• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE has dealt with racism before, but fans are chanting ‘that’s too far'

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
BoA6dOL.gif

FStubbs

I remember this. This was during the week of the London attacks I believe. Wasn't Hassan suppose to be their next big thing? I still remember the heat he got whenever he came out.

I thought they tried to salvage it by Hassan coming out and saying "you're racist if you thought this was a terrorist thing, one of those guys was Val Venis even".

Shauni

At least here the hero came out on top.

Yeah, I was going to say, whether intentional or not, the heel was being a racist shit and then lost to the face. It doesn't make it okay to do, but at least there's vindication. With the Booker T situation there was none. Booker lost the match and the feud and never had a chance to right that wrong. It was all around terrible

Mahonay

Banned
C'mon guys....Don't be a bunch of marks. This is the reaction Vince wants. Expect Jinder to double down next week after this firestorm.
I hadn't watched in a couple of weeks, was going to catch up on RAW and Smackdown, heard about the extremely racist promo from Jinder, I then immediately decided I wasn't going to watch at all.

Vince totally got me!

Like several other things in the WWF throughout the years, this was also a petty rib/joke against "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes. Dusty became famous by cutting promos that some people criticized as him talking or acting "black".

At the time, Dusty was booking for a rival company. Thus, the WWF created Akeem "The African Dream," a big white guy who danced and talked like a Dusty parody and was very clearly a white guy pretending to be African, even within kayfabe.

Still pretty damn racist, but there's really dumb layers to this shit.

Whenever WWE wants to defend their idiotic booking they always shout "It's not for you, it's a kids show"

yep, kids sure love racism. I mean shit look at all the cartoon network shows (not adult swim), nickelodeon show, Disney shows, they all have their stars making racist remarks.........oh they don't?...........hmmm.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Pro wrestling is finally coming to an end, huh? I give them about one more decade tops with some huge cuts coming in 5 or so years.

Median age jumped from 28 in 2000 to 54 in 2016 too, so whoever is left aren't exactly new viewers.

Speaking of viewership data, WWE viewers seem to be relatively diverse and left wing, which has always been a little weird considering some of the content, like this.

I guess like most things in the WWE, the problem is Vince, and his lack of connection to his modern day audience.

Like several other things in the WWF throughout the years, this was also a petty rib/joke against "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes. Dusty became famous by cutting promos that some people criticized as him talking or acting "black".

At the time, Dusty was booking for a rival company. Thus, the WWF created Akeem "The African Dream," a big white guy who danced and talked like a Dusty parody and was very clearly a white guy pretending to be African, even within kayfabe.

Still pretty damn racist, but there's really dumb layers to this shit.

Bad News Brown on Dusty Rhodes Being Racist

Oh ya, Bad News Brown reminded me of this:

wlxLNTF.jpg

Wake me when Vince dies because the company will never change significantly for the better until that happens. There will be some nice moments here and there but it'll never be overwhelmingly good until Vince goes.

I'll watch the Rumble and 'Mania every year until they cease to exist but they've beaten the rest of my fandom out of me.

Zee-Row

Banned
Shit was a LOT different back then beyond just the bad racial politics. Talent had a lot more creative control over their promos and segments compared to the modern era. If Trips wasn't comfortable with the black-face he could have easily said no to it and did the segment without it.

What about Owen Hart with the Blue Blazer gimmick? He didn’t want to do it and especially the being lowered from the ceiling part since he didn’t like heights.

WWE has always been a live action cartoon, can say triple H is bad forever for slightly browing his face, but next week Rock was dancing with a small person/midget pretending to be Xpac

Acorn

What about Owen Hart with the Blue Blazer gimmick? He didn’t want to do it and especially the being lowered from the ceiling part since he didn’t like heights.
They had been fucking with him ever since bret left iirc.

Don't know if the original post is true or not but austin bitches about scripts in modern day wwe alot on his podcast.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Well, we haven't seen the 'payoff' yet. But I'm not optimistic, based on WWE's track record.

Nakamura beating Mahal.

I mean I know there's the Booker T - HHH precedent, but Nak beat Cena/Orton clean. Dude is their next top guy. .

As for this... man, did Raw get the better writers this year?

They were in a group that literally stemmed from them being degenerates. It's not like they were heroic characters.

The same Gaf members yelling at the clouds likely cheered DX impersonating The Nation FYI.

I finally read the whole WP article. I missed out on the Mexicools and their lawnmowers.

This quote struck me:

“It’s an embarrassing thing [for WWE],” Meltzer added, noting the segment, which he called “really bad TV” made him feel more sympathetic for Mahal for having to deliver the uninspiring lines. “Nobody wants to be called racist.”

Ya, I get that it's all scripted, but interesting that this is the thing Meltzer decided to stress. Not how demeaning it is for the victim to be taunted even when it's an act, not how Asian fans in the audience might feel, not whether kids might copy the racial taunting in real life. Worst thing about racism is being called a racist.

kiguel182

I mean, he is a bad guy saying bad guy things. The fact that the character is a racist isn’t racist in and out of itself.

The worst part is when they made people hate Jinder because he was Indian. Now that was disgusting and tone deaf. Having the Indian national anthem being booed was one of the most embarrassing things I’ve seen and made me stop watching the product.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I mean, he is a bad guy saying bad guy things. The fact that the character is a racist isn’t racist in and out of itself.

The worst part is when they made people hate Jinder because he was Indian. Now that was disgusting and tone deaf. Having the Indian national anthem being booed was one of the most embarrassing things I’ve seen and made me stop watching the product.

But you stayed when it was done to Rusev because...

The problem is using racism for cheap heat in 2017. You can't just write that off as "bad guy stuff" anymore, without addressing it and having it be a part of the face getting over the heel, instead of being lazy shock value.

Madame M

Banned
WWE needs to get with the times it's 2017, people are very choosy when it comes to racist jokes these days and as a society we are better for it.

Pikma

Banned
I finally read the whole WP article. I missed out on the Mexicools and their lawnmowers.

This quote struck me:

Ya, I get that it's all scripted, but interesting that this is the thing Meltzer decided to stress. Not how demeaning it is for the victim to be taunted even when it's an act, not how Asian fans in the audience might feel, not whether kids might copy the racial taunting in real life. Worst thing about racism is being called a racist.
Yeah, his priorities seem to be pretty fucked up

PgMaesQ.jpg

Then they wonder why attendance was so low...??

This is for Smackdown! live right? Haven't been following wrestling for a while but do they not do the sweep of the crowd shots anymore when the show starts? Shit must look embarrassing despite them probably trying to hide the crowd size. There's no way they can make that look good.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The problem is using racism for cheap heat in 2017. You can't just write that off as "bad guy stuff" anymore, without addressing it and having it be a part of the face getting over the heel, instead of being lazy shock value.

Now that I think about it, has any of these racist heel angles ended in the racist getting their comeuppance at the end of the feud? I certainly remember Booker getting destroyed by HHH throughout the entirety of that feud.

As much as I want Nakamura to win the championship, it doesn't seem very likely.

KillLaCam

Banned
I mean its not really gonna change until Vince is gone sadly. But its good that the fans are FINALLY fed up with that.

Hopefully the America vs Everyone thing goes away too. The only time I even liked that was when Kurt Angle was still a big wrestler. But that was more of me just liking Kurt.

tumblr_oko5m34jEf1s8dwjeo1_400.gif

Top Bottom