• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2017 Week 4 |OT| "We were in a nickel. But with injuries, we didn’t have a dime."

Ganhyun

It didn't read as the nigga looking for sympathy or waving away his drop in production during his later years with Green Bay, but it's weird as hell that some of y'all's reaction to it is "you're getting paid millions, why should I care about your struggles?"

His body doesn't stop doing what it's trying to do just because he's getting paid to fight it, especially when he's been battling injuries on top of that. And I'm sure being successful doesn't preclude him from being hurt when he catches an earful about how fat he is in all walks of life, no matter how hard he's working to get in shape and stay there.

But "ugh, he's just rich and lazy, quit crying and run the football", I guess.

Weird.

Just because someone has/makes a ton of money doesn't exempt them from having physical or mental issues just like everyone else.

The thing is, most people don't want to hear about someone who is much better off than they are or potentially ever will be complaining about it. Especially if its something they feel isn't worth feeling bad about. Now, if he had gotten seriously hurt (like, broken neck/back/etc), people would be much more forgiving of him I think.

Not sure if you're lumping me in here or not but I wasn't intending my posts to have that tone, I just take issue with the "I don't get why I'm criticized and he isn't" part of it. It's pretty obvious IMO why he gets more flack for his weight than Bettis did.

Nah, I get that portion.

I was annoyed with the general "fuck your internal struggles, you're rich" comments. That shit is weird as hell.

Just because someone has/makes a ton of money doesn't exempt them from having physical or mental issues just like everyone else.

The thing is, most people don't want to hear about someone who is much better off than they are or potentially ever will be complaining about it. Especially if its something they feel isn't worth feeling bad about. Now, if he had gotten seriously hurt (like, broken neck/back/etc), people would be much more forgiving of him I think.

He's not complaining about being well off. He's sharing how hard it is for him, personally, to keep his weight down. Waving away being able to empathize with someone because they're more successful than you are is idiotic logic.

But I'm imploring people to consider that money doesn't prevent a pretty good dude like Eddie from getting his feelings hurt in an American football thread, which is where I went wrong. I was the only one who read the piece and thought it was cool to hear about how someone successful still struggles with everyday self-esteem issues like I do. Know your audience, I suppose.

cdyhybrid

I do think his weight is fair game to discuss, but no doubt people go way overboard with it and be shitty about it. That's nothing unique to this situation though, unfortunately. There are a lot of people out there without a shred of empathy for others.

Ganhyun

Nah, I get that portion.

I was annoyed with the general "fuck your internal struggles, you're rich" comments. That shit is weird as hell.

He's not complaining about being well off. He's sharing how hard it is for him, personally, to keep his weight down. Waving away being able to empathize with someone because they're more successful than you are is idiotic logic.

But I'm imploring people to consider that money doesn't prevent a pretty good dude like Eddie from getting his feelings hurt in an American football thread, which is where I went wrong. I was the only one who read the piece and thought it was cool to hear about how someone successful still struggles with everyday self-esteem issues like I do. Know your audience, I suppose.

I think you misunderstood me? I am saying that normal everyday people who dont get million dollar salaries do not want to hear people who are getting those types of salaries complaining about the same types of issues they want to believe go away /disappear when you have money. Im not saying he is whining about having money.

I agree that it sucks for him, i'm just also trying to explain why I think a lot of people are not giving him empathy as you are.

I do think his weight is fair game to discuss, but no doubt people go way overboard with it and be shitty about it. That's nothing unique to this situation though, unfortunately. There are a lot of people out there without a shred of empathy for others.

Discussing it is cool. I mean, he IS an athlete. By all means, talk about it, especially in relation to how it effects his play on the field. Just don't think there's anything wrong with acknowledging how that could affects someone's psyche, especially the meaner-spirited versions of it you see online. You don't stop being a person just because you're a professional football player, you know?

I think you misunderstood me? I am saying that normal everyday people who dont get million dollar salaries do not want to hear people who are getting those types of salaries complaining about the same types of issues they want to believe go away /disappear when you have money. Im not saying he is whining about having money.

I agree that it sucks for him, i'm just also trying to explain why I think a lot of people are not giving him empathy as you are.

I understood you. I told you that that's stupid. If you can't empathize with someone just because you're envious of their success in life, you're not someone I wanna be around.

Ganhyun

I understood you. I told you that that's stupid. If you can't empathize with someone just because you're envious of their success in life, you're not someone I wanna be around.

Ok, I dont know what I did to offend you other than try to give a reason for why buck and a few others were reacting they way they did, but ok. I guess you need to go put buck and anyone else who didnt show the same level as empathy for him as you did on ignore or just leave CFBGAF for good since you don't want to be around those people.

Ok, I dont know what I did to offend you other than try to give a reason for why buck and a few others were reacting they way they did, but ok. I guess you need to go put buck and anyone else who didnt show the same level as empathy for him as you did on ignore or just leave CFBGAF for good since you don't want to be around those people.

Guy, I'm ok with you. Me disagreeing with you and picking apart what you said doesn't mean I'm offended by you lol.

That you read my replies and thought "this guy doesn't like me, why is he even here" is kinda the point, though. Eddie gets a ton of way more heated responses to him saying literally anything online, because he's a big guy who struggles to keep his weight down because that's just how he is built. Imagine how horrible that would be to the right (wrong?) person. At the very least, a thick-shelled individual would find it annoying.

But nah, you're ok with me. Sorry if it read like you aren't. I just vehemently disagree with the premise that it's ok to say "hey, he's richer than x, so x being unable to show any empathy is ok". We should aim to be better people, you know?

andycapps

Actually I read the article and thought that it must be crazy the amount of hate anyone in the public eye gets, much less being called fat all the time and likely having self esteem issues about it. Hell, I know that struggle too well. I have sympathy for his addiction to food, but at the same time, he has resources to deal with it that most of us will never have.

Mug, did you show this same level of sympathy to Jamarcus Russell? Or do you care more because Lacy went to Bama?

Actually I read the article and thought that it must be crazy the amount of hate anyone in the public eye gets, much less being called fat all the time and likely having self esteem issues about it. Hell, I know that struggle too well. I have sympathy for his addiction to food, but at the same time, he has resources to deal with it that most of us will never have.

Pretty much this, I can sympathize with people being on his shit 24/7 and constantly berating him, thats not very cool. But, at the end of the day his job is to be in shape and get paid handsomely for it. Dude needs to step off the "china food" for a few months a year.

Mug, did you show this same level of sympathy to Jamarcus Russell? Or do you care more because Lacy went to Bama?

I met Jamarcus once when I was a freshman in high school and he was just coming out for the draft. I teared the fuck up later over the fact that he gave me the time of day in a restaurant. I idolized the dude, being from Mobile and seeing him perform the way he did.

My empathy doesn't begin and end with "he's a former Alabama player/he's actually from Alabama", though. It's weird to assume so. Had the article been posted by you about some former Georgia player, my reaction would be the same (though I only found it because an Alabama news feed posted it for me, of course).

And if anything, him having his resources makes me feel for him more. Just goes to show, no matter how hard he works and how much help he has, something as simple as an ankle injury sends his weight shooting up again because that's just how he's built. That'd be discouraging for anyone to deal with.

I met Jamarcus once when I was a freshman in high school and he was just coming out for the draft. I teared the fuck up later over the fact that he gave me the time of day in a restaurant. I idolized the dude, being from Mobile and seeing him perform the way he did.

My empathy doesn't begin and end with "he's a former Alabama player/he's actually from Alabama", though. It's weird to assume so. Had the article been posted by you about some former Georgia player, my reaction would be the same (though I only found it because an Alabama news feed posted it for me, of course).

And if anything, him having his resources makes me feel for him more. Just goes to show, no matter how hard he works and how much help he has, something as simple as an ankle injury sends his weight shooting up again because that's just how he's built. That'd be discouraging for anyone to deal with.

You cant out exercise a bad diet.

andycapps

It's not really how he's built, if you mean that he's eating great and balloons in weight because of an injury that prevents him from working out. It's, he eats bad food regardless but when he can't work it off, he packs on the weight.

You cant out exercise a bad diet.

It's not really how he's built, if you mean that he's eating great and balloons in weight because of an injury that prevents him from working out. It's, he eats bad food regardless but when he can't work it off, he packs on the weight.

I don't think either of you realizes how old the "china food time!" tweets are. The nigga diets.

Why does MugiwaraCole hate me :(

Can that pls be my tag?

andycapps

We talk about last week's games and this week's slate. It's not great, but there are a few good ones and some interesting matchups along the way. Subscribe here in iTunes or search for The Decided Schematic Advantage in your podcast app of choice. Send questions and comments to podcast@the-cog.com.

andycapps

Hey Andy, long time listener, first time caller. If the USA was forming an Olympic bobsled team with only former UGA Bulldogs, who'd be on the team?

I'll hang up and listen.
You missed it.

But my answers are Herschel Walker because he was already on one, Pollack before he lost around 100 pounds, Bill Goldberg, and Geno Sacks.

cdyhybrid

WoShGzI.png

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely is. Leach is great. He retweeted someone last night saying Texas Tech still owes him money. lol

He came on local radio a little while back to talk about Stoops retiring and he mostly just crapped on Tech then as well. He's been doing that a lot more lately. I assume he has a new book coming out or something like that.

Denali

Hearing Clemson's kicker suffered a torn ACL during practice last night when a defender fell on him. Not confirmed yet but...

Top Bottom