• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces (Wii) Tales of VS (PSP), Tales of Vesperia (PS3) JP sites open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
awesome images

jj984jj said:
The animation is subpar? I definitely disagree there, I doubt they're doing new motion captured animation for this, they'll probably reuse what they did for DotNW where they can but because of how fast they want battles to be it's probably easier to do them manually. That said I don't think they look worse than other manually-done animations for battles in this series, including ToV, they definitely put a lot of work into it. Overall graphically I think they're putting a lot more effort into this than they did ToS: DotNW, but then again I thought DotNW looked worse than ToA in some ways. Obviously this is on Wii and won't touch ToV but I think ToG looks pretty nice, but definitely above ToA and a few steps ahead of ToS: DotNW.

Honestly the only thing I'm worried about is the story, if I'll be able to stomach it. I'm not expecting it to be great but... :X A good localization might help, hopefully they put as much into it as they did DotNW and don't use Johnny Yong Bosch or Yuri Lowenthal for any leads.
This is Team Destiny... I doubt they're using anything coming from Team Symphonia/Team Ratatosk.

Otherwise... they'd be using that beat up engine whom they used for ToSDotNW as well (thank god they won't)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
lostinblue said:
This is Team Destiny... I doubt they're using anything coming from Team Symphonia/Team Ratatosk.

Otherwise... they'd be using that beat up engine whom they used for ToSDotNW as well (thank god they won't)
I doubt that, it's an improved version of the same engine, it might be from Team Destiny but it's still a Namco Tales Studio game.

cnet128

Banned
...So I bought a shiny new Spirited Green PSP yesterday, largely so I can play Tales of VS. Naturally there are other games I'd like to play as well, but... without those pretty VS trailers playing in Sofmap, I don't think I would have bought it ><

A pity PS3s aren't something so easily impulse-bought (or justified)... I guess Vesperia is going to stay the one game out of my play range for a while... *hopes to find someone with a PS3 to leech off*

Anyway, point is, can I join the VS hype for reals now pls? ^^ Just over a week to go~!

Aru

lostinblue said:
awesome images

Where can I find a list of the different Tales teams and the games they made ?
How do you know Team Destiny is making Graces ?

Netto-kun

cnet128 said:
...So I bought a shiny new Spirited Green PSP yesterday, largely so I can play Tales of VS. Naturally there are other games I'd like to play as well, but... without those pretty VS trailers playing in Sofmap, I don't think I would have bought it ><

A pity PS3s aren't something so easily impulse-bought (or justified)... I guess Vesperia is going to stay the one game out of my play range for a while... *hopes to find someone with a PS3 to leech off*

Anyway, point is, can I join the VS hype for reals now pls? ^^ Just over a week to go~!
Well, you could give yourself an excuse and buy the PSP versions of Phantasia, Eternia, Destiny 2 and Rebirth, unless you already have those games (or you don't mind double dipping). :lol Or maybe the Radiant Mythology games? :D

Ettie

Netto-kun said:
Well, you could give yourself an excuse and buy the PSP versions of Phantasia, Eternia, Destiny 2 and Rebirth, unless you already have those games (or you don't mind double dipping). :lol Or maybe the Radiant Mythology games? :D

Is that sarcasm? Honestly, does GAF hold them in high regard?

batbeg

Ettenra said:
Is that sarcasm? Honestly, does GAF hold them in high regard?

Oddly the first one got a good deal of love here, amongst Tales fans anyway. I hated it, but it was my first (and thus far, only) free-run Tales battle system.

cnet128

Banned
Netto-kun said:
Well, I bought Destiny 2 along with the PSP, so I'll be playing that as soon as I'm done with ToD:DC. Eternia and Rebirth I haven't played, so it's pretty likely I'll get those at some point, and Phantasia I don't own, and haven't played in any form but the ancient SNES version, so that's a possibility as well. (Arche having the voice of Satoko from Higurashi unnerves me, though... nobody other than Satoko~~<3 should be allowed to have a voice that awesome ><)

The Radiant Mythology games, I'd be interested to hear TalesGAF's thoughts on, since I don't really know all that much about them, but the idea of Tales crossover goodness appeals in general. What are they like; are they any good? If I was going to check them out, would I be better off taking them in order, or just getting one of the two?

Back on topic, the ToVS opening looks... well, pretty generic, to be honest. It's pretty enough, I guess. The song is certainly nothing special. Doesn't change the fact that I'm seriously hyped for the game itself, though.

Muffinman

Banned
MotherFan said:
I'm hopin cause I don't have the money to buy a ps3 to get this again. :/

I'm pretty sure the new content will be PS3 exclusive.

New ougis, fully voiced, new artes, new character, new bosses, new Giganto monsters, new story sequences, etc...

Looks like the new content will be MASSIVE, I doubt a simple DLC would add all this to the 360 version.

Muffinman said:
I doubt a simple DLC would add all this to the 360 version.
They added an entire island to Burnout Paradise. Even if they didn't give 360 owners everything, a few of the bosses and artes could be added, as well as the new character (even if she had no bearing on the story).

I wouldn't expect the new story sequences or the added voice acting though. But I'd pay $$$ to download the rest. Do it Namco!

eggandI

Banned
Gotta say, stupid as these Tales of games are, that tales of Graces looks fucking sweet. Combat system is what will make me get it, if it gets NA release. I hope all the cutscenes are skippable. I watched someone play that Tales of Vesperia and you couldn't skip em. It was hell.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
SilverLunar said:
This is the second worst videogame anime opening i have ever seen.

Beh, I think it is good enough for anime fighting game. If you compare it to rpg, then I would more likely to understand this.

Spiegel

I've read that Tales of Versus was outsourced to Matrix, can anyone with the game confirm this?

Surprising if true because Matrix had not done a psp game yet

Rpgmonkey

Been ages since I had anything to say in this thread...

Anyway, three more costumes confirmed for Vesperia.

"Vengeful Holy Knight" (Chloe Valens, Legendia) for Estelle, "Red Twin Blade Master" (Lloyd Irving, Symphonia) for Karol, and "Remarkable Hit Man" (Ricardo Soldato, Innocence) for Raven.

In case I forgot to mention it, there was also a scan ages back that confirmed a Rutee costume for Judith, but it had no name.

As for Graces, still this Winter.

Style-Shift, CC, Around Step, etc.

Something new called the "Eles Pot". Put some ingredients in and while walking around you'll make a recovery item.

Graces also has the series staple of Titles, and it looks like when you equip them you get various effects/skills. Looks like you can master the skills by building up skill points, so even when you change titles, you can still keep whatever the title gave you.

Rpgmonkey said:
Graces also has the series staple of Titles, and it looks like when you equip them you get various effects/skills. Looks like you can master the skills by building up skill points, so even when you change titles, you can still keep whatever the title gave you.

Sounds like how you earn skills in vesperia (have weapons/accessories equipped until the skills are unlocked). Should work just as well.

Sagitario

Rpgmonkey said:
Anyway, three more costumes confirmed for Vesperia.

"Vengeful Holy Knight" (Chloe Valens, Legendia) for Estelle, "Red Twin Blade Master" (Lloyd Irving, Symphonia) for Karol, and "Remarkable Hit Man" (Ricardo Soldato, Innocence) for Raven.

In case I forgot to mention it, there was also a scan ages back that confirmed a Rutee costume for Judith, but it had no name.

I really like these kind of easter eggs/homages in games... :D

Rpgmonkey said:
As for Graces, still this Winter.

Style-Shift, CC, Around Step, etc.

Something new called the "Eles Pot". Put some ingredients in and while walking around you'll make a recovery item.

Sounds pretty much like Vesperia...

Rpgmonkey

A little update on the Title/Skill system.

It is very much like Vesperia, with a couple differences. Primarily that titles have a passive ability, and that you can also learn artes.

For example, Asbel has the Title "Sparkling Knight". It's passive ability is that it increases his movement in battle by 6%. The skills that you can learn are Demon Fang, Evade +3, Gain, Evade +5, and Saihyoujin (no English name afaik). Each title has a certain amount of SP needed to master every ability, in this case, 150.

The skills are "ranked", with five stars, so I guess that means every Title has 5 things you can learn each. Also think this means that you don't need the maximum amount of SP just to learn one thing you may need. You learn basic stuff (Demon Fang), and if you decide to get more SP for the title, advanced stuff (Saihyoujin).

Like in Vesperia, you gain points (Skill Points, SP), which goes towards the Title that the character has equipped. Once you get enough, you master the skills on the Title, and learn a skill. Once you master the skill, you can change Titles and still be able to use whatever the character has learned (on in the case of stat boosts, I guess it's just going to be permanent).

Also, the number of Titles you can get in this game is HUGE in comparison to other ones. Asbel has 112 Titles alone, which means there are 560 things he can learn (assuming every Title will have five skills he can master), and 112 passive abilities.

I definitely don't think 99% of a character's Titles are going to be found from sidequests this time around like they usually are. You probably get a lot with little effort. I really wouldn't be surprised if one way you can get a new Title is by fully mastering another Title.

As for the Eles Pot, it has a certain amount of energy, which is consumed when you make something. You can make things from food (like Onigiri/Rice Balls) to recovery items (Apple Gels). Put in the ingredients, and you can make these things while traveling around.

Rpgmonkey

More costumes for Vesperia (if anyone cares...).

Yuri gets a Judas costume, Repede gets Caius, and Rita gets Mao. That makes:

Yuri - Judas (Tales of Destiny 2)
Estelle - Chloe (Tales of Legendia)
Repede - Caius (Tales of the Tempest)
Karol - Lloyd (Tales of Symphonia)
Rita - Mao (Tales of Rebirth)
Judith - Rutee (Tales of Destiny)
Raven - Ricardo (Tales of Innocence)

Also looks like instead of making a new cameo fight, you can fight all four of them at once, and there are some new attachments (a cat hat, for example).

Attempts at making this a more accessible game for people in the west seem to have gone entirely out the window for the PS3 version... more references to games that never came to the west, slight connectivity to ToVS, new content that connects to the movie, and a special costume where the reference is completely lost for the English counterpart.

Not that this really means it can't come over or anything, but this is aimed more at Japan (and the fanbase the series has over there) than I originally expected.

Rpgmonkey said:
For example, Asbel has the Title "Sparkling Knight".
Will this makes his clothes extra shiny and makes a disco ball appears in the battles to make his clothes sparkle??
Disco dude...

And boo for suggesting that ToV won't get an English release, I was looking forward to that one.

Is this a series tradition? whats with the huge amount of costumes??? do fans really demand these pointless things? leave these cameo and fanservise stuff to crossovers sheesh.

Rpgmonkey

SilverLunar said:
Is this a series tradition? whats with the huge amount of costumes??? do fans really demand these pointless things? leave these cameo and fanservise stuff to crossovers sheesh.

The costumes are really quite popular.

It's not exactly a series tradition since only one line of games really does it (Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia), but a lot of the fanbase loves the cameos and fanservice material.

Being the great entrepreneurs they are, Bandai Namco's started to take advantage of this fact a lot more recently, looking at the movie, bonus costumes for preordering the game, DLC costume, bonus content for buying both ToV and ToVS (still surprised that there's no bonus for seeing the movie and buying ToV), and the number of fanservice costumes.

Just read this on the playstation blog:

Hi Jeff
I noticed earlier you said you were talking to Bandai Namco about a localised release of Tales of Vesperia. Has anything come of it? Is there a realistic chance of it getting a PS3 release in the near future?

