• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

guek

Banned
What was careless about those movies? Serious question. Especially in BvS, unless you mean Batman and Superman knowing each other?

Well Lois figures out Superman's civilian identity rather easily but there's no allusion in either film of the government being in on that when it should be pretty obvious. And then there's the problem with Lex figuring out Superman and Batman's secret identities off screen and then not using that information to his advantage at all once he's arrested. It's just incredibly off putting to have something that's so intrinsic to both characters be so casually dismissed as unimportant. The villain discovering the hero's identity is usually treated as a point of greater significance. None of that is movie breaking but it does go against established norms more for convenience sake rather than for a narrative purpose.

It also bugs me that Waller, a government official, knows Batman's identity at the end of Suicide Squad and is complicit with his activities outside of the law.

IconGrist

It also bugs me that Waller, a government official, knows Batman's identity at the end of Suicide Squad and is complicit with his activities outside of the law.

This same Amanda Waller that murdered a room full of agents in cold blood?

guek

Banned
This same Amanda Waller that murdered a room full of agents in cold blood?

I can be bugged by more than one thing!

But specifically in the case of Batman, Waller is such a control freak that I don't buy that she'd let him do what he wants outside of the law.

Waller tends to know Batman's identity, because that's who she is. She occasionally uses it as leverage over him.

Anyway, there's a huge difference between sharing your identity with a team and going public with it. MCU Spidey and Batman fall into the former, as do most CW DC characters and Daredevil on Netflix. Want to say Iron Man is the only major change, and they joked about the bodyguard excuse not working in the first movie.

guek

Banned
Iron Man is kind of a unique case since he started off with a secret identity in the comics but it became public knowledge decades ago.

Ashhong

Well Lois figures out Superman's civilian identity rather easily but there's no allusion in either film of the government being in on that when it should be pretty obvious. And then there's the problem with Lex figuring out Superman and Batman's secret identities off screen and then not using that information to his advantage at all once he's arrested. It's just incredibly off putting to have something that's so intrinsic to both characters be so casually dismissed as unimportant. The villain discovering the hero's identity is usually treated as a point of greater significance. None of that is movie breaking but it does go against established norms more for convenience sake rather than for a narrative purpose.

I get it now. It kind of goes with Snyder's whole style of doing things off screen and kind of jumping into the world without covering plot points. For better or for worse.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
New short interview with Zack about the trailer

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...-team-in-new-justice-league-trailer/99569374/

Batman takes the lead in putting together a new super-team to protect Earth. “He’s been a loner for certainly his crime-fighting career, maybe with the exception of Robin,” Snyder says. “When we meet him in BvS, he’s definitely at this low point of isolation. That was always our intention, that Justice League would be this continuation for Batman to evolve into a more complete hero.”

More at the link

Ashhong

New short interview with Zack about the trailer

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...-team-in-new-justice-league-trailer/99569374/

More at the link

From there I came across this article, never read it before

The extra content includes reporter Clark Kent investigating Batman’s vigilante antics, as well as the deleted role of a helpful scientist (Jena Malone). Also restored are small, fan-friendly details such as Batman wanting Lex locked up in Arkham Asylum rather than the supervillain prison Belle Reve that factors heavily into Suicide Squad (in theaters Aug. 5).

Zack Snyder crafted the first cinematic meeting — and subsequent fisticuffs — between Batman and Superman. Offscreen, though, the director was in for a battle of another sort.

Since March, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice has rung up $330.4 million at the box office — more than $872 million worldwide — and ranks as the year's fifth-biggest movie to date. But the superhero film was also slammed with negativity, from scathing reviews to online vitriol from fans who thought Snyder was ruining the legacies of the Dark Knight (played by Ben Affleck) and Man of Steel (Henry Cavill).

The journey has been a “rocky road,” Snyder tells USA TODAY in an exclusive interview ahead of the movie's home-viewing release. Even he thought the heroes would lose luster in his eyes after the unpleasant experience, “but every day, I wake up and these characters still have tons to say to me about the world and about heroes. I feel renewed vigor to really get their voices heard.”

Will bad reviews take down 'Batman v Superman'?
The filmmaker says he continued to love BvS in the aftermath, when people drew up petitions asking Warner Bros. to boot him from the follow-up Justice League (in theaters Nov. 17, 2017) — even as Snyder was in pre-production. “That part was a little bit distracting,” he says, calling from London after a day of filming.

Hardest to deal with was the perception that he wasn’t being “true to canon” and didn’t adore these characters. “That was upsetting and made me evaluate myself and where I was with the movies and what I wanted to say with them."

Fans will see Snyder’s true BvS vision in a three-hour Ultimate Edition director’s cut that arrives June 28 on digital platforms and July 19 on Blu-ray/DVD. The new R-rated edition adds a half-hour back to the plot that finds Batman and Superman overcoming disagreements and teaming with Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot) to stop Lex Luthor (Jesse Eisenberg) and the destructive Doomsday.

Plus, there’s bonus material considered “too violent” and “too sexy” for a PG-13 rating, Snyder says. (Batman dishes out more pain in fights, and Clark lingers longer in a bathtub with Amy Adams' Lois Lane.)

Prepping Justice League, Snyder monitored Internet chatter about Dawn of Justice for the good and especially the bad. “It’s been an interesting experience to analyze the negative stuff to find out what the point of view is," he says. "How do I move forward and use that constructively?"

He has taken a lot of the criticism to heart, particularly in terms of tone, though Justice League was always going to be more uplifting than BvS for its team-building aspect alone. He says the next movie will be a celebration of these heroes.

