• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yakuza in the works, series general director confirms

jdstorm

Banned
This is great news.

I hope sega fully embrace the Soap opera/Telenovella nature of the Yakuza series and just keep rotating in new characters. Yakuza is great at creating a living world, and that world should progress with time.

Edit: if anyone takes over as the protagonist it should be Akiyama.

Just get the series on PC already so I can play it too :( Now is your chance!

Well, Sega just managed to get Bayonetta onto Steam. At this rate we might just get one Yakuza game by 2020! Seriously though, I really hope we see PC (or at least PS4) ports of the series as the PS3 games just need a few higher res textures and the natural FPS and res boost that come with PC ports and they'd be perfect, no real need to remaster them any further.

bluethree

Aw yeah. Would love to see a fresh start with a new character (guaranteed) or setting other than Kamurocho (less likely but I can still hope).

Aw yeah. Would love to see a fresh start with a new character (guaranteed) or setting other than Kamurocho (less likely but I can still hope).

In terms of setting, I doubt Kamuracho is going anywhere. Arguably that city is the second most important "character" in the series right behind Kiryu. Plus the team love reusing assets, so I'd imagine the sequel having an expanded Kamuracho and a brand new city to explore alongside it (I loved Hiroshima in 6, just wish there was more to do there).

Jimrpg

In terms of setting, I doubt Kamuracho is going anywhere. Arguably that city is the second most important "character" in the series right behind Kiryu. Plus the team love reusing assets, so I'd imagine the sequel having an expanded Kamuracho and a brand new city to explore alongside it (I loved Hiroshima in 6, just wish there was more to do there).

If they start fresh, I could see them move on from Kamurocho. I love the city, but a new city with similar gameplay would be awesome.

I personally would love an expanded Kamurocho. Not only put back in the districts from previous games missing in Yakuza 6 but add some other areas from the surrounding areas or heck, just put in some fictional districts for the outskirts.

Budi

Well, Sega just managed to get Bayonetta onto Steam. At this rate we might just get one Yakuza game by 2020! Seriously though, I really hope we see PC (or at least PS4) ports of the series as the PS3 games just need a few higher res textures and the natural FPS and res boost that come with PC ports and they'd be perfect, no real need to remaster them any further.

Yeah because of Shen Mue and Bayonetta etc. I'm really getting hopeful regarding stuff like this.

Set it in Hawaii for a couple reasons:

1. There is an actual Yakuza presence on Oahu.
2. There's a significant Japanese influence there and is white it's America, it's not as threatening to the average Japanese person as the mainland.
I don't know. I kinda like the Japan simulator part of Yakuza games. And even though, I wouldn't mind seeing they do the same with another country, I doubt they'll be able to capture that the same way they do with Japan. Since it's clearly easier for them to simulate the country that they are living in.

If anyone is going to take over, it should be Saejima.
Why are you asking for a new Prison Break game in a Yakuza thread?

TreIII

Set it in Hawaii for a couple reasons:

1. There is an actual Yakuza presence on Oahu.
2. There's a significant Japanese influence there and is white it's America, it's not as threatening to the average Japanese person as the mainland.

I really like this idea. Nor only would it be a welcome segue from just Kamurocho again, but it'd also be just "American enough", that it may be able to increase its marketability.

Plus, I've been wanting the series to see if the Tojo clan has any "overseas subsidiaries" in Hawaii or even Brazil (among other places) that are at all notable, for years.

I really like this idea. Nor only would it be a welcome segue from just Kamurocho again, but it'd also be just "American enough", that it may be able to increase its marketability.

Exactly. Oahu and Honolulu in particular are very Japanese friendly. Japanese writing everywhere, lots of food chains, karaoke bars, etc. And there's a Don Quixote store! I like to call it America Lite as its not as threatening to all the Japanese tourists who visit every year.

You don't even need to set the whole game there. 60% Japan 40% Hawaii. Perfect for golf and fishing mini games.

Edit:Work out a deal with ABC Stores to be in the game because 1. They are literally everywhere and 2. The Japanese tourists love that chain. Bringing back an ABC shopping bag is the badge of honor to let everyone back home know you've been to Hawaii.

LPG

Neo Member
If anyone is going to take over, it should be Saejima.

Oh god please no. The Saejima chapters in both Yakuza 4 and 5 were my least favorite by far, he's a dumb character and is too damn slow in fights. I hate playing as him, only cool thing is picking up a motorbike and slamming it over some poor mobster's head.

if the new yakuza game was kiwami 2 i feel like they would've just said that, instead of saying "we're working on the next one"

Yeah, I noticed that as well. The way its worded suggested to me that a Kiwami 2 might not be happening right now. Best to wait until TGS in September where I'm sure we'll hear more about what the next title is.

if its kiwami 2 i would rather them use use kiwami 1 engine than yakuza 6 engine.