Jeff Rubenstein replied on August 23, 2009 at 11:28 pm

They’ve still got nothing to announce. Believe me, I bring it up with them every chance I get (including just last week)

Source (comment 34): http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/08/23/playstation-around-the-web-what-we-read-63/#commentform

Anyone think this game is still a chance of a localised release?

Netto-kun

Wow, 100+ titles for Asbel and even more skills to master from each of the titles. It's going to take some time to max out all the titles to get the skills. :eek:

hteng said:
a bit disappointing.. and they forgot to include reid lol... its a bit short to show case all the characters.
Well, Reid is only playable in the Tales of Wallbreaker mini game, so they only showed the playable characters from the main game (believe it or not, they actually managed to show all of them :lol ).

Late edit: Flynn gets Cless costume, while Patty is getting Anise costume.

Rpgmonkey

Commercial for ToV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7yv81bbUkA

Also, after several months of nothing really happening, they've finally opened the game's site...

...with almost no content to look at, stuff copy+pasted from the 360 version's site (well, the design of the menu and like one or two backgrounds), and nothing new (that's really that interesting).

Good to see you're still cheap and lazy with the websites for your ports/rereleases Bamco/Tales Studio. Let's see if this becomes another Tales of Destiny: DC fiasco. :p

Rpgmonkey

Farore said:
What was the ToD DC fiasco?

They made a website for the game, but got really lazy and did a weird job about it.

They took forever to update, then they barely updated it. They were missing videos that never got added, and a character's name got misspelled (Chelsea was spelled Chersea or something like that). Eventually they just removed all the videos it seems.

Anyway, two new characters for Graces.

Malik Ceasars
Voiced by Hiroki Touchi
A superior instructor at the Knight Academy, Asbel's teacher. He's an man that has a frank and moderate composure. He's a "throwing blade knight" (supposedly, he has a sickle-shaped boomerang, that's remote controlled or something). Master of many attacks and skills of various types, and regardless of the style you use he has high offensive power. Asbel looks up to him.

Pascal
Voiced by Kana Ueda
A genius engineer Asbel encounters on his journey. Speaks in a way that makes it hard to understand how she really feels. Uses a cane/staff that has a gun built in, and can also use magic (Magic Glyph User...or something).

Don't get fooled by these scans, Last time they showed the glasses dude with black hair while it was actually light blue (same with the clothes).

cnet128

Banned
Hm, liking those new Graces characters. Although I'm getting a little worried... we now have three youngish females and still no proper loli character; I need my loli quota filled, Namco! >_<

Aru said:
No one bought Tales of VS ?
*raises hand* I did! I've been playing it quite a bit in the past few weeks. Impressions, impressions... well, it has more RPG elements than I originally expected. It feels more like a hybrid between a Tales game and a fighter than one or the other. It has levelling up, learning Artes, buying weapons, armour, etc. to be equipped, and in-depth skill customisation stuff.

I've mostly been playing the Yggdrasil Battle mode, which is basically the 'story mode'. Not sure how much of this has been covered in this thread already, but it has a number of different of stories to play through, with new, related ones unlocking after others are completed, and each one follows a pair of protagonists (either of which can be controlled by the player) through their adventures in the tournament.

The world is all-new, with characters given new backstories, but parallels to the original games abound, with things like replicas, Swordians, beastman discrimination, the Tartaros, etc. all playing a part in the storyline. Naturally the storyline is nothing deep or hugely original, but it's enough to keep me interested, and watching all the different characters interact in the full-voice skit-style story scenes is always entertaining.

In general, playing through the story mode is a lot of fun. Different icons appear on the map representing different types of scenes. Story scenes and bonus scenes are similar, usually (but not always) involving a 2-on-2 battle against enemies at a set level; the only difference is that the story scenes are voiced, and must be completed to progress, whereas bonus scenes are unvoiced, and just stick around on the map until you choose to face them. In addition to these, there are random battle icons, which face you against two of the 'generic enemy characters' (named "Monk", "Soldier", "Sword man" and "Mage"); unlike the story battles, these can be 1-life or point battles in addition to the usual 3-life setup, and they're tailored to your characters' levels, so they're useful for grinding if you're not a high enough level to face the next story battle. Each character's story is paced such that you finish learning all your Artes (including your Hi-Ougi) about two-thirds or so of the way through.

