• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces (Wii) Tales of VS (PSP), Tales of Vesperia (PS3) JP sites open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechaX

For me, Destiny Remake was just on the clear opposite end of the spectrum in terms of Normal Attack and Arte balance in comparison to most of the Team Symphonia games. Yeah, when it gets down to it, it does have more combo potentiality than something like Attack x9 -> Base Arte -> Etc, etc. But on that end, it completely unravels the difficulty in some places (especially towards the end of the game when you have quite a lot of CC on your characters with high damaging, multi-hitting moves to boot). When considering how useless normal attacks were in Destiny R, I usually wondered why they did not just nix it in the first place. Of course, it's not too bad to other Action RPGs that take a more skill oriented focus (Star Ocean 2 and 4, for instance, where normal attacks were useless right out of the gate, and it definitely was not like Destiny R enemies just allowed themselves to be caught in combos all the time either like the two example games here).

I would say that Rebirth had the best balance between them, as the artes were not that spammable but were quite invaluable in lots of situations. Normal attacks were good starters, but it was not like you could just do all normal attacks uninterrupted like in Abyss and Vesperia and then go for the same arte combination. In the end though, I would prefer if Graces took a Rebirth stand on things, but I prefer the CC system to most of the Team Symphonia TP battle systems.

TreIII

MechaX said:
In the end though, I would prefer if Graces took a Rebirth stand on things, but I prefer the CC system to most of the Team Symphonia TP battle systems.

Pretty much cosign with this.

But in the end, the fact that Graces is using a CC system is good enough for me already. After I got my first taste of a CC system, it was harder and harder to go back to the TP-based systems again. :lol

cnet128 said:
Hi guys.

Just got my GAF account activated, big Tales fan, if there's a Tales thread you're likely to see me in it. Been following this thread for a while, totally hyped for Tales of Graces. I was a Nintendo-console-only gamer up until recently, so the only Tales games I'd played were Phantasia, Symphonia, Innocence, Symphonia 2, and Hearts. Oh, and Tempest, though I only bought that because it was crazy cheap, and never got very far in it :lol

Earlier this year, though, I finally bought a PS2, mostly so that I could play the Tales games I've been missing out on, and so far have played Abyss and am working my way through Destiny (Director's Cut). Loving it so far.

Still kind of irritates me that I won't be able to play VS or Vesperia, but I just can't justify buying those consoles to myself. But Graces hype and my backlog are certainly enough to keep me on a Tales high for the moment :D

. . . . Arnt you the guy from Mangahelpers who makes trans for Naruto?

I lovz your trans!!!

Geneijin

MechaX said:
For me, Destiny Remake was just on the clear opposite end of the spectrum in terms of Normal Attack and Arte balance in comparison to most of the Team Symphonia games. Yeah, when it gets down to it, it does have more combo potentiality than something like Attack x9 -> Base Arte -> Etc, etc.

If you want that balance though, I can understand and see your point but I don't really see it as a negative honestly.

But on that end, it completely unravels the difficulty in some places (especially towards the end of the game when you have quite a lot of CC on your characters with high damaging, multi-hitting moves to boot).

I might have agreed with you if I didn't switch to the Director's Cut, but then again, the difficulty I was facing on Chaos in DC is remedied if I switch it down to Evil and never ported my save from Destiny remake (forgot what I was on before I did). Haven't played it in a year or so though. I'm hoping Graces keeps in mind the same critical hit modifier (heal CC for each critical) in the DC and doesn't make a move like Rainbow Arc again to reduce near-infinites.

I would say that Rebirth had the best balance between them, as the artes were not that spammable but were quite invaluable in lots of situations.

I think so too from what little I've played of it. I have yet to finish the game sadly.

cnet128

Banned
Black-Wind said:
. . . . Arnt you the guy from Mangahelpers who makes trans for Naruto?

I lovz your trans!!!
That would be me, yes (though Naruto is the least of the series I translate ><)

...But I think that discussion goes over in the manga thread =p

Dammit, watching all the videos on the Tales of VS website makes me kind of wish I had a PSP. That game would so be an insta-buy >_<

Foffy

Banned
Mr. Wonderful said:
Yeah, still not holding my breath though.

It's Namco, you should never hold your breath. :D

They're very inconsistent with Tales games in terms of international releases that it's almost tragic people are often not hoping for much at all in general for the series.

Netto-kun

Despite loving the EG system in Hearts, I do agree that it eventually turned rather spammy (like juggling enemies in mid-air with Shings Shouseijin :lol).

And not having played the Destiny remake, the CC system seems rather interesting.

Spiegel said:
Will pick this game up along with the other Tales mothership games for PSP when I head back to Japan.:D

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Seda said:
Tales of Versus looks good, but too bad it probably won't be localized....
Why not? They could push the characters that are recognizable in the west, it's not the same type of game as RM and with Sony pushing publishers to get games out on PSP lately it's not unlikely. Actually, I wouldn't be surprise if it was localized and made DD only.

Foffy

Banned
jj984jj said:
Why not? They could push the characters that are recognizable in the west, it's not the same type of game as RM and with Sony pushing publishers to get games out on PSP lately it's not unlikely. Actually, I wouldn't be surprise if it was localized and made DD only.

What's holding it back is Namco, as the Tales games they decide to translate seem to solely be based on one big game of roulette.

The DS is a far more popular system than the PSP, and Namco has not even attempted to localize any of the three Tales games on the platform. Why would they put such effort in this case?

Rpgmonkey

Seda said:
Considering we've heard nothing about Tales of Hearts or Radiant Mythology 2, I'm not getting my hopes up for VS.

At this point I think it's safe to say the DS Tales games probably won't be getting localized.

Though who's to say they didn't skip Radiant Mythology 2 in favor of VS though? There's a pretty good stream of fighters/beat 'em ups on the platform recently, some of them by Bandai Namco themselves, and something like VS would probably be a little more appealing than an RPG like the RM games.

Kiryogi said:
And as it remains Destiny 2 is around my top 3. The whole story and cast for Rebirth really hurts it in my eyes haha.
I know what you mean (story-wise at least since I like some of the characters) but the awesome of the battle system easily made up for it and it's my favourite TD Tales, with Abyss my favourite TS one.

Foffy said:
What's holding it back is Namco, as the Tales games they decide to translate seem to solely be based on one big game of roulette.

The DS is a far more popular system than the PSP, and Namco has not even attempted to localize any of the three Tales games on the platform. Why would they put such effort in this case?
Well, not to defend Namco too much, but the DS games all have issues; Tempest was shit, Innocence was a spinoff/mainline hybrid with identity crisis and well Hearts is the dreaded 2D Tales game they fear to localise...

I think there is a good chance we'll get Versus, personally.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
kiryogi said:
And yet we never got the infinitely superior Radiant Mythology 2 despite getting 1.

Bingo, I imported Radiant Mythology 2 and I can tell you that it is far superior than the first game.

It is on a whole different level of awesome.

kiryogi

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Bingo, I imported Radiant Mythology 2 and I can tell you that it is far superior than the first game.

It is on a whole different level of awesome.

Same, and I can't wait for the soundtrack.

I don't like fighting games in general but i checked some of the videos of the VS. game.
Is it me or is one of the minigames where you knock your enemy against a wall is pretty awesome?? seriously it looks WAY better than the main game itself.

cnet128

Banned
Iria? Nooooooo! ><

...Well, she should have a pretty unique style of play (everybody loves guns!), so it's a fair choice really =p Even if she is a character of fail.

jj984jj

blu said:
that must be the second-highest production values 3rd-party wii title i've seen for year (first being crystal bearers).

oops, forgot about MH3.
I was about to replace TCB with MH3 since TCB doesn't even look as good as ToG. :lol

Edit: There are more ToG screens on Dengeki, including some with the character GUI in battle:
http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/180/180648/
x5sf4k.jpg

And an article on Versus too:
http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/180/180079/

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
blu said:
that must be the second-highest production values 3rd-party wii title i've seen this year (first being crystal bearers).

ed: oops, forgot about MH3.

Would Muramasa count?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
ZealousD said:
Would Muramasa count?
while it looks gorgeous, i'd venture to guess its genre and scale suppose lower assets costs. but yes, scene-per-scene, muramasa stands in its own league.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
dude, i thought you knew that Wii screens are ridiculously non-representative of what ends up on your screen.

Firestorm said:
3457537024_efa8017c63_o.jpg

3749469169_10ebe41d0d_o.jpg

Maybe I just haven't played my Wii in a while or something =/

It looks good for Wii, but I think it can look way better. They still got along time to work on it since I believe its a 2010 release. Vesperia sure did spoil me tho, but Graces looks good so far.

SilverLunar said:
c20090723_tog_04_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

There is something different in this pic that irks me, I don't know what it is but something about how the characters look.

I have the same feeling, they do seem sick in the screens.

Oh and like Doomed1 said, Wii games look way better in motion :D

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
LINK.AGE76 said:
I have the same feeling, they do seem sick in the screens.

Oh and like Doomed1 said, Wii games look way better in motion :D
well, if you have a shitty scaler on an HDTV, then everything SD is going to look like shit, but for the most part this game looks very cash.

Stunt

Banned
I gotta say, the more and more I see of Tales of Graces the more I want my Wii back. Shouldn't have sold it, it actually has some games coming out that I want. Damn Craigslist.

Haunted

Graces doesn't look much better than Symphonia 2, which didn't look that fantastic in the first place, imo. The background art was totally ace, but the character models and especially the animations were pretty subpar.

Stunt said:
I gotta say, the more and more I see of Tales of Graces the more I want my Wii back. Shouldn't have sold it, it actually has some games coming out that I want. Damn Craigslist.
nelson-muntzcopycopy.png

Rpgmonkey

SilverLunar said:
c20090723_tog_04_cs1w1_640x359.jpg

There is something different in this pic that irks me, I don't know what it is but something about how the characters look.

I like this pic. :p

Faces and facial animations in Tales always looks fake and stiff to me (I found Vesperia's in particular pretty off-putting). Something about Cheria's look in this seems more natural, same for the other shots of her.

wrowa

I really like the look of the game, but it's hard to deny that the battle screens doesn't look that good. Which isn't a problem since the battles were so awesome in the last trailer :eek:

But I'm still depressed that she isn't the heroine. ;(
c20090723_tog_01_cs1w1_340x640.jpg

jj984jj

Haunted said:
Graces doesn't look much better than Symphonia 2, which didn't look that fantastic in the first place, imo. The background art was totally ace, but the character models and especially the animations were pretty subpar.
The animation is subpar? I definitely disagree there, I doubt they're doing new motion captured animation for this, they'll probably reuse what they did for DotNW where they can but because of how fast they want battles to be it's probably easier to do them manually. That said I don't think they look worse than other manually-done animations for battles in this series, including ToV, they definitely put a lot of work into it. Overall graphically I think they're putting a lot more effort into this than they did ToS: DotNW, but then again I thought DotNW looked worse than ToA in some ways. Obviously this is on Wii and won't touch ToV but I think ToG looks pretty nice, but definitely above ToA and a few steps ahead of ToS: DotNW.

Honestly the only thing I'm worried about is the story, if I'll be able to stomach it. I'm not expecting it to be great but... :X A good localization might help, hopefully they put as much into it as they did DotNW and don't use Johnny Yong Bosch or Yuri Lowenthal for any leads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom