• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer: Yes, Destiny 2 Is Worth Checking Out If You Hated The First Game

jrDev

I wonder if the disappointment from first game turned off a lot of people for the sequel? Something like what happened with Titan Fall?

Striek

Nah. Too many good games out to bother jumping back into this franchise. Also the things I really disliked about the game, the really dumb AI and mediocre gameplay loop, is the only thing people ever praised D1 consistently for, so others opinions are of questionable value for this game.

Strakt

I wonder if the disappointment from first game turned off a lot of people for the sequel? Something like what happened with Titan Fall?

It sold less for sure but you have to also take into account no more Xbox 360 or ps3 like the first had. Also, it's coming on pc for the first time ever so that will bring a bunch of new people.

Either way the game had 1.3m concurrent users a couple days ago so that's an achievement of its own

D3VI0US

tenor.gif

Speaking of not reading, from my post that you quoted:

"As someone who played the first game and all the expansions and finished all of Destiny 2 story mode and strike in a just weekend of playing to me it's just more of the same old forgettable shit."

Maybe you should take that into consideration instead of being snarky. I played and beat both Destiny and Destiny 2 so I don't need to read some bozo's article to know I disagree, words are not gonna change how I feel based on my actual on hands experience with the game and series.

This is more in line with my opinion of the game:

Yeah, I think people should take caution that the actual gameplay of Destiny 2, outside of a couple QOL adjustments, is almost exactly the same as D1.

Razgreez

Played 280+hrs of D1. Got given D2 for free by friends who I played D1 with as an incentive to join them. Haven't even downloaded the game as it just looks like more of the same - much to their chagrin.

Most of my enjoyment in D1 did not come from the game, which was ultimately rather boring but rather talking smack to friends and other players while auto-piloting it. I've found games in which I enjoy both the game itself and the social aspect as opposed to the social aspect in spite of the game

I am enjoying it a lot more than Destiny 1, but you still hit the same thing at its core: the sense that you're on a rather pretty treadmill, with the end-goal being no real changes to anything but an increase of a number/expanding your collection of 'generically varied' guns. The additional spaces and layers of systems are very, very welcome, but it's still, at heart, a matter of missed opportunities and 'what ifs' than something that is genuinely exciting. The expectations for the game are out of whack too, I think: the story is nice enough, but it's really nothing special in any sense, and narratively makes fuck all sense...

Glad to have played it though.

Edit: the implication in that review that TF2 is a gulf-better than TF1 suggests TF1 was somehow bad. Nuh-uh. Terrific game.

Lol at the some of the responses.

It's been 3 fucking years. It's time to move on. What is it about Destiny that it's existence pisses you guys off so much?

Peroroncino

Lol at the some of the responses.

It's been 3 fucking years. It's time to move on. What is it about Destiny that it's existence pisses you guys off so much?

Some people probably think that its enormous success isn't deserved, that's my best bet, otherwise I can't even begin to fathom another reason.

I'm enjoying it so far, for all it's faults me and my friends sank hours into the first game and its been great to get back onto that loot train.

The only thing that concerns me is some of my friends are going hell for leather trying to power up as fast as they can and I honestly think the most fun of these games is the journey to end game and not end game itself. Keep trying to tell them to slow down and smell the roses lol

Truant

Taken King had a mission that would end with the usual "Mission End - Returning to orbit in 10...9..8", before suddenly a huge enemy spawns in and the timer is interrupted and the mission continues on for like 10 minutes. They did such a good job playing with the expectations and established mechanics. I feel stuff like that is totally missing from the D2 campaign.

I think I'm buying the PC version to check it out, but I'm still not 100% sold on the idea that it won't let me down like Destiny 1 did. I adore MMOs, but mostly for the huge worlds to explore. The MMOs I pour a lot of time into offer a whole wealth of end game content focused on exploring, crafting, home building etc, as meaningful end game content. But the only meaningful content I see in Destiny 2 so far is the raid, and I HATE raids. I don't have the time for that, and I don't find them fun. I love exploring and taking my time. I love working towards flying mounts in WoW's end game zones, or building out my crafting knowledge in ESO to create ultimate nine trait item sets. Destiny's only PVE focus seems to be "gear up from patrols and public events so you can be better at this one raid", rather than allowing the events in the open world to provide their own end game quality experience.

Unless I'm missing something, gearing up for a raid is not even remotely attractive to me.

KORNdoggy

i'll try it when it's cheap. everything i've seen of the game make it look like more of the same to me. but for the right price i'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

xviper

the End game content is pretty much the same, or probably even worse since they fucked up the Nightfalls with the timer, the only new addition in D2( assuming you only played Vanilla D1 without any Expansions) is Trials of the nine( Trials of osiris) other than that it's the same

but the Campaign in D2 is better than D1, don't expect a Halo campaign though

Why do game outlets have to sell us games? They reviewed the game positively, they can mention this in other news sections or mention how they're enjoying it in podcasts. I see no need to make an article that points out that if you hated Destiny's you'll love Destiny 2 given the core gameplay did not change. If you hated certain game elements or the lack of content it's one thing, but then you didn't hate the game. I write reviews myself, imagine me giving 9.5 to the new Call Of Duty and then every 2 weeks a new article, with titles like "Guys, trust me, COD is back" "If you hated old COD games you NEED to buy this one" "10 reasons why everyone has to play COD WWII". It would be unprofessional to say the least, and one would understandably question my ethics and impartiality.

I love Destiny. I'd say if you "hate" Destiny 1 though, you are still not going to like this. It's the same shit basically.

D2 looks better and has a little more variety but currently the strikes aren't really worth playing loot-wise, a lot of the gear and their perks are extremely lame, shaders are now consumable items so you wont want to use them since your gear is constantly changing, the enemies are almost all completely recycled, the story is indeed there but it sucks a fat one...and it goes on.

IF you liked Destiny 1 after they introduced TTK, then you will probably like this but there is still no Prison Of Elders/Court Of Oryx type events. I have absolutely zero doubt that these types of things will be back and better than ever...as paid DLC.

So, that's my take.

As someone who's been playing a lot of Destiny 2, I'd say, no. If you didn't at least find the first one palatable, don't buy this game. It is still undeniably the same Destiny. And I mean that, a large number of assets, engine work and gameplay has basically been copy pasted. It has Improved in places, some nice convenience features (no more leveling gear for instance). But skimmed down in others (Apparently the skill tree was too confusing or something so we got a simplified version where you just have two sets trees to choose from with four "features"). Also exotics and gear have been rebalanced in kind of a bitter sweet way. They improved flexibility with mod slots. But walked back a bit overall, much less interesting exotics than the previous title in the way they affect play on the class with changes to abilities like grenades/melees or supers. This time around they are generally very generic pieces that do very little to influence supers or other abilities. Weapon variation has been basically eliminated. So they've moved away from the Diablo esque loot that was getting interesting. Each piece is set in stone gear outside the choice of energy type via mod.

As far as content, it's good, the story isn't great, but it's better than the shit show D1 was. Has strikes, raid and PVP. Should be enjoyable for a few more weeks at least. But it doesn't have the staying power of previous Bungie titles like Halo due to the limited nature of ground combat, lack of modes, and no vehicle features to spruce up PvP. PVE is content limited to a few strikes (Nightfall is the strike with a twist, more enjoyable than nightfalls in D1 due to the interesting time limit/time earning mechanics) and a raid again. The raid is fun but will grow stale after a few weeks. So the hard mode needs to be sufficiently diversified and more challenging to renew the interest there. Aside from that, it will really come down to post launch content support in a timely manner. Bungie/Activision didn't inspire confidence with D1 in this area.

george_us

For some reason endgame in Destiny 2 isn't holding my interest like Destiny 1 despite it being much much MUCH better. Not sure why. Might just be burnt out on Destiny in general.

bosseye

If you hated D1 I can't see how you'd find anything in D2 to really change your mind. Mechanically its very very similar.

I loved D1 despite its flaws and I love D2 - its a vastly better experience, plenty of QoL improvements, the amount of stuff to do is much increased and the locations are more interesting and dense.

My only issue at the moment seems to be the end game stuff, there doesn't appear to be enough activities where high level gear can drop, it feels limited to the Nightfall and the Raid. Thus far I've not got anything of worth from a Strike or PVP.

I would say my 3 main issues with Destiny 2 are the number of different in game currencies. The number of missions that rely on the "defend me while i open this door/hack this thing" situations and the 3 person fire teams when we always seem to be in the situation of wishing 4 of us could play PVE together...

I guess all these applied to Destiny 1 too.

I think I'm buying the PC version to check it out, but I'm still not 100% sold on the idea that it won't let me down like Destiny 1 did. I adore MMOs, but mostly for the huge worlds to explore. The MMOs I pour a lot of time into offer a whole wealth of end game content focused on exploring, crafting, home building etc, as meaningful end game content. But the only meaningful content I see in Destiny 2 so far is the raid, and I HATE raids. I don't have the time for that, and I don't find them fun. I love exploring and taking my time. I love working towards flying mounts in WoW's end game zones, or building out my crafting knowledge in ESO to create ultimate nine trait item sets. Destiny's only PVE focus seems to be "gear up from patrols and public events so you can be better at this one raid", rather than allowing the events in the open world to provide their own end game quality experience.

Unless I'm missing something, gearing up for a raid is not even remotely attractive to me.

Destiny is all about gear, and the gear in this title is extremely underwhelming and uninteresting. They removed random stats and kind of moved away from anything Diablo/Path of Exile esque. Which is where they should have been heading. Because they refused to separate PVP and PVE it means we also won't see them do anything for expanding replayability in terms of modifying content ala Nephalim rifts in Diablo. They show a hint of this potential with the Nightfalls in D2, but it's not nearly enough. Really wish they had pursued that crazy build based loot based PVE with different builds and set gear or something. Would have been great. Instead you have exotics that have become much more generic even then the first.

As for the world, there's not much to explore. Just a few zones that span the story quest and side missions effectively.

If you're someone that was a traditional MMO player and are expecting something to that scale, you will be sorely dissapointed. It's closer to something like a pared-down Diablo with guns.

Destiny 1 came with my Xbox One. I played the "story" mode and traded it in.

If I have to buy all the DLC and put 100s of hours in to have fun, your game is not worth my time.

I adored Bungies Halo games, Destiny 1 shipping like it did left a bad enough taste in my mouth that I'm not interested in trying the sequel.

Endo Punk

I didn't buy the first game, just played the trial. Destiny 2 is incredibly fun, gun play feels fantastic not that I play fps games often, last purchase was timesplitters.

It's not though, I hated destiny 1 and love destiny 2.

Explain where you think the major differences lie. I'm curious. This is coming from someone who had 100's of hours in the first and is currently sitting with all content completed in the second (including 7 win trial etc). From my view it's very largely the same. There's been refinements. But it's not like they are drastically different games.

Pastry

Banned
I enjoyed Destiny 1 but by the time I got to the end of vanilla I felt like there was literally nothing to do. I dropped it shortly after.

It seems like some of that problem has been alleviated in Destiny 2, there looks to be more to do for endgame. I'm also really enjoying the single player and adventures so far. I see myself playing vanilla for longer in D2 than D1. No idea if I'll stick around for any DLC.

Melchiah

I think if you "hated" the first one - this would be a really bad purchase.

If you liked the first one, but found it disappointing and didn't hold your interest - this one has a better chance of doing so.

I liked the first one, and still continue to play it once a week, but the sequel turned me off by changing how my favorite class Hunter plays, and removing sniper & launcher combo for the sake of PVP, which I never play.

I really can't disagree more.

It's fundamentally similar.

Amazing gunplay. Great art/enemy design (just like no new shit on this front).

Endgame is less shitty than before but still is bad, pvp is still bad but somehow worse. Story is still awful but it is at least sensible and bad in a regular bad game story way.

Skronk

Banned
I'm definitely interested but I might wait till they do the cheaper collection will all the DLC like they did before. I feel like people who waited for that had the best Destiny 1 experience.

chidrock

I liked the gameplay of the first one but hated the fact that it felt like every mission was the same. It felt like I would fight through enemies only to get to a point where I had to sit in a spot and fight off waves of more enemies as they all rushed in at me. I heard that the expansions tried to fix the game, but did they fix that?

The other problem that I had was that I don't have as much time to play games as my friends, so any time that I played with them they would be many levels higher than me so I would basically just have to chip away at enemies and hope I didn't die before they would come in and kill them. It also sucked because they were usually replaying the missions when they played with me, so any sense of exploration would be gone because they would know exactly what to do.

With all of that in mind, should I even bother trying to get into part 2? If so, should I try to finish part 1 and the expansions first?

GhaleonEB

I liked the gameplay of the first one but hated the fact that it felt like every mission was the same. It felt like I would fight through enemies only to get to a point where I had to sit in a spot and fight off waves of more enemies as they all rushed in at me. I heard that the expansions tried to fix the game, but did they fix that?
This is a typical evening with D2, as compared to the first game.

The other problem that I had was that I don't have as much time to play games as my friends, so any time that I played with them they would be many levels higher than me so I would basically just have to chip away at enemies and hope I didn't die before they would come in and kill them. It also sucked because they were usually replaying the missions when they played with me, so any sense of exploration would be gone because they would know exactly what to do.

With all of that in mind, should I even bother trying to get into part 2? If so, should I try to finish part 1 and the expansions first?
I always play the campaigns solo for that reason. The side missions (adventures, lost sectors, public events, quests) are "lighter" and are fun to romp through with or without friends. But the campaign does feature a lot of exploration and unexpected environments. I suggest just doing it solo and playing everything else with friends if they want to join.

AEREC

Absolutely agree.

Destiny 1 is my single biggest disappointment this generation, I loathed the non existent story, hollow campaign, the tedious and broken progression system, and basically everything about the game.

Destiny 2 is by no means perfect, but it fixes all of that and it's FUN.

This makes absolutely no sense. Destiny 2 is pretty damn close to Destiny 1 year one for me. D2's story is so terrible, I guess people just want empty cutscenes every once in a while. The Progression system is pretty much the same. The planets in D2 also feel more constricted and not as environmentally varied. There really is only a few minor QoL improvements but otherwise D2 launch isn't ever close to what D1 ended up being.

For me:

D1y3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>D2=>D1y1

chidrock

This is a typical evening with D2, as compared to the first game.

I always play the campaigns solo for that reason. The side missions (adventures, lost sectors, public events, quests) are "lighter" and are fun to romp through with or without friends. But the campaign does feature a lot of exploration and unexpected environments. I suggest just doing it solo and playing everything else with friends if they want to join.

Thanks! I guess what bugged me the most about what I played in D1 were the parts where I would have to sit as waves of enemies rushed in at me. I like having to fight my way through a map, but not just sitting in one spot as waves come in on me.

Laieon

I never got the chance to play Destiny 1 but I've always wanted to (I've lived in Korea the past few years and console gaming is kind of dead here outside of maybe PS4). Looking forward to trying it out on PC when it launches.

GhaleonEB

Thanks! I guess what bugged me the most about what I played in D1 were the parts where I would have to sit as waves of enemies rushed in at me. I like having to fight my way through a map, but not just sitting in one spot as waves come in on me.

Yeah you won't be doing that with D2. The maps are huge and you're constantly pushing forward. Couple of defensive stands in the campaign, but they're both the exception and well done.

chidrock

Yeah you won't be doing that with D2. The maps are huge and you're constantly pushing forward. Couple of defensive stands in the campaign, but they're both the exception and well done.

Cool! That makes me happy to hear. Now for the last question: should I finish D1 and the expansions before playing D2? Thanks again...

J 0 E

That's exactly what happened with me, I loved the shooting in D1 but hated the lack of content and abandoned it < never tried the DLCs

Having a blast with D2 now.

GhaleonEB

Cool! That makes me happy to hear. Now for the last question: should I finish D1 and the expansions before playing D2? Thanks again...

Nah, not really needed. The game actually has dialogue tied to what content you played in Destiny 1. When the Taken show up, if you've played The Taken King, it's like, oh hey. Taken. If you haven't, there's an extended dialogue section explaining where they came from. Cliffs Notes Taken King.

The community is moving en masse to D2, so I'd go straight to it were I in your situation.

Destiny is all about gear, and the gear in this title is extremely underwhelming and uninteresting. They removed random stats and kind of moved away from anything Diablo/Path of Exile esque. Which is where they should have been heading. Because they refused to separate PVP and PVE it means we also won't see them do anything for expanding replayability in terms of modifying content ala Nephalim rifts in Diablo. They show a hint of this potential with the Nightfalls in D2, but it's not nearly enough. Really wish they had pursued that crazy build based loot based PVE with different builds and set gear or something. Would have been great. Instead you have exotics that have become much more generic even then the first.

As for the world, there's not much to explore. Just a few zones that span the story quest and side missions effectively.

If you're someone that was a traditional MMO player and are expecting something to that scale, you will be sorely dissapointed. It's closer to something like a pared-down Diablo with guns.

Yep, exotics as multiple quest rewards BEFORE max level seems weird to me as well. I agree that a more Diablo-style loot route would have been better (for our interests at least), and I'll always be sad that they STILL aren't focusing on creating larger more open worlds for us to fall in love with and instead rely entirely on PVP and raids as the only thing to do at end game and the only reasons to be gearing up. I think I might wait a while and see what the expansions bring, and if they don't interest me either... fingers crossed for Anthem delivering the MMO hybrid I'm after instead.

And I know, I know, "EDZ is double the size of D1 zones!" But technically EDZ is a Destiny 1 zone itself. It was being hyped up to journalists before D1 even released but got delayed indefinitely and then held back for an easy content bump in Destiny 2. And more to the point... doubling something tiny is still pretty small. Man I wish this game's content was as impressive as its gunplay but... it really isn't. Not by any measure (unless you're into PVP). Even PVE lovers only have a single raid and current leaks for the next expansion suggests there isn't a second coming any time soon.

Z3M0G

I think Destiny 1 was a game that was a bit behind its time...

In the beginning it was said that the developers played a lot of Phantasy Star Online (or Universe) and you could really feel the influence there... but perhaps they followed that formula a bit too closely. And while they game might have been "physically" large (play spaces, gear designs, etc) compared to most single-player games, in the end they still delivered a large single player game worth of content, and expected players to play that game over and over and over and over and somehow keep enjoying it... and the design decisions to make it enjoyable is where they faltered in the beginning. Then came Taken King, by then adding quite a bit more physical space to play, quite a bit more loot to collect and see, and on top of that tried to borrow some "MMO" / Mobile tricks to give you more rewarding reasons to keep playing that content and feel you are not doing something over and over, but always doing something "new" while simply playing in the same space over and over.

Destiny 2 is probably still a bit behind its time today... because really, what they have done is delivered what Destiny should have been 3 (3? Holy fuck... 3) years ago.

Edit: I'm seriously stuck on the fact that Destiny is 3 years old... jesus christ

Edit: Taken King is 2 fucking years old...

D3VI0US

That was always abundantly clear.

Selectively quoting again. Once again I played and beat both Destiny 1 and 2 and formed my own opinion so I don't need to read the opinion of someone else to come to a conclusion. Maybe if you got your head out of your ass you could comprehend that, it's not really hard if you have some intelligence but you've already clearly called that into question.

It's the same, the enemies are almost all the same and some of their behaviors slightly different but fundamentally the same. Ghaleon is caping hard for this game and I don't think his depiction is illustrative of the actual boring experience of playing Destiny. I would say you need just go watch some gameplay of missions and you'll see they all follow the same templates as Destiny 1. I mean it's a shooter that's to be expected but his typical night of Destiny 2 description is looking with some rose colored glasses.

Almost all the missions are made up of some combination of the following:
-shoot guys and clear an area
-collect some kind of material or stand on a checkpoint
-wait for your ghost to do something while you defend an area
-carry a glowing orb from one location to another

There could be a couple that I'm forgetting but all unremarkable and in the same vein. Stringing these basic template objectives doesn't make the missions more interesting or fun, just longer.
You do get to drive a slow boring tank in one of the last missions, that's really about it for variety.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If you are talking encounter design, there's very little "scan this, stand and shoot stuff while adds spawn in". That was a lot of the content in vanilla Destiny due to 1) limited tools, and 2) limited space in the destinations to build encounters around. And probably due to the story reboot/gutting, as well.

Destiny 2 solves all three of those problems. There are a few defensive stands but they tend to be much more interesting than what D1 offered. The encounters tend to be much larger and more varied, covering a much larger amount of territory. The core shooting mechanics are pretty much the same, but surrounding content is very different.
Yeah I hated that in the beta. In fact I hated the quest/mission design in Destiny and it's the primary reason why I didn't bother with the full game. I remember a beta mission where all I had to do was listen to the robot tell me to go to place X on the open-world map, follow the marker there, then he asks me to scan the area. I do that, then it says "OK, we got enough data" and that was it. There were a couple of mobs in the way, hanging around the spot, but that's it.

I was like... what? What did I scan? For what/whom? There was no explanation, no purpose, not even a hint of one.

Rarely has a game ever felt like such a waste of time. Is quest/mission design significantly better in Destiny 2, then?

I don't think they're giving advice.. its more like they are giving their opinion which is why their article is called:

Opinion: Yes, Destiny 2 Is Worth Checking Out If You Hated The First Game

The article states the reasons of why he "hates" the first game and what makes the second one so much better in his opinion. The author is basically saying if you hated the game for the same reasons he did, then most likely the second one will be a pleasant surprise. Most people don't play destiny for the campaign, they play for end game activities.. and while you may find them boring, a lot of people don't because they like shooter looters (The main attraction of destiny).
I would love a campaign (coop or solo) and don't care much about end-game activities. In Borderlands games I ignored all post-game raid bosses and stuff, but I enjoyed the campaign and the missions. Would I enjoy Destiny 2?

Darrenm

Neo Member
Uhh...what?

If a player hated the first Destiny, they will hate this one too - it's essentially the exact same game, with a few minor tweaks that improve the overalll experience. Same gameplay, same endgame experience, and a leadup that may be even shorter. If you're a single player, 10-15 hours may be all you get out of it - raids are a challenge without a solid group, and Trials is a 100% write off as you aren't allowed to participate. Reaching higher than a light level of 270 will be a near impossibility.

If story was the issue, it's still "meh" and very skippable. The serious + comical tone has taken a turn towards outright comedic (or an attempt, at least), and that's probably the largest difference overall.

Not sure where the vast differences are to make this more palatable for anyone who straight up hated the original.

anothertech

It's eons better than the first.

If you got burnt by the first and never played the TTK or after expansions, Destiny 2 would be like a COMPLETELY different game.

But if you played TTK and after, it's still better. Just not as night and day difference. The world quests and story mode alone make it better.

The campaign is arguably better than any Halo campaign, and is one of Bungee's finest achievements to be truthful.

GhaleonEB

Yeah I hated that in the beta. In fact I hated the quest/mission design in Destiny and it's the primary reason why I didn't bother with the full game. I remember a beta mission where all I had to do was listen to the robot tell me to go to place X on the open-world map, follow the marker there, then he asks me to scan the area. I do that, then it says "OK, we got enough data" and that was it. There were a couple of mobs in the way, hanging around the spot, but that's it.

I was like... what? What did I scan? For what/whom? There was no explanation, no purpose, not even a hint of one.

Rarely has a game ever felt like such a waste of time. Is quest/mission design significantly better in Destiny 2, then?

Yes. The missions are large and varied, some mix in vehicles, vast open spaces, objectives, platforming, etc. Very few defensive stands and in general are very different than D1. I went into detail what playing a side mission was like, here, as a point of contrast. It's a night and day difference in mission and encounter design, with about 4x the raw territory to cover.
Uhh...what?

If a player hated the first Destiny, they will hate this one too - it's essentially the exact same game, with a few minor tweaks that improve the overalll experience.
This is objectively false. Every system in the game was overhauled. The article goes into detail, as did I.

Same gameplay
Very similar, yes.
same endgame experience

Destiny 1 endgame, post-campaign: Strike playlist, Nightfall strike, Heroic strike, raid, Iron Banner.

Destiny 2 endgagem, post-campaign: ~3 dozen Adventures with various mechanics, comparable to full missions in Destiny 1; 15 or so lost sectors; numerous exotic quests; several quests consisting of numerious missions across the destinations; Trials of the Nine; Iron Banner; Nightfall strike (with rotating, high-impact mechanics); Nightfall strike hard mode, raid.

and a leadup that may be even shorter
The campaign is much larger, missions are 2-3x longer each, and cover proportionally more territory.

If you're a single player, 10-15 hours may be all you get out of it - raids are a challenge without a solid group, and Trials is a 100% write off as you aren't allowed to participate. Reaching higher than a light level of 270 will be a near impossibility.
There are around 40 single player missions, excluding quests, and before strikes (with matchmaking), and not including all the public events. I'm a few dozen hours in and am still working on quests, adventures and strikes (most of which I haven't seen yet).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there are measureable facts you are referencing and your facts are objectively wrong. You can still come out no liking the game, of course. But your post isn't grounded in reality.

Monocle

It would be an understatement to say that I did not like Destiny upon its release in 2014. Years later I still maintain that it's a bad game. Not even a mediocre one. Straight up bad, with its environments composed of endless, barren plains with enemies surging toward you horde-style, its constant grind with diminishing returns, and let's not forget the awful, non-existent attempt at storytelling culminating with a character saying "I don't have time to explain what I don't have time to explain." Admittedly, expansion packs like The Taken King and Rise Of Iron helped fixed a lot of those problems by inserting mini-campaigns into the game and filling out what was essentially a clunky proof of concept with the kind of content that should have been there in the first place, but it still felt like a bandaid on a broken bone, as none of Destiny's locations or activities were as interesting or satisfying as its gunplay
The Dreadnaught says hi. Also Rasputin's chambers with the diamond motif are straight up awesome.

But yeah vanilla Destiny was a barren husk of a game with sublime gunplay. The later expansions are a generational leap in quality.

Top Bottom