• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Game Informer details

Kikujiro

Oh goody, Hitman thread 2.0.

I dunno about most people, but cynicism for this game has nothing to do with its supposed open-worldness - it's entirely down to the poor animation, overwrought tone, and the tired female-in-peril tropes.

She's a 20 years old in an insland alone trying to survive, where the hell do you see the female-in-peril tropes? Wanna bet she will be badass at the end of the game?

There's no Adam here, people saying it's like Other M are out of their minds.

~50% of GAF claimed in TR Trailer thread that the game will be linear Uncharted clone... They were wrong.

Because the trailer showed nothing about the open-world aspects of the game. People can only judge pieces of marketing based on what they're shown, just like how people were incredibly wary of Hitman before yesterday's gameplay video actually showed everyone what the game was like.

We'd heard that Tomb Raider was going to be open-world before, but all of the videos, including the E3 conference gameplay video, showed otherwise. You can't blame people for calling things as they see 'em.

She's a 20 years old in an insland alone trying to survive, where the hell do you see the female-in-peril tropes? Wanna bet she will be badass at the end of the game?

There's no Adam here, people saying it's like Other M are out of their minds.

Press X to not get molested!

dosh

I want to believe in this game so much. It's everything I've ever hoped for in an adventure/survival game since the buggy-yet-fantastic Deus.

patapuf

That sounds great, kind of like the metroid aproach to exploration. I hope they manage to integrate the systems well.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Can Lara climb trees? Have they said anything like that?

No she can fly :p

20120514tombraider_full.jpg

Majmun

Well, the Guardian of Light also used a EXP-like system. And we all know how you could get the most EXP...

Don't want to sound pessimistic. But earning EXP in games usually means you'll have to kill a lot of stuff. Sure, you'll earn XP by hunting down animals or discovering new places. But I'm just being sceptical about this whole EXP thing for now...

Well, the Guardian of Light also used a EXP-like system. And we all know how you could get the most EXP...

Don't want to sound pessimistic. But earning EXP in games usually means you'll have to kill a lot of stuff. Sure, you'll earn XP by hunting down animals or discovering new places. But I'm just being sceptical about this whole EXP thing for now...
From previous articles, I believe they hired someone to refine the aiming system. Older Tomb Raider games had plenty of shooting that broke up the platforming elements. It didn't detract or add much to the game except to add some atmosphere and pacing (T-Rex). If this game has good aiming mechanics and enemies, I can see it as complementary to the platforming and puzzles.

Salsa

- Don't expect much of the old linear platforming formula. "We're now giving the player the opportunity to go into a space and choose their own path. Where we take you across the ledge of the B-52 bomber, that's a tutorial. Once you move away from the plane, everything is basically open, dynamic traversal where the player has the freedom to roam around a jump from location to location with ease..."

me likes

pleseantly surprised since I hated that E3 trailer

Derrick01

Banned
~50% of GAF claimed in TR Trailer thread that the game will be linear Uncharted clone... They were wrong.

Do you want a cookie? All they showed was pretty linear cinematic gameplay. The E3 demo last year was almost on rails too, full of QTEs. People had good reason to be afraid. They still do IMO because nothing has been shown yet. Are we suddenly going to trust previews now, especially from Game Informer? Footage is the only answer.

If the tree-climbing is an actual element of the game then I'd be practically sold. Being able to scale nearly every obstacle on the island would be a huge feature. Not many games have accomplished that.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Do you want a cookie? All they showed was pretty linear cinematic gameplay. The E3 demo last year was almost on rails too, full of QTEs. People had good reason to be afraid. They still do IMO because nothing has been shown yet. Are we suddenly going to trust previews now, especially from Game Informer? Footage is the only answer.

Even then, I wouldn't expect much until the end of this year when they're closer to release. I think Deus Ex: Human Revolution showed poorly last E3, but once they had more hands on time with it (and the demo leak) people could see better how it was supposed to play.

I think the E3 demo will have a larger play area, but probably not a lot to do in it. It may assuage fears that its a linear QTE fest, but probably not enough substance to get a good feel where the game is actually going.

