• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Darksol

Today is Setsubun!

鬼は外
 ∧_∧   (;゚Д゚)
(*-ω-)   と  つ
( つ□つ。・゚。゚。{ミミミミつ
 し-J    (ノ

∧_∧福は内
(*-ω-) 。・゚・。
( つ□つ
 し-J  。。。

shounenka

So who else is taking Monday morning off to get loaded, eat wings and watch the Super Bowl?

Gotta stock up on Premium Malts this weekend.

Desmond

Heading back over to Japan in two weeks or so on a Working Holiday. Any tips for getting the Working portion up and running? I'll be based primarily in Tokyo with the GF.

Kaworu

Anything? lol
Did my degree in Applied Linguistics and Translation, so anything where I could use my languages. Japanese is a bit rusty but I assume being in Japan will bring it back up.

I recommend looking into Glassdoor/LinkedIn and justa.io after checking gaijinpot and the other usual suspects. Justa focuses on Japanese startups so you will find some translation/writing and marketing jobs too.

Good luck with your job hunting!

shounenka

It's saddening to see how many translation companies emphasize the ability to use TRADOS, etc. these days as a cost-cutting measure. I'd learn how to use it as soon as possible to either increase chances of finding in-house translation work or broaden a potential freelance client base from the get-go.

Or, you could be old-school like me and wing it without translation software, but in this day in age...it's hard to recommend.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
It's saddening to see how many translation companies emphasize the ability to use TRADOS, etc. these days as a cost-cutting measure. I'd learn how to use it as soon as possible to either increase chances of finding in-house translation work or broaden a potential freelance client base from the get-go.

Or, you could be old-school like me and wing it without translation software, but in this day in age...it's hard to recommend.
For a lot of translations Trados really is very useful, even without a good word database. I was the first one who used it for a project in my previous job and I can't imagine doing that work in excel, because of the numbers of repetitions. It just made the whole process hassle free. That said, some people really want to use it for everything, including stuff where Trados is just making things worse, because of how resource heavy it is when working with large files.

shounenka

For a lot of translations Trados really is very useful, even without a good word database. I was the first one who used it for a project in my previous job and I can't imagine doing that work in excel, because of the numbers of repetitions. It just made the whole process hassle free. That said, some people really want to use it for everything, including stuff where Trados is just making things worse, because of how resource heavy it is when working with large files.

Oh I am not doubting the usefulness of TRADOS; far from it. I'm sure it makes translations with a lot of repetitions effortless (but it also effectively neuters those translations as payable work).

I've been fortunate to get away without using it so far due to the largely non-repetitive nature of the stuff I mostly handle (corporate stuff for direct clients, but even they continue to look for ways to keep costs down with every passing year).

Going to Kumamoto for a day trip Wednesday or Thursday. Anyone been? Want to do some shopping and take pictures. I know the Castle is still partially shut down so not wanting to go there too bad.

Would like to keep it to around the station if possible. As for what I want to shop for... games, trinkets, ect. Frivolous things to spend money on lol.

If there are any pretty public gardens or parks I would love recommendations as well. Driving up and plan on parking and just walking around the station area unless there is something to do a bit out of the way. Friend is guest...cheffing? at someones restaurant so we all are going lol.

gillty

Banned
Pleasant enough city, the area surround the castle has the main shopping/entertainment arcade.

If you explore between the main JR station and the castle you can't go wrong. I was around last year just before the quakes and then this year just prior to New Year, but I think the castle is more interesting if anything now due to the eerie beauty that is found in the natural state of disrepair.

I recall a section along the road to the north side that has been left as-is (collapsed), not something you typically see. Perhaps my brief stint in urban planning is playing a role in my interest there.

Oynox

Would somebody willing to help me with a language related question? My mother gave my girlfriend and me those incredible cute mugs. We wanted to see what other porcelain works the artist does. The only problem though, there is no single Arabic letter on those cups. Only a Japanese slogan at the bottom. At least I think it is Japanese.

We tried to translate it on our own with Google Translator and those different charts but weren't very successful so if somebody would be willing to translate this, I would be grateful.

Edit: picture of them if anybody is interested
img_1306oyjpu.jpg

onikaden

Neo Member
Would somebody willing to help me with a language related question? My mother gave my girlfriend and me those incredible cute mugs. We wanted to see what other porcelain works the artist does. The only problem though, there is no single Arabic letter on those cups. Only a Japanese slogan at the bottom. At least I think it is Japanese.

If somebody would be willing to translate this, I would be grateful.

ことば kotoba = language, words
かくれんぼ kokurenbo = hide and seek ( like the game)

so maybe something like word hide and seek.

ahh the other pics make sense. The rabbit is 'u sa gi', but the 'sa' is not there, and the frog is 'ka e ru', the 'e' is missing.

Oynox

ことば kotoba = language, words
かくれんぼ kokurenbo = hide and seek ( like the game)

so maybe something like word hide and seek.

ahh the other pics make sense. The rabbit is 'u sa gi', but the 'sa' is not there, and the frog is 'ka e ru', the 'e' is missing.
The missing letters are at the other side of the cups you cannot see them on the picture. My girlfriend figured that out as well because she knew how rabbit was spelled :)

Thank you very much for your help! Apparently there is a Japanese children's book with the exact name but I do not think it is connected with the cups. However I also found the porcelain at rakuten.jp. It is baffling how they made their way all over to Germany into a cheap junk store. What a lucky pick!

Pleasant enough city, the area surround the castle has the main shopping/entertainment arcade.

If you explore between the main JR station and the castle you can't go wrong. I was around last year just before the quakes and then this year just prior to New Year, but I think the castle is more interesting if anything now due to the eerie beauty that is found in the natural state of disrepair.

I recall a section along the road to the north side that has been left as-is (collapsed), not something you typically see. Perhaps my brief stint in urban planning is playing a role in my interest there.

Thanks for the tips, was cool walking around the castle and shopping area next to it for an afternoon. Might go back alone in the next few weeks or something for a full day of just moseying around, nice place.

I guess Golden Week is coming soon... been debating if I want to roll through Korea or just go up north. Whichever one is cheaper from Kagoshimas I guess :p

MightyKAC

I guess Golden Week is coming soon... been debating if I want to roll through Korea or just go up north. Whichever one is cheaper from Kagoshimas I guess :p

Golden week... Uhhhhgggg I'd forgotten what Japan was like during that time. Guess I'd better get all my shit done before that comes around.

And for what it's worth I'd take Korea* over Northern Japan and day of the week if you've never been there.

* If your going to Seoul that is.

Golden week... Uhhhhgggg I'd forgotten what Japan was like during that time. Guess I'd better get all my shit done before that comes around.

And for what it's worth I'd take Korea* over Northern Japan and day of the week if you've never been there.

* If your going to Seoul that is.

Yeah never been and quite like Korean music and tv so kinda looking to go. I guess I could bite the bullet and get a what is expensive to me flight... or bus it to Fukuoka then ferry it, but thats a whole day of sitting on my ass in various transport to save a few man haha.

Will ask around town and see who knows the cheapest way over there.

Aizo

Banned
What do those of you living in big cities typically do for fun on a weekly or semi-weekly basis?
I personally go to a lot of concerts. Beyond that, I often go check out parts of the city I don't know too well with friends.

Porcile

If I don't organise something with friends, then I sometimes just use meetup.com to do totally random things. Met some interesting people through that.

Aizo

Banned
Going to Osaka for the weekend with a friend of mine. This will be like my fourth time there, so I've seen all the typical places people recommend. Anything those who live in the area think is really cool? Any legendary gamecenters that are unique? Cool neighborhoods for the music scene on par with Shimokitazawa? Something as interesting for drinking as the area outside Nakano Broadway or Golden Gai?

Anyone got experience selling to Bookoff/hardoff/biccamera?

Wanna off load some stuff we found in an apartment we just contracted since the owner left it behind. Old stereo, tv, and desk/table. Whats the process like/how quick and how good does my begging need to be to get them to get it out of my place lol.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

Wanna off load some stuff we found in an apartment we just contracted since the owner left it behind. Old stereo, tv, and desk/table. Whats the process like/how quick and how good does my begging need to be to get them to get it out of my place lol.
Never been to Hard Off and I don't think you can go to Bic Camera and straight up sell stuff. I sold my fridge to Yamada Denki, but that was a part of the process of buying a new one.

For games, I'd say that Traders and Geo are your best bet. For books/manga/cds/bds, Book Off (or Dorama for CD/BD), but you'll probably get 10-100 yen for most of them. Only things I ever sold for "decent" money there have been new-ish manga volumes.

For hardware, try random Recycle shops - you can call them beforehand to get an estimate, but there's a chance that they won't pay you. Still better than you paying for throwing away big trash.

From my experience the selling process can take up to an hour, depending on how crowded the store is. More for hardware, since they have to do some checks. For games it's usually 5 minutes tops.

I figure Bic did it since they have a used section, at least here they do... called Softmap or something.

But yeah one of the things is also a PS4 and like 2 games. Seems to work fine -shrug- but figure I can just pawn it since I got one already. Might ask my friend to go with me and do all the heavy talking.

Futaba

Pretty simple for hard off, you dunk the stuff and they hand you either a card or a token, either one has a number on, just walk around the shop till they announce your number over the PA, then the staff will show you a breakdown list of what you're selling and what they will give you for each item, if you accept them they'll hand you a slip of paper to fill in, just the usual stuff like address phone number etc, you may also be asked for ID too. Once filled in you'll get a receipt and the cold, hard, cash.

One benefit of selling to hard of is you get to use the parking pay closest to the store that's reserved for people selling things (if driving)

Expect to be given totally outrageous money for the items, like around 7500 for the PS4.

If you care enough about the money you make from it I'd just sell via yahoo auctions

Yeah other stuff I just wanna dump since it seems like no one will use it that I know. I might try to drop the PS4 on someone else though personally to get more $$$

Theodran

Going to Osaka for the weekend with a friend of mine. This will be like my fourth time there, so I've seen all the typical places people recommend. Anything those who live in the area think is really cool? Any legendary gamecenters that are unique? Cool neighborhoods for the music scene on par with Shimokitazawa? Something as interesting for drinking as the area outside Nakano Broadway or Golden Gai?

Have you ever gone drinking in Tenma or Fukushima? If not, I highly recommend it. Both are neighborhoods that have a high concentration of all sorts of restaurants and bars/izakaya. Food is in general high quality (as with most food in Osaka, IMO).

Fukushima has a decent Oden place that has a Michelin recommendation (not a star) called Hanakujira. If you're into Oden it's worth the visit, but you can expect about 30-50 min wait before getting in.

Has anyone here ever heard of "An English Club"?

Website: http://an.meidaisky.jp/recruit/employment-opportunities

I've been researching them but I can't find any info on them at all outside of their website. Hard to tell if they're legit or not. :-/

I worked for them about 10 years ago (my first job in Japan). At the time, the foreign manager was hitting up the boss' wife and now seems to have a kid with her. He also savaged his cousin who started working there before him including things like calling to complain at his wife. Said cousin used to put coins on his desk as a social experiment in the office and they would all disapear. His pen kept getting stolen so he used a string to tie to his desk. The string was cut. One of the managers/consultant at the time used to no hand drive us around (1 hand for the phone, one for the cigarette). A client school used to take me out to hostess clubs. I got hit on by several of the low wage assistants they hire. Think one of them called me once time while having sex in freebell. I met a guy who worked there a few years after me and it sounded worse:

The owner's wife was/is in charge of the English division and emasculates her new husband (the foreigner) during meetings that are apparently now daily, in Japanese and several hours before working hours thus wasting your whole day. She referred to foreign staff as toilet paper (consumable that needs to be replaced) and apparently most staff quit every year although I heard some guys I worked with back then went back. I think the main reason people quit is the "fair days" system where you owe the company Saturday demo lessons plus they accumulate if your classes get cancelled so it is "fair" to everyone else who had to work. I quit when they told me I'd have to contribute my business/franchising knowledge for the company without compensation on top of my regular duties.

Hope that helps.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I worked for them about 10 years ago (my first job in Japan). At the time, the foreign manager was hitting up the boss' wife and how seems to have a kid with her. He also savaged his cousin who started working there before him including things like calling to complain at his wife. Said cousin used to put coins on his desk as a social experiment in the office and they would all disapear. His pen kept getting stolen so he used a string to tie to his desk. The string was cut. One of the managers/consultant at the time used to no hand drive us around (1 hand for the phone, one for the cigarette). A client school used to take me out to hostess clubs. I got hit on by several of the low wage assistants they hire. Think one of them called me once time while having sex in freebell. I met a guy who worked there a few years after me and it sounded worse:

The owner's wife was/is in charge of the English division and emasculates her new husband (the foreigner) during meetings that are apparently now daily, in Japanese and several hours before working hours thus wasting your whole day. She referred to foreign staff as toilet paper (consumable that needs to be replaced) and apparently most staff quits every year although I heard some guys I worked with went back. I think the main reason people quit is the "fair days" system where you owe the company Saturday demo lessons plus they accumulate if your classes get cancelled so it is "fair" to everyone else who had to work. I quit when they told me I'd have to contribute my business/franchising knowledge for the company without compensation on top of my regular duties.

Hope that helps.

(o_o) Wow... um. I'm glad I didn't apply then. Thanks for the information, it's greatly appreciated!

Jijidasu

AE- a long time ago I was hired and sold on some great sounding stuff (ala those half days!) and in reality it was greatly different - ended up quitting very quickly.

Edited some stuff out for obvious reasons.

Every work place has drama but dayum you could literally make a drama out of that haha. One of the places I work now once a month had the last lady quit because she was sleeping with two of the male staffers... then she got angry when she found out one of them had a girlfriend, got engaged and married before and after they were hooking up. Got into an argument in the middle of the work day lol... I don't talk to anyone there though rofl and neither do the two guys, its way to awkward everyday.

And lol to the hostess club invites, I get invited to those and snack bars way to often. Even more funny since I happen to know a lot of the staff at those places. Just by happen stance! I met most of them outside their 'establishments' at other bars/events then its like... oh THATs where you work -nodnod-

Got any more stories about weird jobs, Doc? What kind of work are you doing now?

I do but I dont want to say too much so I can be identified. The place I mentionned is vindictive af.

Im actually looking for a new job right now. Finish next week and havent got a solid offer yet. Might end up in another weird place. Trying to get in elementary as a regular teacher (I have a license) or get experience with high school students so I can get more pay.

If you want to swap stories Im all for it in a less public space. Ive left Japan and came back so I need a social network.

Sakura

I'm starting school in April, and am required to get a laptop. I've been looking on Amazon and such, but the prices seem a bit high. Are there any decent places in Japan for getting cheap-er laptops?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm starting school in April, and am required to get a laptop. I've been looking on Amazon and such, but the prices seem a bit high. Are there any decent places in Japan for getting cheap-er laptops?
Like with everything else, kakaku.com is your best bet. That said, PC related things are way more expensive than in the USA.

Futaba

Junk section in hard off, you'll find a usable laptop for around $30-$50, in most cases they just need a hdd and a power supply, both of which you'll find in the store, you're looking around $100 total for a working system with half decent specs.

Even though they put it in "junk" theirs usually nothing wrong with them, just hdd removed and no AC (and sometimes ram removed)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Thanks... forgot about kakaku. Ended up finding this http://jp.ext.hp.com/notebooks/personal/pavilion_15_au100/ on there which seems like a decent deal I suppose. Now to see if I get approved for the monthly payment option...
I bought a Pavilion when I came here for the first time over 5 years ago and it served me well. Still usable despite no system reinstalls and having a ton of games and software installed on it. I'm glad that they changed the graphic card from AMD to Geforce, because the complete lack of drivers for my old one which had a weird Radeon (?) or something was the only complaint I had about it. Good choice!

Had my first experience with a quake centered in my area last weekend. Only 3.6 but dang had no idea the difference in power when its directly under you, and it was literally only like a second and a half long.

Felt like a bomb going off somewhere, just a sudden jolt, 2 slow rocking motions after and nothing thankfully lol.

urfe

I've seen them a lot too, but this is my first chance to see Bad Religion in a lonnnnng time.

I think I saw them at Punkspring once? I forget. I saw them a lot in Vancouver back in the day. Still listen to them fairly often. For some reason I'm not too interested in seeing them.

I would be interested in seeing Less than Jake. I only listen to them out of nostalgia these days, but I've only seen them live... twice? I think Punkspring would be a good crowd for them.

Thinking about it, I just may go!

Darksol

I think I saw them at Punkspring once? I forget. I saw them a lot in Vancouver back in the day. Still listen to them fairly often. For some reason I'm not too interested in seeing them.

I would be interested in seeing Less than Jake. I only listen to them out of nostalgia these days, but I've only seen them live... twice? I think Punkspring would be a good crowd for them.

Thinking about it, I just may go!

You should :)

xk0sm0sx

Yes! I just received my Engineer visa today, and wow they gave me 5 years.
I think I got lucky, recently Japan Government said they are looking to give 5 years but I never thought that applied so fast. (We submitted the application in February)

I have a Computer Science degree, so I looked for programming jobs in Japan using a website called Paiza. This website is fking amazing if you are looking for programming jobs, they go out of their way to help you out.

I don't have any JLPT certification, I self-studied Japanese and played MMOs in a Japanese guild, so it raised my conversation ability. They were skeptical when they saw I had no JLPT, but told me there's no problems after going through the whole interview in Japanese.

So I landed an offer after interviewing with 15 companies, and I'm finally at the last stage of finally being able to move to Japan.

Porcile

I should start getting my arse in gear and get out of teaching by the end of the year, but I dunno, I really kinda like my job at the moment. It's an enjoyable experience being part of the school. The pay is shitty and scammy but is enough for me to live comfortably and enjoy the things I like doing. And I have like zero stress in life with a bunch of free time. I was thinking of just going back to freelance on the side and keeping my ALT job.

Darksol

Yes! I just received my Engineer visa today, and wow they gave me 5 years.
I think I got lucky, recently Japan Government said they are looking to give 5 years but I never thought that applied so fast. (We submitted the application in February)

I have a Computer Science degree, so I looked for programming jobs in Japan using a website called Paiza. This website is fking amazing if you are looking for programming jobs, they go out of their way to help you out.

I don't have any JLPT certification, I self-studied Japanese and played MMOs in a Japanese guild, so it raised my conversation ability. They were skeptical when they saw I had no JLPT, but told me there's no problems after going through the whole interview in Japanese.

So I landed an offer after interviewing with 15 companies, and I'm finally at the last stage of finally being able to move to Japan.

Congrats!

Top Bottom