• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inkling Boy & Girl are the first black non-Mii characters in Mario Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I welcome greater race representation in all media. This includes all video games. This even includes games that are "just Mario Kart."

Because contrary to the belief of many disaffected, it's kind of a big deal that one of the biggest franchises of the generation has non-white characters in it for the first time.

Splatoon has been great about representation and I'm happy to see it elevating other franchises as a result. I wonder if they'll also eventually be the first non-white fighters in Super Smash Bros?

That would be cool.

It would also be cool if the Mario universe in general, with its large cast of human characters, expanded to non-white characters as well.

Aren't Mario and Luigi Italian plumbers? I know it is a debated term, but technically people of Italian decent, specially those with darker hair are not black....but then he has a black mustache and blue eyes. So Mario is not even human.

Still if it makes people happy I am all for it.

edit: Also if we are all for diversity when is the time for a chubby latino man to be represented in video games, not as a stereotype, because that has never happened.

Malice215

It's a shame that people who say that they have no interest on the subject go out of their way just to crap on this. More skin tone choices are a good thing, and the brown-skin Inklings looks really good. It's not a tan when the eye color also matches the skin tone.

Can't wait for MK8D next week and Splatoon 2 when it drops. Stay fresh haters.

PSqueak

Banned
Black people in Mario Kart: 2
Black people in Crash Team Racing: 0

If you think about it, was there any white person in CTR?

Papu Papu is tanned, and the scientists had weird mutant skin colors (Blue for N. Tropy, Purple for N. Gin, Yellow for N. Cortex)

OceanBlue

I don't know what it's like being person of different race/ethnicity, but I feel kids with their innocence won't really care either.
I realize you're speaking specifically to Mario Kart, but I just wanted to say that minority representation affected me when I was a small child as well, but I didn't have the language to express it. It'd be small things like looking in the mirror after watching a lot of TV and randomly feeling dissonance because I looked different than people on TV. I remember specifically thinking that I forgot that I wasn't white. Obviously this is just my experience, but I don't think minority representation only matters to people at a certain age.

Are there even any black Mario characters?

Maybe in one of the RPGs.

The closest one I can think of is Kid from Mario Golf but that might not be the best example.

In the GBC game he looked like this
Kiddo.gif

When you brought him to the N64 he looked like this
26692dd315.png

And then in the GBA game he looked like this
Kid.jpg

I have no idea why there wasnt any consistency and the N64 design having those lips is a little off putting.

I didn't mean any offense with it. Was going to back out of the post entirely just in case it came across wrong with my bad wording, but didn't. Sorry about that.

Don't really want to edit it though as it'd look even worse, so I'll just add that I am really glad that they pulled the great diversity from Splatoon into Mario Kart in the process of bringing the Inklings over.

What you said, it is an opinion, but yeah you can say which inkling you design you like but in context of the thread when people are talking about race. It just makes sense you can't just say black looks better than white or the other way around.

Just saying, that is the wrong path you want to go.

This is a cool thing to take note of, Garrett. Thanks for making a thread on it. It's nice to see Nintendo taking steps toward more diverse characters. I find in most games when I have the option to choose or create a character, I go for people of color - probably because the industry was non-diverse for such a long time.

ChrisD

What you said, it is an opinion, but yeah you can say which inkling you design you like but in context of the thread when people are talking about race. It just makes sense you can't just say black looks better than white or the other way around.

Just saying, that is the wrong path you want to go.

I edited it with a bit more (edit took longer to make than I thought, should have made a new post!) to explain what was in my mind when I posted the first, but yeah, my bad. I wasn't really thinking about the greater topic at hand being discussed here and how out of place the post was.

BV9dnmC.jpg

Lrj0JvP.jpg

I want to dismiss the notion that the Inklings are just tanned by pointing out that the green ink one has an even lighter skin going for the porcelain pale side which also needs representation and I feel is a really nice touch. It shows they were aware of the changes

could you even choose one that white in Splatoon? I have to go check.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
And is that inkling girl wearing ganguro makeup? No.

It's just better not to engage that.

There is no proof that the vast multitude of darker skin colors that inklings can choose from in Splatoon is just variations ganguro. It's just a lazy "can't possibly be black" argument

ChrisD

BV9dnmC.jpg

Lrj0JvP.jpg

I want to dismiss the notion that the Inklings are just tanned by pointing out that the green ink one has an even lighter skin going for the porcelain pale side which also need representation and I feel is a really nice touch. It shows they were aware of the changes

could you even choose one that white in Splatoon? I have to go check.

I'm pretty sure every skin tone you see there you can also use in Splatoon itself. I feel like I've seen them all in-game, for sure.

