• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo and Target team up for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe marketing:

7roject28

Never got it for the WiiU. Almost did when it was on sale for a hot second but forgot about it and never picked it up. But will definitely pick this up.

At this point I wouldn't be too surprised if it even surpassed Mario Kart Wii, simply because you can play a full scale Mario Kart on the go too now -but perhaps we'd need a real Switch only Mario Kart for that, time will tell.

Uh, lets hold on to our horses there a minute.

The switch needs to maintain the momentum for years before that can even become a thought anyone should be entertaining. A prediction like that shouldn't really be made after a bit over a month and a half.

You have to remember Mario Kart Wii is the 6th best selling console/handheld game of all time (according to the wiki list, behind tetris, minecraft, wii sports, super mario bros and GTAV).

Toparaman

Banned
I think the point is that Nintendo is getting overpraised for ports and remasters after Sony and MS got shit on for it, probably by some of the "Nintendo-praisers" in this very thread.

Sony got plenty of praise here for TLOU Remastered. Master Chief Collection had major problems upon release, and got shit on appropriately.

I'm sure you can cherrypick some posts that went contrary to the general reaction, but that should go without saying. GAF is better for having dissenting opinions. I can't remember the PS4 getting anything less than a warm reception on GAF, even when its game library was very thin and uninspiring.

Joeytj

Banned
Nintendo would be very smart to port over some other WiiU Games and give them the 1080p treatment. On one hand it's a blessing the WiiU sold so badly, most of the games will be "new" for the Switch audience anyway.

Yeah, especially both HD Zelda remakes, those would be a huge hit on Switch as well.

There are millions of Zelda die-hards that are buying Switches just for BOTW but skipped the Wii U because of a lack of new Zelda until now.

Oersted

Yes of course but I don't understand the appeal of a port.

There are two consoles. Lets call them Xbox One and PS4.

For one of these plattforms, lets pick PS4, a game ,lets call it Rocket League, has been developed.

You do not own a PS4. You own a Xbox One.

Do you know understand why a port can be appealing offer?

PSFan

Oooh maybe. That'd be a great item for them to stock up on.

This whole promotion might get me to go to Target just to experience the zaniness, this plan is totally working.

A cross-gen release is not a port. BotW is as much a port as MGSV was. The Switch first party lineup as we know it currently has a total of one port. That's basically par for the course with any new console launch. Maybe even a bit low.

BOTW was built for the Wii U and was supposed to come out a while ago. Like TP was built for the Gamecube and ported to Wii for launch. It's a port.

Calm Mind

Not to get too off topic, but I was genuinely surprised to see so many "new" games announced for Switch's first year. I thought it'd be Wii-U port city with Zelda and Mario being the "big" titles for the year.

I wonder if the rumored Smash port will get this big of a push?

Completely off-topic, but I don't expect that to make 2017. I think Nintendo is going to keep the first year of the platform to about as much new software (internally) as possible.

Wow. I'm at a loss for words. That's some creative marketing. Just amazing 180 Nintendo has pulled with marketing from the Wii U to Switch.

antonz

Wow. I'm at a loss for words. That's some creative marketing. Just amazing 180 Nintendo has pulled with marketing from the Wii U to Switch.

It really felt like from the beginning of the Wii U Nintendo was aware they were late to the party with the concept they wanted to deliver and were going to have to ride it out. I mean Reggie started his PR with how it was a machine aimed at the core gamer and all of that even while they could not get the core games to arrive.

Switch is a totally different everything as far s marketing, outreach etc.

D.Lo

You have to remember Mario Kart Wii is the 6th best selling console/handheld game of all time (according to the wiki list, behind tetris, minecraft, wii sports, super mario bros and GTAV).
And Wiki's list is stupid, Tetris and Minecraft combine the sales of many very different games with completely separate content. Even GTA5 was a remaster with major extra features when ported to the next gen.

The actual list of actual skus is:
  1. Wii Sports
  2. Super Mario Bros
  3. Mario Kart Wii

GTA5 would be #1 if combing the original PS3, 360 and the remaster on PS4/Xbone and PC, and #4 if just the original PS3+360 version.

I work at one that has it, you know whats not fun? Getting screamed at by mario every time someone steps through the door for eight hours...

BOTW was built for the Wii U and was supposed to come out a while ago. Like TP was built for the Gamecube and ported to Wii for launch. It's a port.
PSFan, how surprising.

Its not a port in the sense you are making it out to be, and you know it lol.

Cipherr

Is it just me, or is MK8D getting more fanfare than MK8?

Has NeoGAF discussed the possibility of Deluxe outselling the original yet?

I dont think it will come close to the original. Theres still a ton of us who bought the first that won't double dip. But the marketing is a good sign. Shows they are willing to put some effort forth later in the gen for titles that will matter a lot like the next X entry and definitely the next Mario Kart.

I think the point is that Nintendo is getting overpraised for ports and remasters after Sony and MS got shit on for it, probably by some of the "Nintendo-praisers" in this very thread.

And I think no one gives a crap about how you feel about some other delusional fanboys trashs posts from way back when. Stop dragging that crap into new threads. No one cares, and shame on you for giving a crap too.

Jesus Christ, grow up.

Penguin

I work at one that has it, you know whats not fun? Getting screamed at by mario every time someone steps through the door for eight hours...

Ha my first thought when I saw a video

It's awesome, but the employees will want to destroy it by the end of the weekend

For the Wii version of TP, all they did was mirror it and add motion controls while the GC version was left unchanged, so you may have a point there. But BotW originally had several Wii U gamepad features, which were all scrapped to make the two versions equal.

It's abundantly clear which version was the priority. And the game being delayed due to the Switch version is just speculation at this point. Going by your logic, BotW on Wii U is the port.

gogojira

Everyone was totally too harsh on TLOU or Uncharted or Journey or whatever other third or fourth remaster you want to bring up. Those retreads got no praise and were belittled and picked on!

bumpkin

I popped into my local Target today in hopes of seeing some of this stuff, saw nothing. No shopping cart wraps. No Mario or Luigi covers on the red balls outside. No decals or sound effects on the entry doors.

Not owning a Switch didn't stop people from buying Zelda. Me included. Now, the attach rate for this game won't be as high as Zelda, but I guarantee there will still be sales from people still on the Switch hunt. And more consoles being sold in stores this week will increase MK8D intial sales as well.

If Nintendo had made a Collector's Edition MK8D box with a new amiibo and some other goodies, I bet there'd be people double-dipping on those like with the Zelda BotW Master Edition.

And I think this promotional marketing is fantastic. Gives shoppers some fun and helps Nintendo increase awareness of the Switch.

TS-08

For the Wii version of TP, all they did was mirror it and add motion controls while the GC version was left unchanged, so you may have a point there. But BotW originally had several Wii U gamepad features, which were all scrapped to make the two versions equal.

It's abundantly clear which version was the priority. And the game being delayed due to the Switch version is just speculation at this point. Going by your logic, BotW on Wii U is the port.

The game was pretty clearly delayed for the Switch, unless you think it is just a coincidence both versions released with the Switch launch.

Bog

Junior Ace
Both Targets I went to had kids playing on or hugging the Mario and Luigi heads outside.

The game was pretty clearly delayed for the Switch, unless you think it is just a coincidence both versions released with the Switch launch.

It's still speculation regardless. There are many different factors that can cause a delay, especially given that it's the most ambitious game Nintendo has produced to date.

ghibli99

That's really cool! Went to a Target tonight but didn't see anything. Maybe tomorrow at a different one. Games are everywhere and abundant. Pro Controllers too. Actual systems though... I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever find one. :(

gogojira

Toys R Us had a big MK8 archway to walk through when I went today. They also had a big Mario cardboard stand thing that said "take a picture with Mario" in the games section. Not quite as big as the Target deal but Nintendo is pushing hard right now.

It's still speculation regardless. There are many different factors that can cause a delay, especially given that it's the most ambitious game Nintendo has produced to date.

well, in an interview that was posted recently, it was revealed that BoTW's development was elongated by the sudden decision not only to pursue a Switch version, but to make it a priority, as opposed to the Wii U version, which was the only version that was originally planned. At one point, Miyamoto openly wondered why they weren't just migrating the game over to Switch entirely. Story framework and scenarios that were designed with the Gamepad in mind had to be changed and rewritten. It's a little different than the situation with Twilight Princess, where the game was developed to completion with Gamecube hardware in mind, to the point where the Wii version was identical with the product that the Gamecube version would have been with or without the port, save for small additions and changes that would come to be considered 'tacked on'.

Acerac

Banned
My favorite part about this setup is seeing random people's faces as they walk in and realize what the sound effects are. This has certainly reminded people of Mario Kart in a way that few tv ads could have, really smart marketing by Nintendo.

My fiancé stared at me as I started giggling when we went through the doors. We went home to play Mario Kart on the Wii U after that.

Talked to an employee and he said they hate it because most people think they're setting off an alarm.

My son loved it though:

oXf5LVj.jpg

Me any my girlfriend went to Target on Saturday night. I forgot all about the promotion. My favorite part of the whole thing was the MK starting sound effects when entering the store.

Top Bottom