• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friday the 13th: The Game |OT| You and your friends are dead. GAME OVER

Maligna

Banned
Do the smaller maps have shorter time limits? That’s the only reason I can see them being any good at all. Waiting 15 mins while someone hides in a closet gets old.

I'm sure it does, but it's a legit strategy and if it's what my counselor is good at I may not have much other choice if I'm the last survivor. And the people who send a message to Jason telling him where I am are the worst scum.

So this is the first I'm hearing about it but the hell is a "small map"? It's literally just the same maps but cut in half or something?

They are like shrunken versions of the old maps, there is some redesigned aspects/placements. The whole point is to have option of quicker matches.... can't say I have a problem with it, but would have been nice of them to maybe put work into these later, after putting out some newer content instead of what many feel like is a retread

jviggy43

Game is still so broken on xbox. Jason can't run through doors when he's cut them down, no host migration (how was that not priority 1?), takes me far too long to find a game still. Obnoxious.

jviggy43

Had a game where a guy just kept running around me to attract Jason, then kept boxing me into corners and not moving so Jason would kill me. Thank you for removing team killing, in so glad I get to now spend time sitting in a corner watching someone teabag me without recourse.

Hahahahahahaha oh my god this game. I finally get a random with a mic to work with me, we get Jason's mask off, I'm tommy, he gets the sweatshirt, he stuns Jason with the sweatshirt, I use the axe and Jason goes down on his knees, game glitches out and he just gets back up. Fuck you. Fuck this piece of shit game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Hey all,

We're all here at the office going over everything we're reading from your comments here and on other forums within our community. IllFonic has been working with our Discord users in live bug reports, I've been gathering notes and taking down comments from all of you guys here as well as our Home Forums, Steam Forums and all of us at Gun have been in meetings today over everything going on.

I want to preface this by not making excuses for the issues that you are running into. The biggest issues we know of remain with matchmaking. That's being looked into at this time, but we are certain there have been some backend server issues via our Sony/PSN partners as well as Steam. These have been momentary hiccups that are outside of our control, however we are looking at matchmaking on our end to ensure that when things do smooth out that we're not seeing continued issues.

We are taking your feedback on gameplay such as the window animation change for Jason. We are looking into the issues with 'WOOD' and a few other misplaced items (the door on Packanack...oh boy) and of course overall feedback on maps.

Please stay tuned. We know the frustration inherent with things that shouldn't be there, but keep in mind that our focus is improvement overall for our players. While some users might be seeing bugs, we've been able to move towards parity for all of our builds; this allows us to work more effectively for all three platforms for future content, future updates and future fixes. We've been working hard on the retail version of the build that has to be separately submitted and a lot of things are moving at a pace that has not let us ease up since launch. We've got a few new people on the team and while this patch has a lot of improvements, it certainly has revealed some issues that we're already identifying, tasking and working to fix quickly.

EDIT; Going to have some folks from IllFonic come in here in a bit and talk a bit more in-depth, so please stay tuned!

We hear you.

-Gun

https://www.reddit.com/r/F13thegame/comments/6wu43t/update_from_gun_on_current_patch_aug29/

https://www.reddit.com/r/F13thegame/comments/6wr2nt/theres_literally_a_tree_inside_this_cabin_lol/

https://www.reddit.com/r/F13thegame/comments/6wt75f/shack_locations_for_higgins_small_and_packanack/

Leak

https://youtu.be/y7zGKZa9Gvc

Leak2

https://www.reddit.com/r/F13thegame/comments/6wrzdz/where_can_i_find_a_working_baseball_bat_and/

http://forum.f13game.com/index.php?/topic/10265-state-of-the-patch-aug-29th-2017/

http://forum.f13game.com/index.php?/topic/10251-update-from-gun-on-current-patch/

Drencrom

Just had a game where I played as Jason and I somehow lost all control of him and couldn't move besides looking around with the cam and slashing in the air.... great update

Edit: Just read the post above me, wow. The fuck is going on at Gun media and illfonic? You'd expect an update that has been worked on for 2 months to at least work, instead it introduced tons of new bugs and even new intentional changes (Windows, teamkilling) that the community simply didn't ask for.

Maligna

Banned
People are more concerned with trolling Jason or the other counselors than actually trying to play the game. It's infuriating.

Maligna

Banned
Another statement from the developers:

Hey everyone,

Over the last 24 hours the team here has been parsing through the reports via the www.jasonkillsbugs.com website, and the various social channels; Reddit, Discord, Forums, Facebook, and Twitter. We have heard you loud and clear!

Now that we have sat down and discussed the issue I wanted to follow up to @GunMedia_Ben's post and let everyone know where we are all at, Ill try and be succinct about tech details so no one falls asleep...its a long post and Im going to break it out from my general post.

Cabin Vegetation, "Wood" "Rock" Text, and Phantom Door

This was a confluence of issues all related to a bad merge of content from our development branch to prevent some future content from going live that ended up in our release branch. While we fixed the issue we needed to, it also pulled a lot of items that were changed or halfway done in our development branch; updates to material VFX, changes to cabins, and additional vegetation.

We found the issues but we would have had to pull the game from cert and resubmit which would have delayed getting the patch out even longer than you all had already waited. We decided since the items above were annoying but not game breaking we didn't want to go through the cycle again. We didn't follow the process and it was a dumb mistake that is entirely our fault.

In response, we are changing our internal process for doing merges to avoid this in the future. All of these are already fixed internally.

Window Changes

The change here was a response to fixing the issues with certain Jason's having trouble breaking windows with the way the weapon and window collision interacted. We changed it to an event prompt to ensure that when you want to break the window you actually break the window.

It's obvious people don't like the new iteration of this so we will likely be changing it back and finding some other way to fix up the Jasons that were more problematic in regards to their weapons and breaking the windows.

It not being noted in the patch notes is likely due to it being checked into an isolated branch prior to the previous patch. This made it so when I ran the query for all the changes from the previous patch to the new one it didn't show up. I am not 100% on this and it will require a little more digging to figure out how we didn't communicate this and how we fix that portion of the process.

Jason Missing Breaking Down the Door

This is basically the same issue that caused us to change the window interaction above, sometimes the collision interaction doesn't trigger based on the animation played...it seems to happen more with Jason 6 and Savini. We are working on a fix now.

Pocket Knife

Whats happening here is that Jason players have found an exploit in which they can trigger an environmental kill before the pocket knife counter triggers. We are working on a fix now.

Jason Stun Lock Kill

It looks like for some reason the Firecrackers are initiating the kill sequence when they shouldn't. We are working on a fix now.

Loading Screen Freeze and Blackscreen

Right now these seem to be alluding us, we have gotten the loading screen issue once but couldn't get any data to help us track down the cause. We will continue to look at both of these as a high priority but you can post in the Discord in #live_bug_assistance channel when you get it with any pertinent information we can add that info to our internal database; map, lobby info (# of players, were you Jason or a Counselor), platform, and anything else that may be important.

Performance Issues

The Memory Leak that seemed to be specific to the Xbox One has been happening on all platforms its just more present on the Xbox One because it tends to touch some of the underlying systems a little bit more. There was a great optimization with occlusion query code, which is the code responsible for hiding art that is not visible. Even though this code is still working we turned off some of its caching as it was the source of the leak. In our initial tests everything checked out without a problem then we realized certain areas were hit harder then others. Its most noticeable on lower end machines but also happens across all machine specs as well but can be amplified when the CPU is tied down. We have been investigating a fix for it now and are close to having a solution.

Badge Progression

This is a bug related to adding localization to the game. The way we were saving this data previously didn't account for swapping languages.

If you run into this issue you can change your language back to English and everything should be back to normal. We are working on a fix.

Matchmaking

There are a couple of items here...

First, the patch came at a bad time for PS4, about 2 hours after launch PSN started having issues that affected our game which made it seem like it coincided with the patch.

After that issue was resolved, we did find an issue with lobby creation that we are currently working on; we should not create a lobby until after approximately 30 seconds but something is causing that timer to only wait 10 seconds before creating a new lobby. This only allows the player to send 2 search requests for active lobbies instead of 5-6 before falling back to lobby creation.

We also reduced the ping threshold to find games from 300ms to 200ms. While this will create better quality matches it does mean that you will need to wait longer for them...right now we don't know if this is an issue because of the current issue and it expediting the lobby creation process before the 30 seconds threshold. I will say that this will impact regions that have a low player count and rely heavily on matching with people outside of their region. We are discussing a few options here but something will be in the next patch.

While it's unfortunate some of the item's here got out into the wild I want to commend our QA team, both internal and external, which is a small team of 4 guys each shift trying to test all 3 platforms often under intense time pressure. We do our best but sometimes we don't see this stuff until it gets reported by you guys.

If you have any questions Ill try and get to everything as I can

- Gertz

I had a lobby run smooth for five hours last night and it was amazing on Xbox last night. Some seriously fun times. Mics, private lobbies, and playing with friends accumulated from the game is the recipe for success. Only had one round with two randoms that rage quit.

Sephzilla

People who sit in hiding places the entire game and don't even actively try to help escape are the worst.

I really have no idea who was asking for small maps in the first place.

Yeah, the small maps really feel like they came out of nowhere.

Also, has anyone else noticed that Twitch streams of this game have seemingly dropped off the face of existence?

LakeEarth

Hahahahahahaha oh my god this game. I finally get a random with a mic to work with me, we get Jason's mask off, I'm tommy, he gets the sweatshirt, he stuns Jason with the sweatshirt, I use the axe and Jason goes down on his knees, game glitches out and he just gets back up. Fuck you. Fuck this piece of shit game

Doesn't someone else have to knock Jason down to his knees, not Tommy? And doesn't Tommy need the machete to kill Jason?

People who sit in hiding places the entire game and don't even actively try to help escape are the worst.

Also, has anyone else noticed that Twitch streams of this game have seemingly dropped off the face of existence?

Many people actually complained in the F13 Facebook page. They kept insisting the game was to big and it took forever to do anything sometimes. I guess they begged for a more condensed experience.

The votes were high to ultimately receiving the update.

Mengetsu

I feel like word of mouth from YouTube videos got to the game unfortunately. It just had to many bugs that took to long to fix and the twitter is cancer every time they post something. Comments are always when's Xbox one getting fixed? Even when it has nothing to do about patches or anything.

I like the game. Me and my friends had a blast playing it but, it's been a month since we played it. With the big games coming it won't even be touched again till next year most likely when everything is fixed with more dlc.

This was a great summer game but, it could see life again when it comes out for retail in October. That's the only way I see it coming back.

The hiding and dragged out matches seems to be the reason for the small maps, since folks did whine about games taking too long or the players just playing hide and seek.

jviggy43

The hiding and dragged out matches seems to be the reason for the small maps, since folks did whine about games taking too long or the players just playing hide and seek.

Bad solution to a bad problem. Make them show up in red on jason's vision if theyre in there for X amount of time.

Bad solution to a bad problem. Make them show up in red on jason's vision if theyre in there for X amount of time.

Easy to negate by simply moving to another spot or just hiding out somewhere else. Hiding happens out in the open even away from any objectives, cabins, or POI's, folks just go off and hide in the places Jason has little reason to go.

Also supposedly the game already has something similar, where as time goes on in a match, Jason's sense becomes more powerful from what I understand.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
npth77oa3yiz.jpg

https://youtu.be/u5tirsfkF68

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/plasticinferiorfieldspaniel

jviggy43

Easy to negate by simply moving to another spot or just hiding out somewhere else. Hiding happens out in the open even away from any objectives, cabins, or POI's, folks just go off and hide in the places Jason has little reason to go.

Also supposedly the game already has something similar, where as time goes on in a match, Jason's sense becomes more powerful from what I understand.

Rage will trigger it but that typically only comes in the last 5 minutes of the game. Even if they move you could keep the debuff on them so moving would be just as scary considering now you have a higher chance of appearing in his field of vision and or map. That shit would stop real fast.

Maligna

Banned
Easiest way to find a game at the moment is to join the Friday the 13th "Community" on PS4 and then scroll left to the "Now Playing" section where it shows people in the group that are in a lobby and how many people are in that lobby.

Find one that has at least 5 people in it and hit "join session".

I'm having success with this over quick match.

groansey

The whole point of the game is hide and seek. They could make surviving the timer on it's own a fail for counselors, on the results screen class it as "Died of boredom" as an injoke. At least then there's an added incentive to escape.

The second option would be to have a timer on hiding spots before Jason is alerted to your presence. Even if your fear etc is low. I don't like this option personally.

I'm not touching the game until they reverse the friendly fire / teamkilling change and add new content.

The changes they've made are not for the game's benefit, they're just easy solutions to appease whiners. The devs have an antagonistic relationship with the community and haven't looked at any comparable games for how to deal with these problems. Teamkilling and helping Jason just needs a Vote to Kick option as a minimum. And counselors need to be able to turn their location off from other counselors. Problems largely solved.

The Gun devs must be reading this time and time again and just fucking ignore it.

I hope they revert some of the baffling, unnecessary changes but am still enjoying the game under the right circumstances i.e. in a good lobby with no lag.

I find the game almost unplayable in a random US lobby (found through community groups since quick play is currently broken) post-update. I've adapted to just playing the game when Aus-based friends are online as random overseas lobbies are no longer worth the awfulness that is the lag and glitchiness combined.

Something that has made the change to combat stancing doors a bit more tolerable, might be common knowledge but I was unaware till recently: when breaking down doors using the animation, you can just hold R2 and you'll hit it repeatedly, albeit slower than combat stance. Feels less tedious to me than pressing it over and over again. Maybe this isn't news to anyone here but I had no idea it worked that way till yesterday. I find it preferable to the inconsistent post-patch "sometimes works, sometimes doesn't" way of breaking doors down.

Maligna

Banned
I hope they revert some of the baffling, unnecessary changes but am still enjoying the game under the right circumstances i.e. in a good lobby with no lag.

I find the game almost unplayable in a random US lobby (found through community groups since quick play is currently broken) post-update. I've adapted to just playing the game when Aus-based friends are online as random overseas lobbies are no longer worth the awfulness that is the lag and glitchiness combined.

Something that has made the change to combat stancing doors a bit more tolerable, might be common knowledge but I was unaware till recently: when breaking down doors using the animation, you can just hold R2 and you'll hit it repeatedly, albeit slower than combat stance. Feels less tedious to me than pressing it over and over again. Maybe this isn't news to anyone here but I had no idea it worked that way till yesterday. I find it preferable to the inconsistent post-patch "sometimes works, sometimes doesn't" way of breaking doors down.

I didn't know that trick! Thanks.

hzsn724

I think I may finally be done with this game. Bought it at launch on Xbox and am now lvl 61. Stuck with it through dash board crashes, glitchers, whiners, sqeakers, team killers, database login failures... You name it, and yesterday just finally made me sick of it.

I was in a decent lobby that I started, everyone with mics and working together, until ppl started making rules in the game and telling me to kick ppl for not following them. Like no spawn killing, or you can't start repairing until Jason gets shift... also you can't kill anybody without the lobby complaining in one way or another. If you just swing your axe you're a hacker, if you use traps on repair spots then you're a noob, if you use only grabs then you have reachinitis and you're a wuss. Seriously had ppl messaging me and not readying up because I wouldn't kick someone cause they got killed within the first few minutes. Then id kick them and they'd rejoin instantly and the game couldn't start..

I've been sick of the toxicity for a long time but I delt with it. But this whole soap box drama bs is infuriating and I don't care if you're mad you died. It's the whole point of the game. Jason doesn't wait to kill and counselors shouldn't be forced to wait around for Jason to get even stronger. It's absurd and I just can't take it anymore. Not to mention the game is still broken and items still glitch through the floor. You win community. You can have this broken game that you only continue to destroy.

Sephzilla

I think I may finally be done with this game. Bought it at launch on Xbox and am now lvl 61. Stuck with it through dash board crashes, glitchers, whiners, sqeakers, team killers, database login failures... You name it, and yesterday just finally made me sick of it.

I was in a decent lobby that I started, everyone with mics and working together, until ppl started making rules in the game and telling me to kick ppl for not following them. Like no spawn killing, or you can't start repairing until Jason gets shift... also you can't kill anybody without the lobby complaining in one way or another. If you just swing your axe you're a hacker, if you use traps on repair spots then you're a noob, if you use only grabs then you have reachinitis and you're a wuss. Seriously had ppl messaging me and not readying up because I wouldn't kick someone cause they got killed within the first few minutes. Then id kick them and they'd rejoin instantly and the game couldn't start..

I've been sick of the toxicity for a long time but I delt with it. But this whole soap box drama bs is infuriating and I don't care if you're mad you died. It's the whole point of the game. Jason doesn't wait to kill and counselors shouldn't be forced to wait around for Jason to get even stronger. It's absurd and I just can't take it anymore. Not to mention the game is still broken and items still glitch through the floor. You win community. You can have this broken game that you only continue to destroy.

Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

You're a noob if you use our traps effectively?

groansey

I don't think these devs have ever played an online game before or understand how toxic players work. Meanwhile, they haven't improved any of the jankiness like counselor movement etc from when the game launched.

Remember when they put a statement out to backers who missed the Savini skin window saying they will never ever compromise on the people who supported them... and then accidentally leaked the skin on the Sony and MS store. Turning off teamkilling even though this will make griefing worse, then breaking the combat and window-smashing and have just shrugged, "sorry you feel that way" on their forums.

This game is sadly never going to get good. The only people who'll stick around will be the toxic players.

Drencrom

I hate to be so overly negative and harsh, but it really seems like the devs are incompetent. At least they are aware their new "update" is garbage and has temporarily ruined the game. The next update better revert the changes and bugs.

hzsn724

Noob is the most friendliest of terms I could think of. Insert any homophobic, racist, sexist, genetalia..... term and it's probably on point. But don't misunderstand what I'm saying, I'm not complaining about trash talking or name calling. I think it's funny when they are trying to think of ignorant insults to throw at me while I'm watching them die. It makes me want to shove them in the toilet or simply punch their head off again. It's after the match when they "try to correct you" by saying you're playing the game wrong and send you messages all hours of the day to remind you of it. I've even gone to lengths to try and play the way they want to just shut them up, but it takes all the fun out of it.

They do this because Jason is OP. But duh. He's Jason freaking Voorhees.

If I can't place traps then why do I have them? If I'm not supposed to grab then why do I accumulate CP to buy cool death animations? If I'm not supposed to hack/spawn kill/shift grab/stalk grab/hunt/...... Then why am I playing this?

hzsn724

Maybe folks who buy it physical in October will be good people.

For the sake of the game I hope so. There is so much potential there it's not funny. From Kane Hodder to the art department to Sean Cunningham and unique and original Tom Savini kills. It sucks being a major F13 fan thats been waiting for this game his/her whole life just to have it be this frustrating and broken.

Maybe someday in the future when it all calms down and they truly fix it, it will be amazing. And then maybe I'll come back.

But as for now I'm moving on. Between Mario+Rabbids, Sonic Mania, Samus Returns, Evil Within 2, Mario Odyssey, and Fire Emblem Warriors this game will just be another shitty memory of something that could have been so much better.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
Game is still so broken on xbox. Jason can't run through doors when he's cut them down, no host migration (how was that not priority 1?), takes me far too long to find a game still. Obnoxious.
Just noting that I think there is one thing this game cannot fix. The matchmaking is useless because of a lack of accountability. Letting 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 friends queue together and then potentially putting them with one as Jason is just asking for a poor experience for the rest. Either they are lenient with their friends, goof around similarly, or outright work with Jason. Most of the time they're in parry chat too. Sometimes they just quit if one or more or them feel wronged and if one is the host, well...

For me, the ONLY way to play this game on Xbox is in Looking For Group. It's the only way to see who you are dealing with before a match. It's better to seek out like minds, ensure everyone is using game chat, etc, instead of hoping in quickmatch.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Update 9/1/2017: We were able to deploy the patch for both PC and PS4, XB1 currently has no ETA yet. More when I have it.

Hey everyone

I know the last two days have been rough but we just locked down a set of fixes to address the most immediate concerns of the player base.

The build is currently in QA's hands so I have no ETA on when its going to go out. If QA finds any major issues we are going to fix those and create a new build to test. We then have to get through cert. I don't have a timeline yet for this but we did finalize the list of fixes.

Matchmaking
Fixed an issue that would create a new lobby after only searching for 10 seconds.
Increased the ping threshold back to 300ms on PS4
Parties
Fixed an issue that would cause a crash if a party leader invited a player that was already in another lobby
Jason
Decreased the window break animation time
Fixed an issue where Jason could not damage counselors moving through the window
Fixed a number of environmental kills that were not triggering
Fixed an issue that was causing the door to not get hit after the first or second swing
Fixed an issue where the morph circles were not appearing on the morph map.
Fixed an issue that was leaving the map up when Jason was hit while trying to morph
Fixed an issue where Jason was not dropping a counselor in a choke if he was hit
Fixed an issue where Jason was taking damage while stunned...he shouldn't
Counselors
Fixed an issue where the Pocket Knife would not trigger
Fixed an issue with weapons that was not decreasing the weapons durability if they were hitting Jason but Jason was not taking damage
Misc
Fixed impact decals so they dont display the material type anymore. (Wood, Metal, and Rock)
Fixed badges disappearing when swapping languages
Fixed a loading screen hang on PC
Maps
Packanack
Fixed a hidden door
Fixed a tree from spawning in a cabin
Higgins Haven
Fixed an issue where Jason would become locked out from performing interaction when attempting to use a Window interaction
Fixed an issue where the phone box to call the police was blocked by environmental objects

http://forum.f13game.com/index.php?/topic/10382-912017-hot-patch-pcps4-live-xb1-eta-unknown/

xviper

so, have they considered bringing back Team killing ? because the game lost it's fun right now and cheaters working with Jason are all over the game and we can't do anything to punish them other than the host quitting and ruin the match for the cheaters, but the bad news is that most of the cheaters are friends of the host

Maligna

Banned
People who help Jason are the worst scum. Just had two games in a row with people doing it.

Makes me want to quit playing.

oatmeal

Banned
When is the single player stuff coming?

Is this better on Xbox or PS4? Considering finally jumping in...have they ironed out the kinks yet? Remember a lot of issues with it at launch.

Maligna

Banned
What does the supposed single player mode entail? Can we play against bot Jason as a counselor and play against bot counselors as Jason?

90 hours of game time and I just got my first Pamela Tape. Jeeze, these really are rare.

I just got to level 18, so not sure how many hours that is but I got my first recently.

Top Bottom