Though I haven't looked at the Character Creation in over a year so don't quote me on it.

aadiboy

You realize they're actually tanned Japanese characters, right? Japan usually makes it clear when characters are black.

I'm pretty sure every skin tone you see there you can also use in Splatoon itself. I feel like I've seen them all in-game, for sure.

Though I haven't looked at the Character Creation in over a year so don't quote me on it.

the ink colors sure they rotate but was not sure if the Skin went that light before could be wrong though Splatoon did a really good job at representation though.

aadiboy

Go on then.

What exact shade does a squid-kid person need to be to count as black? I want to know.
You kind of get a sense of what characters are black by watching anime. These characters are not black. It's fine if you pretend that they are, but don't act like Nintendo is actually providing diverse representation in this game.

You kind of get a sense of what characters are black by watching anime. These characters are not black. It's fine if you pretend that they are, but don't act like Nintendo is actually providing diverse representation in this game.

They're ... squid kids. How do you denote whether they're black aside from skin color? Do you want them to give the darker skinned characters exaggerated features and afros?

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

From anime? lol
Once again, give me examples

Anime logic says every dark skin character has to have white hair

Kebiinu

Banned
You realize they're actually tanned Japanese characters, right? Japan usually makes it clear when characters are black.

You realize that Inklings aren't humans, right? There's no Japanese, American, or English. We're talking about representation of people of color, in general. So no they're not "tan Japanese" they're black/brown Inklings.

And if "makes it clear" meaning they stereotype the shit out of black people, like Mr.Popo and Jynx, then lol.

Deadass, what are y'all even tryna argue here? Inklings can't be black, just too much time in the sun? Get the fuck outta my face with that.

ChrisD

the ink colors sure they rotate but was not sure if the Skin went that light before could be wrong though Splatoon did a really good job at representation though.

I was talking about the skin, not ink. :)

Also, reading your whole above post, I see that I'm also in the wrong on the "white white," as well. I'm honestly ashamed to say, but I never really thought of the fact that some people will connect the most with the most porcelain pale (just going to use the same terminology) in the game. Me saying one skin tone looks better than the other, no matter which ones I'm talking about, was definitely the wrong road. Especially so in a thread about race.

My apologies again, but mostly thanks for calling it out. That's something I'll definitely remember.

Basketball

It kind of looks that way

There are lots of anime/manga characters with the same shade of skin but it's just a tan. It was an pretty obvious when there was the usual beach episode. Older characters in bikinis etc lewd things

Stupid Anime boys

Yall officially tripping, they make it clear by doing...?

Dynomutt

Anime logic says every dark skin character has to have white hair

For real people try to tell me Uub in GT was black because of his poor village and tone but this due had a KISS Mohawk.

Ambitiously tan should not automatically check the Black character check box. Put some thought and culture into it.

This whole 'they are just tanned' defense sounds like what a white supremacy nut would say to justify the game as being 'okay'

Nintendo is not trying to plant a flag in one camp or the other, they are just trying to sneak in some diversity. The Inklings Break Dance and Pop most of their time, their gear borrows a lot from early Hip Hop and other urban cultures. And borrows a lot from Japan as well.

Stop killing the dreams of some black and brown kids who want to grow up with these new heroes.

Go on then.

What exact shade does a squid-kid person need to be to count as black? I want to know.

how about we stop labeling fictional video game characters are certain races, and come to realize that not all video game characters need to have HUMAN ethnicities?

the fact of the matter is that inklings are NOT human, and therefore human ethnicities do not apply to them.

OUYA FROOYA

I was talking about the skin, not ink. :)

Also, reading your whole above post, I see that I'm also in the wrong on the "white white," as well. I'm honestly ashamed to say, but I never really thought of the fact that some people will connect the most with the most porcelain pale (just going to use the same terminology) in the game. Me saying one skin tone looks better than the other, no matter which ones I'm talking about, was definitely the wrong road. Especially so in a thread about race.

My apologies again, but mostly thanks for calling it out. That's something I'll definitely remember.

man it would be a better world if we could just say what we feel and think freely without others being offended.

I wish this thread never needed a reason to exist. The reason it exist is because something is lacking in the representation that some people like myself felt left out in.

I love the fact that I live in a world where skin color is as diverse as the palest white to the darkest black. I personally find beauty in all of it. The hate is real though and we can't encourage it.

I do not think you meant anything by your post that is why I said the wrong direction.

how about we stop labeling fictional video game characters are certain races, and come to realize that not all video game characters need to have HUMAN ethnicities?

the fact of the matter is that inklings are NOT human, and therefore human ethnicities do not apply to them.

OUYA FROOYA

This is like saying the 1000 year old dragon girls arent little girls because technically****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom