• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW Assassin's Creed 3 screenshots

Now I'm all pumped for Revolutionary war crap. Found a couple documentaries on Netflix also they have the Last of the Mohikans (if anyones interested!). Any other suggestions?

Didn't see this posted anywhere, thought it was interesting, though it does make sense if everything is supposed to be wrapped up.
Assassin's Creed III lead writer Matt Turner says the game will feature more Desmond than any previous entry in the series.

"All I can say about Desmond's story is you're going to experience more Desmond than you've ever had before," Turner told CVG. "We're spending more time on the present than we have in past games."

"It's a big part of our story and I don't really want to give too many details away because I want people to experience what that is," Turner added. "But rest assured, you're going to see a lot of Desmond. More so than in any past game."

Previously, Assassin's Creed creative lead Alexandre Amacio said that ACIII would be the end of Desmond's story. Ubisoft has also confirmed that Desmond will use the Animus 3.0 in the game and will no longer be in a coma.

Assassin's Creed III hits Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC on October 30th. A Wii U version is also in development. We had a chance to see the game in action, so be sure to read our impressions as well as an analysis of the game's latest screenshots.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1222276p1.html

Kinyou

I loved the Desmond segments in AC: Brotherhood; especially the last one, so I hope they make them similar to those.

Draconian

I've always hated the Desmond segments. The best thing they've ever done with them is allow you to skip them completely in Revelations.

Marleyman

Banned
Although it seems like the Desmond part of the story should wrap up in this installment, I have a feeling Ubi won't do it.

Those first person Desmond segments in revelations were terrible. For real, who actually thought that was a good idea?

Are the ones in AC3 supposed to be the same, or back to third person?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Those first person Desmond segments in revelations were terrible. For real, who actually thought that was a good idea?

As far as I'm aware, Ubi have said nothing of the meta-Animus sequences.

I still can't believe Ubi had the gall to release meta-Animus DLC for Revelations. What a slap to the face.

Midou

Agreed. I've never been a fan of Desmond.

Whenever I see someone saying 'jeez, can't we get a pure desmond game already?' I almost want to puke.

I fucking love AC2 and brotherhood and revelations were both a lot of fun, but they are purely so because of being able to explore awesome eras with famous figures and whatnot, if they did some modern desmond-only game, the series would lose most of its spirit, and considering it's one of my favorite new franchises this gen, I would die on the inside.

I know others may not feel so strongly about it, but I just don't see it working, there are already modern-time sandbox games, even if AC does the climbing and whatnot best, I believe the historical eras are a major part of what makes AC what it is.

Whenever I see someone saying 'jeez, can't we get a pure desmond game already?' I almost want to puke.

I fucking love AC2 and brotherhood and revelations were both a lot of fun, but they are purely so because of being able to explore awesome eras with famous figures and whatnot, if they did some modern desmond-only game, the series would lose most of its spirit, and considering it's one of my favorite new franchises this gen, I would die on the inside.

I know others may not feel so strongly about it, but I just don't see it working, there are already modern-time sandbox games, even if AC does the climbing and whatnot best, I believe the historical eras are a major part of what makes AC what it is.

Ok, but they have to wrap up the series somehow...in which the major point of the games are present day Templars vs Assassins. They have to bring it to modern times in order to actually conclude everything.

I liked them. But NO way tacked onto an Assassins Creed game. I hope they bring back the Truth puzzles, those were absolutely brilliant. When I was stuck on one of those puzzles and went online, not to look up the answer, but to study the meaning of some paintings DaVinci has done and found the answer that way. I was in love.

If Ubisoft was smart. They'd have developed further the ACR Desmond parts and put it on the XBLA/PSN for $10 as a side game.

UrbanRats

Ok, but they have to wrap up the series somehow..

One day, yes.
But there are still a lot of awesome moments in history we can go to, that it's far too soon to even think about it.
The overall story is already batshit insane, so it's not like they have this gem that can be ruined by extending it too much; as long as they keep the gameplay fresh (like they seem to be doing with AC3), it's all fine.

Midou

Ok, but they have to wrap up the series somehow...in which the major point of the games are present day Templars vs Assassins. They have to bring it to modern times in order to actually conclude everything.

Yes, toss him some mandatory scenes here and there, I'm not hugely offended about that, but I would never want more than 1/3rd of a game involving desmond. They could easily make his last moments in the modern story parallel some assassin ancestor and make you switch back and fourth as your figuring something out as the ancestor that helps you get the final piece of some puzzle for desmond's story. They could make it work without having to make an entire desmond game.

Irish

Some interesting tidbits from an OXM article about the combat:

Promisingly, the counter system is now a two-part entity: hitting the button on time triggers another set of choices. "When you counter, you create a counter window and then you decide what you want to do. If you counter correctly, time slows down and if you hit the same button again you'll dodge, but if you attack you'll assassinate, all that sort of stuff."

Certainly an interesting system to go with for the counters. Of course, I wonder what the drawbacks of just assassinating everyone will be (if there even are any).

Under the Assassin's Creed 3 system, Connor will carry a melee weapon in one hand and a device, like the pistol, in the other, each hand corresponding to a face button. You'll be able to mix and match load-outs, and different strikes and abilities will flow together just as naturally: counter two enemies at once (yes, you can do this), then segue to a pistol, before sinking your Tomahawk into the final skull.

Each weapon hand having its own button sounds interesting. Wonder what they've done with the grabs and such.

Connor wields firearms of his own, but he won't be able to shoot his way out of every encounter: Hutchinson is mindful that previous games gave us too many ranged weapons to play with, and has taken steps. "Having 30 crossbow bolts, 40 throwing knives essentially means you never have to fight. So we're limiting ammunition a lot more."

I don't really see the point in limiting the available options for a player.

Besides the basic Limey infantry, the Templars will field heavy-hitters in the form of axe-wielding Scotsmen, and support types in the form of drummers, who'll summon reinforcements if left unmolested. You'll even square off against fellow Native Americans, reflecting fierce divisions among the tribes of the era.

There will definitely be multiple enemy types in the game.

UrbanRats

It's difficult to judge the game's new combat system, based on the old one, since it seems like they changed it a lot.
I only hope the "slow down time" thing is handled right, because i deactivated the "kill cam" in the previous games, it got old fast for me, and this sounds x times worse.

Promisingly, the counter system is now a two-part entity: hitting the button on time triggers another set of choices. "When you counter, you create a counter window and then you decide what you want to do. If you counter correctly, time slows down and if you hit the same button again you'll dodge, but if you attack you'll assassinate, all that sort of stuff."

Sounds like a similar system to Spider-Man 2's combat, which was criminally underrated. The time slowing thing sounds obnoxious, but I guess it's to be expected. For some reason the world has been trained that slow-motion is cool, even though sweet Kung Fu at full speed is so much more awesome.

Anteater

Combat sounds pretty interesting, can't wait to see more on what they do with it, hopefully the slowing down won't be too bad.

Minion101

Banned
LcmMj.jpg

Wrestling-kids-reaction.gif

Awesome, never noticed that.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I want the pre-order gun and then the other costume. On the ps3. Cause fuck a new tomahawk but g'damn tricorn win.

I hope we can dye clothes again in this one... that outfit.. all black and dark leather tan... fuckin a.

Top Bottom