• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop's CEO got to see Battlefield 4 today; EA: "BF4 is coming!", "BE ADVISED"

After playing BF3 for hundreds of hours I feel in the mood for radical change, and so far it seems like BF4 is going to be quite an iterative, unmindblowing affair. I will play it and like it, but hopefully at some point (like tomorrow) I can also get excited about it.
Maybe if they revealed the singleplayer is going to be BC2143...

RoKKeR

Its the tactical gameplay that took a huge hit in BF3 - Battlefield 4 desperately needs the commander to return, and the ability to place orders on the map. It needs more means communication and coordination. No clue why this was removed from 3 but hopefully they realize their mistake, esp since it sounds like even the console versions are going to have high player counts. Teams are going to need some direction.

I'll agree with this. Though if the Chinese leaks that are 'supposedly true' are legitimate, then it sounds like DICE took the hint and brought back Commander and focused on better squad communication/coordination.

The probability of seeing BF4 tomorrow has gotten me even more hyped for the event.

sp3000

BF3 has the best vehicle balance of the entire franchise. You can't sit there and talk about heli balance of 3 in comparison to the past games' air power with a straight face. Air power completely owned Nam, BF2, BC2 with almost zero counters - a case of the nostalgic blinders. Infantry combat of 3 is light years ahead of any game in the franchise too. Do you even remember the horrible hit detection/random bullet spread cone of BF2/2142? 1942, Nam's infantry combat was utter shit. BC2 had next to no bullet drop and very low recoil. Keep living in the past Mr Unreal avatar.

As the other dude said - mad at vehicle regen or spawning on anyone? Play Hardcore mode: problem solved.

Its the tactical gameplay that took a huge hit in BF3 - Battlefield 4 desperately needs the commander to return, and the ability to place orders on the map. It needs more means communication and coordination. No clue why this was removed from 3 but hopefully they realize their mistake, esp since it sounds like even the console versions are going to have high player counts. Teams are going to need some direction.

Best vehicle balance, bahahaha.

BC2 choppers went down with one tracer dart and a RPG. The only place where air was overpowered was BF2 Jets, and they are still overpowered in BF3. BF2 choppers were nowhere near as nerfed. Oh, and vehicles actually had to go back to base to reload in BF2 and 2142, which actually made them less overpowered than they are in BF3.

Hardcore mode is a utterly terrible knockoff of COD. DICE has said themselves they do not considered HC mode balanced in any way, and every time they release a patch they usually break it further. See things like Proximity scan being completely useless in it.
What a typical post from a junior. Your argument is terrible, so you try to make a swipe at my avatar.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

BC2 choppers went down with one tracer dart and a RPG. The only place where air was overpowered was BF2 Jets, and they are still overpowered in BF3. BF2 choppers were nowhere near as nerfed. Oh, and vehicles actually had to go back to base to reload in BF2 and 2142, which actually made them less overpowered than they are in BF3.

Hardcore mode is a utterly terrible knockoff of COD. DICE has said themselves they do not considered HC mode balanced in any way.

What a typical post from a junior. You can't argue, so you try to make a swipe at my avatar.
Outside of the avatar ad hominem I agree with the junior. BF's gunplay has been terrible right up until BF3 came out, and air was hilariously OP. BF3 isn't anywhere near as bad in those respects.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to go for a larger scale with a more strategic focus in BF4 now that they've started to get the mechanics right.

Apath

They've been doing that since forever though hence me posting the release schedule. Yeah I guess the argurement could be made manpower is being diverted to create the single-player portion but if they have allocated staff just for that purpose then it shouldn't make much of a difference.
Eh, I don't count Bad Company as real Battlefield games.

J-Rzez

I am too, its been years since since I AAA WW2 shooter came out.

Exactly. I want an AAA WW2 shooter on a modern powerful engine with gore. I was so sick of ww2 shooters as it was flooded then but now things are over saturated with modern warfare.

Vietnam would be different but as I think about it, the weaponry during that era wasn't really romantic.

