• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Schumer insisted Netflix pay her the same as Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle

Socivol

She isn't even as popular nor does she have the credentials they have. I don't think this is a gender thing I think it's a she isn't a popular and viable as they are.

Mostly Sex Stuff was a fun special that made me legit laugh. The Leather Special that Netflix paid for was horrible. Didn't laugh once. Good for Schumer for being a good negotiator I guess. President Trump would be proud

Netflix chose to pay her so I don't know what people are mad about. They could have said she's not as big as those acts but they relented and gave up the cheque.

What's wrong with her asking?

Regardless of finding her funny or not, by name alone, she simply isn't anywhere near those two in terms of recognition. I seriously doubt that she would attract as many people therefore making the same amount of money to Netflix. At the end of the day, that's all that matters. And they're the ones paying, if they think she justifies that amount of money, that that's it.

JABEE

If the entertainment industry paid comedians by talent, Norm MacDonald would have received $50 million in his deal.

Entertainers are paid by the value they provide to a network, channel, club etc. It doesn’t matter who you think is funny or entertaining.

Keri

Dave chappelle is a cultural icon. His show hasn't been on air for 13 years and people still recite bits from it. He sells out radio city music hall every year for a month. And he sold 2 specials for $20 million each to Netflix. Let's be real here she's nowhere near as mainstream as chappelle

And Chris rock is Chris rock

While Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle are both comedic icons, they're not nearly as active as Schumer. Amy Schumer is a popular comedian and a popular writer, popular movie star and popular television star. She's more mainstream in the sense that she has fans beyond the comedy domain. People will watch her special who otherwise don't watch stand up, because they like her movies and show.

if she brings in the numbers and netflix is willing to pay for her level of talent, then i see nothing wrong.

it ain't my money.

Seesaw15

I can't blame her for asking. She may not get the whole 20 million but you got to negotiate.

I'm sure sexism played a part but getting two legends like Chris and Dave ( who hadn't made a stand up special since 2008/2004) to come to netflix is a little different than hiring successful comedian Amy Schumer to make a special.

Irrelevant to Netflix's spending priorities in a year where Adam Sandler pulled down $50 million.

Can we not. I know Adam Sandler is a punchline at this point but he's a brand and his comedies have made like 2 billion dollars. It may not be your cup of tea but 50 million seems fair.

pablito

If she brings in the money, then she's worth it and should argue. My opinion on her being funny is subjective so it doesn't matter.

her value as a star isn't as good as the other two. (imo)

I don't think she's worth it (not funny, steals jokes). but if she can get it, sure. good on amy.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Did people bashing Sandler forget his movies were like the biggest original movies Netflix had ever done? There words not mine.

So of course he got bank, and I don't even think he's funny anymore.

border

Nikki Glaser's Netflix special is really good, and in the vein of Schumer's older material.

Schumer's Netflix special is outright bad. If it's mostly material that she's toured with, I have a hard time believing that someone watched those shows and said "Yep, we should spend 20 million dollars on this".

rackham

I don't think she's worth 1 million and it has nothing to do with sexism. Chris Rock has been one of the biggest comedians for close to two decades. Dave Chappelle is fucking Dave fucking Chappelle.

Who the fuck is Amy Schumer?

I'm going to go down to open mic night and demand Daniel Tosh ticket prices. I can say naughty stuff too, we should totally be paid the same.

Netflix should tell her they are giving her the equal pay and then give the rest of the money to all the other comedians she steals from.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
20 million to own it in perpetuity?

Yeah, I don't see the value in that, even in owning it forever. Standup comedy is niche. Kevin Hart is one of the biggest draws in the game, and I don't even know if his latest standup special made $20 million. Probably a little over? I know Netflix is about retention, but that's an insane price tag to me. You could make an entire season of an effects heavy show for that much. Not many people are going to watch a 5 year old standup special.

This is why I'd love to see some numbers from them one day. This smells like them just trying to push HBO out of the game.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I don't really "get" the appeal of Schumer, but considering in the last few years she's had multiple movies, a popular TV series, a huge book deal, and a series of (terrible) ads for multiple companies, I think it's entirely possible she's as much of a draw to Netflix as Rock or Chappelle. I'm not sure why anyone is too upset by this.

If anything is mind-blowing it's how much these comedy specials are apparently worth. It seems ludicrous.

How so any hard workig person would dream to get paid like that complaining about money when you earn millions is a bit entitled imo.

How much is too much, in your opinion? One million? Two million? What’s the cutoff for asking for more money based on what others in your profession are getting? At what number does the entitlement set in?

BibiMaghoo

I'd like to think that if gender discrimination didn't exist, she would still rightly have been paid much less than those two individuals.

While Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle are both comedic icons, they're not nearly as active as Schumer. Amy Schumer is a popular comedian and a popular writer, popular movie star and popular television star. She's more mainstream in the sense that she has fans beyond the comedy domain. People will watch her special who otherwise don't watch stand up, because they like her movies and show.

I'm sorry, but I can't take anyone seriously who possibly thinks Any Schumer is more mainstream than Dave Chappelle. You might have a point with Chris Rock nowadays, but with Chappelle?

Keri

I'm sorry, but I can't take anyone seriously who possibly thinks Any Schumer is more mainstream than Dave Chappelle. You might have a point with Chris Rock nowadays, but with Chappelle?

What else has Chappelle done lately? (Honest question). I thought he purposefully left Hollywood/Comedy?

see5harp

She can argue for that. That's her right. But at some point you have to wonder how many people actually watched her special. At this point they should have some metrics. Ali Wong shit all over Amy Schumer's special from a high place.

New002

People are really having a hard time understanding that how funny someone is or isn't to them, which is subjective, isn't what's driving these paydays. Netflix is buying viewers and audience. Doesn't matter if it's a comic's first year in the business and they're riding a wave of popularity, or if they're a seasoned and respected pro that's been in the game for decades... if they can bring in viewers that's what matters and that's what's gonna get them paid.

ryan299

Variety has an article about equal pay in Hollywood. It's a good read, with examples of successes and failures.

While i'm not a fan of Schumer, if the numbers support it she deserves the same.

Wonder how much Seinfeld is getting for his netflix special.

Seesaw15

Yeah, I don't see the value in that, even in owning it forever. Standup comedy is niche. Kevin Hart is one of the biggest draws in the game, and I don't even know if his latest standup special made $20 million. Probably a little over? I know Netflix is about retention, but that's an insane price tag to me. You could make an entire season of an effects heavy show for that much. Not many people are going to watch a 5 year old standup special.

This is why I'd love to see some numbers from them one day. This smells like them just trying to push HBO out of the game.

Good comedy specials have a long shelf life. I regularly watch 10-30 year old stand-up specials multiple times.

cdyhybrid

If she's not worth the money they didn't have to pay her. If they did it anyway, that's on them.

It's not her responsibility to look out for Netflix's bottom line.

Kinyou

Those are some pretty crazy paydays for everyone. Didn't know comedians could make such bank with a comedy special

HotHamBoy

How much did Maria Bamford get?

She is funnier than Amy Schumer.

If she's not worth the money they didn't have to pay her. If they did it anyway, that's on them.

It's not her responsibility to look out for Netflix's bottom line.

Actually

If she's not worth the money they didn't have to pay her. If they did it anyway, then that's what she's worth.

Something is worth what people are willing to pay.

Top Bottom