• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D 240p vs 4K (emulator) video comparison

Cerium

It's really strange to me how much effort they put into these textures considering the hardware would just murder them. No I don't think the 3DS is trash, but this level of detail is so far beyond what was needed that it's kind of puzzling.

Forward thinking. Future proofing.

The Hermit

Vkqbbdo.jpg

I said damn. All that texturework. Destroyed on the 3DS.

It's quite a shame actually

Lots of PSP games hide some great looking models and textures under that resolution. It's not surprising that the 3DS is the same way.

Anyone have those Type-0 PPSSPP pictures? Honestly looks better than the bloom and blur "HD" remaster IMO.

Shit, we don't even need to stop at PSP. Shitty resolution has still been ruining even modern games.

dsfix_comparison_by_aloo81-d7cbkf0.gif

AdropOFvenom

Neo Member
Makes me think an OoT/Majoras Mask on Switch might actually be pretty easy, if they have some high quality assets there already. Nice.

ss_lemonade

Vkqbbdo.jpg

I said damn. All that texturework. Destroyed on the 3DS.
Well, you could still see the textures fine on an actual 3ds screen. While IQ can be pretty bad with aliasing, it's not exactly as horrible as what blown up screens can look like on higher res monitors

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Nintendo will release a Switch 3D in the near future. And port 3DS software over or have virtual console versions that can upscale the resolution.

Mother of god that's beautiful. Talk about complete overkill with model / texture detail. Which seems to be a theme with 3DS games, the system is quite powerful for its resolution.

Curious to see how the two 3DS Resident Evil games would turn out...
...but they're already out in HD, though
Edit: well, not Mercenaries, but that game is bad anyways
Pokemon needs some texture work more than the Zelda games do. Not sure why they're so low res.
Would be nice if they added in WWHD's lighting. Would fit the tropical setting and compliment the visuals quite well.

Mister Wolf

1080, 30fps, Hero mode at start, and as much super sampled antialiasing as the switch can handle. Instant cash grab and over a million seller.

Neiteio

I imagine they made everything at much higher resolutions so they can future-proof this game and sell it again in the future.

It's really strange to me how much effort they put into these textures considering the hardware would just murder them. No I don't think the 3DS is trash, but this level of detail is so far beyond what was needed that it's kind of puzzling.

even if they were in lower res it is the same effort, since one doesn't draw with more ease in lower resolutions, in fact it may be quite difficult to get things to look right without enough resolution to see what you are doing.

XandBosch

Shit, Nintendo should just out a new "collectors edition" that has these versions of OOT and MM and throw in those remakes of Wind Walker and Twilight. Toss in a Skyward Sword remake and you've got yourself one hell of a fuckin' Zelda collection.

Shit, Nintendo should just out a new "collectors edition" that has these versions of OOT and MM and throw in those remakes of Wind Walker and Twilight. Toss in a Skyward Sword remake and you've got yourself one hell of a fuckin' Zelda collection.
Don't think they're going to sell that for quite awhile. They can probably sell collections with 2 games included for years.

HotHamBoy

If the 3DS has issues with framerate why use the higher res textures? They're pointless unless they future-proofed the game.

requiem02

Banned
I need this game on Switch so badly. I wonder if Nintendo are willing to put DS and 3DS games on VC that don't absolutely require the second screen.

DylanEno

argh I wish I knew how this sort of thing worked

Seeing the power of the Citra makes looking at the 3DS soooo difficult.

Is having better textures than the resolution can show really that uncommon? Seems to be the case for a lot of games post-64/PS1 (at least, the ones that are popular enough to upres.)

pa22word

Is having better textures than the resolution can show really that uncommon? Seems to be the case for a lot of games post-64/PS1 (at least, the ones that are popular enough to upres.)
It's uncommon for uh, decently thought out designed games on the software side. Like, that sounds mean but if you asked any software engineer to waste VRAM on stupidly high res textures in a game that's locked to a 240p screen they'd probably want to strangle you.

There might be weird production issues we don't know about, but really there's no reason to ever do this. You're just wasting optimization passes and VRAM for nothing. Like even the forward compatibility thing makes no sense because there's nothing keeping you from drawing them at x high resolution, compressing and downscaling them to 240x240 ( or lower) then leaving the raw textures on a server somewhere for the next thousand years.

I mean I'm not going to complain or anything because obviously it makes emulating them a nice treat, but there's no reason to actually leave them in the gold master wasting resources like that. My guess is they were way under their VRAM budget and in a rush to ship so instead of scaling down the textures and using that memory for something worthwhile they just said fuck it and shipped it.

Top Bottom