• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is 100 percent accurate. When Empire started, Lucas had condensed his original 12 film plan down to a 9 film plan. The original trilogy would conclude Luke's arc by killing his father Vader, leaving the Emperor still alive. Then he would do a prequel trilogy in the 80s, which would focus on the fall of democracy. Then the sequel trilogy would focus on this other, a female Jedi from a far part of the Galaxy. It would also focus on the challenges of the rise of democracy. Her and Luke would team up at the end of 9 sometime in the late 90s to defeat the Emperor.

Lucas scrapped the 9 film plan after Empire went over budget and got out of his control. He also had financial difficulties with the divorce from his wife. Lucas was making these Star Wars movies to fund his dream Lucasfilm commune of rogue filmmakers. This seemed impossible after Empire, so he jammed everything in to one sequel and was calling it a day.

The real tradegy about all that is that Lucas effectively​ denied the audience from seeing Hamill/Fischer/Ford again in their primes, which is a real shame. Their chemistry together was dynamite. But such is life

That female Jedi even had a name already: Nellith Skywalker.

ywESB.jpg

Surfinn

That's how I felt watching through the despecialized editions recently. Though the lightsaber duel still looks better than a lot of the prequels stuff. There are some things that don't look great in HD -- Vader's helmet has, like, smudges on it in some scenes. There are some muppet-y looking aliens in the cantina but other than the musicians I don't think any of them are that jarring.

That's the thing.. I never understood the complaints about the duel. "it's too boring, no force powers, blah blah". Sure, it could be spruced up a little here and there, but it's largely great the way it is.

The entire point of that scene was for them to confront each other for the last time. Their duel was more of a war of words and wisdom.. they weren't trying to kill each other with every swing. The actual sword fight was more of a formality than anything else. It was all about the significance of their confrontation.. what it meant for the story and for the characters. They both recognized that it was the last time they'd be in each other's presence and Ben literally lets Vader kill him.

I think it's easy to become conditioned to expecting high intensity, choreographed saber battles, especially after you watch the PT. But those fights are much more about style over substance and I don't think there's much of a lasting appeal there, especially as the films have aged.

I personally think the cantina looks far better than Maz's castle. It's more lively and breathing.

molnizzle

"Dated" as an inherent criticism doesn't carry much weight.

"Oh, this movie was made in 1977" isn't a flaw.

I don't think anyone's saying it's a flaw though. That the films look dated isn't a slight against them. Star Wars released in 1977, there's really no way it couldn't look dated.

DeanBDean

The OT absolutely looks dated. I'm not even sure how it's debatable. They're clearly older movies.

Having seen the despecialized editions, I think they look fantastic.

As a big Star Trek: The Original Series fan, the fight scene with Vader and Obi Wan in Star Wars doesn't really bother me, but my bar for suspension of disbelief may be different than others.

That female Jedi even had a name already: Nellith Skywalker.

ywESB.jpg

Very cool. I do hope if the series had happened they would have come up with a better name though.

Like Rey.

Surfinn

Having seen the despecialized editions, I think they look fantastic.

As a big Star Trek: The Original Series fan, the fight scene with Vader and Obi Wan in Star Wars doesn't really bother me, but my bar for suspension of disbelief may be different than others.

Some of the effects look "worn in" (not necessarily in a bad way), but the despecialized editions look phenomenal

Whoever asked Kathy Kennedy that stuff doesn't know how to phrase questions very well. I mean, they didn't even mention the original theatrical cuts.
Steele: I mean the vision of George’s final cut that he left us with? Like whether that might be altered over time?

Kennedy: I haven’t touched those. Are you kidding? (Laughs) Those will always remain his.
It sounds like asking if there will be further alterations to the original films.
I believe he said "as much as on any other film," not "more."

Considering the creative freedom afforded him to make films as different (and as good) as Brick, Brothers Bloom, and Looper, that he has the same creative freedom on The Last Jedi should be enough to quiet the "Disney Disney Disney Disney Disney" bullshit, though.
It should be.

Unfortunately, it's not.

JimiNutz

Banned

However, I would love it if after Episode IX Filoni and co. got the greenlight to remake all the saga films as cartoons.

