• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Leaks: BC for NextBox to be an add on, can play offline

Tagg9

Pretty neat if true. Makes sense to offer two SKUs - if you don't have 360 games, then you wouldn't care about paying more for BC.

Izick

So some of the rumors were complete bullshit? You don't say. Not to say that this rumor couldn't be complete bullshit as well.

Can't believe everyone gets up in arms before knowing anything. People never learn I guess.

Why would I buy the add on if I have a 360 now?

I get why bc on the ps3 was important, the ps2's library was amazing and it upscalled the games and the ps3 was HD while the ps2 is not. What reason would I have to unhook my 360 and essentially buy another to daisy chain it to my new Xbox just to play things my Xbox 360 currently plays?

Wiz

Is having a $100-150 add-on for BC really worth it if it does not have a disk-drive? Sure there are people with GoD and XBLA titles, but c'mon MS- all or nothing.

I guess it's because the smaller box will absolutely be always online. So you can put your 360 disc into Durango, and with the add-on, you'll be able to play offline.

Hindle

Banned
I find it strange there have been no leaks for the software. I'd kill some people on here for details on AW 2.

So some of the rumors were complete bullshit? You don't say. Not to say that this rumor couldn't be complete bullshit as well.

Can't believe everyone gets up in arms before knowing anything. People never learn I guess.

You don't see why people were up in arms even off a rumour?

Jb

That's actually a very interesting approach. So if I just keep my 360 around near my TV my Durango will be able to emulate 360 games? Pretty cool.

So I connect my mini 360 to my Kinect required durango which is connected to my cable box.

New xbox is going to have so many ports.

sunnz

This sounds a lot more plausible than all the other rumours to me.

Still makes no difference to me, I gotta see them games!

Also, will it not be cheaper to get an actual 360 than get this rumoured $150 device?

MechDX

Really? It just seems so weird to me to have to buy another console to play old games. Or maybe it's the term "console" that's throwing me off.

The way Im seeing it is the ad on will be a selling point to buy it so you can get the set top box type extras.

Basically you can get the Durango: new console and games

Stingray: Will be an extra ad on for set top box features and backwards compatability

That... Is actually kind of what I thought they should be doing. Weird.

Having to rebuy a 360 again (again) has got to suck for some people, though.

It's been done before:

Z0036073.jpg

This news completely changes the state of play.

Of course it does. People love to overreact. MS hasn't even shown what they're planning and people are already stating it's doomed.

Whether it's your kind of thing or not, the feature set for the next Xbox when it's revealed will be massive.

TriGen

finally some good news. dont care about BC but that last part is really great to read.

Yeah. I can't see me paying for a BC add-on (don't really need to go back to any 360 games and if I wanted I'd probably just use that), I just don't want used games blocked or always-online. If this is true and they put a little more effort into first-party games, I'll be happy.

Bsigg12

I'm wondering if you have a 360 currently if that'll work as the main 360 streamer rather than having to buy a new remodel. Either way the fact that they will even consider using the 360 itself to do get 360 games on the Durango is pretty crazy.

Also, always on but no required is a #gamechanger for the outlook on the Durango.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
LOL, how is this different than just keeping your 360 side by side with a Durango?

It's not, that's the point. If people want back compat they can use their 360, or if they want a smaller unit get this device. Also this thing will most likely have AppleTV-like uses (Netflix, etc.)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Combining this + the Verge rumour, it seems you can play without worrying connection goes away, but the console still needs to be connected, that's still very bad for its possibility of penetration in the market.

I wouldn't hate it (though I still have a relatively newish 360).

But always-online or having a meh launch line-up would still be a deal breaker.

Tagg9

Shit, I just read the article and it isn't backwards compatibility at all. It's just connecting a modified 360 to the Durango.

Durango itself will also always be online like any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games.
MATTRICK BE PRAISED

GavinGT

Banned
This is the dumbest idea ever. Buying a console that piggybacks off another console to give me BC from my last console doesn't sound like the best way to go about this.

We already know Durango won't have BC. This is simply an Xbox 360 with no disc drive that happens to interface with Durango.

Top Bottom