• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 : First Screens (from Alpha Build]

They testing level design. Not graphics.
But on our side we're only looking at still shots, not any video.

Please be excited.

Remember people weren't too hot on Broken Sword 5's 3D look but were sold when actually playing. They did take feedback on the look, so hope Comcept will do the same.

Five

Banned
You'd think people would get what Alpha means but eh.

It doesn't help that different studios use the term differently. Yacht Club (of Shovel Knight fame) just sent out a backer email saying they've hit alpha, and describe it as this:

what exactly is an Alpha, you ask?

That answer changes a lot depending on the studio, but for us it means we have first pass completion of all content in the game. All features are implemented. All levels are playable. All bosses are fightable. All items are gettable! Everything is there.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UXDiQrgI6M

Looks like from the engine test video. Hard to tell.

It doesn't to me, but you may be right.

BY2K

Membero Americo
It doesn't help that different studios use the term differently. Yacht Club (of Shovel Knight fame) just sent out a backer email saying they've hit alpha, and describe it as this:

That sounds more like a Beta to me.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Cel-shading is not something you worry about in an alpha build and 2d sprites cost more than they can afford.

If I was seeing alpha cel-shading, comments about "SHURRUP ITS ALPHA" would be bang on. I'm looking at models made for traditionally lit environments though and theres no magic 'now its cel-shaded!' switch in-game that wouldn't be gigantically resource intensive.

As for the "cost" of 2D sprites:

Mighty No. 9: $3,845,170
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero: $776,084

This is why Kickstarters without a representative prototype just feel like bullhonkey. You go from this:
a4d2477d01ae7a44bffec74b42906c0d_large.jpg

to the above. Of course people are gonna feel let down when all those 2D art visuals were what were heavily hitting the Mega Man nostalgia gland.

I also remember this song and dance from the Unreal Engine prototype they showed a while back, with the same sort of "wait and see" merry go round.

Ratrat

But on our side we're only looking at still shots, not any video.

Please be excited.

Remember people weren't too hot on Broken Sword 5's 3D look but were sold when actually playing. They did take feedback on the look, so hope Comcept will do the same.
People were also losing their mind when Phoenix Wright and Layton went 3d. So much hyperbole itt

Frumix

Suffering From Success
These look like PSP Rockman remakes (plus the visual fidelity of course). Not sure what people were expecting.

Griss

If I was seeing alpha cel-shading, comments about "SHURRUP ITS ALPHA" would be bang on. I'm looking at models made for traditionally lit environments though and theres no magic 'now its cel-shaded!' switch in-game that wouldn't be gigantically resource intensive.

As for the "cost" of 2D sprites:

Mighty No. 9: $3,845,170
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero: $776,084

This is why Kickstarters without a representative prototype just feel like bullhonkey. You go from this:
a4d2477d01ae7a44bffec74b42906c0d_large.jpg

to the above. Of course people are gonna feel let down when all those 2D art visuals were what were heavily hitting the Mega Man nostalgia gland.

I agree with this, pretty much. Sold on one aesthetic, and might possibly deliver another one entirely.

That said, my recollection is that cell-shading shaders are incredibly easy to code and add to a game. As basic a shader as they come.

I have a feeling this game isvgoing to be a disappointment. I personally have no faith in anything with Inafune's name attatched.

His best days are long behind him.

Storm360

This appears to be a really early build guys, so I wouldn't judge it, the textures for the envioment (the purple and white textures) are even the default placeholder textures in UE when you haven't added your own yet

Blueblur1

While it is only in Alpha, I think it's far that we all voice out concerns. I too don't like the rendering of MN 09 and would prefer something cel-shaded (or similar) that would achieve the look of that initial target render.

alpha means content complete?...

Shit, that didn't take too long.

LOL don't use American milestones in Japanese development! ;)

And um...The Banner Saga looks EXACTLY like what it promises. I don't fund Kickstarters that don't have a playable demo or at least a few screenshots that show the team has put effort into establishing art direction and if I back I'll get what I see only more polished.

Not going to say anything for now but it so far looks like an average unreal engine 3 game with it's standard dark shadows going on, even if it's not that's how it looks.

Jigorath

Banned
I would have loved a straight up 2D game with hand drawn art like Rayman Origins. Though this is still in Alpha so of course it's way too early to judge.

mclem

No, you're not. You're looking at models made to get something onscreen so they can start working on mechanics.

It's not impossible that it's what they'll go with for the final version, of course, but it strikes me as a lot more likely that they just want *something* that can bounce around and interact with the world.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
No, you're not. You're looking at models made to get something onscreen so they can start working on mechanics.

It's not impossible that it's what they'll go with for the final version, of course, but it strikes me as a lot more likely that they just want *something* that can bounce around and interact with the world.

As I said above, they already had that back in September. 2015 release date of course, but I rarely see huge stylistic turnarounds on games that would take this back to looking like the concept art but moving. Compromise is where we're already at.

Busaiku

I dunno why I didn't pay much attention to the health bar in the concept art, but I'm definitely not feeling it now.

Nimajneb

WTF is with these complaints about the graphics? These shots are literally composed of nothing but placeholder checker board textures on a black background. They are only intended to show that they're actually working on something, and tell us nothing about what the final product might look like.

Hey guys remember that we got obsidian to drop a boob armor design from eternity?

Just go to the forums and make your case if you want something changed.. This is what kickstarter is for, not for preorders.

Top Bottom