Dawn of Justice ended with Batman inspired by Superman’s sacrifice to be a good man and “to be awesome,” says Snyder. "That message, that humanity can do better and Batman wanting to nurture that, is the place I want to go.”

Funny that he still was like, people hated guns? ADD MORE GUNS!!!! Obviously because of parademons and whatnot, but still funny lol

Penguin

Eh she knows his identity in the comics and animated series as well.

I honestly think secret identities is one of those things that only works in comics. It's become a pain in the arse in a lot of DC TV shows. It was one of the low points of Daredevil season 1.

And most comic book movies do away with it.

By Spider-man 2 like everyone knows Peter is Spider-man. Lois figures out Clark's identity in Superman 2. Almost everyone figures out Bruce's identity in the original quadrilogy.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea how much any of this matters, but the JL trailer doing work in terms of social media buzz

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/justice-league-spider-man-homecoming-social-media-buzz-1202017388/

most-talked-about-movies-3-27-17.jpg

Ashhong

It does feel weird that the trailer is out and being promoted before Wonder Woman is released. The other day the JL trailer came on as an ad in front of a YouTube video. I've never had a WW trailer do that.

Hopefully the JL hype will help the WW hype as well

LionPride

Banned
It does feel weird that the trailer is out and being promoted before Wonder Woman is released. The other day the JL trailer came on as an ad in front of a YouTube video. I've never had a WW trailer do that.

Hopefully the JL hype will help the WW hype as well
It won't. I think it's not a smart idea to not try and hype up WW more and more, but I don't run a company. What do I know

It's bound to happen when you're releasing multiple films a year. Remember, Suicide Squad had that killer trailer that released two months before Batman v Superman. Justice League will now go dark until Comic Con if I had to guess. Wonder Woman will get the spotlight for the next 8-10 weeks until release.

No one deserves Cyborg..😏

Why people care about cyborg that much? Too me he's just rounding up the team and bringing diversity to it. Not something that would cause me to complain about him when I'm getting the JL on the big screen for the 1st time. Good things shouldn't be taken for granted in my opinion.

Why people care about cyborg that much? Too me he's just rounding up the team and bringing diversity to it. Not something that would cause me to complain about him when I'm getting the JL on the big screen for the 1st time. Good things shouldn't be taken for granted in my opinion.

It's about as simple as you personally don't care, but others do. Like broccoli. You might love that stuff, but I'll commit an act of violence if someone brings that vile weed into my kitchen lol..

Generally, it's because he's seen as taking a spot from a more interesting character. And why when talking diversity, they'd want John Stewart GL or Martian Manhunter, who tends to take the form of a black man.

I don't necessarily disagree, but Cyborg ties into JL story better than others. Had they gone with white martians, that'd be a different story.

LionPride

Banned
Sure,I understand that, but why do they care?
Because fuck Cyborg with the Justice League honestly. So many better options for the black minority then that boring fuck.

I hate John Stewart GL, put his ass in a movie over Cyborg.

Or ya know, Martian Manhunter.

Or anyone but Cyborg

Sure,I understand that, but why do they care?

Well, for myself, I grew up with a Justice League that didn't have him in it. I understand I'm not getting it, but I'd have preferred GL or the Martian. Cyborg isn't a character I was ever into. He was more my kid's speed (Teen Titans and all that).

Can't really speak for anyone else..

My only hope is that his solo movie turns into Teen Titans and he ends up with the Titans and leaves the JL after, bringing in Martian Manhunter.

I do wonder though, if this is what Snyder wanted the lineup to be or if it was a mandate by DC to reflect the current lineup in the comics
and to try and make Cyborg a thing

Ninjimbo

Rita's. In the jewelry store there is only strands of cloth covering her nipples. Everything else is visible. And I wouldn't be surprised if they still had to airbrush them out.
This sounds kinda hot.

Anyways, I think you guys are too hard on Cyborg lol. The only exposure I have on him is Teen Titans and he had a pretty good arc in that show. I think seeing him come to grips with the fact that he's a living weapon could be pretty interesting. Hopefully he can transform.

Tabby

Because he's a boring as fuck character, he belongs in the Titans and there's way better options; Martian Manhunter; John Stewart.

If we're on about diversity then why are there no Asian superheroes? why is there only one female? Why do Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash and Aquaman all have black/brown hair?

IconGrist

While I don't think Cyborg is a great addition I do have to question why people think the Martian Manhunter is a good idea. He's basically Superman with the ability shapeshift. Cyborg's race might not have been the only factor when it came to including him. His power set is unique among the other Leaguers. And we're likely getting Jon Stewart anyway so I wouldn't fret that one too much. But then again I hear complaints all the time that Stewart sucks so....

I never really got behind the idea of a cyborg solo movie, I don't think the character can carry an interesting movie by himself.

I always thought the most interesting fact about the cyborg lore is how he hang around with a group of sidekicks of well known heroes. It was basically him with batman jr., flash JR. aquaman jr and so on...

I would be down with jessica cruz as the lantern though, she has some creepy "relationship" with her ring.

I never really got behind the idea of a cyborg solo movie, I don't think the character can carry an interesting movie by himself.

I always thought the most interesting fact about the cyborg lore is how he hang around with a group of sidekicks of well known heroes. It was basically him with batman jr., flash JR. aquaman jr and so on...

I would be down with jessica cruz as the lantern though, she has some creepy "relationship" with her ring.

This is stupid. Every character can carry a movie, even Robocop.

Top Bottom