So is the platforming automated or ...?
I like the platforming in the old Tomb Raiders, made me feel all good inside when I made a jump.

cameron

Sounds great. It's got quite a bit of potential if they do allow minor direction/distance changes after you jump. I doubt it will be a cartoony super meat boy type of deal. Gameplay > Realism for me.

Though, if they do make the platforming more challenging, I wonder what will they do to make these sections more "accessible" for the casual crowd.

Also, I don't know what "Dynamic Traversal" means. In Underworld, the PR speak had "dynamic free climbing", which turned out to be super small and trivial rock climbing bits where the directional stick allowed you to move between handholds (instead of the usual ledge hopping).

patapuf

So is the platforming automated or ...?
I like the platforming in the old Tomb Raiders, made me feel all good inside when I made a jump.

from OP:
- You'll be able to air steer, direction control, speed her up/down during jumps

it's probably different than before but it won't be autmoated

Bruiserk

That recent trailer gave me the wrong impression, but these details seem good.

As long as the XP doesn't pop up with a "+100 KILL XP" overlay then I'm cool.

Mr_Zombie

thank you... so...

i found some concept art with
some monsters silent-hill-look like

Do you know something? O_O

The very first concept arts that leaked few years ago (when the game wasn't even announced) were showing them. It's a Tomb Raider game, so it's not really weird that at some point in the game
super-natural things
appear ;)

Xpliskin

Since it's an E3 trailer, I guess they had to show the most dynamic elements of their game to amaze the crowd. QTE's, cutscenes, etc .. while the game itself is basically semi-free.

Really nice to hear that.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

I forgot that applying logic and critical thinking to a situation is frowned upon.

If previews say a game is open world/semi open world (and why would I have any reason to distrust GI? "OMG GS?!" Please.), then you see a trailer designed to excite the senses and show off Lara as a character, and then from there you decide that it is a "linear Uncharted clone", you're an idiot. Sorry.

All the trailers for Far Cry 3 don't show anything about its open world nature either, but I know differently so I accept that, instead of saying "it seh coridour shoota!!!!"

Same with many many many games out there. Not showing open world features in a game trailer is common. For one, it is not exciting to watch, and secondly, it is hard to do effectively in a trailer.

TL;DR, use your freaking common sense.

Vc3nZ

Neo Member
The very first concept arts that leaked few years ago (when the game wasn't even announced) were showing them. It's a Tomb Raider game, so it's not really weird that at some point in the game
super-natural things
appear ;)

thanks!

Derrick01

Banned
I forgot that applying logic and critical thinking to a situation is frowned upon.

If previews say a game is open world/semi open world (and why would I have any reason to distrust GI? "OMG GS?!" Please.), then you see a trailer designed to excite the senses and show off Lara as a character, and then from there you decide that it is a "linear Uncharted clone", you're an idiot. Sorry.

All the trailers for Far Cry 3 don't show anything about its open world nature either, but I know differently so I accept that, instead of saying "it seh coridour shoota!!!!"

Same with many many many games out there. Not showing open world features in a game trailer is common. For one, it is not exciting to watch, and secondly, it is hard to do effectively in a trailer.

The very first time Far Cry 3 was announced it had a short but open demo, so you'd look pretty stupid if you said that. For what it's worth I was not one of the people bashing Tomb Raider because I knew it was semi-open from the start, but I would never take Game Informer's word for it nor do I necessarily even believe they know the difference between open and semi-open gameplay.

But I want to whine about incomplete trailers and extrapolate them to full games. Then blame the developer for leading me to conclusions based on marketing trailers that show off new features and ideas that will attract new fans to old franchises then later reveal the legacy gameplay artifacts to said new fans. It's like they are holding me hostage with all these text developer interviews I can't trust and forcing me to think these teasers as the real game.

Soroc

-

- You'll be able to air steer, direction control, speed her up/down during jumps

Everything sounds great. A nice new direction for Lara. I like it being an origin and her not being like the Lara we all remember either.

Gotta break her down to let her rise a new.

The above though sounds weird to me. especially air steering

UrbanRats

I don't really know what to make of this, is basically a rethread of they said in the past game informer issue, but the last trailer has burned me so much, that i'll wait the microsoft conference gameplay, before i pass judgment.

Top Bottom