• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

No I had done everything else for the quest in Pitchcliff and elsewhere. I'm kinda glad, the autosave before that fight was awful lol.

Pretty much happened to me. I had a robot under my control on the edge of the Stormbird area with the lures. Once I turned them off and it flew around it caught sight of the robot under my control and just sort of disappeared without me realizing it. It then showed I completed that part and I moved on.

I figured it glitched in some way by flying out of its zone when my robot caught its attention.

Soriku

This game can be really well written at times. Loved the dialogue with Erend and Avad at the conclusion to the Dervahl quest.

"Now I realize I was lucky to get a minute of your time" that hit me.

Still have a way to go, really looking forward to the expansion tho.

Melchiah

Horizon was not made in a bubble. We got Matrix and Terminator previously. It's not like they were the first to think up robot dinosaurs either.

Love the game and love Witcher also.

Horizon didn't take its story and characters straight from another source, like Witcher did. It's easier to build on a proven franchise, than to start one of your own.

I finished a couple weeks ago and got my theme in 3-4 days.

I'm beginning to think it's region related. It wouldn't surprise me, if some get it faster than others.

EDIT: Has anyone outside of NA received the theme sooner, or those living in Scandinavia?

I'm beginning to think it's region related. It wouldn't surprise me, if some get it faster than others.

EDIT: Has anyone outside of NA received the theme sooner, or those living in Scandinavia?

My PSN is NA but I live in Australia. Never got the platinum theme or congrats on beating the game emails :(

HardRojo

So my resources satchel keeps getting filled (I think it's maxed our at 100 capacity), what items should I be selling for money? I'm sure I don't need everything there.

Bold One

Finished it last night,

I have a lot of thoughts that I can't coherently express right now, but so far, my GOTY.

I can't believe that Guerilla Games made this...

Honestly, on the story front, this shits on anything ND have ever done, and I say that as ND fan...

A remarkable achievement, well done.

That sweet feeling after a few tries i get another 50% Weapon Coil
oAF9ZU5.jpg

Got so many 50% Coils Which i should after 290 hours

Bold One

Horizon was not made in a bubble. We got Matrix and Terminator previously. It's not like they were the first to think up robot dinosaurs either.

Love the game and love Witcher also.

That's a goddamn reach and not at all in relation to my point in any way and you know it.

2 QUESTIONS!

1. I never got my Platinum Theme - why?

2. Did Sunhi talk about his Studio Tour yet?

It was incredible, Dennis the lead robot designer gave me a full tour, went to each department and had a brief look at what they do and some demonstrations of their work, I loved hanging around and chatting, everyone was really, really cool. It was great meeting Jan-Bart, Hermen, everyone who worked on the game, it was also kinda surreal when some of the developers and producers would come up to me to shake my hand and thanking me for my work, Hermen kept referring to me as the legend, overwhelming appreciation, it was pretty insane. The whole day was awesome, from the studio visit to drinks in the evening, the atmosphere was great, I didn't get back to the hotel till like 5am, I was completely wasted lol, it was a great night. I did receive some gifts as well, an art book signed by everyone and a collectors edition of the game which Hermen gave me while I was in his office and signed it along with Jan-Bart. I couldn't thank them enough for the trip. I had a great time.

Alpende

It was incredible, Dennis the lead robot designer gave me a full tour, went to each department and had a brief look at what they do and some demonstrations of their work, I loved hanging around and chatting, everyone was really, really cool. It was great meeting Jan-Bart, Hermen, everyone who worked on the game, it was also kinda surreal when some of the developers and producers would come up to me to shake my hand and thanking me for my work, Hermen kept referring to me as the legend, overwhelming appreciation, it was pretty insane. The whole day was awesome, from the studio visit to drinks in the evening, the atmosphere was great, I didn't get back to the hotel till like 5am, I was completely wasted lol, it was a great night. I did receive some gifts as well, an art book signed by everyone and a collectors edition of the game which Hermen gave me while I was in his office and signed it along with Jan-Bart. I couldn't thank them enough for the trip. I had a great time.

Great to hear dude. You deserved it after all those amazing gifs.

That sounds pretty awesome really. Congrats again!

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Horizon didn't take its story and characters straight from another source, like Witcher did. It's easier to build on a proven franchise, than to start one of your own.

It took a couple of days, up to a week, for me. Live in Sweden.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Yeah that's cool and all but start leaking us stuff!

Auraela

Banned
Might seem a silly question but does it follow the trend of most open world games which are basically spin offs from ubi jank.

Im so burnt out on open world games they all do the same stuff.

The game looks great espeically combat but see above if its different

Cudder

You bugged Hermen's computer to see what they're working on next, right? I can help go through emails if you need a hand.

Might seem a silly question but does it follow the trend of most open world games which are basically spin offs from ubi jank.

Im so burnt out on open world games they all do the same stuff.

The game looks great espeically combat but see above if its different

There are "towers" to unlock, but only five, and they're interesting traversal puzzles in themselves. There are a collectibles, but not a ton of them, and they've actually got cool world-building tidbits to them. You can play through the main quest line almost as a linear game, as well, if you want.

jacobeid

Banned
General question, does the writing improve at all past the first few hours?

I finally beat Nier on Saturday and was able to spend about four hours with Horizon yesterday. To be quite honest, the opening section leading to The P
roving
bored the hell out of me. I didn't feel any connection with Aloy or why she would want to join a tribe that treated her so poorly. I played with my roommate on the couch next to me playing some 3DS. After fortyish minutes he turned to me to say "Uh, this doesn't seem very fun. Are you having any fun?" I wasn't.

Now that the game opened up a bit (I am currently with N
ora
about to go attack
the people who attacked the Proving
) I am enjoying it more. I want to see the game through to the end, but are these common complaints?

I like the combat, controls, and world more than anything else, and I really don't care about Aloy, the tribe, or what's happening right now.

Lady Gaia

I finally finished the main storyline last night. Rather later last night than I originally intended, but I think my wife will forgive me as she thoroughly enjoyed witnessing everything beginning to end.

What a ride! I had heard all the positive buzz about the storytelling and Aloy's character going in and I still wasn't remotely prepared for how well crafted the game would turn out to be. Every quest contributed to learning about the world as it is, every collectable was worth reading or listening to in order to find out about the world as it was. The two intertwine in such a compelling fashion that I'm still thinking about many aspects of it. It's easily the best science fiction tale I've experienced in gaming.

If I had to quibble? Sure, there are plenty of quirky animations and some regrettable lip syncing. More critically, at the very end
the post-credits scene feels like a cheap addition that doesn't exhibit the level of craft seen elsewhere. Personally, I think there are better hooks for a sequel already in place. We've seen several references to the colony ship that contained a preliminary version of all the lost Apollo material, and something that happened to the ship.

Auraela

Banned
There are "towers" to unlock, but only five, and they're interesting traversal puzzles in themselves. There are a collectibles, but not a ton of them, and they've actually got cool world-building tidbits to them. You can play through the main quest line almost as a linear game, as well, if you want.

Sounds better for sure thanks for reply. Get paid friday ill check it out

Must have missed the "traversal puzzles" on my playthrough. You literally find a place to jump on the Tallneck then hold two buttons to climb up. It takes like two minutes and is as automatic as any Ubi-style tower I've ever played. The Tallnecks are super cool, to be sure, but there is very little involved in getting to the top - and they certainly aren't "traversal puzzles."

Just want to offer my two cents in case the poster you responded to gets the wrong impression. I wouldn't go into Horizon looking for interesting climbing mechanics - it's about as automatic as it gets in this game.

Bold One

Sounds amazing, man.

Hope it inspired to keep up the good work.

Sounds epic, Sunhi!

Anyone share this yet? Guerrilla are holding a photo mode contest with weekly winners for a total of 9 weeks. The prizes are your photo printed on nice material and signed by the team.

C-LuITlXgAAo7hz.jpg

Complete rules

Auraela

Banned
Must have missed the "traversal puzzles" on my playthrough. You literally find a place to jump on the Tallneck then hold two buttons to climb up. It takes like two minutes and is as automatic as any Ubi-style tower I've ever played. The Tallnecks are super cool, to be sure, but there is very little involved in getting to the top - and they certainly aren't "traversal puzzles."

Just want to offer my two cents in case the poster you responded to gets the wrong impression. I wouldn't go into Horizon looking for interesting climbing mechanics - it's about as automatic as it gets in this game.

Im.mostly tired of the open world formula of ubi towers 2.0 every open world seems to wanna do. Plus tacted on side quests that are mostly redundant.

Melchiah

It took a couple of days, up to a week, for me. Live in Sweden.

Odd. Hopefully it arrives at some point.

Amazing gifs again, Sunhi. That moment the Thunderjaw freezes is spectacular. It sounds like the trip to Guerrilla headquarters was something to remember.

Im.mostly tired of the open world formula of ubi towers 2.0 every open world seems to wanna do. Plus tacted on side quests that are mostly redundant.

Sure, understood. If you hate map-fog clearing towers as a mechanic, then there are only five total in this game and they're relatively brief, plus Tallnecks are a neat spectacle. I was just clarifying that they're not "traversal puzzles" like the above poster said, so don't go in thinking that you're going to get something like that. You just find the (really obvious) point to jump on them from and, after a few button presses, voilà! You're at the top.

There's also plenty of redundant side quests and checklist activities, but you're always free to skip them.

LoveCake

I have got to the point now where I am finding it increasing difficult to bring the machines down, played for 24hrs so far and am on level 23, I have just done the Makers End (Main Quest) I don't know if I have gone to far into the game and not leveled my character up enough, been watching some video guides and the players are at level 27 on the makers End quest :/

forrest

formerly nacire
I have got to the point now where I am finding it increasing difficult to bring the machines down, played for 24hrs so far and am on level 23, I have just done the Makers End (Main Quest) I don't know if I have gone to far into the game and not leveled my character up enough, been watching some video guides and the players are at level 27 on the makers End quest :/

If you're watching guides, there probably isn't a lot to add.

-Make sure you're scanning the machines to take note of weak points/ weaknesses and exploit those always.

-Prep the battleground - setup traps, tripwires and maybe bring a machine weapon ahead of time if possible.

-Target machines' weapons and utilize them as much as possible as they do a lot of damage.

You can always go do side quests to level up a bit if you really feel like skill ability points are what's holding you back. Chances are you just need to find the best way to fight the enemies you're having trouble with.

LoveCake

If you're watching guides, there probably isn't a lot to add.

-Make sure you're scanning the machines to take note of weak points/ weaknesses and exploit those always.

-Prep the battleground - setup traps, tripwires and maybe bring a machine weapon ahead of time if possible.

-Target machines' weapons and utilize them as much as possible as they do a lot of damage.

You can always go do side quests to level up a bit if you really feel like skill ability points are what's holding you back. Chances are you just need to find the best way to fight the enemies you're having trouble with.

Thank you, it is more that I will reach a point where I don't have the right weapon, ammo or simply the skills I am worried about, I have watched this video a couple of times for tips and the 20+ machines I am wondering if I will be able to take them down, I know the guy in that video has that 'no damage' ultimate armor and even with that I would be concerned.

The level 14 Death Bringer in Maker's End was easier than I thought it would be though. shame there isn't a training area where you can pick the machines and you have unlimited ammo, I wouldn't mind being able to just buy as DLC that 'no damage' ultimate armor.

prophecy0

Thank you, it is more that I will reach a point where I don't have the right weapon, ammo or simply the skills I am worried about, I have watched this video a couple of times for tips and the 20+ machines I am wondering if I will be able to take them down, I know the guy in that video has that 'no damage' ultimate armor and even with that I would be concerned.

The level 14 Death Bringer in Maker's End was easier than I thought it would be though. shame there isn't a training area where you can pick the machines and you have unlimited ammo, I wouldn't mind being able to just buy as DLC that 'no damage' ultimate armor.

I rarely had trouble with machines once I had tearblast arrows. The biggest sticking point for me was learning when to use pure damage arrows (i.e., bellowback weakpoints, etc.) vs tearblast arrows (i.e., gun emplacements, armor protecting weak points, etc.)

If you want super easy mode, use the ropecaster, ice bombs, and sticky bombs. Rope a machine down, ice bomb it until it's fully "frozen", then throw as many sticky bombs on it as possible. Once it breaks out of the tether switch to blast bombs until the freeze effect wears off, then start the process over.

Lady Gaia

Do you think GG will include MP in the sequel?

I don't see it as a natural fit. Most of the interesting mechanics come from having wildly asymmetrical encounter design. Human-on-human combat is pretty dull. It's taking on a huge mechanical beast or a pack that gets interesting. Designing control mechanics for each of the creatures would be a heavy lift just to include multiplayer, and you'd lose a lot of what makes Aloy interesting: slow motion focus mode and slides don't work when the frame tick has be to roughly synchronized across all the players.

That doesn't mean it can't happen, but it does mean that I'd dismiss the idea if I were in their shoes. Without a compelling reason to do otherwise I don't see it.

Mubrik

after all ythose good gifs!.
well deserved. i keep playing the game and telling myself 'oh yh, thats a sunhi gif moment' lol.

OT: man the traversal and climbing is just so smooth i find myself wishing it was the same on uncharted 4. just push forward and she does everything not having to tap x all the time.

Mubrik

lol how do you do this shit man.
so good.

edit: ah now i see. i cant believe i was so oblivious to the impact adding double arrows to a shot was until yesterday when i started taking out creatures like chumps!.
it takes a little getting used to but well worth it. the impact is astonishing.

vivekTO

Awesome!! you are a great inspiration man!!

But now the Important Question , What are they actually working on? :p

chaosaeon

Sunhi did you convince them to add whatever that motion blur or framerate tampering or secret sauce is from your gifs to a patch for the game ?

GlamFM

Banned

This is completely thread worthy.

I bet you also have some pics and tweets you could share.

Do it!
Please ;)

Cudder

I went through the whole game without ever notching 2 or 3 arrows at once because I thought you had to hit R1 AFTER you had already pulled the bow back. Didn`t realize you had to do it before. I figured it just wasn`t compatible with the bow I was using lol.

GlamFM

Banned
I went through the whole game without ever notching 2 or 3 arrows at once because I thought you had to hit R1 AFTER you had already pulled the bow back. Didn`t realize you had to do it before. I figured it just wasn`t compatible with the bow I was using lol.

I knew about it, but still never used it.

Top Bottom