore those parts of the game.

GHG

Gold Member
If you can mod the shit out of it to make it the fallout game it was supposed to be then yes. If not then no.

SugarDave

$20 is probably a good deal for the amount of playtime you'll get out of it should you end up enjoying it, but you won't know that unless you gamble and find out.

I think it's a poor game and you're better off spending your time and money on something better.

What had bigger impact ? Well elder scrolls for a start....

Elder Scrolls? You had one game that released nearly a full decade before Witcher 3 and the other beyond that. How? They play like two completely different games. I've actually wondered why no one has bothered to copy the successful Bethesda to formula to be honest. I'd love for Obsidian to make a spiritual successor to the Fallout series. They'd need AAA money, first.

And again, what I said doesn't change. The Witcher 3 is the bar that's been set for RPG's moving forward, especially the fantasy stuff like ES.

Yes, it's worth $20.

It feels like Bethesda took more of a Diablo 3-approach to Fallout 4, and the "RPG" part of the game boils down to the gear you decide to use rather than the choices you make. Don't go into Fallout 4 looking for a role-playing experience, just shoot things and be become overpowered. It's received several patches to improve performance and is getting VR support this year.

If you didn't like Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas, there's a chance you'll love this game because it's almost nothing like them.

Teepo671

Yep, I think it's a pretty good bargain for 20 bucks. I enjoyed almost all of my 150+ hours in the Commonwealth, anyway. I'll probably return to it again later since I haven't had a chance to try the mod patch that was added to the PS4.

Dead Man

Elder Scrolls? You had one game that released nearly a full decade before Witcher 3 and the other beyond that. How? They play like two completely different games. I've actually wondered why no one has bothered to copy the successful Bethesda to formula to be honest. I'd love for Obsidian to make a spiritual successor to the Fallout series. They'd need AAA money, first.

And again, what I said doesn't change. The Witcher 3 is the bar that's been set for RPG's moving forward, especially the fantasy stuff like ES.

The question is what had the biggest impact. And you think there are only two ES games?

The question is what had the biggest impact. And you think there are only two ES games?

Two games that were very relevant before Witcher, and I was being nice by including Morrowind. Oblivion and Skyrim really took ES to the next level. The answer of which is still the same. Witcher had a bigger impact in gaming than any of the ES games.

Two games that were very relevant before Witcher, and I was being nice by including Morrowind. Oblivion and Skyrim really took ES to the next level. The answer of which is still the same. Witcher had a bigger impact in gaming than any of the ES games.

lol morrowind does deserve to be there, irrelevant my butt. certainly more relevant than w1 and 2 at least

and Skyrim alone had a bigger impact than Witcher 3 or did you forget the metric shitton of games that tried to follow the Skyrim model

Far Cry 3 was literally marketed as "Skyrim with guns"

lol morrowind does deserve to be there, irrelevant my butt

and Skyrim alone had a bigger impact than Witcher 3 or did you forget the metric shitton of games that tried to follow the Skyrim model

Far Cry 3 was literally marketed as "Skyrim with guns
"

and doesn't really play anything like it

Skyrim did not set any bar for RPG's. It wasn't looked at in the same light with Witcher 3 on a lot of levels. In fact, you can see some of the bs from Skyrim carry over into Fallout 4. They made Fallout 4 even more accessible than Skyrim was to newcomers, and took out a lot of what made the other ES games great RPG's.

edit

and let's not pretend that Skyrim was considered to be half as good as the Witcher 2 that release the same year.

Dead Man

LOL okay.

Skyrim did not set any bar for RPG's. It wasn't looked at in the same light with Witcher 3 on a lot of levels. In fact, you can see some of the bs from Skyrim carry over into Fallout 4. They made Fallout 4 even more accessible than Skyrim was to newcomers, and took out a lot of what made the other ES games great RPG's.

We were talking about overall impact and relevance and now you're switching back. But fine let's talk about "bar setting"

What bars for RPGs did W3 set? Certainly not in the character creation department, dialog choice, build variety, combat, itemization, crafting, non-combat options for quests etc.

It looks pretty and has well-written sidequests.

Edit: In fact in terms of 3D RPGs that set bars recently, my mind always goes to New Vegas funnily enough.

and let's not pretend that Skyrim was considered to be half as good as the Witcher 2 that release the same year.
Critical reviews, game of the year awards, and user impressions (including GAF) said otherwise.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I really enjoyed 3 & NV, so naturally I was looking forward to 4. I tried very hard to like it, but I found it really charmless. I thought that improvements to combat outside of VATS did not make up for the anemic character system and amazingly bad (even compared to F3) writing.

I regret the time that I spent with it, and will probably not return to the Fallout franchise unless something changes.

Head.spawn

Apparently ESO sitting here with 9 million+ players doesn't count; also Morrowind (that game that literally brought openworld to relevance doesn't count) even though they're launching a massive Morrowind expansion as we speak.

Don't get me wrong, Witcher 3 is a great gameand all, but I'm not even confidant that The Witcher game series would exist in it's current form if Elder Scrolls didn't do it all before them and basically create the massivesingleplayer openworld rpg genre.

Apparently ESO sitting here with 9 million+ players doesn't count; also Morrowind (that game that literally brought openworld to relevance doesn't count) even though they're launching a massive Morrowind expansion as we speak.

Don't get me wrong, Witcher 3 is a great gameand all, but I'm not even confidant that The Witcher game series would exist in it's current form if Elder Scrolls didn't do it all before them and basically create the massivesingleplayer openworld rpg genre.

Hell CDPR explicitly said multiple times they were taking cues from Skyrim for the open world design of Witcher 3.

killatopak

Gold Member
Go for it.

The narrative is definitely inferior to previous Fallouts but the gunplay is so much better and the content is there.

It took me 150+ hours to finish all content plus one ending excluding dlcs.

I imagine doing all ending would add an additional 8-16 hours. If you really want to extend it then playing a new character for different playthrough and ending is there as well. If you want a harder game then survival mode is there.

I haven't bough the dlcs yet so I can't comment on that.

JBwB

$20 for something you could potentially spend hundreds of hours on? Sounds pretty good to me.

I may not put it above 3 but I felt it was definitely more enjoyable than NV.

HorseFD

It's a good game, just not a great game. Well worth $20. If you enjoyed Fallout 3 then you'll almost certainly like it, unless you're expecting a big improvement.

That's how you know the game has impact. When just mentioning it gets people interested enough to consider a purchase--regardless of if the games are anything alike. ESO was nothing like Skyrim when it launched and just the association to the series following Skyrim's success caused it to sell millions of copies despite playing nothing like Skyrim.

Were you in a coma for 2011-2012? Skyrim was everywhere. It recieved rave reviews, was probably the most talked about game in 2012, and really brought Open World RPG's into the mainstream. Without Skyrim The Witcher 3 probably would have been another Linear Action RPG much like its predecessor. It's easy to say Witcher 3 is a more refined game than Skyrim was, Skyrim came out 4 years earlier and redefined Open World RPG games. The implementation of persistent open worlds starting with Oblivion and leading straight through Fallout 4 is still something unmatched.

Oh really? Skyrim vs. Witcher 2. Seems to me like critics at large had no issue praising Skyrim as a great game--just 6 months after The Witcher 2 came out.

But the funniest thing you said was;

IcyRhythms said:
I've actually wondered why no one has bothered to copy the successful Bethesda to formula to be honest.

Because it's really, really, really, fucking hard. Bethesda games are considered technical accomplishments because they are massive persistent worlds with unparalleled complexity. The closest people were willing to go was making everything open world. If games like Skyrim and Fallout 4 were easy to make don't you think everyone would be doing it considering how well Skyrim sold?

FiraB

Banned
Gameplay wise its as fun as you make it, pc mods to remove things you hate and add this you like or are just plain bizzare like the cat apocalypse mod that turns all enemies to cats.

ffvorax

No, go buy New Vegas, the best of the new Fallout games.

Even 3 could be charming, but probably it suffer much more the test of time.

F4 is incredibly boring.

Cleve

Of course it is. Some in here are just trying to be controversial for the sake of it.

It's a great but flawed game.

It's probably not quite as good as fallout 3. Story and characters aren't quite as memorable and there is less rpg choice than it's predecessors.

But for $20 you can easily have 80-100 hours fly by.

What this game does to really well is roaming around, listening to the radio and exploring cool locations that you discover at random.

Tldr; it's flawed, but I didn't regret it at full price. For that cheap, Fuck yeah!

The problem lies in the fact that it's not just $20 but hours and hours of time for a hollow experience with very little payoff. There's so many great games, this one isn't worth it at all. Fallout is a series about decisions, conversation, and a very well realized settings. F4 missed the mark on all of those and instead tacked on base building and improved the mediocre first person controls. If OP is a crazy fan of Bethesda open world games and is okay with a cast of 99% forgettable characters, go for it, but it's mediocre at best.

If you're looking for game time per $, OP, I guess it's not a bad deal, I just can't recommend the game to anyone, and that's after beating it.

Sure it is! Its just a bad fallout game where quests are boring, the character you play as is pre-defined which sucks. Also the dialogue wheel is dumb.

JoeNut

Absolutely, well worth it's full price and more, i spent at least 100 hours playing this game.

Don't listen to the GAF bs who just exaggerate, it wasn't an amazing step forward like people hoped, that didn't mean it was a bad game.

kevm3

It's not a bad game... rather it's mediocre. Pretty much the perfect example of modern-day 'streamlining', aka making a game super simplified for the casual masses. If you want an open-world shooter, sure. If you want an rpg, then no.

SoulUnison

Banned
I played over the free weekend and right off the bat, going from 3 and New Vegas' verbatim, many-multiple dialog options to 4's "1-3 word description that's often completely off from what you expected/intended" made me feel more like I was playing a dumbed down Mass Effect rather than a Fallout.

Who thought it'd be a good idea to throw all the role playing out of a long running, respected RPG series?

"Here's you. You're a married heterosexual man/woman with a male child who's name is determined. Now...go roleplay...the role we gave you."

Budi

Hey, I prefer every Witcher game over Skyrim too. But let's not pretend that Skyrim wasn't received better, both critically and commercially. It's a travesty, but also a fact.

Budi

Hell CDPR explicitly said multiple times they were taking cues from Skyrim for the open world design of Witcher 3.

Yeah that's not only thing they said though, Skyrim influenced them in other ways too. From interview with game director Konrad Tomaszkiewicz.

“The lessons we learned from Skyrim is that you need to care about immersion in the game all of the time,” he said in an interview with Game Informer. “You can’t show that you’ve got some generic solutions or engineering stuff in the game.

“And Skyrim, it was generic; you could make the same quest a few times and every time [the] NPC didn’t spot that you made it for him previously. To make this immersion every quest needs to be designed this way that NPC reacts for what you are doing.

“The second thing, thinking about Skyrim, is that they don’t got very good characters. I tried to remember five characters from Skyrim and name them from my memory, and I can’t, because this storyline is very generic and exploring the world is cool but they missed it.”

KageButa

Neo Member
Personally I really enjoyed Fallout 4. 20 dollars is a great deal if you like Bethesda games. Average playtime for Fallout 4 is 177 hours. Typically my play through for Bethesda games is 80 hours. 20 dollars is a crazy value for the time.

I'm not a fan of New Vegas as I would always lose interest when I got to Vegas. I'm also not a fan of Witcher 3's controls and combat. So take this with a grain of salt.

Don't listen to all the disgruntled people that have come in here to trash on fallout 4 and tell you how great their favorite game is. Bethesda has out sold and out performed their competition consistently. It's laughable that one person wanted to compare Skyrim to Witcher 2.

via ******** and metacritic

1.87 m Witcher 2 Metacritic 88

23.17 m Skyrim Metacritic 94

6.56 m Witcher 3 Metacritic 93

10.22 m Fallout 3 Metacritic 93

8.36 m New Vegas Metacritic 84

13.49 m Fallout 4 Metacritic 84

It seems people who own it actually play it quite a bit :
zc8sNS3.png

https://steamspy.com/app/377160

For $20 it's definitely worth it.

Personally I really enjoyed Fallout 4. 20 dollars is a great deal if you like Bethesda games. Average playtime for Fallout 4 is 177 hours. Typically my play through for Bethesda games is 80 hours. 20 dollars is a crazy value for the time.

I'm not a fan of New Vegas as I would always lose interest when I got to Vegas. I'm also not a fan of Witcher 3's controls and combat. So take this with a grain of salt.

Don't listen to all the disgruntled people that have come in here to trash on fallout 4 and tell you how great their favorite game is. Bethesda has out sold and out performed their competition consistently. It's laughable that one person wanted to compare Skyrim to Witcher 2.

via ******** and metacritic

1.87 m Witcher 2 Metacritic 88

23.17 m Skyrim Metacritic 94

6.56 m Witcher 3 Metacritic 93

10.22 m Fallout 3 Metacritic 93

8.36 m New Vegas Metacritic 84

13.49 m Fallout 4 Metacritic 84

I don't see how any of this is relevant unless you are a shareholder? This does not answer the OP's question at all. Sales are an insanely unreliable indicator for quality.

Redd

To me the story and world are a bit worse than F03. The world looks better and is bigger thanks to improved graphics. Combat is a step up but everything else is so bad you pretty much just go to each area and either kill everything or fetch an item.

Personally felt the game needed a few more years in development to flesh out the story and more interesting side quests.

NV>>>>FO3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FO4

For $20 it's not so bad but I felt I was robbed at $40 when it came out.

bjork

It's not necessarily the Fallout 4 I wanted, but I still poured like 150 hours or so into it without finishing all the DLC stuff, and I enjoyed my time with it. I'd definitely say it's worth $20, but I really enjoyed exploring the map so I feel like I got my $60 worth (or $100 or whatever with DLC added in) and then some.

Jaraghan

Yeah go for it OP. Like others said, it's not as good as other games. But I still really had fun with the game. Play on survival with mods, and it's a blast.

Top Bottom