I'm torn on this. On the one hand, using the Kiwami engine means they could get a Kiwami 2 done with little effort - most of the assets are already there and all they really need is the new interior environments and the bit of Osaka that only appeared in Yakuza 2. Plus it'd be in 60FPS which would be a huge plus.

However I'd definitely miss the engine improvements we got in 6 (no loading, seemless access of shops, much prettier graphics, better physics etc.)

I wanted Kenzan and Ishin ;/

I fear this boat has already passed :( I'd love a Kenzan remaster myself on the PS4, its one of my favourite games ever and having it look/run like Kiwami would be heaven for me.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. The way its worded suggested to me that a Kiwami 2 might not be happening right now. Best to wait until TGS in September where I'm sure we'll hear more about what the next title is.
it's now or never though. if the next one isn't kiwami 2 then i think they'd be missing out on the right time to make it, if they indeed want to move on from kiryu at some point. get done making the OG games into modern status so newcomer fans get a crack at him.
if its kiwami 2 i would rather them use use kiwami 1 engine than yakuza 6 engine.
why?
I'm torn on this. On the one hand, using the Kiwami engine means they could get a Kiwami 2 done with little effort - most of the assets are already there and all they really need is the new interior environments and the bit of Osaka that only appeared in Yakuza 2. Plus it'd be in 60FPS which would be a huge plus.

However I'd definitely miss the engine improvements we got in 6 (no loading, seemless access of shops, much prettier graphics, better physics etc.)
if it's a remake wouldn't they be able to keep it in 60fps?

_Ryo_

How would yall feel about a Yakuza with an entirely new cast? Like, none of the old characters even exist in the new one. It's a complete reboot.

How would they even name that since they can't use "Yakuza 2."

Floody

if the new yakuza game was kiwami 2 i feel like they would've just said that, instead of saying "we're working on the next one"

Couldn't they do both? I remember reading something about Zero and Kiwami both having much smaller teams (thinking about it might've just been budget) compared to 6. It'd probably be in the Zero engine if they were though, as I assume, it'd probably be easier on the smaller team.

Couldn't they do both? I remember reading something about Zero and Kiwami both having much smaller teams (thinking about it might've just been budget) compared to 6. It'd probably be in the Zero engine if they were though, as I assume, it'd probably be easier on the smaller team.
well if they are making Kiwami 2, then like others have said - it is a good chance they are using the Yakuza 6 engine to do it. Unless it's similar to making a remake in general like Kiwami 1 regardless of engine, then yeah, I suppose they could do both.

But if the new engine makes it more taxing for the team, they'd have to give it their all for it.
How would yall feel about a Yakuza with an entirely new cast? Like, none of the old characters even exist in the new one. It's a complete reboot.

Considering the game is originally titled "Like a Dragon", they might have to...reinvent the series.

it's now or never though. if the next one isn't kiwami 2 then i think they'd be missing out on the right time to make it, if they indeed want to move on from kiryu at some point. get done making the OG games into modern status so newcomer fans get a crack at him.

why?
if it's a remake wouldn't they be able to keep it in 60fps?

Its all down to the engine, doesn't matter if its a remake or not. Yakuza 6 looks way better than the previous games in the series in terms of textures, lighting, character models, physics. Not to mention the lack of load times outside of swapping cities and certain mini games (that take you out of the city). So as and when/if we get a remake of Yakuza 2 assuming its for the PS4 and uses the new engine it'll be 30 FPS. I'm ok with the 30 FPS frame rate as a whole, its perfectly playable, I just miss how smooth Ishin, 0 and Kiwami were by comparison.

Its all down to the engine, doesn't matter if its a remake or not. Yakuza 6 looks way better than the previous games in the series in terms of textures, lighting, character models, physics. Not to mention the lack of load times outside of swapping cities and certain mini games (that take you out of the city). So as and when/if we get a remake of Yakuza 2 assuming its for the PS4 and uses the new engine it'll be 30 FPS. I'm ok with the 30 FPS frame rate as a whole, its perfectly playable, I just miss how smooth Ishin, 0 and Kiwami were by comparison.
yeah I never played the game on Ps2 so I always assumed that 60fps was the norm, and was also disappointed that 6 was 30.

but then i remembered that yakuza 3&5 were 30, and the OG games might have also been 30 before being remastered?

while i don't mind the 30 I agree having it 60 like a fighting game is the way to go. as for assuming it's for Ps4...I think that is pretty much a guarantee. I don't see a Yakuza game skipping out on a playstation release

yeah I never played the game on Ps2 so I always assumed that 60fps was the norm, and was also disappointed that 6 was 30.

but then i remembered that yakuza 3&5 were 30, and the OG games might have also been 30 before being remastered?

while i don't mind the 30 I agree having it 60 like a fighting game is the way to go. as for assuming it's for Ps4...I think that is pretty much a guarantee. I don't see a Yakuza game skipping out on a playstation release

All the series were 30FPS before the PS4 ports of Kiwami, 0 and Ishiin - as they were ports on more powerful hardware we got excellent frame rates as an improvement. But since 6 is actually built for the PS4 (rather than a PS3 port) its back to 30FPS again.

And yeah, the game won't be skipping Sony hardware, the Wii U port of 1&2 HD failed bad, so we'll definitely be seeing the series on Sony platforms still. Saying that, a Switch version that I could take with me would rock, as would a PC port which would be free from the hardware constraints of the PS4... Can't see the series ever going to Xbox though, the series is made for the Japanese fans and Xbox is dead over there.

Skulldead

I want it as much as the next person. It will be the only mainline title that I will still have to play after early next year.

Need to see what the hype is about.

Believe the hype, but at same time, if you watch the resume in yak 3.... then you already know half of the great plot twist.

All the series were 30FPS before the PS4 ports of Kiwami, 0 and Ishiin - as they were ports on more powerful hardware we got excellent frame rates as an improvement. But since 6 is actually built for the PS4 (rather than a PS3 port) its back to 30FPS again.
Yeah, I would've been more upset if 60 was the norm and they pushed the framerate down to 30 for the visuals. I'd have rather had a higher framerate but now understanding that 30 is the norm for the series, I can deal with it. Yakuza 6 has a huge graphical upgrade.

And yeah, the game won't be skipping Sony hardware, the Wii U port of 1&2 HD failed bad, so we'll definitely be seeing the series on Sony platforms still. Saying that, a Switch version that I could take with me would rock, as would a PC port which would be free from the hardware constraints of the PS4... Can't see the series ever going to Xbox though, the series is made for the Japanese fans and Xbox is dead over there.
I think its failure on Wii U may have just destroyed Sega's confidence in porting to another Nintendo system, but who knows. I also recently learned that it's due to Sony's support of the idea (back when Yakuza was just a project) that the game even got made.

If Kiryu ends up being the first guest character in Tekken 7 (please Harada-san :( ) then it'd be his debut on both Xbox and PC. While this wouldn't necessarily mean Yakuza 6 or any Yakuza after that would release on Xbox, it could still get people intrigued about the Yakuza series.
I want it as much as the next person. It will be the only mainline title that I will still have to play after early next year.

Need to see what the hype is about.
dude...Kiryu
punches a tiger
in the game. Imagine if they made the gameplay and graphics more realistic in that segment, oh my God. That segment alone is the reason why I wanna be able to play Yakuza 2.

Aki-at

I'd be really down for this. Moving away from the Tojo Clan and Kamurocho could be a godsend.

kinda how i would feel about Mass Effect with an entirely new cast.

still haven't played that, and i can live without it

Why does this game series and Nagoshi san get such a free pass, why Sonic, COD, or Assassin's Creed get kicked for offering more of the same not more Green Hill Zone. While Yakuza takes places in the smell locations and reuse the same old gameplay and mini games.

To me the series and the team need a break and need to make something new, it's such a waste of what is the best Team Inside SEGA

Peroroncino

Why does this game series and Nagoshi san get such a free pass, why Sonic, COD, or Assassin's Creed get kicked for offering more of the same not more Green Hill Zone. While Yakuza takes places in the smell locations and reuse the same old gameplay and mini games.

To me the series and the team need a break and need to make something new, it's such a waste of what is the best Team Inside SEGA

Becuase they constantly deliver what fans are expecting? And if that isn't the case with sonic/cod/assassin then too bad.

Going back to Kamurocho with each instalment for me is like going back to a place I know and love dearly, always wondering what changed in the lives of characters they managed to make me give a damn about, while always being curious what crazy new shit is inevitably about to happen. No other game managed to replicate that feeling so this is why I won't get mad if some mini-games will get 'reused' atop shitton of new ones.

Wow, that's great. Didn't expect to hear anything at least until we were close to TGS.
Becuase they constantly deliver what fans are expecting? And if that isn't the case with sonic/cod/assassin then too bad.

Going back to Kamurocho with each instalment for me is like going back to a place I know and love dearly, always wondering what changed in the lives of characters they managed to make me give a damn about, while always being curious what crazy new shit is inevitably about to happen. No other game managed to replicate that feeling so this is why I won't get mad if some mini-games will get 'reused' atop shitton of new ones.
Yes, and they do change the gameplay. I don't know why people think the games always stay the same but they don't. Yakuza 0 was the first mainline game to have different styles and Yakuza 6 uses a completely new engine which changes up the old formula when it comes to fighting.

Top Bottom