• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#Wrestlemania 28 |OT| WWE is having another Big Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Totally! It was exactly like the last Monday Night Raw that had Rock v. Cena, Taker v. HHH, and Punk v. Jericho. I felt like I was watching a repeat.

There were 9 matches (including the dark match), and 6 of those 9 matches combined for 39:10 of wrestling. Of those 6 matches, 3 were championship matches, and 1 of them was a 12 man tag team match.

You want to know what the 3 shortest matches of these 9 were I'll tell you. The triple threat tag titles match, the WHC match, and the IC title match. combined match length: 10 minutes, 47 seconds.
I think Brodus Clay got more time than that. I think the crappy live performances we got before cena and rock's intros were longer than that. They were definitely longer than each of those 3 title matches individually.

Ads got more time than that. On a $60 PPV.

backstage segments got more time than that.

jmdajr

There were 9 matches (including the dark match), and 6 of those 9 matches combined for 39:10 of wrestling. Of those 6 matches, 3 were championship matches, and 1 of them was a 12 man tag team match.

You want to know what the 3 shortest matches of these 9 were I'll tell you. The triple threat tag titles match, the WHC match, and the IC title match. combined match length: 10 minutes, 47 seconds.
I think Brodus Clay got more time than that. I think the crappy live performances we got before cena and rock's intros were longer than that. They were definitely longer than each of those 3 title matches individually.

Ads got more time than that. On a $60 PPV.

backstage segments got more time than that.

Wikipedia has all the match lengths. If you must know this Years Mania had more wrestling than last years.
It was even a longer Wrestlemania than 25, 24, 23 etc...

But judging the show on match length alone is ridiculous. But whatever, everyone is free to complain.

Striker

The GM tag match was something that should have been done on RAW; waste of time and would've served better purpose to have a MitB Ladder match. Instead that gets treated as a gimmick to an awful PPV.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
The GM tag match was something that should have been done on RAW; waste of time and would've served better purpose to have a MitB Ladder match. Instead that gets treated as a gimmick to an awful PPV.

Should have been the opener IMO. Would have really pumped up the crowd instead of leaving them dead for about an hour.

oh and did I mention this was WRESTLEMANIA?

And as always Backlash/Extreme Rules/Whatever will be better (and cheaper) than this year's Wrestlemania.

BFIB

Upon further reflection, its clear that WWE needs to make some drastic changes.

Its been mentioned numerous times, but obviously, the squash of a main title holder shouldn't happen, ever. Nor should they be the hot opener for a PPV. Its why you have a mid-card.

The entire Diva's roster is just flat out shitty. The few that actually have in-ring talent are wasted by other female talent that are clearly there for the T & A portion. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing that as much as the next guy, but I also want to see ladies that can actually compete and carry a match.

Quick buildups (Kane and Orton) that served no other purpose than to be on the card. If they are so adamant about pushing The Miz again, why not build up his feud with R-Truth over time and give them a match at WM with Miz going over? If you want to build top talent, you have to give them compelling storylines to keep people interested in them.

Which leads me to my last point: long-term booking. Ever since the brand split, and to an extent, Stephanie taking over creative, booking on the fly has really cost a lot of fans. You need to think long term and stick with it. I was reading reports that even up to yesterday afternoon, finishes and match length were still being discussed. You can't have that on the main PPV of the year. These matches, lengths, finishes, etc. should have been set up for a while, with the intent to plan ahead afterwards.

The backstage segments were bad but they are done for a reason. The production crew were working non stop with the 30-45 secs they had to set up pyro and shit. Triple h entrance was really cheesy in person though lol

Novid

Banned
Its a sad state of affairs. Kids Love Cena, He sells merch like nobody else - but the business is going no where fast. When the Rock beat him and you see the reations, you see the major problem the business has. You have nobody that people can respect on both sides. Danialson could have been one but Vince in his supposed wisdom trolled us. CM Punk and Jericho should have never ever mailed it in. Cena and Rock is a microcosm of everthing that has happened in the media realm since the UFC gained popularity.

People do not have the time nor the money to spend on 60 buck HD PPV's with matches that only go 10 mins for 3 matches. Have they not realized that already?

I even believe that the titles dont even matter anymore - they should get rid of them. Its simple. Nobody cares. The writers dont care. The wrestlers care up to a point. The younger fanbase dont care unless Cena has it. The rest of the business has such a production deficoncy that anybody trying to be better loses.

The only way out is for the product to degrade to such a point where they will have no choice but to produce better match types. By then it will be too late.

I keep saying it and now people starting to get the idea. the only way the business surives is through its female wreslers and not the men and until somebody gets that clear this is the best its ever gonna be.

sajj316

Its a sad state of affairs. Kids Love Cena, He sells merch like nobody else - but the business is going no where fast. When the Rock beat him and you see the reations, you see the major problem the business has. You have nobody that people can respect on both sides. Danialson could have been one but Vince in his supposed wisdom trolled us. CM Punk and Jericho should have never ever mailed it in. Cena and Rock is a microcosm of everthing that has happened in the media realm since the UFC gained popularity.

People do not have the time nor the money to spend on 60 buck HD PPV's with matches that only go 10 mins for 3 matches. Have they not realized that already?

I even believe that the titles dont even matter anymore - they should get rid of them. Its simple. Nobody cares. The writers dont care. The wrestlers care up to a point. The younger fanbase dont care unless Cena has it. The rest of the business has such a production deficoncy that anybody trying to be better loses.

The only way out is for the product to degrade to such a point where they will have no choice but to produce better match types. By then it will be too late.

I keep saying it and now people starting to get the idea. the only way the business surives is through its female wreslers and not the men and until somebody gets that clear this is the best its ever gonna be.

I 100% disagree that Punk and Jericho "mailed it in". If anything the match was slow to pick up but the middle and end were some of the best examples of wrestling.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
What i mean was that the male mid card in the wwe has been so degraded that a female wrestler from WWE or any promotion will out sell them. That incudes both Bryan and CM Punk.

There's plenty of great female wrestlers in the world, but if you think the male WWE mid-card is bad, it's nothing compared to the Divas. The last time this division had any merit was 6 years ago during the Crazy Mickie James angle.

tm24

What i mean was that the male mid card in the wwe has been so degraded that a female wrestler from WWE or any promotion will out sell them. That incudes both Bryan and CM Punk.

Wheres that gif of the crowd reaction after a Tamina win?

What could they have done if D-Bry and Sheamus had gone out there and just said fuck it and improved a good solid 15 minute match? What was Vince gonna go, run out and say ring the damn bell? Fire Bryan? If that's how they're gonna treat him why does he even care?

Carnby

What could they have done if D-Bry and Sheamus had gone out there and just said fuck it and improved a good solid 15 minute match? What was Vince gonna go, run out and say ring the damn bell? Fire Bryan? If that's how they're gonna treat him why does he even care?

Because WWE pays very well.

The bitterness is strong, Makes me wonder how many WMs you guys ever watched. To declare WM28 one of the worst or just a tad better then last years dogshit is just straight up trolling. it was just overbooked, having 4 matches in the first hour proves it. Not even the divas match was place good enough to be considered a piss break. WHC should have gotten the 15 mins and Cody/big show should have been the sqaush.

I don't see how it's trolling, both PPV's only had 2 good matches, this year's being Taker/HHH and Punk/Y2J, last year being HHH/Taker again and Cody's match, the decent main event of this year and the loud crowd pushed it over.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
WM sucked cause it was supposed to suck. The WWE sucks now, and has sucked for years. Very few people left who know how to put on a good match, and one of the guys who does gets squashed in 18 seconds, lol.

WM27 had 30 mins of rock promo segments, 10 min WHC match, and one of the worst booked main events in WM history. The fact that it was MIz/Cena just puts it on another lever of shittyness. WM28 the promos were cut in half I assume due to time, Taker/HHH was just as good if not better then last year, the last 10 mins of Jericho/punk was amazing and smart, and rock/Cena was really fun...What did you expect really? Everyone knew the match was going to be built around atmosphere and it delievered. Are we going to start bashing rock/hogan now just because the match was decent? It's like you guys expect 5 star matches across the board where not one single WM has ever had that.

Izick

2mIeu.gif
vsDKE.gif

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
WM sucked cause it was supposed to suck. The WWE sucks now, and has sucked for years. Very few people left who know how to put on a good match, and one of the guys who does gets squashed in 18 seconds, lol.

WWE ain't what it used to be, but every summer since I started re-watching has always been it's best months. (no competition perhaps?) Jericho/HBK, Summer of Punk '09, The Nexus, Summer of Punk '11. Even if WM was bad I knew that at least Summer was coming. IF this summer sucks, there's no hope for me.

WM27 had 30 mins of rock promo segments, 10 min WHC match, and one of the worst booked main events in WM history. The fact that it was MIz/Cena just puts it on another lever of shittyness. WM28 the promos were cut in half I assume due to time, Taker/HHH was just as good if not better then last year, the last 10 mins of Jericho/punk was amazing and smart, and rock/Cena was really fun...What did you expect really? Everyone knew the match was going to be built around atmosphere and it delievered. Are we going to start bashing rock/hogan now just because the match was decent? It's like you guys expect 5 star matches across the board where not one single WM has ever had that.

WM 27 got worse the more it went on, save for Taker/Trips II, WM 28 got better as it went along, but when you have a crappy opening it can really put a damper on the rest of the night.

I guarantee that had Sheamus and Bryan were given 10 or even 5 minutes people would not have been as negative as they are now.

jmdajr

I mentioned something similar but nobody cared... There was actual more wrestling than the past couple of Wrestlemanias.

I guarantee that had Sheamus and Bryan were given 10 or even 5 minutes people would not have been as negative as they are now.

Absolutely there is no doubt.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
WM 27 was horrible, so being better than that means nothing. They're also charging a crazy amount for the show, so people should expect better. Also, people aren't expecting crazy matches all over, but an 18 second World title match is reason enough to be pissed. A good match in Taker/HHH, 10 good minutes of Punk/Jericho, and a lazy main event that featured awkward wrestling and a lack of a coherent story is not worth $65.

I like how Hogan Rock was half the time, so it wasn't long and drawn out like this main event was and had better spots that had the crowd going wild.

jmdajr

WM 27 was horrible, so being better than that means nothing. They're also charging a crazy amount for the show, so people should expect better. Also, people aren't expecting crazy matches all over, but an 18 second World title match is reason enough to be pissed. A good match in Taker/HHH, 10 good minutes of Punk/Jericho, and a lazy main event that featured awkward wrestling and a lack of a coherent story is not worth $65.

Everyone enjoyed the show a different way. You can't say no one got their money's worth because that's completely false. Lots of people here feel that way sure, but plenty of people enjoyed it too. Yeah the price is high, but all PPV have gone up in general have they not?
How much actual fighting do you get in UFC or Boxing? Hell most of those cards are non-stop analysis. But most people don't complain about that. Or do they?

I don't really have a problem with folks voicing an opinion but why not just stop watching? It's like you love torturing yourselves. I don't..understand.

Whatever..I'll see you all tonight!
I like how Hogan Rock was half the time, so it wasn't long and drawn out like this main event was and had better spots that had the crowd going wild.

I give Canada a lot of credit for that. What a crowd.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Everyone enjoyed the show a different way. You can't say no one got their money's worth because that's completely false. Lots of people here feel that way sure, but plenty of people enjoyed it too. Yeah the price is high, but all PPV have gone up in general have they not?
How much actual fighting do you get in UFC or Boxing? Hell most of those cards are non-stop analysis. But most people don't complain about that. Or do they?

I don't really have a problem voicing an opinion but why not just stop watching? It's like you love torturing yourselves. I don't..understand.
I'm not saying people shouldn't have enjoyed it or felt that they got their money's worth, but other people who don't feel that way are totally justified too. I agree with you, though, about not watching anymore.

WWE ain't what it used to be, but every summer since I started re-watching has always been it's best months. (no competition perhaps?) Jericho/HBK, Summer of Punk '09, The Nexus, Summer of Punk '11. Even if WM was bad I knew that at least Summer was coming. IF this summer sucks, there's no hope for me.

WM 27 got worse the more it went on, save for Taker/Trips II, WM 28 got better as it went along, but when you have a crappy opening it can really put a damper on the rest of the night.

The first hour blew but the crowd was HOT for the big 3 matches. Takers kickout from the finisher combo and rocks win was one of the loudest pops and celebrations i have ever been apart of.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
So we haven't heard any kind of backstage rumblings about why they decided to make Bryan looks like useless dogshit, make the title look less legit than the diva's title, and rob Sheamus of an opportunity to look like a strong champion rather than a lucky one?

On a somewhat related note, as much as I enjoyed the spectacle and entertainment aspect of HHH/Taker, it made it hard to believe that a single rock bottom would put away "superman" cena, while two wrestlers at the ends of their careers could go through a match of nothing but finishers and chair shots and still kick out. It made every other wrestler looks like a giant pussy.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
So we haven't heard any kind of backstage rumblings about why they decided to make Bryan looks like useless dogshit, make the title look less legit than the diva's title, and rob Sheamus of an opportunity to look like a strong champion rather than a lucky one?

On a somewhat related note, as much as I enjoyed the spectacle and entertainment aspect of HHH/Taker, it made it hard to believe that a single rock bottom would put away "superman" cena, while two wrestlers at the ends of their careers could go through a match of nothing but finishers and chair shots and still kick out. It made every other wrestler looks like a giant pussy.
What I learned after yesterday was that finishing moves mean nothing. BTW, Cena had already kicked out of the PE.

jmdajr

I'm not saying people shouldn't have enjoyed it or felt that they got their money's worth, but other people who don't feel that way are totally justified too. I agree with you, though, about not watching anymore.

I usually don't complain too much but what they did with D. Bryan upset me. I can understand if it was Diesel or Warrior..you know guys who can't wrestle... Ridiculous.

I can let it slide, but I can understand people being unforgiving. But please don't say you will quit watching in protest and then keep watching. Make a stand if that's what you really believe.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I usually don't complain too much but what they did with D. Bryan upset me. I can understand if it was Diesel or Warrior..you know guys who can't wrestle... Ridiculous.

I can let it slide, but I can understand people being unforgiving. But please don't say you will quit watching in protest and then keep watching. Make a stand if that's what you really believe.
Nah, I've already said that I'm gone once Kane and Taker retire.

jmdajr

S

Dude... not everyone can be the King of Kings. It's ok.

I really dug my custom gif last night :)

92ae6439.gif

It's too bad the Game came up a bit short but was still awesome!

thefro

With Bryan it really depends on where they go from here with his character and if he can feud with Sheamus for another month without looking like a joke.

The finish didn't make him look *that* bad, it was the idea to use a cheap finish for a world title match that was curtain-jerking the show instead of giving them 15 minutes to have a good match that people are pissed about.

antonz

If anything I think Bryan and Shaemus will be in the doghouse. They were expected to finish their match faster than they did. Yes you heard right it was intended to be faster than Chavos squash

I can understand why people were pissed with some decisions made. But to say WM28 was bad or just ok doesn't make sense to me. Undertaker matches and ric flair are the only memorable matches in the past 4 years.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
If anything I think Bryan and Shaemus will be in the doghouse. They were expected to finish their match faster than they did. Yes you heard right it was intended to be faster than Chavos squash

They'll just say they broke the record. Remember King Kong Bundy vs SD Jones? WWF said it was 9 seconds even though it was more like 25.

EDIT: Actually, it is a record for the WHC right? I'm thinking they'll just go with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom