• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Classics Emulator Hacked - Plays any PS2 game on any CFW PS3

Veezy

que?
I would love to do this but the emulator seems kind of obtuse. I just want to play my games. Has the ps2 emulator become easier to use?

I'm note even sure "obtuse" would be the word for it.

First, you download the program.
You install it.
You run the program.
You configure your video settings and your controller settings.
Finally, you direct the program to find your PS2 bios.
This part takes, literally, a few minutes. There's a step by step video/ instruction page should you need it.

If you want to play a game with proper widescreen scaling, you download the widescreen patches (there's a DL on the forums with a pack that has all currents games), move it to the cheats folder, and enable cheats. Unless you're going to play an obscure title, you should be fine with the complete pack.

Rip the game to your hard drive, Find your ISO, select "enable cheats," and run it.

The only difference between it and other emulators is that various components (controller settings, video settings, etc.) are plugins (like epsxe), but those add ons come with the program. Well, that, and you also need to acquire a BIOS (which you have to do yourself by having a PS2). Once you do the initial config, you're done and it runs just like any other emulator does.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Why would Sony give for free what they could charge for on a per game basis. It's the same reason they won't allow you to play PSP games on your PS3 (something else CFW can do).

Are there videos of this? I'd love to see something like this in action.

androvsky

The difference is testing 5000+ titles for no financial return - or testing on average about 2 titles per week, that actually sell.
I was comparing the launch Euro PS3s and the idea of unlocking this pure software emulator to work with all discs. It's testing 5000+ titles either way (actually more like the top 1000 or so), except Sony did that once already in the case of the launch Euro systems, complete with an online compatibility list.

Rumor from back when Sony announced the PS2 Classics is Sony tested a huge number of games for the pure software emulator too, but it was a quick and dirty run-through of each game just to get a general idea of what worked, not a true QA for something they're going to sell.

Sulla1980

Yeah, right now the PCSX2 seems a bit easier than the emulator in the PS3. I am sure the PS3 process will become more streamlined shortly, however.

Either way, cool news! I will give it a try shortly. Thanks OP

But performance isn't.

...yes.. but it still has less the available bandwidth. It doesn't matter if the nVidia Titan has 4+ TFLOPS if the bandwidth is less than the PS2, it wouldn't be able to emulate the PS2.

But of course, the Titan does have more than the PS2... but you get my point.

The difference is testing 5000+ titles for no financial return - or testing on average about 2 titles per week, that actually sell.

Couldn't you just use an automation software to do that faster than any human could? I know automation software is a fairly new thing, and I'm not sure QTP, Selenium, or RFT could be used to run automation scripts on a game, but certainly there are some SW out there that you can run and check the log for errors. Certainly it would be a lot cheaper, faster, and a lot more accurate than having 30 junior testers doing the same thing.

But performance isn't.

Care to elaborate more on this?

...yes.. but it still has less the available bandwidth. It doesn't matter if the nVidia Titan has 4+ TFLOPS if the bandwidth is less than the PS2, it wouldn't be able to emulate the PS2.

Then how are games being 100% emulated?

kvn

Nope, there were no issues back when they had the BC models. First it was hardware BC, then before it was discontinued, they sold software based BC models. Licensing has nothing to do with it.

The software based BC models still had built-in PS2 parts.

Foffy

Banned
Good thing I never supported these re-releases from Sony, as I figured there was no way they ported each and every game over. It seemed like a way to just rip off consumers. It's cool that people broke this and all, but I think I'll just stick to PCSX2.

They aren't. They will at least try to run, but you can't guarantee it.

Please, if you have no idea what you're talking about, don't try to be snarky.

I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm asking. How else am I supposed to ask?

This thread does suggest that games are 100% emulated and not ported as previously claimed by some folks.

androvsky

For example, if an emulator has half the memory bandwidth but can handle calculations based on those memory fetches twice as fast, it's a bit of a wash. It might run into problems in cases where a game is spending a lot more time grabbing memory than doing calculations, but as we can see in the case of this software emulator on the PS3 running demanding PS2 games such as MGS3 and FFXII, memory bandwidth isn't always a limiting factor. In fact, we're still waiting on a case where it is a limit.

Hasn't the 360 never had CFW?

360 has CFW on the disk drives to allow backups and you can even add some hardware to emulate the disk drive sorta like Daemon tools and run all your backups off a hard drive. It's super nice not having to get up to change disks, no XBL kinda sucks but for single player stuff it's great.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Holy shit.

How easy would it be to mod a PS3 with CFW nowadays?
And does this emu let me play PS2 games from any region?
I'm still bitter that PSX games are region-locked on PS3.

360 has CFW on the disk drives to allow backups and you can even add some hardware to emulate the disk drive sorta like Daemon tools and run all your backups off a hard drive. It's super nice not having to get up to change disks, no XBL kinda sucks but for single player stuff it's great.

So if I hack my PAL 360 to run JPN region locked games I can't ever buy an XBLA game again? Don't care about multiplayer or other Live stuff, don't have Gold and never will.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Holy shit.

How easy would it be to mod a PS3 with CFW nowadays?
And does this emu let me play PS2 games from any region?
I'm still bitter that PSX games are region-locked on PS3.

I would assume that PS2 games run through the emu would region locked just like the PSX games are. Purely because of TV compatibility.

androvsky

Yeah, I know. Just felt like clarifying this, cause we cannot simply assume things like this: "Licensing has nothing to do with it.".

How would licensing have anything to do with it? Sony managed to move the entire PS1 library onto the PS2 with partial hardware BC, then moved it again onto PS2 slims with pure software(?) BC, then moved it again onto the PS3 with pure software BC. How is the entire PS1 library different from the PS2 library in terms of licensing? Sony designed all the major PS2 components, so it's not likely they're having internal licensing problems.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I would assume that PS2 games run through the emu would region locked just like the PSX games are. Purely because of TV compatibility.

Edit: like I assumed you can play any region, just check the compatibility list. YAY! Now to understand how difficult it would be to mod a PS3 amd if you can still play online and buy PSN games.
I wish people would try Gunbird 2, Ibara, Gradius V, Espgaluda, Bug Princess, Gran Turismo 3 with a wheel (!), Outrun 2 Coast to Coast and so on...

Why? I don't think the emu has a region-lock in place and that they reverse engineered a PAL version of the emu , a JPN version and also a US version of the emu. Even if that was the case it'd would be just a matter of installing the right one. TV compatibility got nothing to do with that, PS3 is region free you know. Plus many PS2 games had the option to run in PAL60; 480p or even straight 480i NTSC mode (ICO for example)

Also is there still input lag with PS1/2 emulation on PS3?

There's input lag? :/

That list is has a much higher proportion of officially emulated games than I expected, will be interesting to see how it grows and if there's any problem titles. Tourist Trophy is a good sign.
They would list a game if they try it and it doesn't work, right?

Nope, there were no issues back when they had the BC models. First it was hardware BC, then before it was discontinued, they sold software based BC models. Licensing has nothing to do with it.

there were no software based BC models. there was the model with the ee and Gs, and one with just the gs alone.

Wait, these are actually using an emulator? I always thought these classics were re-engineered to run on PS3.

What a dick move by Sony.

btkadams

are gamesaves that you use that memory card transfer accesory to put onto your ps3 available in the ps2 classic emulator? or are they locked away in a different menu? i was looking on my ps3 the other day and noticed there is a ps2 game save menu section as well as the ps/ps2 memory card game saves section.

if that's confusing to read, let me rephrase....would you be able to transfer an SSX game save from your PS2 memory card, via the offical ps3 memory card adapter, to your ps3, and then use it in this emulator?

Magnus

Am I the only one who didn't realize CFW on PS3 was a thing? I thought what's his name...Geohot was making progress on something when Linux was around, but that he was shut down.

Is CFW for PS3 in wide use right now?

Am I the only one who didn't realize CFW on PS3 was a thing? I thought what's his name...Geohot was making progress on something when Linux was around, but that he was shut down.

Is CFW for PS3 in wide use right now?

It can kill your psn account :|

Well that much was obvious, but I thought these were too, since newer PS3's didn't have PS2 hardware/BC the solution was to re-engineered title by title. Or make an emulator, which they apparently did.

Making an emulator when you have all of the documentation available to you is not the hard part. The hard part is getting every game to run FLAWLESSLY.

Re-engineering a PS2 game is very costly and requires the resources of a dedicated studio. Making a general-purpose emulator and optimizing titles one-by-one is MUCH more cost efficient.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
are gamesaves that you use that memory card transfer accesory to put onto your ps3 available in the ps2 classic emulator? or are they locked away in a different menu? i was looking on my ps3 the other day and noticed there is a ps2 game save menu section as well as the ps/ps2 memory card game saves section.

if that's confusing to read, let me rephrase....would you be able to transfer an SSX game save from your PS2 memory card, via the offical ps3 memory card adapter, to your ps3, and then use it in this emulator?

Yes. Since it's basically Sony's "virtual memory card" format.

PS2 and PSX saves can be transferred to and from that card adapter. Or to USB sticks if you use the XMB to transfer via USB.

HOWEVER the cards can't be done by USB. Has to be by those adapters.

ShowDog

I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm asking. How else am I supposed to ask?

This thread does suggest that games are 100% emulated and not ported as previously claimed by some folks.

Nothing is ported, everything is running by emulation. I think he thought you were using "100% emulation" to suggest that every game is running perfectly, which we cannot know to be the case.

There is a huge difference between an enthusiast emulator that seems to run everything well and a commercially viable solution that guarantees everything runs. Just look at the mess with 360 BC.

btkadams

PS2 and PSX saves can be transferred to and from that card adapter. Or to USB sticks if you use the XMB to transfer via USB.

thanks for the answer!

Making an emulator when you have all of the documentation available to you is not the hard part. The hard part is getting every game to run FLAWLESSLY.

Re-engineering a PS2 game is very costly and requires the resources of a dedicated studio. Making a general-purpose emulator and optimizing titles one-by-one is much, much more cost efficient.
You're missing the point entirely.

I thought they were charging for the games individually, as well as they being released quite sparsely because they were some how being re-engineered individually.

Instead they made an emulator, which means they could have just brought back BC in a firmware update, but instead they chose charge for the games.

Dick move.

androvsky

The PS2 Classics emulator handles saves differently than regular PS2 BC systems. You can't transfer saves from a real PS2 to a PS2 Classics save currently, although I expect that'll change eventually for the hacked systems.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Final Fantasy XII (International Zodiac Job System Patched)

Runs fullspeed. Very minor audio glitch on the confirmation sound.

http://i.imgur.com/7NOu0PXl.jpg

I've never done it but I heard it's complex. A quick look at the flash devices shows they cost around $100.

Now show Nocturne!

*mad Jelly* I have to hook up a PS2 for this because Sony won't allow this on Official Firmware Slims. NICE, Sony. :/

The PS2 Classics emulator handles saves differently than regular PS2 BC systems. You can't transfer saves from a real PS2 to a PS2 Classics save currently, although I expect that'll change eventually for the hacked systems.

Er-If you have the adapter it works the same. Copy via USB through the XMB.

PS3<->Adapter/Card XMB->PS2 virtual memory card (create)->O to back out of the card->X on "USB/PS2 Memory Card"->Find save you want/Triangle->Copy->PS2 virtual memory card->X/Yes->??????->PROFIT!

Sakujou

Banned
hi there, i want to buy a super slim especially for this purpose of playing ps2 classics.

i suppose its impossible???

does this also work with usb loader?

i have so many games and would like to archive them....

Top Bottom