My only regret is that I doubt there will be a story mode for every character in the game; it's a really nice experience, and it won't be quite as fun levelling up the remaining characters in the Arcade Mode instead once all the story modes are finished. Right now, I've done the story modes for Lloyd and Colette, Cless and Kratos, and Luke and Tear, and nearly finished Jade and Anise's.

As for the actual fighting gameplay, characters control pretty much exactly how you'd expect. Each character can learn a fairly large selection of Artes, and four can be set in battle. (If I have one complaint about this game, it's that the analog nub is reserved for setting your partner AI's strategy, when it could have been used for setting extra Artes instead.) All characters can double-jump, backstep and forward-step, and they become more agile as you level up and buy/earn more skills (there are settable skills to add triple-jumps, increase the length of your backstep, increase movement speed etc). Arche alone stands out as moving completely differently... I haven't tried her out yet, but she appears to actually fly, which seems interesting to say the least XD

Though the characters control like Tales games characters, the large stages with lots of platforms, 3-life rule and unforgiving time limit all give the battles a distinctly different feel from ordinary Tales-game battles. The game uses a TP system, which might seem a little odd since you're given full TP at the start of every battle, but actually works rather well; it's fairly easily used-up, but regenerates at a decent speed, and is refilled when you go into Over Limit.

Over Limit plays a big part in battling, since simply going into Over Limit knocks nearby enemy characters to the ground, Over Limit characters never stumble, and of course it's only in Over Limit that characters can use their Hi-Ougis. In addition to the usual ways of building up the Over Limit gauge, characters have a taunt that fills it a little, and energy balls that fill a large portion of it spawn regularly across the stage for characters to grab. Once the gauge is full, Over Limit can be activated by pressing the L and R buttons; in addition to ordinary activation, it can be activated to break an enemy combo, with the downside that this causes it to run out very quickly, generally not giving you time to perform that all-important Hi-Ougi.

Oh, and as for Wallbreaker mode, I've only very briefly checked it out, but it seems insane >< The action is hectic, and I haven't really got a grip on how the weird power-gauge system actually works. Characters switch places all the time, and can be blasted out through either wall once it's been smashed, so a win can turn into a loss and vice versa incredibly easily.

Overall, I'm definitely enjoying the game, though I'd hesitate to recommend it to non-Japanese-speaking importers, since the focus on storyline scenes and character customisation would doubtless leave them a little lost.

RyuKanSan

So no localization on ToV (ps3) or are we still waiting for final word? The same with Graces? If they released DotNW I would hope they'd have the same treatment for Graces considering it's their mothership title

CoolS

RyuKanSan said:
So no localization on ToV (ps3) or are we still waiting for final word? The same with Graces? If they released DotNW I would hope they'd have the same treatment for Graces considering it's their mothership title

If Graces doesn't at least come out in the US, I#m going to have to learn japanese while killing people :(

Aru

cnet128 said:
Hm, liking those new Graces characters. Although I'm getting a little worried... we now have three youngish females and still no proper loli character; I need my loli quota filled, Namco! >_<

*raises hand* I did! I've been playing it quite a bit in the past few weeks. Impressions, impressions... well, it has more RPG elements than I originally expected. It feels more like a hybrid between a Tales game and a fighter than one or the other. It has levelling up, learning Artes, buying weapons, armour, etc. to be equipped, and in-depth skill customisation stuff.

I've mostly been playing the Yggdrasil Battle mode, which is basically the 'story mode'. Not sure how much of this has been covered in this thread already, but it has a number of different of stories to play through, with new, related ones unlocking after others are completed, and each one follows a pair of protagonists (either of which can be controlled by the player) through their adventures in the tournament.

The world is all-new, with characters given new backstories, but parallels to the original games abound, with things like replicas, Swordians, beastman discrimination, the Tartaros, etc. all playing a part in the storyline. Naturally the storyline is nothing deep or hugely original, but it's enough to keep me interested, and watching all the different characters interact in the full-voice skit-style story scenes is always entertaining.

In general, playing through the story mode is a lot of fun. Different icons appear on the map representing different types of scenes. Story scenes and bonus scenes are similar, usually (but not always) involving a 2-on-2 battle against enemies at a set level; the only difference is that the story scenes are voiced, and must be completed to progress, whereas bonus scenes are unvoiced, and just stick around on the map until you choose to face them. In addition to these, there are random battle icons, which face you against two of the 'generic enemy characters' (named "Monk", "Soldier", "Sword man" and "Mage"); unlike the story battles, these can be 1-life or point battles in addition to the usual 3-life setup, and they're tailored to your characters' levels, so they're useful for grinding if you're not a high enough level to face the next story battle. Each character's story is paced such that you finish learning all your Artes (including your Hi-Ougi) about two-thirds or so of the way through.

My only regret is that I doubt there will be a story mode for every character in the game; it's a really nice experience, and it won't be quite as fun levelling up the remaining characters in the Arcade Mode instead once all the story modes are finished. Right now, I've done the story modes for Lloyd and Colette, Cless and Kratos, and Luke and Tear, and nearly finished Jade and Anise's.

As for the actual fighting gameplay, characters control pretty much exactly how you'd expect. Each character can learn a fairly large selection of Artes, and four can be set in battle. (If I have one complaint about this game, it's that the analog nub is reserved for setting your partner AI's strategy, when it could have been used for setting extra Artes instead.) All characters can double-jump, backstep and forward-step, and they become more agile as you level up and buy/earn more skills (there are settable skills to add triple-jumps, increase the length of your backstep, increase movement speed etc). Arche alone stands out as moving completely differently... I haven't tried her out yet, but she appears to actually fly, which seems interesting to say the least XD

Though the characters control like Tales games characters, the large stages with lots of platforms, 3-life rule and unforgiving time limit all give the battles a distinctly different feel from ordinary Tales-game battles. The game uses a TP system, which might seem a little odd since you're given full TP at the start of every battle, but actually works rather well; it's fairly easily used-up, but regenerates at a decent speed, and is refilled when you go into Over Limit.

Over Limit plays a big part in battling, since simply going into Over Limit knocks nearby enemy characters to the ground, Over Limit characters never stumble, and of course it's only in Over Limit that characters can use their Hi-Ougis. In addition to the usual ways of building up the Over Limit gauge, characters have a taunt that fills it a little, and energy balls that fill a large portion of it spawn regularly across the stage for characters to grab. Once the gauge is full, Over Limit can be activated by pressing the L and R buttons; in addition to ordinary activation, it can be activated to break an enemy combo, with the downside that this causes it to run out very quickly, generally not giving you time to perform that all-important Hi-Ougi.

Oh, and as for Wallbreaker mode, I've only very briefly checked it out, but it seems insane >< The action is hectic, and I haven't really got a grip on how the weird power-gauge system actually works. Characters switch places all the time, and can be blasted out through either wall once it's been smashed, so a win can turn into a loss and vice versa incredibly easily.

Overall, I'm definitely enjoying the game, though I'd hesitate to recommend it to non-Japanese-speaking importers, since the focus on storyline scenes and character customisation would doubtless leave them a little lost.

Thanks for the impressions :)

So theres 2 new ToG characters? Gonna wait for better scans (the ones I can find make the dude look like Pascal's daddy or something).

So wait, is there like 1-2 more characters yet to be revealed? (Too many lil girls . . . needs a Sheena . . . )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom