• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

My wife would, but she's scared to death she'll mess up and get the wrong thing or pay the wrong price. Buying retro games is pretty complicated compared to snagging Dead Space 2 off Amazon.

binary

After seeing this thread, I decided to hook up my Saturn again after a six year hiatus. Jumped back into Panzer Dragoon Saga last night. I've made it as far as the third disc, but I'm determined to finish it once and for all this time. Gotta go pick up a CR2032 battery first!

Are there any easy ways to improve the picture on an HDTV? Keep in mind, I don't have an S-video input.

gondwana

After seeing this thread, I decided to hook up my Saturn again after a six year hiatus. Jumped back into Panzer Dragoon Saga last night. I've made it as far as the third disc, but I'm determined to finish it once and for all this time. Gotta go pick up a CR2032 battery first!

Are there any easy ways to improve the picture on an HDTV? Keep in mind, I don't have an S-video input.

Possibly a scan line generator. Though, if you have the room for one, you can probably find a fairly nice CRT for cheap or free on Craig's.

Vark

You can get a SCART RGB cable for your Saturn for pretty cheap, then get a SCART RGB to Component adaptor.

High end ones are pricey but I bought one of these and it works fine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SCART-R...s_Adapters&hash=item3362ac07d1#ht_1466wt_1385

Edit:

I should note these are cheap because they aren't format converters. It takes a 15hz RBG signal and outputs a 15hz Component signal, it's then up to your TV to convert the SD signal to whatever HD format it prefers. So it'll all fall on your TV's scaler. I have a plasma and it does a great job at it, not sure about LCDs.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is one of the best saturn games, period. Anybody who is disappointed with it doesn't deserve a saturn.

This is most definately true. Zwei is a fantastic game, and the best "lock on" shoot'em'up ever.

Funny thing is that I bought zwei & saga both just after they'd came out; zwei cost me £10 more...I do wonder what the print run was to bloat out the price so much over the last 12 or so years. Couldn't have made many more copies then Taromaru ended up with.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This is most definately true. Zwei is a fantastic game, and the best "lock on" shoot'em'up ever.

Funny thing is that I bought zwei & saga both just after they'd came out; zwei cost me £10 more...I do wonder what the print run was to bloat out the price so much over the last 12 or so years. Couldn't have made many more copies then Taromaru ended up with.

I only played the first two levels of Zwei... and only the first level of Orta... and like the first half of the original game in the PS2 remake. I'm a bad Panzer Dragoon fan :(

Really loved what I played... so I'm not sure why I haven't gotten through any more of the games than that.

I only played the first two levels of Zwei... and only the first level of Orta... and like the first half of the original game in the PS2 remake. I'm a bad Panzer Dragoon fan :(

Really loved what I played... so I'm not sure why I haven't gotten through any more of the games than that.

I'm of the opinion that, pound for pound, PDZ is better than Star Fox 64. And SF64 is my favorite N64 and 3DS game by a wide margin.

EDIT: In case you're not aware, PDZ has a branching paths sort of like outrun. At certain parts of the level, depending on if you're on the right or left side of the screen, you'll go down different paths and go to different levels. So even if you play the game once, you still haven't seen all the levels.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm of the opinion that, pound for pound, PDZ is better than Star Fox 64. And SF64 is my favorite N64 and 3DS game by a wide margin.

EDIT: In case you're not aware, PDZ has a branching paths sort of like outrun. At certain parts of the level, depending on if you're on the right or left side of the screen, you'll go down different paths and go to different levels. So even if you play the game once, you still haven't seen all the levels.

Oh that's right... and isn't there some levelling up in that too, or something? I dunno. It's a crazy game.

Then you've got to finish opening Pandora's Box...

Yup, that's why I love the Panzer Dragoon games. Great arcade shmup action that normally isn't quite enough to fill a full game, but with a ton of content added to turn it into something meaty. And, despite how full the game is, it doesn't feel like it's loaded down with filler. Just a weighty, beefy game. The entire series is like that (save Saga, which actually is pretty lean).

Yup, that's why I love the Panzer Dragoon games. Great arcade shmup action that normally isn't quite enough to fill a full game, but with a ton of content added to turn it into something meaty. And, despite how full the game is, it doesn't feel like it's loaded down with filler. Just a weighty, beefy game. The entire series is like that (save Saga, which actually is pretty lean).

Agreed. I can forgive saga for being lean though...it is still the only proper console game I've ever played with full npc voice overs. That blew me away first time through.

Agreed. I can forgive saga for being lean though...it is still the only proper console game I've ever played with full npc voice overs. That blew me away first time through.

I'm not an RPG guy, so I actually really appreciate the lack of glut in PDS. It makes it an incredibly brisk game that is constantly moving, without any real drag. Because it's an RPG at heart, that it's lean actually puts it's completion time around the same length as the other Panzer Dragoon games.

I adore that series so much. when I got my saturn in 1995, I got Virtua Fighter, Bug!, Astal, and Panzer Dragoon. Astal is a great game, but Panzer Dragoon was really the crown jewel in that pick up. Without that game, I get the feeling that my first impression of the Saturn would have been quite sour.

I adore that series so much. when I got my saturn in 1995, I got Virtua Fighter, Bug!, Astal, and Panzer Dragoon. Astal is a great game, but Panzer Dragoon was really the crown jewel in that pick up. Without that game, I get the feeling that my first impression of the Saturn would have been quite sour.

Yeah, it was a tough first couple of years thanks to sega's mismanagement. Wasn't until later I could pick one up, the price tag was monumental (something like £400).

Picked up a Model 2 Sega Saturn at my Goodwill last week for twenty bucks, even though I already had a working Model 1. It just looked like a lost puppy that needed a home...I couldn't say no being an old-school Sega fanboy.

That said, are there any real differences between the two models, other then cosmetically?

SkylineRKR

I bought a USB Saturn pad back for 20 bucks or so, around 2008. It was one by SLS. It feels 100% identical to my real Saturn pad.

Are those SLS ones also fakes? Best fake ever in that case.

Theonik

I bought a USB Saturn pad back for 20 bucks or so, around 2008. It was one by SLS. It feels 100% identical to my real Saturn pad.

Are those SLS ones also fakes? Best fake ever in that case.
The SLS ones are official Sega iirc, but they don't use the same moulds as the old Saturn pads so although they are close they aren't exactly identical. Play Sega ones are also official Sega ones but significantly worse than the SLS ones and were given for free* to push Sega's DD platform *free with a subscription while stock lasted.

Real SLS ones are pretty expensive nowadays unfortunately.
What I did instead was I bought a cheap chinese knock off and a real Japanese pad with a defective PCB. Just gut the PCB from the cheap controller, resolder the original Saturn triggers on the new PCB and place everything on the real saturn case and you're good to go with a cheap USB saturn controller in about 5 minutes of work and some soldering skills.

Seik

Banned
Bumpity bump! Time to show the Saturn some more love! :D

I just got this gem last week, big thanks to goldenpp72 who sold it to me!

P84mh.jpg

It's great to go back on this one, its been years since I went through MM8 on PSX. I never really had the Saturn version, but I wanted it for the little extras this version have and it kind of completes my MM Saturn collection. :D

If someone is interested in those differences: Click here.

Here's some shots, works perfectly on SSF. Love the intro, I like how it quickly shows many bosses from the previous titles.

aeW4k.png
HTFY5.png

The gameplay is neat, animations are fluid. Good old Mega Man at his best and yeah, there's definitely some key spots where there is a lot more of enemies than its PSX counterpart.

jK6wP.png
yk2se.png

EDIT: I've been playing for a while, just reached some exclusive stuff! :D

D9OPJ.png
GyrEu.png

''Cut it out, Cutman!'' XD

Ramune

"It's oberWily!"
"Nehehehehe"

Such memories. ^_^
Good find, as it's easy to to pay a lot for the Saturn version compared to the much more common PS1 version that's been ported to PS2 & Gamecube.

I did something similar a few years ago, but went with the Japanese Rockman 8 since I already had the US Playstation version, and wanted a version in Japanese as well as have the Saturn "extras"! Love it!

This talk about Panzer Dragoon Zwei has me wanting to fire that back up. I loved what I played (first two levels) and made even my "Saturn 3D sucks" roommate impressed with the leap in detail after playing a bit of Panzer Dragoon 1 for a bit....which is another game I need to spend some time with as well as finish! Better than Starfox 64?! I gotta see for myself now!

Panzer Dragoon Orta is the best in the series, and is still beautiful all these years later

and no, it's not better then Star Fox 64

meppi

Panzer Dragoon Orta is the best in the series, and is still beautiful all these years later

Lol, not even close. Prettier graphics don't make a better game. I wouldn't put Orta anywhere near the perfection that Zwei is.

I'd put Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Saga on top, even though they are completely different games, then Orta, after that PD1 and finally Panzer Dragoon Mini, which isn't very good.

Seik

Banned
Just bought this on Ebay, this will be VERY useful in my case. I don't know why I waited so long. ^^

ZMSvk.png

For the Star Fox/Panzer Dragoon argument...the only thing I can say is that I love both, equally. I knew Star Fox since I was a kid but the PD series blew my mind when I first tried it 5 years ago. Both are wonderful series, except that Star Fox went downward after 64 and Orta kept it good.

"It's oberWily!"
"Nehehehehe"

Such memories. ^_^
Good find, as it's easy to to pay a lot for the Saturn version compared to the much more common PS1 version that's been ported to PS2 & Gamecube.

I did something similar a few years ago, but went with the Japanese Rockman 8 since I already had the US Playstation version, and wanted a version in Japanese as well as have the Saturn "extras"! Love it!

This talk about Panzer Dragoon Zwei has me wanting to fire that back up. I loved what I played (first two levels) and made even my "Saturn 3D sucks" roommate impressed with the leap in detail after playing a bit of Panzer Dragoon 1 for a bit....which is another game I need to spend some time with as well as finish! Better than Starfox 64?! I gotta see for myself now!

Well I already have Rockman 8 on Saturn, the thing is that its new/sealed and I'm not going to unwrap it anytime soon, that's why I went with the US version. :p

RiZ III

Orta was good, but it wasn't anywhere as good as Zwei for me. The pacing and music in Zwei was much better. Orta was really really good too though.

TaroYamada

Gotta land on the Panzer Dragoon > Starfox side, I was a Nintendo fanboy as a kid, but the world in Panzer Dragoon is unrivaled. The Moebius influence did wonders for the sense of immersion I have with the PD games.

Orta was good, but it wasn't anywhere as good as Zwei for me. The pacing and music in Zwei was much better. Orta was really really good too though.

The first is my personal fav (of the shooters). I like the simplicity of it. There was a point when I had all the enemy patterns in memory and could 100% each level.

Just bought this on Ebay, this will be VERY useful in my case. I don't know why I waited so long. ^^

ZMSvk.png

Wow, I could use one of those...up until recently Saturn to USB converters became scarce, now I've seen a few pop up. (although right now, I working on making a Keio Sat>PSX converter for myself to use with Virtual ON...damn soldering)

Boerseun

Banned
The interesting thing about Panzer Dragoon Orta was that it started development as a Gamecube exclusive but Microsoft moneyhatted the thing on to Xbox where it proved a bad fit with that crowd.

I even remember reading an interview with one of the devs who said he wished they had kept it on Gamecube as the game would have received much more recognition that way, whereas today it is very much a forgotten gem that few people know or talk about.

Virtual Hydlide has some pretty embarrassing digitized graphics, and the game is supposed to be horrible... never played it myself though.

Virtual Hydlide would have been awesome had they just gotten rid of the horrible sprite in the center of the screen and made the thing first-person. Heck, the sprite doesn't interact with the world in any meaningful way. There really is no good reason why it's there.

Awesome little system, catalog is so huge.

Saturn has a great library but no single region has access to anything like a complete list of available titles. Anyone who wants to play the best of what's available on Saturn necessarily has be willing to import. I can only imagine how much stronger Saturn would have been had all the titles come out in all three regions.

Ramune

ZMSvk.png

For the Star Fox/Panzer Dragoon argument...the only thing I can say is that I love both, equally. I knew Star Fox since I was a kid but the PD series blew my mind when I first tried it 5 years ago. Both are wonderful series, except that Star Fox went downward after 64 and Orta kept it good.

Well I already have Rockman 8 on Saturn, the thing is that its new/sealed and I'm not going to unwrap it anytime soon, that's why I went with the US version. :p

I have to find myself one of those, even though I have 1 Saturn USB pad.
Star Fox's only failing was not remaining an on-rails shooter. ^_^;

And my Rockman 8 was new and sealed at the time...and I opened it to play it. Ha ha! ;)

The interesting thing about Panzer Dragoon Orta was that it started development as a Gamecube exclusive but Microsoft moneyhatted the thing on to Xbox where it proved a bad fit with that crowd.

I never knew that! Of course at the time, the Xbox was seen as Dreamcast's successor by many, so it kinda made sense. Too bad that little title was sent to sink instead of swim. Can't wait to fire that one up too. My roommate has a surprising among of good Xbox 1 games which Orta is a part of. Just need to finish the first two....

Seik

Banned
Saturn has a great library but no single region has access to anything like a complete list of available titles. Anyone who wants to play the best of what's available on Saturn necessarily has be willing to import. I can only imagine how much stronger Saturn would have been had all the titles come out in all three regions.

True that. The moment I got my Saturn I called an 'Action Replay 4in1' for future imports because I got told by a friend that a big part of the Saturn's potential were Japanese titles.

Words of wisdom.

Games like Rockman X3, Street Fighter Zero 3, ALL THOSE AWESOME EFFIN' SHMUPS!

So many shmups, just so many.

Yes Boss!

True that. The moment I got my Saturn I called an 'Action Replay 4in1' for future imports because I got told by a friend that a big part of the Saturn's potential were Japanese titles.

Words of wisdom.

Games like Rockman X3, Street Fighter Zero 3, ALL THOSE AWESOME EFFIN' SHMUPS!

So many shmups, just so many.

True that. I've got 43 Saturn games...and thirty five of the are shooters. The rest are platformers/action with the exception on Panzer Dragoon Saga. Incidentally, I've got a japanese Saturn and PDS is the american version. I also have a 4in1 and there is supposed to be some code that makes it work...have not tried it yet.

I've been having "Sunday Morning SHMUP" sessions for awhile now. I don't know what it is, but I have this strong urge to play a lot of shmups every Sunday morning. For now and the foreseeable future it's a solo affair. It would be pretty awesome if I could find a local venue where I could host so some friends could stop in for breakfast and bullet dodging®.

Anyway, it was all Saturn shmups this morning. A Sega Saturn Sunday, if you will... What ever happened to Max's Sega Saturn Saturdays?

I started out with Hyper Duel and wasn't feeling it. I was out of practice and having difficulty breaking through the 6th stage. Seriously, fuck that boss. So I rolled the TV on its side for the Battle Garegga demo included on the Soukyugurentai Otokuyo disc. This was probably in anticipation for the arrival of my copy later this week. Then I alternated between DoDonPachi and Galactic Attack for a bit. I don't care what anyone says, Saturn DDP is a damned good port when played in TATE.

Yep, nothing like Sunday morning coffee, Eggos and Sega Saturn.

meppi

I don't care what anyone says, Saturn DDP is a damned good port when played in TATE.

On it's own, it certainly is. It's only when comparing it to the other versions that you start to notice the little details missing like some of the pixilated explosions and burning suff on the ground or the emblems.
But it plays just fine.

I'm pretty sure you'll end up loving Battle Garegga. Not the easiest one to get into at first, but once it clicks, it's incredible.
And triggering all those little birds in the beginning of stage 2 and racking up massive points afterwards never ever gets old! :)

Yes Boss!

Any kind soul want let me know what this says?

I just started getting it on boot up. I also just put in an Action Replay. I only have 34 save blocks left in system memory so maybe it is warning me I'm getting low?

5757048F-5943-4845-80A1-FD65B582C387-11951-00000CEDADFE24BC.jpg

Also, got to try out the Saturn/PS adapter. Works like a champ...recommended!

B03F8330-19D4-48AD-A056-D1A788AC8E2A-11951-00000CEFC2382172.jpg

Chairhome

Any kind soul want let me know what this says?

I just started getting it on boot up. I also just put in an Action Replay. I only have 34 save blocks left in system memory so maybe it is warning me I'm getting low?

5757048F-5943-4845-80A1-FD65B582C387-11951-00000CEDADFE24BC.jpg

Also, got to try out the Saturn/PS adapter. Works like a champ...recommended!

B03F8330-19D4-48AD-A056-D1A788AC8E2A-11951-00000CEFC2382172.jpg

Is it the action replay with the extra RAM? I see the word RAM there.

Top Bottom