• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Peru

The Wimbledon thread proved that we have a potential number of tennis fans on this forum, but there's more to this sport than the big green championship. Let's see if we can get some discussion going during other tournaments here.

Just watched Nadal breeze through the Rogers Cup final. Looked like we might have an exciting match when Kiefer took control and had several break points, but he couldn't win them and Nadal could.

Nadal had some troubles in this match, but at the moment I would definitely put money on him being Nr.1 within maybe the end of the next tournament or at least the following months. Unless Feddy has conjured up his best through sheer pissed-off-ness at his slippery slide downwards. Thoughts?

Meanwhile the women are at it tomorrow.

I'm pumped about the US Open. I have a feeling no American will make it to the Quarterfinals on the mens side. American tennis is pretty much dead. I thought Donald Young would be at Nadals level by now, but he really hasn't been improving. Oh well, I think Nadal will win the US Open.

Peru

Peru. Fullsize on your avatar stat!

Got them from this place http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=289861&page=4 after a google search, so I'm not sure where a full-size one would be.
normal_1%7E15.jpg

":'("
Wallpaper as a consolation: http://img134.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=00010_Vaidisova_AO_2007_10_122_358lo.jpg

If she wins her two first matches she could meet Sharapova for the first time ever. She'll probably choke long before, though. Terrible in LA.
nic2aiw2.jpg

Peru

She's an absolute wreck. Horrible tennis, ugly tennis, and worst of all there is no logic to her play. Up 3-0 in the first set, loses 3-6. Down in the 2nd, wins 6-3, then loses the last 2-6 again. Slips up on easy points, smashes, anything. Things like "momentum" means nothing to her, apparently. Footwork atrocious. What the hell have we gotten ourselves into, cheering for this girl. No way back, I guess, but I'm not going to be surprised if she ends up outside of the top 100 soon. Either that or turns the clock in her head back 3 years and becomes good again, or something resembling her former self. Get a shrink, dump Radek, whatever it takes.

great thread, I am a big fan of tennis and part of my job is to analys tennis players as I work as a tennis bookmaker :)

Nadal will be Nr1 no doubt about it :)

I love Nadal by the way hihi

Us open is just around the corner and I will be there live for semifinals and the final

FF_VIII

Banned
Is Federer playing today? Think I read he needs to get to the SF at least of Cincinnati or he loses his #1 this weekend.

pewye

Banned
Federer is down 0-5 in first set tiebreak against ginepri

If he loses this match he will lose his number 1 ranking.

Hootie

That Wimbledon Final must have really fucked with his head. He probably still thinks he's going against Nadal right now.

Also:
2mxpbti.jpg

15dbc50.jpg

*drool*

Peru

I think what Fed did today was crucially important to his career at the moment. I'm convinced that his problems this year are all mental, there is no reason that a 26-year old player like that - physically on par with anyone on the tour - should be at the end of his peak
now. This match will give him a moral boost, 6-0 in the last set especially, that could get him back in the race for #1.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Peru said:
I think what Fed did today was crucially important to his career at the moment. I'm convinced that his problems this year are all mental, there is no reason that a 26-year old player like that - physically on par with anyone on the tour - should be at the end of his peak
now. This match will give him a moral boost, 6-0 in the last set especially, that could get him back in the race for #1.

This tournament really isn't a huge deal. It's important in that it gets the players ready for the US open. The US open will be one of the most important tournaments in his career because of what happened at Wimbledon.

Peru

Tashi0106 said:
This tournament really isn't a huge deal. It's important in that it gets the players ready for the US open. The US open will be one of the most important tournaments in his career because of what happened at Wimbledon.
It doesn't matter what the tournament is, what matters is he turned a match around with a match point against him, after one of the most depressing periods of play in his career -- Lost his attempt at the 6th Wimbledon, lost the first round of the Rogers against an 'easy' opponent, doomed to lose his #1 ranking within a week, after 5 years, just one point away. And then bam boom, 2-1, 6-0, match. Showed the 'man' that he still has it. It has to give him a tremendous boost in his confidence.

Sharp

Nadal pretty much obliterated Serra. I was vaguely hoping for an upset since he's lost in the first round at Cincinnati like three times, but eh.

MIMIC

Banned
What the balls is going on with the Tennis Channel? There's no more live coverage of Cincinnati.

And yeah, I saw that Safin match live. He got foot-faulted THREE times :lol

pewye

Banned
Buba Big Guns said:
I remember Hewitt (I think) got foot faulted quite a few times at Wimbledon or the US open a few years ago too.

yeah, when someone mentions foot faults, the first thing that come to my mind is Hewitt. I remember he was playing Federer in the QFs of the U.S Open and he was foot faulted at least twice.

Peru

Djokovic breezed through beating a downgraded Seppi. Federer's up against Karlovic now. Each match of his has a nerve to it these days, will he return to form etc etc.

MIMIC

Banned
Federer's playing Karlovic right now (ESPN 2). One of the commentator's thinks that one of Karlovic's serves was at least 142 mph.

Peru

He'd bust anything with that speed. Dude is lethal on his service game. I remember a match against Nadal, he lost, but I think he took the Spaniard through three tie-breaks.

Tamanon

Banned
Not looking good for Federer at all. Down 1-4 on the tiebreak. Although Karlovic really doesn't want to win it seems, either.:lol

Federbot down AGAIN.

Tamanon said:
Not looking good for Federer at all. Down 1-4 on the tiebreak. Although Karlovic really doesn't want to win it seems, either.:lol

Come on Fedbot, you can't lose your #1 ranking to that Spaniard!

MIMIC

Banned
It wasn't for a lack of effort. Karlovic played really consistent.

If Nadal wins (the commentators say), he'll be the new No. 1

Sharp

MIMIC said:

If Nadal wins (the commentators say), he'll be the new No. 1
I think that's only if he wins the final.

Leonsito

This is one of the more undeserved defeats I have seen, Federer played way better than Karlovic, but agains 22 aces and 20+ first ball points what can you do ...

If this week Roger lose the #1 it will be a sad day for Tennis, I hope he can comeback in the OG and USOpen :)

Leonsito

Sharp said:
I think that's only if he wins the final.

Now Nadal only has to reach the final I think, no win need.

Well, he has to win if he wants the #1 next Monday, but after this lose Nadal will be number one on Monday 11 or Monday 18, when they sustract last year points for this two MS.

Peru

MIMIC said:
Consistent serve, yes. Maybe it's just me, but this victory felt a bit 'wrong'. When hitting 77% first serves and at perfect conditions he's probably the best server around. And the hot climate on this surface made the balls go like mental. He's too static otherwise. Federer only made one unforced error in the final set, lost only one point on his own serve, before the tie-break, but something buzzed wrong in his head right there and then. Otherwise I think this was a good match by Fed. His serves were great as well, I think around 80% first serves in the last set.

It was an interesting match, because both guys serve so well, but this is the extreme version of power play where he's not even good at it during rallies, only when hitting his first serve. Boring when it's his one tactic.

THis is a general discussion right.

So those who play (I play a lot, like 2-3 times a week avr) what Tennis Racquet do you guys use? I had a Head Racket for a couple years and I got pretty good, with some weakness in my backhand and serve and decided to buy a higher end Babolat.

Its strength is power but im really struggling with it. My backhand and serve are arguably better but my forehand is not nearly as good. It could be that I upped the handle size a quarter inch. It feels like I hit the frame on everyshot, its so ackward. I can still play pretty well but I feel as though im worse than I was last year.

Maybe I should have went with that Flexpoint Head racquet.

Sharp

I really do hope Federer can bounce back, if only because I wanted to see more epic finals like Wimbledon instead of lopsided ones like last week's. If they never get to compete it's not really much of a rivalry, and since they're both going to remain 1 and 2 for the foreseeable future Federer seriously needs to take a deep breath, calm down, reevaluate his position, get a good coach, maybe skip a tournament or two to rest up for the US Open, and generally do whatever it takes to at least get to the fucking finals.

pewye

Banned
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Federer :( If Nadal wins this tournament, he will be the new number 1. But it is not like he doesn't deserve it.

The streak had to end at one point. And if it ends this week, I can't think of a better player than Nadal to end it.

4 and 1/2 years. That is amazing.

Sharp

He hasn't lost his number one ranking quite yet. There's always the very real possibility that Nadal will choke under the pressure, or be overcome by the heat, or simply lose because his first-round victory was a fluke (after all, he trounced Serra in the AO as well) and the fast courts will do him in.

MIMIC

Banned
Number crunchers have concluded that:

1. If Nadal reaches the semifinals, he will become No. 1 on August 18th (even if Federer wins the Olympics)

2. If Nadal reaches the finals, he will become No. 1 on August 11th

3. If Nadal wins Cincinnati, he will become No. 1 on August 4th

pewye

Banned
MIMIC said:
Number crunchers have concluded that:

1. If Nadal reaches the semifinals, he will become No. 1 on August 18th (even if Federer wins the Olympics)

2. If Nadal reaches the finals, he will become No. 1 on August 11th

3. If Nadal wins Cincinnati, he will become No. 1 on August 4th

yep, it is inevitable that Federer will lose his number 1 ranking this month if Nadal wins the next two matches.

Top Bottom