• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic is developing a PC exclusive game

Unreal Tournament 4 on Unreal Engine 4 featuring melee combat from the Championship games, and playing like a proper sequel to UT2K4.

Epic instantly redeemed for wasting six years on Gears.

C'mon GP, there was some fun to be had with Horde and co-op campaign, tbqh. And they did make UT3 in-between, which I thought was okay.

C'mon GP, there was some fun to be had with Horde and co-op campaign, tbqh. And they did make UT3 in-between, which I thought was okay.

For all the positive things Gears did, I can't forget the god-awful multiplayer of the first two games and the fact that it caused them to kick Unreal Tournament to the curb.

UT3 was "ok" at best, but it could have been so much more awesome. I want that second attempt at a real sequel to UT2k4.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
These days, when I hear a huge company that made millions making console games is suddenly doing a PC-exclusive game, I just assume it's going to be Free To Play.

Lancehead

If Epic decide to flex their muscles, financial and otherwise, the results could be very interesting to obeserve because it's quite rare for a PC exclusive/centric game to receive the 'AAA' treatment of a console exclusive/centric game.

matmanx1

Awesome. Finally Epic can stretch those graphical muscles and not be restricted to only what is available on a console in terms of horsepower. Hopefully this game will push some graphical limits.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Facebook Flash game.
Quick cash grab to fund their console development.
Me salty.

iceatcs

Awesome. Finally Epic can stretch those graphical muscles and not be restricted to only what is available on a console in terms of horsepower. Hopefully this game will push some graphical limits.
Hopefully not too much. We don't have 3x 680GTX.

(._.)

Banned
A new UT with leagues and MMR designed for competitive play would be awesome. Have a feeling Epic wouldn't be as passionate about making this game as good as it could be. Would probably end up feeling half ass'd.

PC... EXCLUSIVE??? That still does exist for a major developer?

looks like the Xbox 720/PS4 dissapointed them with their specs, so they went pc exclusive ;)

theBishop

Banned
I think UT's future should be a social/browser game.

Hopefully this announcement is a new PC-exclusive franchise.

looks like the Xbox 720/PS4 dissapointed them with their specs, so they went pc exclusive ;)

More likely, they just plan to release before Q4 2013.

vocab

A new UT with leagues and MMR designed for competitive play would be awesome. Have a feeling Epic wouldn't be as passionate about making this game as good as it could be. Would probably end up feeling half ass'd.

Dont break my heart.

Danielsan

By the way, if it's a new UT they'd better dump the sniper rifle and bring back the lightning gun. Best UT gun ever.

ibiSB4uJctnuYi.jpg

Sentenza

If Epic decide to flex their muscles, financial and otherwise, the results could be very interesting to obeserve because it's quite rare for a PC exclusive/centric game to receive the 'AAA' treatment of a console exclusive/centric game.
Well, it doesn't help that when you do so, you have to expect to be largely ignored by the media, with the bare minimum of press coverage, or to be constantly pressed with inquires about a console port down the line.

There are many people that in these cases point to sales and try to justify this, but regardless of the fact that sales shouldn't be a concern of the "game critics" at all, that's circular reasoning.
When media don't cover a product (or cover it just marginally) it's quite obvious that you can't expect sales comparable to the strongest and most praised console titles.

Look at The Witcher 2: almost any editor or reviewer around used to talk about the game as something they vaguely heard about but they didn't bother trying.
Now it is coming on Xbox360 and suddenly, despise being a late port, CDPR is enjoying way more media exposure that they did with the original launch and the game is broadly pointed as "the new shit".

When DICE declared that their main focus for BF3 was the PC, almost every game journalist on the globe spent tons of time voicing concerns about the quality of the console version.
During many interview and public apparitions, when the developers had to talk about the game's features, they were essentially forced to focus at least half of their time emphasizing how the consoles versions would be "pretty much comparable" with their PC counterpart.

And... Someone can point the last time that Game Informer gave a cover to a PC exclusive? Or the last time Spike's VGA highly praised a PC exclusive?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I hope it's a large scale mp game like unreal tourny but with a whole lot of bullet storm DNA.
I should play bullet storm. The painkiller games are some of my favorites.

Yea it's probably a F2P Unreal Tournament.

Thinking otherwise is down right crazy.

There's no way aspic is going to throw Gears like budgets after a PC game. As awesome as the PC is a gaming platform, it is simply not mainstream or where the big push will ever be in terms of marketing. Money wise I can't say, but I'll guess there is more money to be made in an console release.

Lancehead

Well, it doesn't help that when you do so, you have to expect to be largely ignored by the media, with the bare minimum of press coverage, or to be constantly pressed with inquires about a console port down the line.

There are many people that in these cases point to sales and try to justify this, but regardless of the fact that sales shouldn't be a concern of the "game critics" at all, that's circular reasoning.
When media don't cover a product (or cover it just marginally) it's quite obvious that you can't expect sales comparable to the strongest and most praised console titles.

Look at The Witcher 2: almost any editor or reviewer around used to talk about the game as something they vaguely heard about but they didn't bother trying.
Now it is coming on Xbox360 and suddenly, despise being a late port, CDPR is enjoying way more media exposure that they did with the original launch and the game is broadly pointed as "the new shit".

When DICE declared that their main focus for BF3 was the PC, almost every game journalist on the globe spent tons of time voicing concerns about the quality of the console version.
During many interview and public apparitions, when the developers had to talk about the game's features, they were essentially forced to focus at least half of their time emphasizing how the consoles versions would be "pretty much comparable" with their PC counterpart.

And... Someone can point the last time that Game Informer gave a cover to a PC exclusive? Or the last time Spike's VGA highly praised a PC exclusive?

Well, unlike CDPR, Epic is an established major console player. So I imagine the press would pay at least some attention to this. Of course, Epic also needs to actively promote the game, which is a bit of an 'if'. But if CliffyB is going to invest a lot of his time on this project, then Epic might just promote the game on a level comparable to Gears.

Yeah, lots of if's, but the results might be interesting.

Sentenza

As awesome as the PC is a gaming platform, it is simply not mainstream or where the big push will ever be in terms of marketing.
You know... Sometimes I'm even tempted to agree with this... But then again, everytime I read this argument my mind instantly goes to any Blizzard release in the last 15 years (just to start) and I realize that there must some deep flaw somewhere.

Maybe -MAYBE- the problem with PC sales holds in trying to sell to PC gamers console games with late ports, in the first place?

Honestly, thanks to digital distribution, the PC market is raising year after year.
I can't help but think that if developers would dare to go back in force to PC development, changing its public perception of being a "second thought platform" for big budget games, it could easily compete on par with the most popular consoles.

The only chance of it being Jazz Jackrabbit 3 would be that they are prepared to offer the money gained by multiformat for the feeling fo exclusivity and/or goodwill amonst PC gamers. Which could happen.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
some genres do well on PC, some don't. Some genres do better in certain regions.

but when we talk about PC-centric games which this board loves (i.e. deep single-player experiences) they have always been niche, end of story. The original Deus Ex sold 500 000k. The Witcher 2 sold 1.1 million copies without participating in huge sales. These are small numbers for any kind of AAA-promotion. These games are best in their genres and they still sell relatively small number of copies so any kind of a big-budget project on PC in this vein is too risky by default. You can't be sure that you will produce a masterpiece which every person in the niche will buy.

That's why I don't expect any reasonable dev to start this kind of projects. I.e. I expect a new Epic game to be a community-focused game.

Unreal Tournament 4 on Unreal Engine 4 featuring melee combat from the Championship games, and playing like a proper sequel to UT2K4.

Epic instantly redeemed for wasting six years on Gears.

Oh fuck yes. And make it F2P. All the amazing 2012 multiplayer games are F2P: Tribes Ascend, Firefall, Mechwarrior Online, and Hawken. What a GREAT year for multiplayer gaming.

pa22word

Almost def going to be a f2p UT game. Remember all that talk about getting UE3 running on flash earlier this year? Yeah...

Heh...

And yeah gp earv, Gears wasn't that bad. Although I do hate the trend it introduced with its cover system though. It was fine and dandy when just gears and R6 was doing it. Now that pretty much everyone does it the result is a boring, tired mechanic that I'm sure a lot of us wouldn't mind largely see going the way of the dodo next gen.

I mean now that we've gotten to the point that even the next RE game looks like nothing more than a gears clone from a mechanical standpoint (at least the chris sections, anyways). It's gotten me to the point I'm not even looking forward to the game due to how tired I am of those mechanics, and when RE was once one of my favorite series of all time that's incredibly saddening.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
For all the positive things Gears did, I can't forget the god-awful multiplayer of the first two games and the fact that it caused them to kick Unreal Tournament to the curb.

UT3 was "ok" at best, but it could have been so much more awesome. I want that second attempt at a real sequel to UT2k4.

Some of us loved the first gears of war multiplayer. I made a ton of friends on it and played it for years. The game was so tense with the close quarters shotty battles.

Top Bottom