• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China Central Bank orders Banks to stop doing business with North Korea

dolabla

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-with-north-korea-sources-idUSKCN1BW1DL?il=0

BEIJING/HONG KONG (Reuters) - China’s central bank has told banks to strictly implement United Nations sanctions against North Korea, four sources told Reuters, amid U.S. concerns that Beijing has not been tough enough over Pyongyang’s repeated nuclear tests.

Tensions between the United States and North Korea have ratcheted up after the sixth and most powerful nuclear test conducted by Pyongyang on Sept. 3 prompted the United Nations Security Council to impose further sanctions last week.

Chinese banks have come under scrutiny for their role as a conduit for funds flowing to and from China’s increasingly isolated neighbor.

The sources said banks were told to stop providing financial services to new North Korean customers and to wind down loans with existing customers, following tighter sanctions against Pyongyang by the United Nations.

The sources said lenders were asked to fully implement United Nations sanctions against North Korea and were warned of the economic losses and reputational risks if they did not do so.

pxleyes

Banned
To: China

uu9pmDP.gif

kirblar

China were always the ones who were going to have to deal w/ NK because it's their obnoxious puppet buffer state.

Syriel

Wow. Is Xi actually taking the NK threat seriously?

Xi doesn't give a shit about NK having nukes.
Xi doesn't give a shit about NK dickwaving with Trump.

Xi DOES care about NK giving Japan (specifically Abe's party) a solid reason to rewrite their Constitution and allow for a full military.

Japan with a full military (not a limited defensive military) would be a challenge to Chinese regional rule.

NK is setting the region on the path to making that happen.

Xi DOES care about NK giving Japan (specifically Abe's party) a solid reason to rewrite their Constitution and allow for a full military.

Japan with a full military (not a limited defensive military) would be a challenge to Chinese regional rule.

I think this is accurate, though I doubt China wants NK to have nukes.

A cornered Jong Un will launch missiles to hit a country if he has nothing to lose. These sanctions could end up really badly for SK or Japan's population.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Them having nukes is basically what is starting everything though

this does absolutely nothing to stop their missile and nuclear program

what this does show, IMO is china's real fear that Trump will start a war and chinese attempts to try to ratched down tensions.

my strong strong suspicion is NK will test a few more missiles to get their deterrence up and then strongly advocate for talks and unilaterally freeze. (I also strongly fear and suspect strong chinese-ROK ties building as a counterbalance to Japanese-US pro military action positions)

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member

And not happy about SK missile defence as well. Makes it harder to moan about his neighbours tooling up, when there are legitimate reasons to do so.

However, there are also other factors at play. SK and Jap are one of many reasons, and not necessarily key calculations here.

CazTGG

My God, did this administration actually do something right?

This administration couldn't put together a half-decent subway sandwich. China is trying to fix their mistake of escalating tensions since a war/regime collapse will cause them (China) the brunt of the consequences either outcome would result in i.e. a humanitarian crisis that dwarfs Syria and a potential power vacuum.

yup NK is actively impeding chinese ability to assert power in North East Asia

A cornered Jong Un will launch missiles to hit a country if he has nothing to lose. These sanctions could end up really badly for SK or Japan's population.

NK isn't going to launch missiles over sanctions

4Tran

There are a lot of factors at play, but the biggest one is that North Korea's actions (and Kim Jong-un's in particular) have been ticking off China. And this is largely independent of what they're doing to rile up Japan and the US, as the most egregious act to date was the assassination of Kim Jong-un's brother.

sibarraz

Banned

Is a japanese military force really a big threat for China? I guess that after all this years they are still way behind their full potential, and even then, I dont know if a country with way density and labd could be a threat to one of the most powerful countries in the world

I seriously doubt that China has been happy about what's been going on with NK. If a war breaks out with the US, China will suffer from great loses and even maybe nuclear fallout. Another big thing is off course a refugee crisis that make the Syrian war look like child's play. China is the only country that has the influence and power to stop NK without the whole region turning into shit.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
NK isn't going to launch missiles over sanctions

If you subscribe to the theory that Trump would provoke a war in order to deflect from the Mueller investigation, then it is plausible that Rocket Man might provoke a war to avoid the risk of a coup, if that was a possible outcome of tightening sanctions and economic paucity.

Just food for thought, but you have to consider every angle.

gconsole

I agree. I have a feeling that Japanese government don't do anything at all is part of the plan. They are pushing their people ( especially the one who oppose militarize japan ) patience with all this NK nuke treat. China must have foreseen that.

slit

It's not surprising. First of all that thermonuclear test was as much a slap in the face to China as it was to the U.S. It shows China has no control over Pyongyang even though they are the sole power keeping the country from completely collapsing.

gconsole

Is a japanese military force really a big threat for China? I guess that after all this years they are still way behind their full potential, and even then, I dont know if a country with way density and labd could be a threat to one of the most powerful countries in the world

They don't need full militarize japan. Just legalize nuke creation is more than enough to threaten China as region super power. They have technology and ability to build that within the short time if need be + support from US. Why would China want a more powerful Japan?

brian577

Banned
Is this anything different from the sanctions that were implemented 2 weeks ago? Sounds like are just implementing the agreed to measures.

Top Bottom