Remaking them as cartoons would also be interpreted to see. If they were cartoons then I imagine they would alter the films somewhat though by adding or changing scenes rather than doing a scene for scene and line for line translation.

Jumeira

Banned
They look dated?? Is that something people really feel? The OT doesn't feel dated to me at all, as a matter of fact CGI tends to date VERY fast, all of the CGI in the prequels alone (and even other movies from just 5+ years back, looks dated already). With the OT the practical effects also really help the used universe look of Star Wars, any kind of remake should and will never happen.

I am totally flabbergasted by suchlike​ an opinion.

I find it a hard watch. As did many people i introduce to SW, infact its one of their least favourite films in the saga based on my experience when sitting through these films. IE the trash compactor, they laughed as how bad the acting and props were, old man Kenobi battle, they were making fun of his arthritis, Storm troopers bumbling around. They watched because they had to but i could see them switching off looking at thier phones.

molnizzle

I find it a hard watch. As did many people i introduce to SW, infact its one of their least favourite films in the saga based on my experience when sitting through these films. IE the trash compactor, they laughed as how bad the acting and props were, old man Kenobi battle, they were making fun of his arthritis, Storm troopers bumbling around. They watched because they had to but i could see them switching off looking at thier phones.

This was my experience watching the Star Wars films with my wife for the first time too. She hated the OT for those same reasons (and also Mark Hammil's acting). Her favorite episode was Attack of the Clones.

I considered filing for divorce tbh.

Kyoufu

This was my experience watching the Star Wars films with my wife for the first time too. She hated the OT for those same reasons (and also Mark Hammil's acting). Her favorite episode was Attack of the Clones.

I hope you did.

JB1981

Oh boy

Oozer3993

I lost my mind and wrote more about The Last Jedi, this time letting my mind go wild. I promise I'm not on shrooms. Included: a crazy theory about the Skywalker lightsaber, rambling about the Force, and my guaranteed, stone-cold lock of the century prediction about who Snoke is.

This is 100 percent accurate. When Empire started, Lucas had condensed his original 12 film plan down to a 9 film plan. The original trilogy would conclude Luke's arc by killing his father Vader, leaving the Emperor still alive. Then he would do a prequel trilogy in the 80s, which would focus on the fall of democracy. Then the sequel trilogy would focus on this other, a female Jedi from a far part of the Galaxy. It would also focus on the challenges of the rise of democracy. Her and Luke would team up at the end of 9 sometime in the late 90s to defeat the Emperor.

Lucas scrapped the 9 film plan after Empire went over budget and got out of his control. He also had financial difficulties with the divorce from his wife. Lucas was making these Star Wars movies to fund his dream Lucasfilm commune of rogue filmmakers. This seemed impossible after Empire, so he jammed everything in to one sequel and was calling it a day.

The real tradegy about all that is that Lucas effectively denied the audience from seeing Hamill/Fischer/Ford again in their primes, which is a real shame. Their chemistry together was dynamite. But such is life

An interesting note: this is the first 9 film plan. After the difficulties with Empire, it seems George retooled the sequel trilogy into a "20 years later" type of deal. That's where the stuff about an older Luke teaching the next generation came from.

Very cool. I do hope if the series had happened they would have come up with a better name though.

Like Rey.

I think the name "Nellith" came from Leigh Bracket and not Lucas. I'm not sure Lucas ever gave the "other" a name.

Jezan

I think the draw of AotC is the fight at the colosseum up to the first time seeing Yoda fight, the first part of the movie is boring, but the fights are cool. That's the only reason I like it.

ANH is too goofy, the sets feel too small, specially aboard the Destroyer. But it's not a bad movie.

Very similar situation, although I think she like TPM the best. I think it was because of Liam.

I almost lost her during the OT, she looked bored out of her mind. Not surprising that she loved TFA, and fell asleep during Rogue One.

bengraven

If I was single I'd say send her my way. Clones was my favorite of the three. Plus, if liking a movie that you think sucks was a bad thing I'd be filing divorce from my Domino loving wife, but that's just insanity and bullshit online machismo speaking.

sphagnum

Banned

This is somewhat similar to my experience with my fiance. She saw about half of Episode IV when she was younger but that was it. When we watched through the saga
in chronological order
she enjoyed the PT well enough because she thought its plot was interesting, but she thought the OT was slow, boring, corny, and outdated. She doesn't like the OT characters at all - she thinks Luke is boring, Leia is a bitch (her words!), and Han is too arrogant. She didn't feel any particular draw to the PT characters but she liked Sheev and Ewan's Obi-Wan and she thought the story of Anakin's fall was more interesting than Luke's rise. She also hated TFA because it feels more like the OT than the PT.

The only one she really ever got into was Rogue One, because she said she felt like the characters were all well done and she enjoyed the focus on the war rather than Jedi, who she thinks are terrible. She likes Sith.

Kyoufu

This is somewhat similar to my experience with my fiance. She saw about half of Episode IV when she was younger but that was it. When we watched through the saga
in chronological order
she enjoyed the PT well enough because she thought its plot was interesting, but she thought the OT was slow, boring, corny, and outdated. She doesn't like the OT characters at all - she thinks Luke is boring, Leia is a bitch (her words!), and Han is too arrogant. She didn't feel any particular draw to the PT characters but she liked Sheev and Ewan's Obi-Wan and she thought the story of Anakin's fall was more interesting than Luke's rise. She also hated TFA because it feels more like the OT than the PT.

The only one she really ever got into was Rogue One, because she said she felt like the characters were all well done and she enjoyed the focus on the war rather than Jedi, who she thinks are terrible. She likes Sith.

This post is a lot like Vader's story in the OT. Starts off terrible but finds redemption in the end. :p

She didn't feel any particular draw to the PT characters but she liked Sheev and Ewan's Obi-Wan and she thought the story of Anakin's fall was more interesting than Luke's rise. She also hated TFA because it feels more like the OT than the PT.

Nothing about this makes any goddamned sense LOL

Veelk

Banned
in chronological order

I suggest you call off the wedding.

Here's a story about my wife and Star Wars.

When she was growing up her dad was a fucking weirdo and forbade her from watching Star Wars for weird religious reasons (also I think he was a Star Trek fan, I don't know. He was, and is, a real piece of work). Eventually she escaped her weird family and her weird dad and moved to Portland, a city whose dating scene isn't particularly known for being a bountiful treasure of winning options for single women.

Through her run through that pale and beardy rainforest, she met a few men who, upon hearing she'd never watched the Star Wars films beyond seeing glimpses of them here and there on broadcast TV, immediately responded in the same two ways:

1) indignation that such an existence was even possible (this sometimes came edged with hints of shaming for not having seen them)

2) immediate scheduling of these cultural landmarks to be properly introduced so that the revering may begin.

The multiple weird attempts at forced cultural indoctrination did not, as you might imagine, endear her to either the men ostensibly "educating" her, or to the films themselves, which were now not just cultural artifacts she had been denied, but weird bludgeons being used as a means for these men to mark her somehow.

Her first viewing of Star Wars came with some thirsty dipshit seated next to her on the couch, watching her more than he was watching the movie, and repeatedly nudging her like "Pay attention, this part is important" every 15-20 minutes.

Her first viewing of Empire (with a different guy) was not too much different. I believe that guy tried to move on her right around "I Love you, I know" and she ended up pouring her drink on him and bailing.

At some point she watched Jedi with one of her little sisters (kinda sorta, she was doing other shit while the movie was on), so all she really remembered were that there were Ewoks in it.

I believe one of the small points in my favor when we met was that even though she knew I was a Star Wars fan, I never reacted to her story with "OH SHIT WE GOTTA FIX THAT" and I certainly was not about to set up some sort of Star Wars-specific date so that she could be educated in the ways of the Wars or whatever. Because it's not like the movies are hard to find or whatever, and if she ever wanted to give them a shot on her own, it's pretty easy to do.

Eventually she did give them a shot. She saw Empire with me when we screened it in 35mm for a radio station event (the screening went over pretty well! We had stormtroopers & Boba Fetts & Vaders and everything.) She stopped fucking with the Prequels after Phantom Menace. Still hasn't seen II or III in full, although what she's seen of II fucking boggled her mind with its ineptitude. It's pretty interesting hearing her thoughts on the films specifically because there's no real cultural baggage involved. She simply judges them as fantasy films.

So anyway, her rankings:

Rogue One
The Empire Strikes Back
The Force Awakens
Return of the Jedi
Star Wars
The Phantom Menace

Here's a story about my wife and Star Wars.

When she was growing up her dad was a fucking weirdo and forbade her from watching Star Wars for weird religious reasons (also I think he was a Star Trek fan, I don't know. He was, and is, a real piece of work). Eventually she escaped her weird family and her weird dad and moved to Portland, a city whose dating scene isn't particularly known for being a bountiful treasure of winning options for single women.

Through her run through that pale and beardy rainforest, she met a few men who, upon hearing she'd never watched the Star Wars films beyond seeing glimpses of them here and there on broadcast TV, immediately responded in the same two ways:

1) indignation that such an existence was even possible (this sometimes came edged with hints of shaming for not having seen them)

2) immediate scheduling of these cultural landmarks to be properly introduced so that the revering may begin.

The multiple weird attempts at forced cultural indoctrination did not, as you might imagine, endear her to either the men ostensibly "educating" her, or to the films themselves, which were now not just cultural artifacts she had been denied, but weird bludgeons being used as a means for these men to mark her somehow.

Her first viewing of Star Wars came with some thirsty dipshit seated next to her on the couch, watching her more than he was watching the movie, and repeatedly nudging her like "Pay attention, this part is important" every 15-20 minutes.

Her first viewing of Empire (with a different guy) was not too much different. I believe that guy tried to move on her right around "I Love you, I know" and she ended up pouring her drink on him and bailing.

At some point she watched Jedi with one of her little sisters (kinda sorta, she was doing other shit while the movie was on), so all she really remembered were that there were Ewoks in it.

I believe one of the small points in my favor when we met was that even though she knew I was a Star Wars fan, I never reacted to her story with "OH SHIT WE GOTTA FIX THAT" and I certainly was not about to set up some sort of Star Wars-specific date so that she could be educated in the ways of the Wars or whatever. Because it's not like the movies are hard to find or whatever, and if she ever wanted to give them a shot on her own, it's pretty easy to do.

Eventually she did give them a shot. She saw Empire with me when we screened it in 35mm for a radio station event (the screening went over pretty well! We had stormtroopers & Boba Fetts & Vaders and everything.) She stopped fucking with the Prequels after Phantom Menace. Still hasn't seen II or III in full, although what she's seen of II fucking boggled her mind with its ineptitude. It's pretty interesting hearing her thoughts on the films specifically because there's no real cultural baggage involved. She simply judges them as fantasy films.

So anyway, her rankings:

Rogue One
The Empire Strikes Back
The Force Awakens
Return of the Jedi
Star Wars
The Phantom Menace

I hate it when someone admits to not having seen something (Star Wars, Back to the Future, Alien etc.) and people get fucking indignant. I'm always really jealous, I would love to see the Indy trilogy for the first time.

Surfinn

In all seriousness though my GF at the time (we're good friends now) had never seen SW. I asked her if she'd like to and she did. All I told her was that I love the OT and that I was curious to see how she liked them. She ended up loving them all but enjoyed ROTJ the most.

Asked if she wanted to watch the PT, she said YES with a big smile on her face. She asked me if I like them.. All I said was "I don't like them as much as the OT" because I didn't wanna fuck with her opinion and was curious to see what she thought, with no bias, no real influence.

We paused TPM because she was confused about what was happening in the story as the crawl rolled out. She asked me to help her understand what was going on. I started to explain it then realized that I actually didn't really know myself.

We watched them all but I had to convince her to continue after EP1. She hated the ever living shit out of all three. But we both laughed hysterically at the ham that is ROTS

Veelk

Banned
Here's a story about my wife and Star Wars....

I don't know if this was in even partial response to what I posted, but I hope it was obvious I was just joking. Whenever my friends say they didn't see whatever, I act indignant like a priest being told they never heard of the gospel, but it's just joke that they're in on.

When people SERIOUSLY act like their nerdom is something they have to push onto others, it gets...well, it's patronizing as fuck at best to act like your saving someone's soul by showing them a fucking movie.

I remember one guy who I was friends with (Well, I say friends but...) and he used his his anime love as a fucking power play on the dating scene. He said he wouldn't date a girl who was into anime, even though he liked them, because that's not what girls are supposed to be into. However, if he found a girl who didn't know about anime, he'd be okay with her being into it if he was the one who introduced her to it, since then he would have 'made' her in a some small way.

