• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer: Yes, Destiny 2 Is Worth Checking Out If You Hated The First Game

okita

This article is a bit strange, are they trying to help Actvision / Bungie in some way? If i hated D1 i don't see the point to try D2 it's a similar game ...

Jumeira

Banned
Not really, i dont like this collection loot garbage. Doubt id like Destiny.

Now if Bungie made a traditional fps like Halo, then yep id be interested.

GhaleonEB

This article is a bit strange, are they trying to help Actvision / Bungie in some way? If i hated D1 i don't see the point to try D2 it's a similar game ...

The article says what he didn't like about Destiny and then describes the extent to which he does like Destiny 2 because of the changes made.

In what way is the article strange?

I think it depends on why one hated it.

I think there is room for people that hated it for specific reasons to end up liking the game, while there are others that still won't like the game.

That being said, I think the title is stupid. Of course it's not entirely true either way, so I don't see the point in it.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Absolutely agree.

Destiny 1 is my single biggest disappointment this generation, I loathed the non existent story, hollow campaign, the tedious and broken progression system, and basically everything about the game.

Destiny 2 is by no means perfect, but it fixes all of that and it's FUN.

Pretty much. Especially the progression system. You're always getting better gear or weapon to raise your light level. Playing solo since launch and apart from the public events and PvP it's been mostly a single player experince and overall very great to my surprise because I thought I would get bored playing solo. My friends will buy the game and join later and GAF is here for raids and other stuff.

okita

Try reading the article.

I've read it , don't see the point if i hated the original game. But if it was just a let down and i liked it in some way i can see people should try it again, i disagree with the article title and still sounds strange to me

Van Bur3n

If you hated it, like dreadfully so, I wouldn't say so. If you saw the potential of what was a disappointing game I'd say take a gander.

Destiny 2 is ultimately still Destiny. If you didn't like a single thing about the first, you won't like this one, I says.

GhaleonEB

I've read it , don't see the point if i hated the original game. But if it was just a let down and i liked it in some way i can see people should try it again, i disagree with the article title still sounds strange to me

The article is basically, "if you hated the game for similar reasons as I did, *list of reasons*, then you might not dislike the sequel because it fixes those things".

It's a sequel that is getting much better reception than the original game. The article is just talking about why, from the vantage point of someone who disliked the original. Again, why is that a strange article? It's not dissimilar to ones I've read from several outlets.

The article is basically, "if you hated the game for similar reasons as I did, *list of reasons*, then you might not dislike the sequel because it fixes those things".

It's a sequel that is getting much better reception than the original game. The article is just talking about why, from the vantage point of someone who disliked the original. Again, why is that a strange article? It's not dissimilar to ones I've read from several outlets.

Right, but I still think the title kind of sucks. People hate, love, like, dislike, or whatever for a ton of different reasons. The title makes it seem like those that hated it will love it, even though we know that's not necessarily the case.

The article is more than fine, it's a good article in my opinion. The title should have been worded differently.

Strakt

Right, but I still think the title kind of sucks. People hate, love, like, dislike, or whatever for a ton of different reasons. The title makes it seem like those that hated it will love it, even though we know that's not necessarily the case.

The article is more than fine, it's a good article in my opinion. The title should have been worded differently.

Well its a "GameInformer Opinion" I just couldn't fit the word opinion in the title

Jblanks

To me, there's really only 3 major differences

- 1, an actual story that you can follow

- 2, various QoL improvements, e.g., you don't need to always wear your highest light items

-3, guided games

Other than those 3 things, it's pretty much the first game all over again. I loved D1 so that's fine with me. But I don't think those 3 things are enough to change a nonbeliever into a believer.

The PvE improvements and all the things to do is definitely a major difference.

Flipyap

Absolutely agree.

Destiny 1 is my single biggest disappointment this generation, I loathed the non existent story, hollow campaign, the tedious and broken progression system, and basically everything about the game.

Destiny 2 is by no means perfect, but it fixes all of that and it's FUN.
Instead of a non-existent story we get an awful one... that's not an improvement.
The progression system is just as broken as ever, it's the slowest linear progression masquerading as a loot game, designed to inevitably render most of the game pointless as it forces you to depend on a small handful of weekly tasks.

They didn't really fix much, but they did a really good job of hiding its shortcomings for the duration of your first power level grind. It's pretty darn witty how much more varied they made the game seem by holding back your access to half of its basic features until the end of its campaign. Whereas in Destiny 1 you got to sample most of what the game had to offer along the way, in Destiny 2 you won't even realize how unrewarding and repetitive things like Strikes are until you're pretty close to reaching the power soft cap.

dEvAnGeL

i never finished the vanilla first game, regardless a friend trying to get me in to the game gift me the expansions and not even than i played the game for more than a few hours, the grinding was just so fucking boring, D2 though, i cant stop playing it, it might look the same, but the small changes sure worked for me, i am actually surprised that even when im working all im thinking is getting home to play the damn game lol, and i am a grown ass man, so take that as wish.

psyfi

Banned
Yeah, I had a really hard time truly enjoying Destiny 1 when it first came out (it got somewhat better later), but I love D2.

Instead of a non-existent story we get an awful one... that's not an improvement.

A story that makes you want to see what's going to happen next is better than a story that does not make you want to progress at all. It is definitely an improvement, even if it's just in how the story is told.

AHA-Lambda

The original game didn't "rub me the wrong" way - I just had no desire to keep playing it after I finished whatever it had that passed for a campaign. And absolutely nothing I've seen or heard from Destiny 2 has convinced me that would change.

This and this.

I wonder if it's worth checking out if you thought the Year 1 was peak Destiny. Although I bet it will be awhile before folks can answer that.

joe_zazen

Yes-you've discovered the conspiracy.

If the guy is now a huge destiny fan, maybe he is keen to help get more people playing. Like how some like to stump like a fierce pancake for their favourite game/console here, no conspiracy needed just intense enthusiasm.

Strakt

If the guy is now a huge destiny fan, maybe he is keen to help get more people playing. Like how some like to stump like a fierce pancake for their favourite game/console here, no conspiracy needed just intense enthusiasm.

That could be said about any video game article ever published

Yeah, this article is the truth. Like many have said already, D1 was one of the biggest disappointments all generation but I caught the bug with D2 and haven't been able to put it down since launch.

Bungie really stepped it up.

Bold One

I’m not falling for this trap.

What bothered me more than hating the last game was that other people kept playing it because they thought it was good. Humans deserve better.

I will suppress the interest I have for Destiny 2 because it doesn’t deserve my time or money and I already let it rob me the first time. Instead I’ll wait and let the next Borderlands scratch the itch.

Destiny threads, man....seriously

TQch1oZ.gif

Didn't hate D1.
I jumped in at TTK and liked what was on offer-but after raiding a few times I just didnt find enough to bring me back.

D2 has me pretty hooked and now that I'm finishing the campaign I'm grinding strikes(my fave part of destiny) to get raid ready.

In short D2 isn't a different game it's just vastly refined and tedium is ironed out.
I'm so pleased by it I'll be selling my ps4 copy come Oct and going all in on PC expansions and all

LowSignal

I didn't HATE Destiny 1 but it got old and I skipped out on the expansions. I felt base Destiny 2 was better after I finished the single player campaign but I probably wont play any of the expansions, to many games to play and I feel Destiny requires a large time commitment especially when you have to join groups. Big improvement by bungie

ZOONAMI

I kind of disagree with this other than the story actually make some degree of sense. Otherwise D1 and D2 feel like almost the same game (I like both).

MrBS

I think D2 is the better game but its ultimately the same game at its core and the changes are not transformative so I'm struggling with how a person who couldn't deal with end game grind of D1 would be happier with the end game grind of D2 which for better or worse is the meat of the game.

I think D2 is the better game but its ultimately the same game at its core the changes are not transformative so I'm struggling with how a person who couldn't deal with end game grind of D1 would be happier with the end game grind of D2 which for better or worse is the meat of the game.

The point is that most people didn't make it to the end game of D1 because it was not fun enough to justify getting there, whereas, even if I get to the end game of D2 and quit because I don't like grinding, that is still significantly more hours of enjoyment than I ever got out of D1.

Pics_nao

How different from TTK is it? TTK fixed all the problems I had with Y1 Destiny but literally everything after that was boring as shit

It has a lot of the same problems but at least the actual content is of a higher quality and a bit more reminiscent of Halo at times.

If you hated Destiny 1 because the story was bad and the missions boring maybe D2 is for you

If you hated Destiny 1 because of the structure, the grind, the repeating levels, the short amount of content and nagging feeling you can literally see holes where DLC will go.

How different from TTK is it? TTK fixed all the problems I had with Y1 Destiny but literally everything after that was boring as shit

It very much feels like "what if the TTK guys had 2 years instead of 1"

Its good. But yeah, its still Destiny. That end game is for very specific people who can put up with a lot of BS.

Shai-Tan

Banned
What if I disliked the PC beta? It seemed like a Call of Duty style shooting gallery. I never tried the first game on console, was expecting it to be more like Halo with a bit more interesting AI and larger open spaces.

SpotAnime

TBH, I think Destiny 2 is just people getting used to Destiny. I think if Destiny 2 came out first, people would still have the same problems with it.

I think there's still a lack of story in Destiny 2, there's just no grimore cards anymore so it's basically addition by subtraction. But the story is still a headscratcher, and there's no excuse for it being the way it is for such a big IP. I mean, the first time I saw humans in Destiny 2 I was like, "there's humans in Destiny?" I thought it was just robots with souls from fallen warriors or something. It's dumb to begin with, but it needs some other stuff - comics, books, video shorts or something - that makes people care more about it. It needs to be humanized, for lack of a better term.

And the light is still a stupid way to measure character progression. I wish it were more like Borderlands with character levels and then loot which augments in some way. But I also admit the light progression in Destiny 2 feels better - I feel like I'm a higher light at this point than I was in Destiny 1.

Point-to-point I was still getting lost in 2 as I was in 1, but I got it okay after a while.

But to sum it up, I think if you didn't play Destiny 1, you'll still have a lot of the same problems with Destiny 2.

Omni

Hmmm... I'm not so sure. I'm enjoying Destiny 2 quite a bit but it just feels like what a polished Destiny 1 would have felt like a few years ago. If you hated Destiny to begin with, I don't think this will do much to change your opinion. Fundamentally it's almost identical.

MrBS

The point is that most people didn't make it to the end game of D1 because it was not fun enough to justify getting there, whereas, even if I get to the end game of D2 and quit because I don't like grinding, that is still significantly more hours of enjoyment than I ever got out of D1.
Is this hypothetical or your actual experience? Beating the campaign in both doesn't take a lot of time if its all you're interesting in doing then my recommendation would be wait for a deep discount or not bother at all.

If I hated the gameplay loop of Destiny 1, the endless stream of shooting enemies while the ghost scans stuff, will I like Destiny 2?

Cause personally, from the demo's and quick looks I've seen, there's nothing that encourages me.

Mezoly

If I hated the gameplay loop of Destiny 1, the endless stream of shooting enemies while the ghost scans stuff, will I like Destiny 2?

There is more platforming sections to pace the game better and much less scanning sections. The missions design and combat encounters are so much better than Vanilla Destiny 1.

GhaleonEB

Cause personally, from the demo's and quick looks I've seen, there's nothing that encourages me.

If you are talking encounter design, there's very little "scan this, stand and shoot stuff while adds spawn in". That was a lot of the content in vanilla Destiny due to 1) limited tools, and 2) limited space in the destinations to build encounters around. And probably due to the story reboot/gutting, as well.

Destiny 2 solves all three of those problems. There are a few defensive stands but they tend to be much more interesting than what D1 offered. The encounters tend to be much larger and more varied, covering a much larger amount of territory. The core shooting mechanics are pretty much the same, but surrounding content is very different.

Is this hypothetical or your actual experience?

Actual experience. You can read my other posts. By this time in D1 I had checked out whereas I'm on the second planet in D2 (which i never made it to in D1) and I can't wait to get home and play more. You shouldn't tell other people how they should spend their money btw.

120v

not going tinfoil hat here but it is kind of... off.

fundamental gameplay loop is still there. which is fine, but you "hated" it before and this is what makes you take a 180? er... okay

Maddocks

The best thing I like about Destiny 2 over 1 is it doesn't feel like a grind fest. It has grinding no doubt, but I never feel like I'm halted in my level. For Destiny 1, there where times I was at 1 light level for a week or so before getting another thing needed to push myself over a limit. This just flows better.

BigEmil

But I heard from lots of people the ones who didn't like Destiny 1, then played Destiny 2 to give it a go but still didn't like it ...

Top Bottom