• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2010-2011 Offseason Thread of Yawn the NL Wins Again, What Else is New?

Status
Not open for further replies.
mYm|17| said:
No wonder the Angels lost the bid on CC. It was for 6/108 :lol

They should just sign Beltre and Soriano already

Jon Heyman said the Angels' offer to Crawford was 6 years, $124 million.

They have to sign Beltre now.

Sanjuro

yankeehater said:
I am so happy to see the Sox get Crawford, to bad they are not serious about singing Lee.
For the years they are looking at I probably wouldn't want Lee.

Yankees are in full kiss-ass mode, I'd be shocked if he re-signed with Texas.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
For the years they are looking at I probably wouldn't want Lee.

Yankees are in full kiss-ass mode, I'd be shocked if he re-signed with Texas.

I dont really want 6 or 7 years of Lee, I just dont want the Yankees to get 3 or 4 good years out of him. I really hope someone steps up and blocks them. Go Nats!

Corran Horn said:
No one has traded for Zito or Rowand yet?

Damnit!

The sports talk radio in Philly the other day ways trying to get fans fired up about Rowand coming back, but every single caller said they wouldnt want him back. It was pretty funny.

340x_9e5.jpg

HELL YEAH MOTHERFUCKER!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

how is texas' situation now any materially different from the rangers' in 2000.

i'll give you one thing: the TV deal that kicks in in like 5 years. you know, 5/6ths or 5/7ths of the way through a lee deal!

Sanjuro

Y2Kev said:
how is texas' situation now any materially different from the rangers' in 2000.

i'll give you one thing: the TV deal that kicks in in like 5 years. you know, 5/6ths or 5/7ths of the way through a lee deal!
Offensively? They are still going to score a ton of runs. I don't see any other team in that division doing anything better. They will need to stabilize the pitching to do anything relevant in the postseason, so Lee might be worth it for them. I still think either way they will make a trade deadline type deal. They knew what they wanted and was serious about obtaining Lee before anyone.

With A-Rod it really didn't do anything for the franchise like last season brought to the area. There was never any real hope of the postseason or greater.

Y2Kev

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Offensively? They are still going to score a ton of runs. I don't see any other team in that division doing anything better. They will need to stabilize the pitching to do anything relevant in the postseason, so Lee might be worth it for them. I still think either way they will make a trade deadline type deal. They knew what they wanted and was serious about obtaining Lee before anyone.

With A-Rod it really didn't do anything for the franchise like last season brought to the area. There was never any real hope of the postseason or greater.
What? What are you TALKING about? I'm talking about his deal tying up their financial resources and making them considerably less flexible to do anything. They're trying to move Michael Young for chrissake.

Sanjuro

Y2Kev said:
What? What are you TALKING about? I'm talking about his deal tying up their financial resources and making them considerably less flexible to do anything. They're trying to move Michael Young for chrissake.
You weren't talking about anything. You made a vague statement about A-Rod which could have meant a numerous amount of things followed by an even vaguer post asking me to shut up.

If you are talking about their assets being tied up, just look at their division. No offense to the M's, A's, and LAAoAAAA fans, but none of them are anywhere close. I don't think it's going to take alot. I have no idea what they are thinking currently, no.

Y2Kev

Yeah, comparing Lee to Arod ten years ago makes much more sense to talk about them as you have done.

Arod was actually more valuable from 2001 to 2003 than any player I could find. I did not mean they would "get stuck with one of the most valuable players in baseball over the next 3 seasons."

Sanjuro

They are two different situations...like I already have said.

Sure, A-Rod was good. The team had practically zero talent besides him. The team is much more stacked now. Lee is more of a gamble.

I mean did anyone take Texas seriously even remotely?

Sanjuro

These vague responses aren't really helpful. I mean even the others who posted didn't know what you were talking about. Neither do I, I didn't figure any of this was even debatable.

rareside

As a Ranger die-hard, I'm not quite sure if I want Lee for 7 years or not. It seems silly because it's not my money and even if we overpay we're going to be fine for the immediate future. We went to the damn World Series last year. Ownership should be doing everything in their power to make this work.

But 7 years... Damn, I'll be 35 when that ends. FUCK.

Y2Kev

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
These vague responses aren't really helpful. I mean even the others who posted didn't know what you were talking about. Neither do I, I didn't figure any of this was even debatable.
Sanjuro, you are disingenuous here. The other posters responded to me telling you to shut up. Because you make less sense than the little Christmas bear figurine I have that sings "hump hump humpity dump dump dumpity Merry Christmas" and poops candy. They were not responding to my "Texas is going to arod themselves."

Let's look at the context and then follow this discussion.

1. Following a series of posts discussing contract length and dollar value, I say Texas will arod themselves if they do win.

2. You say they are two materially different situations.

3. I ask how the situations are materially different and clarify exactly what I meant.

4. You continue on a rambling path about the actual quality of the team, which is not at all what I was talking about. And you know this, because I was talking now about revenue streams.

5. I clarify again and say they are not materially different; however, even if we were on your terms, I do not understand the Arod vs. Lee argument. You are talking about Lee being a gamble, whatever, it has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

6. You repeat that the situations are different.

Do you follow what I am saying? Is this more helpful?

Doytch

WTF is going on?

2001-2003, the Rangers best players were ARod, Rafael Palmeiro and Kenny fucking Rogers. The WAR leaderboards for those teams are a joke. The rest of the team was pitiful, and even with two Alex Rodrigi the team wouldn't make the WS. This is not debatable.

Texas is a much better team now, and right now would be the time where the $/WAR they want to spend should be the highest. Marginal wins for them are hugely important.

Y2Kev

Doytch said:
WTF is going on?

2001-2003, the Rangers best players were ARod, Rafael Palmeiro and Kenny fucking Rogers. The WAR leaderboards for those teams are a joke. The rest of the team was pitiful, and even with two Alex Rodrigi the team wouldn't make the WS. This is not debatable.

Texas is a much better team now, and right now would be the time where the $/WAR they want to spend should be the highest. Marginal wins for them are hugely important.
Yes, they are a much better team. I do not disagree. This is not to say they will not need to spend on pieces (particularly as many players move into arbitration).

I'm still not talking about $/war. I agree. They should be maximizing that spend.

Doytch

Y2Kev said:
Yes, they are a much better team. I do not disagree. This is not to say they will not need to spend on pieces (particularly as many players move into arbitration).
Which is why they should trade Michael Young for stuff that they use to trade for Ricky Nolasco and sign Adrian Beltre. Shit is bulletproof.

rareside

Doytch said:
WTF is going on?

We also had HERBERT PERRY! Not sure how you forgot about him.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
well their payroll is around 65 million or so, so add lee and its around 85-90. Dallas is a huge market, and they just went to the WS, have a new TV contract and a new owner. I don't think they will have any trouble with their budget and arbitration players in the future. 130-140 mil payroll seems doable.

Y2Kev

Doytch said:
Which is why they should trade Michael Young for stuff that they use to trade for Ricky Nolasco and sign Adrian Beltre. Shit is bulletproof.
I don't actually think we're that far off. I think Beltre's market has kind of had the bottom fall out, but I think it makes more sense for them to make a move like that than end up with a 7/160 contract. That's where I made my comparison.

I'm SORRY TO SANJURO that it wasn't immediately clear.

Windu said:
130-140 mil payroll seems doable.
really?

Doytch

rareside said:
We also had HERBERT PERRY! Not sure how you forgot about him.
No lie, when I was looking at the starters for the 2002 team I turned up my nose and asked myself "Who the fuck is Herbert Perry and how did he have an OPS+ above 100?"

Windu said:
well their payroll is around 65 million or so, so add lee and its around 85-90. Dallas is a huge market, and they just went to the WS, have a new TV contract and a new owner. I don't think they will have any trouble with their budget and arbitration players in the future. 130-140 mil payroll seems doable.

I remember reading somewhere that all that talk of a new TV contract and new ownership meaning more money to spend was BS and they are going to spend the next few years using that money to pay back debts or some shit.

Sanjuro

No, I make plenty of sense to what I was speaking about. Your original post had no link to "monopoly money" discussion and nothing was crystal clear until your last posting. I wasn't looking to debate or even go on this long about anything relevant to that because...well it simply isn't.

The others switched the topic to Ray's discussion. I'm not really looking to argue or throw insults around.

Y2Kev

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings101110

the tv deal doesn't even kick in until 2015.

For another, Rumblings was told, the new Rangers ownership has already used a large chunk of the upcoming TV money, which it collected up front as a signing bonus, to help finance its purchase of the franchise.

And, finally, the Rangers are about to lose their status as a revenue-sharing taker, which was allowing them to collect $8 million to $15 million a year.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I wasn't looking to debate or even go on this long about anything relevant to that because...well it simply isn't..

I know! *elaine push*

Ninja Scooter said:
I remember reading somewhere that all that talk of a new TV contract and new ownership meaning more money to spend was BS and they are going to spend the next few years using that money to pay back debts or some shit.
This is true, they are tied up right now.

Sanjuro

Windu said:
Eh, another part of the puzzle with the Rangers is Texas. The place just simply isn't a baseball market no matter how much anyone here wants to fool themselves. They have a beautiful park and some hype right now, but who knows how long that will last. I mean they don't even like the Cowboys at this point.

When I went down there for the first time they had A-Rod. That was part of my point when I was talking about him being there, they just didn't give a shit on all ends.

Windu

hmm, well Dallas-Fortworth is still a massive market. I think they will start spending like a big market team going forward.

Sanjuro

Windu said:
hmm, well Dallas-Fortworth is still a massive market. I think they will start spending like a big market team going forward.
It is...it's just not football being played. :/

They made fun of me for liking baseball.

Sanjuro

evil solrac v3.0 said:
so bottom line is, all this time the Rangers were just talking and weren't actually going to able to step up with the money to land Lee?
Not at all. They still might end up with him, Yankees are just in full ass-kissing mode so it seems more like a long shot.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
so bottom line is, all this time the Rangers were just talking and weren't actually going to able to step up with the money to land Lee?

I think it was always assumed the Rangers wouldn't be able to out spend the Yankees offer, Lee was going to have to take a bit of a discount (that might be made up in part thanks to state tax) if he wanted to stay in Texas.

Windu

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
It is...it's just not football being played. :/

They made fun of me for liking baseball.
well yeah texas probably likes high school football more than baseball. Still think there is a market for it. Just need a winning team like the rangers.

Sanjuro

Windu said:
well yeah texas probably likes high school football more than baseball. Still think there is a market for it. Just need a winning team like the rangers.
Yeah. There just is no proper way for me to explain, you kind of need to at least visit the area a bit. rareside might be able to better.

I still think there is a chance that even if they keep winning it they still might not make enough revenue to keep things even more interesting. It's just strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom