• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (Holiday 2017) and Wolfenstein II (2018) Announced for Nintendo Switch

Can we finally agree that Nintendo is Doomed?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Anyway, I'm curious- if they do implement motion/gyro controls, how exactly will they work? Zelda's gyro aiming works well because it isn't enabled until you start aiming the bow, likely the same for Skyrim. Is gyro sensing going to be happening the whole time like in Splatoon? I can see that getting a bit irritating, such that you'd need a dedicated button for recentering your aim.

Are there any pure FPS games out there with gyro controls?
I'mma PM you the whole rundown when I get home

jamonbread

Neo Member
I thought it was made clear Switch supported enhanced colour space, but not HDR? I have zero sources for this, it was in one of the tech threads iirc.

The X1 used in the Switch is technically capable of 4K HDR, but Nintendo have limited the output to 1080p. It would be nice if they could implement support for 4k video if it was possible with the Switch's current hardware configuration.

Thraktor

I thought it was made clear Switch supported enhanced colour space, but not HDR? I have zero sources for this, it was in one of the tech threads iirc.

The Switch itself is capable of outputting 4K/60Hz with 10 bit colour through the USB-C port, but the HDMI converter used in the dock is limited to 1080p (it can, and does, output 10 bit colour, but it doesn't seem capable of outputting the HDR10 standard).

The Switch itself is capable of outputting 4K/60Hz with 10 bit colour through the USB-C port, but the HDMI converter used in the dock is limited to 1080p (it can, and does, output 10 bit colour, but it doesn't seem capable of outputting the HDR10 standard).

Is it capable of that? Or is that only Thunderbolt 3?

That's a mega bummer. Seeing games like Breath of the Wild or Mario Kart 8 with deep, rich colours and proper contrast would give my 4K HDR TV more use. As it currently stands, the only things I can really use with it are a few YT videos, an HDR stream of Labyrinth, Hitman (which is buggy AF), and RE7.

Game devs, MAKE MORE GAMES HDR COMPATIBLE!

jamonbread

Neo Member

This tear down of the dock on TweakTown found the Switch's dock uses the megachips STDP2550, which according to the specs supports both 1080p 60Hz, a max resolution of 4K 30Hz and also has 3D support.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/56650/switch-dock-uses-mobility-displayport-hdmi-converter/index.html

Never seen people froth at the mouth like this over mere preview embargoes.

Well, this is the first "current gen" game to be ported over so I get the hype.
60 fps vs 30 fps is a pretty major deal when it comes to this post. It's the difference between definitely and maybe for me. For others it's buy vs no buy.

Thraktor

Is it capable of that? Or is that only Thunderbolt 3?

Standard USB-C with DisplayPort alt-mode can handle this without any need for Thunderbolt. In Switch's particular case, we know this from iFixit's teardown:

USB Chipset - Pericom Semiconductor PI3USB30532 - USB3.0/DisplayPort1.2 multiplexer
This handles data communication over the USB-C port, supporting three different modes:
1. USB3.0 (1 lane - 5Gb/s) only
2. USB3.0 (1 lane - 5Gb/s) + DP1.2 (2 lanes - 10.8Gb/s)
3. DP1.2 (4 lanes - 21.6Gb/s) only
There's no USB3.1 (10Gb/s) support, and the DisplayPort connection could support 4K/30fps (with HDR) simultaneously with USB, or 4K/60fps (with HDR) without USB.

Strictly speaking it can't output to the HDR10 spec (it was only added to DisplayPort in 1.4), but it can output 10-bit colour in the P3 colour space, so it would have been relatively simple for a DisplayPort-HDMI converter in the dock to tag this with the appropriate metadata to send out a 4K HDR10 signal over HDMI 2.0.

This tear down of the dock on TweakTown found the Switch's dock uses the megachips STDP2550, which according to the specs supports both 1080p 60Hz, a max resolution of 4K 30Hz and also has 3D support.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/56650/switch-dock-uses-mobility-displayport-hdmi-converter/index.html

The specifications of that chipset vary a bit (in some parts it says 1080p is the max resolution, in others it mentions 4K/30fps), but in any case it is neither capable of the HDR10 standard, nor HDCP2.2, which would be necessary for 4K video from the likes on Netflix.

ozfunghi

I am hoping for this but still it is a face that needed more GAF speculation

seriously why has no one broken the embargo?

His eyes give away that it's actually positive (as they are wide open and show signs of surprise like "i didn't expect this"). If it were a "meh" face (or more negative) his eyes would be more closed. This is definitely him responding to someone asking him how it is, and his response is clearly "it's actually not bad" or something along those lines. But definitely exceeding his expectations.

What does this X1 talk have to do with loaded baked potatoes? I like mine with extra bacon, cause I'm an American.

Because some people were especially hungry.

I'm a simple man; I like mine with a pat of salted butter, soaked in to completely assimilate with the potato, topped with sharp cheddar and ground beef - bacon is too salty.

Painguy

This vid has me hyped for DOOM again. I want to play it rlyyyyy badly now on my PC, but I guess I gotta just force myself not to lol

Cerium

High res box art:

11580187.jpg

Si2k78

Because some people were especially hungry.

I'm a simple man; I like mine with a pat of salted butter, soaked in to completely assimilate with the potato, topped with sharp cheddar and ground beef - bacon is too salty.

Then you're eating a Shepard pie. Bacon keeps it authentic.

I really can't wait to see these impressions! Curious to see whether or not they added in motion controls, even if they could just be used for small adjustments. Splatoon 2 has spoiled me.

Si2k78

60 fps vs 30 fps is a pretty major deal when it comes to this post. It's the difference between definitely and maybe for me. For others it's buy vs no buy.

From what we know of Bethesda's game design and their tendencies when porting games, can anyone speculate as to how they will try to reduce the resource demands of this game? Some of the big things I suspect they'll do is, cut each level into smaller parts to reduce the memory requirements, reducing texture quality and resolution are a given. I can live with these modifications. What I hope they won't do is reduce number of enemies on screen or enemies per battle, that, I feel would fundamentally change the experience of the game.

From what we know of Bethesda's game design and their tendencies when porting games, can anyone speculate as to how they will try to reduce the resource demands of this game? Some of the big things I suspect they'll do is, cut each level into smaller parts to reduce the memory requirements, reducing texture quality and resolution are a given. I can live with these modifications. What I hope they won't do is reduce number of enemies on screen or enemies per battle, that, I feel would fundamentally change the experience of the game.
This is being ported by ID, right?

That new Wolfenstein II trailer just sold me on that. Curious to see how the Switch version will hold up.

Dammit Bethesda, stop taking all of my money.

TheMoon

That new Wolfenstein II trailer just sold me on that. Curious to see how the Switch version will hold up.

Dammit Bethesda, stop taking all of my money.

It's funny how Bethesda as a publisher is stepping up. They're getting all my money.

Dishonored 2 + Death of the Outsider, Prey, DOOM, Skyrim SE Switch, Wolfenstein ... now if only they'd let Obsidian make Fallout again everything would be swell XD

They've come a long way since Hunted: The Demon Forge and Brink being their big non-TES/Fallout releases.

Playsage

I just listened to someone that had the occasion to try Doom on Switch saying that they were very happy with what they played.

It most probably runs at 60 fps (not confirmed)

Fiendcode

Even if every active Switch owner bought a copy it still wouldn't reach PS4+One.
Skyrim SE was massive.
If every Switch owner come November bought Skyrim it'll be on par with the 360 version. SE did much better than expected but it's not an unreachable 5m+ seller or something.

It's funny how Bethesda as a publisher is stepping up. They're getting all my money.

Dishonored 2 + Death of the Outsider, Prey, DOOM, Skyrim SE Switch, Wolfenstein ... now if only they'd let Obsidian make Fallout again everything would be swell XD

They've come a long way since Hunted: The Demon Forge and Brink being their big non-TES/Fallout releases.

I've always been a big fan of Bethesda, growing up near their office and absolutely adoring Morrowind. But yeah, their publisher days are looking to reach another level, especially now that they're embracing Nintendo as a partner.

I foresee good things for them and this partnership.

So you're saying it's a buttery smooth
baked potato?

Top Bottom