Outside of the avatar ad hominem I agree with the junior. BF's gunplay has been terrible right up until BF3 came out, and air was hilariously OP.

Maybe if you started with bf2 (guess that makes you a battlefield junior?:p)

Vehicle/air/infantry was beautifully balanced in bf1942 and they worked extremely well with conquest mode.
Bombing with planes was difficult (but rewarding), tanks spawned slowly, had to reload but were a legitimate threat, flak cannons as AA was a MILLION times better than the shallow lock on crap from the later games.
Conquest as a whole works way better in 1942 than in the later games due to map layouts/travel speed/flag placement/class and vehicle balance all working beautifully together to fascilitate the eb and flow of the front lines.
Holding bases was meaningful beyond collecting tickets and you could effectively cut off reinforcements / breach the front line to capture and hold bases further back etc.
The flow of the game was decided by people's ability to respond in time and by coordinating by having infantry take out AA before the air support went in etc etc.

Conquest in bf3 just doesnt work.
The maps and flag locations aren't designed for it, the mobile spawnpoints and vehicle speeds arent designed for it.

It's not even just because it was ww2 themed with appropriate speeds, no lock on and no lock on AA.
Desert combat mod showed that it is possible to have good conquest mode gameplay with helicopters.

If dice didn't waste their time on a shitty singleplayer campaign and didn't cut back features so they could have a bulletpoint in the next game or DLC then maybe the conquest gameplay wouldn't suck ass.

After the massive dissappoinment of Battlefield 3, I find it hard to care about this franchise going forward. Heck, at this point they'd have to pay me to play it.

Dear Boerseun,

Welcome to this thread about the sequel to Battlefield 3! We are captivated by your complete non-interest in the sequel to Battlefield 3! In the interest of serving you better, can you please take a moment to fill out the following survey:

1. What the fuck are you doing in this thread?

Thank you for your participation!

sk3tch

Dear Boerseun,

Welcome to this thread about the sequel to Battlefield 3! We are captivated by your complete non-interest in the sequel to Battlefield 3! In the interest of serving you better, can you please take a moment to fill out the following survey:

1. What the fuck are you doing in this thread?

Thank you for your participation!

lol...marketing that I can get behind. Seriously...BF3 - what problem could you have with it? I literally invested thousands into playing it perfectly on PC...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Maybe if you started with bf2 (guess that makes you a battlefield junior?:p)

Vehicle/air/infantry was beautifully balanced in bf1942 and they worked extremely well with conquest mode.
Bombing with planes was difficult (but rewarding), tanks spawned slowly, had to reload but were a legitimate threat, flak cannons as AA was a MILLION times better than the shallow lock on crap from the later games.
Conquest as a whole works way better in 1942 than in the later games due to map layouts/travel speed/flag placement/class and vehicle balance all working beautifully together to fascilitate the eb and flow of the front lines.
Holding bases was meaningful beyond collecting tickets and you could effectively cut off reinforcements / breach the front line to capture and hold bases further back etc.
The flow of the game was decided by people's ability to respond in time and by coordinating by having infantry take out AA before the air support went in etc etc.

Conquest in bf3 just doesnt work.
The maps and flag locations aren't designed for it, the mobile spawnpoints and vehicle speeds arent designed for it.

It's not even just because it was ww2 themed with appropriate speeds, no lock on and no lock on AA.
Desert combat mod showed that it is possible to have good conquest mode gameplay with helicopters.

If dice didn't waste their time on a shitty singleplayer campaign and didn't cut back features so they could have a bulletpoint in the next game or DLC then maybe the conquest gameplay wouldn't suck ass.
No one was disputing that there were good maps in past BFs. The argument was over the gunplay and the air balance. The gunplay in 1942 wasn't even impressive by 2002 standards. Plus, OHK sniper rifles with no bullet drop was a Bad Idea. I wasn't a fan of the massive AOE damage on the plane's bombs in 1942 either, which somehow got even bigger in BF2. And no one knew how to lead with flak and watch for the black smoke hit indicators so the planes just did whatever they wanted. Which was usually strafing plane campers. 1942 did have the best tank combat though. Those slow arcing shots made it feel like a real time, 3D Scorched Earth.

But it's a moot point, because if DICE went back to WW2 the mechanics would be closer to 1943 than 1942.

RoKKeR

Boom. DICE GM, Karl Troedsson, is in the US.

https://twitter.com/L_Twin/status/304080591232569345
VLl.png

If that's not confirmation of an imminent BF4 reveal then I don't know what is.

USC-fan

Banned
Man would be amazing next gen launch game. Ready for 64 ppl map on the consoles. Hated the small 32 ppl maps.

HYPE!!!

DocSeuss

Would not be shocked if it showed up at Sony.

I was already expecting it to be there. Seems like a perfect "look at all those graphics" game they can demo.

Didn't Battlefield 3 and Medal of Honor show up at a Sony press conference? EA really seems to be tight with Sony.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I highly doubt that they will present something that is a "wow" step above BF3.

Did DICE do a good job with BF3 console versions?

Not really. The improvements to FB2 really show how old these consoles are. The server rental is a double edged sword the maps were built with 64 players first and then scaled back to poor effect.

For the consoles I'd say BC1&2 are more fun. If DICE is allowed to increase the player count to at least 64 on next gen BF4 could be the definitive BF.

Arucardo

I highly doubt that they will present something that is a "wow" step above BF3.

I fully expect it to blow me away (IGN.com), UNLESS sacrifices have been made again because of the ps3 and 360 versions, especially in the destruction department.

You do realize that BF has been roughly on a two year dev cycle since it's inception, right? DICE is a huge studio fully capable of producing BF games at this rate.
You sure about that? Let's look at the release schedule for all the major releases for BF (no spin-offs or expansions) games

Battlefield 1942 - 2002
Battlefield Vietnam - 2004
Battlefield 2 - 2005
Battlefield 2142 - 2007
Battlefield: Bad Company - 2008
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - 2010
Battlefield 3 - 2011
Battlefield 4 - 2013/2014
And if you count expansions/map packs/Modern Combat/1943/Heroes then there's something Battlefield out every year, I know.

But they key is that "main" BF games have never been iterated on twice in a row. Between 1942 and 2 we got Vietnam, between 2 and 3 we got 2142 and two Bad Companies. So the main games always been more than 2 years apart, in fact. These in-between games help refine and inform the changes that are made such that when the next main game comes, it is genuinely different from the previous main game. Vietnam gave us choppers, 2142 gave us condensed and highly customizable classes, the Bad Companies gave us destruction, etc.

If we were/are getting 2143 this year there would be no one would be complaining because there would be nothing to complain about.

I don't think MAG is the best example. Sure you can have 256 people at the expense of your game looking like a late PS2 title.

The game really didn't look that bad, especially with the huge draw distances... Most of the cell had to be used for the massive amounts of players instead of offloaded GPU tasks to it to make it look better. Remember, Cell sucks at "CPU" tasks. Just because it wasn't the GPU, doesn't make it a CPU replacement.

Moaradin

The only thing I want from the BC series is the more open world, non-serious campaign. BF3 was better in every other way besides not having Vchat on PC (WTF was dice thinking with that one!?).

Mojojo

I guess if gamestop 's CEO agreed to hype BF4, it means that all these rumors about next-gen preventing second-hand sales were false.
Or Gamestop struck a deal that make them happy while screwing consumers even more.

Arucardo

I guess if gamestop 's CEO agreed to hype BF4, it means that all these rumors about next-gen preventing second-hand sales were false.
Or Gamestop struck a deal that make them happy while screwing consumers even more.

Something along the lines of only Gamestop's used games working on the console(s) :|

Liamario

Banned
I'd be confident we are going to see it tonight. Looking forward to it; especially if it's 60fps as the rumours suggest.

exwallst

Very hard to believe that Battlefield would steal Sony's thunder if they're an official part of the show with any exclusive to announce. Just like Destiny, they're riding the hype. But, dear God, imagine the main course if Sony could afford to treat those games only as appetizers.

Hardcore mode is a utterly terrible knockoff of COD. DICE has said themselves they do not considered HC mode balanced in any way, and every time they release a patch they usually break it further. See things like Proximity scan being completely useless in it.
What a typical post from a junior. Your argument is terrible, so you try to make a swipe at my avatar.

I disagree that Jets are overpowered in BF3. The fact that bombs don't exist anymore means they're much less lethal. Yes they are VERY hard to kill, almost impossible if not for another jet, but they also don't destroy much. You do much more damage/kills/points if you are on the ground.

Personally I get less deaths in a Jet (much less) but I also get less points.

agreed. Bring back the god damn full fledge destruction.
With more vehicles, more players and jets, all levels would be the same after a few minutes.

BC2 destruction is still in BF3, only in fewer buildings so it doesn't ruin the map layouts. Can you imagine what Firestorm would be like for example if the warehouses came down?

What about maps like Metro? Would the underground cave in with all the "destruction"? Makes no sense.

shinosuke

Neo Member
Since they already implemented the stupidity that was vehicle regeneration, I'm thinking they'll do some more stupid things like ammo that regenerates or environments that reconstruct themselves after being destroyed.

As for the unlock system, there's obviously room to go dumber. Let's not stop at vehicle unlocks, let's just unlock an entire vehicle starting with the tires. Be it a Jeep or a Jet, you start off with the tire and you have to keep capturing points using the tire until you acquire more parts of the vehicles.

As for maps, they'll top BF3 where instead of shipping with two good maps, they'll just ship with no good maps. That or the franchise will just become solely an infantry combat focused shooter, because for some reason they keep catering to people who like playing nothing but garbage infantry-centric maps like Operation Metro despite the fact that the market is full of infantry-centric shooters. The franchise-ruining-train doesn't stop for Digital Illusions.

I think you're onto something here. They can give each player a random weapon/vehicle part at the end of each map, or at a random time like in TF2. And players can trade those parts or unlock a weapon using those parts. This way, people can learn a lot about weapons and vehicles and going crazy for a rare item, like a firing pin or the key for your tank....

Battlefield 1942 with the Desert Combat Mod was probably the most fun I have ever had in a game. Come on Dice..give us console players proper 64 player mayhem

demolitio

I actually want them to return to WWII after BF4 and do it right again. A time where it was simpler yet more complex and skill focused. They say WWII was too played out but now modern games with the same unlocks and attachments are getting old when they have this new engine that would kick ass in a proper WWII BF game with all the destruction. Bring back naval battles and EPIC multiplayer with good teamwork instead of the TDM with "optional" flags to capture just to give you a new spawn point closer to the enemy spawn to camp...

For BF4 though, they need to bring back some BF2 features. If they truly believe that BF and Bad Company are two different series in the BF franchise, then act like it and give us the shit that SHOULD have been in BF3. Commander, actual squads working together using INGAME VOIP, complex squad orders instead of just a little marker on a flag to attack or defend, equipment to destroy that actually hurts the enemy, etc. The game needs that cooperation and consequences again.

But seriously, BF1944 after BF4 or bust. Imagine a proper WWII game on that engine and how awesome it'd be. It'd truly be epic and BF1943 only gave us a small taste.

Or you can just bring back mod tools and let the community make the fun shit for you like I want to do. I miss the old days of working on 50 mods trying to make the game last a lifetime instead of just getting tired of the base game after a while.

Man would be amazing next gen launch game. Ready for 64 ppl map on the consoles. Hated the small 32 ppl maps.

HYPE!!!

If next gen Battlefield on console achieves one thing its this. BF3 on console can just feel empty. On some maps it felt like everyone was either in a plane or helicopter.

Top Bottom