He didn't go on a lot of dates.

The only Star Wars film my girlfriend had really seen at the time we started dating was Phantom Menace, which she absolutely hated and refuses to call by name. She calls it "the one with the kid", lol. I asked if she wanted to watch through them all (we actually both had several movies to show to the other early on, though I'm pretty sure I had more - she actually had me watch a lot of anime) and we wound up watching the other 5, though I don't remember which order. We *might* have done prequels first to get the worst out of the way? lol.

She ended up really liking the originals and hating the prequels, and she's always excited for the next new film to come out. When we saw TFA at opening she adored it, and the day I got the BluRay she insisted we watch it again, lol. She liked Rogue One too, but definitely not as much.

Best part about watching the movies with her - when Ackbar yelled "It's a trap!" and she turned to me and said "THAT's it? THAT's what everyone won't stop quoting?" lol

Surfinn

The only Star Wars film my girlfriend had really seen at the time we started dating was Phantom Menace, which she absolutely hated and refuses to call by name. She calls it "the one with the kid", lol. I asked if she wanted to watch through them all (we actually both had several movies to show to the other early on, though I'm pretty sure I had more - she actually had me watch a lot of anime) and we wound up watching the other 5, though I don't remember which order. We *might* have done prequels first to get the worst out of the way? lol.

She ended up really liking the originals and hating the prequels, and she's always excited for the next new film to come out. When we saw TFA at opening she adored it, and the day I got the BluRay she insisted we watch it again, lol. She liked Rogue One too, but definitely not as much.

Best part about watching the movies with her - when Ackbar yelled "It's a trap!" and she turned to me and said "THAT's it? THAT's what everyone won't stop quoting?" lol
This is fucking eerily similar to my experience. My friend commented on both of those things.. "the one with the kid" and "it's a trap" lol good times

Surfinn

So I just watched TFA then watched TLJ trailer.. Goddamn SW is in an exciting place. The characters are such an overwhelming success

LowParry

Oh oh I have a story about my wife and Star Wars.

"Hey, you want to watch Star Wars?"

"Fuck Star Wars"

But I still drag her to the movies :D

Emarv

Oooh, SO stories!

My wife hadn't seen any of them before me but knew a decent amount through cultural osmosis. She kept asking like "when does Vader say the line" during ANH. She was decently bored through the OT but was really sweet about it. Her favorite was ROTJ for a lot of different reasons, but I also love ROTJ so that made me happy.

She loved loved loved TFA and is all in on Rey and the new trilogy. Rogue One was too dour and too much of a war/action movie for her. Characters are what does it for her, and I'm totally fine with that. She loved the new characters. Won't force her to watch the prequels, but I'm due a rewatch soon so maybe she'll give it a shot.

Either way, the key I learned is not to be "that guy" that Bobby described just saying "Pay attention". They either like it or they don't, and that's cool.

Is Ren getting a new look? It looks different and I'm not sure I like it :(

They're Battlefront II skins, I wouldn't really deduct anything from that lol

^^agreed with Kineda, we know she's gonna have her hair down at some point as we've seen it a few times in the marketing... and Kylo there looks like he does in the image that Rian Johnson shared at Celebration

That outfit of Rey's looks very old school Jedi IMO like something out of the Old Republic

EDIT it actually does say "Last Jedi themed look" so those are absolutely from the movie

Ridisc

Banned
Honestly preferred Reys more grungy look, she looks a little too...pristine there, granted its a bullshot.

Rey at the end of TFA is best Rey

Rey at the end of TFA is best Rey

She looked a lot more pristine at the end of TFA though once she was out of her Jakku rags and groomed by the Resistance. She's gonna have that look at least in the front-end of the movie.

I love visual change in characters, feels more progressive.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
That's def Rey's new look, it's the same one from the toy packaging we saw a few weeks back.
2wu0fQD.jpg

The outfit looks way color than the one she's wearing at the end/start of TFA/TLJ. However, I'm not sure I like the new hairstyle, the old one with the 3 lil' buns was the shit.

Kylo is stealing Krennic's look. That douche.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom