• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Last of Us - ND still having design issues in the AAA space (No Spoilers)

I have a lot of issues with the way ND has handled interaction and gameplay in the UC series mostly stemming from UC2 which is the more tedious and worse entry in the UC series for me. For this reason I have been late to playing the Last of Us.

With that out of the way I want to first say the game is quite a bit better than the 3 previous UC games for me so far (I'm about half way through TLOU, I think) and so far a lot of the gameplay issues as far as interaction are not nearly as present.

However; there are a lot of issues that ND just can't seem to get right when compared to other AAA developers.

AI partners feel silly and often get in my way and won't move, turning around to have an AI be next to you and not being able to move isn't exactly fun or working very well.

I can understand when they are running around and looking silly while running toward enemy AI or in the wrong way that it doesn't affect being seen to make the game easier, but these issues till look very silly.

Contextual game play issues - sometimes I need to go through a specific area that is always determined by a contextual movement path, such as tight spaces to squeeze through, small doorways etc

Sometimes the contextual area for these places are strange and don't really have a smooth area of transition or absorbing the transitions, sometimes you just get strongly shifted over two body sizes to the area it needs, other times you have to go out of the way to where it looks like you actually need to be to even get it to work.

The stair effect - Ok ND, it's cool that our characters touch every step and don't just morph up a ramp but you have created another issue while fixing this one. People actually can skip, jump down and use steps the way they see fit. I do not always feel this method of stair running is the best way to handle it. It needs to be more free moving while your characters animation properly syncs to the stairs in a wider range of generated animation that doesn't hamper running, jumping stairs etc

this feels even more strange in chase scenes when in movies you always see a lot of running and jumping multiple stairs, railings etc

Vehicles, man the vehicles - Well what can I say, they always feel really strange, smooth and like I'm on a roller coaster. The first scene is very evident of this and sometimes these basic things just aren't done very well by ND. I always feel their vehicles are some of the strangest feeling when compared to other similar AAA games (lol Ghost Recon...) most not all at least.

Fuck my shit up Fam - so the last point I think I can make with some of the issues with this game is that it's fine to have some broken, dirty places but surely not every single place would look like this? Surely someone has to keep an area clean even though they may not have running water etc

Surely some areas will be untouched, will not look like some thugs came in and beat the living hell out of it for no apparent reason, I get that it's fine to have areas that have been beat to hell due to boarding up windows and more, but some areas are simply going to be left alone and should actually look similar to how they may have looked before the issues begun, dirty, dusty and maybe water damage here and there, but not I got your shit fucked up fam sort of look. You go through buildings, with many floors and apparently someone had to make sure they go damage every corner of the building up in a fit of baseball frustration or something.

These are my biggest issues that sort of take me out of the experience a bit in an otherwise well made heavy atmosphere world.

Overall, I am enjoying the game but wanted to point out some of these issues that likely often get over looked in the otherwise well made parts of the game.

I am still not sure what happens at the end of the game so I am looking forward to that as I have sort of seen it said in some manner that it's not good but I actually don't have any idea what it actually is.

I do believe this sort of game helps with ND's style a lot more than UC, as story and being more slow and methodical are more a part of this than trying to throw in climbing, jumping etc which becomes overly tedious with how they handled it.

*I have not played UC4 yet, so I am not sure how they have changed or kept some of these issues the same.

Hopefully for TLOU2, they can work on some of these issues to bring a even more realistic experience to the table.

Edit *

Just finished the game, overall I did like it even though apparently posters keep trying to tell me I am lying to myself over and over.

Overall, the story and atmosphere is good. There actually is a less beat to hell location in the game even though I wish it played a bigger role and had more emphasis in the lore (that place is is the farm house) So, at least they did consider it a bit.

I did enjoy the location shifts but the combat and issues from my OP obviously were never going to be rectified. (It was never said or created in the idea that the game isn't good or wasn't made well for what it is) it was to show that the issues of game play and ND design has not changed much.

Overall, I'd give this game around 8.4 out of 10 or so. The ending could have been a little longer IMO but it seems to hold it self up well for a sequel and some other cause (Whatever they wanna do, it seems)

It isn't really the ending I expected but it was good enough, last area of the game was one of the weakest but at least a lot of the stuff before that was overall good

As per Uncharted not sure if I could ever replay it cause it's so constrained and the gameplay isn't that great, if there was a mode where it had no enemies and I could just visit the locations and such then maybe, but knowing the story and have already seen the areas not sure I'd go back to it. Maybe one day in the future if there is ever someone around that is interested in seeing it then I'd do it.

TLoU is one of those games that it's worth playing through once but never again. I mean, I'd consider trying to get platinum if not for the trophies for the multiplayer mode I have absolutely no interest in. The plot is interesting and I do enjoy the character interactions, but the mechanics aren't great.

Memento

I think you should finished it first before anything. You said you are probably half through it, the second half is where shit goes down. Especially Winter.

In regards to your points, it seems like a lot of nitpicking + your problem with some fairly common conventions in the AAA space.

I am biased thogh. TLOU is by far my favorite game.

TLoU is one of those games that it's worth playing through once but never again. I mean, I'd consider trying to get platinum if not for the trophies for the multiplayer mode I have absolutely no interest in. The plot is interesting and I do enjoy the character interactions, but the mechanics aren't great.

Grounded mode more than justified a second playthrough for me. But I share your lack of interest in the multiplayer. I'd forgotten that it even existed tbh.

Makes me wonder if they are going to address the AI sidekick issues for TLOU2 or is our tech not ready for that

On the contrary, the game play is what kept me coming back to do multiple playthroughs. The dynamic switch between sneaking around and straight up action was some intense fun. Reminds me of some kind of MGS/RE4/Uncharted hybrid.

JessePJ

Neo Member
I only agree that the partner AI can be tweaked and improved in the sequel.

The rest of your of your points seems a bit nitpicky I think?

The vehicles feel strange? Well ok I think Uncharted 4 fixed that with its jeep sections which feel like proper handling vehicles.

Bedlam

AI partners: I found them pretty good in this game actually compared to many other games with sidekicks. Never really had any issues (except maybe immersion breaking-related issues because they can't die - which is still preferable to the frustrating alternative of game overs due to stupid sidekick deaths)

Contextual game play issues:
wat. Are you saying some triggers for scripted scenes do not work properly? Never had issues there as far as I can remember.

The stair effect:
wat

Vehicles:
yeah the horse feels a bit funny but still very competent. No real problem here in my opinion.

Fuck my shit up Fam: Well, due to the scenario most places are deserted and many have seen fights between factions and over looting. There are clean places in the game, you know, where people actually still live. Be it a basement or something larger. Finish the game before you criticize it here.

squidyj

Could you actually go ahead and make the comparisons you seem to think are so obvious OP? you say they fail in comparison to other AAA devs but you don't actually make the comparison for us.

Also people who passed on the multiplayer missed out.

Also people who passed on the multiplayer missed out.

I make few exceptions for singleplayer shooters on console, but mulitplayer? Haha, fuck that shit. My only exception for that is Splatoon, for various reasons, but mainly because gyro makes aiming less of a garbage fire. TLoU remastered not having gyro aiming is a massive missed opportunity. Seriously, the DS4 has gyro but nobody ever fucking implements it as an option...

wedca

I played through multiple times and I barely remember Ellie or any of the other companions getting in my way at all, like a handful of times. I was expecting to have problems since Ellie is with you so much but that wasn't really the case for me, it was a pleasant surprise.

I had to think for a moment about the vehicles comment, since you never really control a vehicle other than riding a horse which was not bad. I can see what you mean about it being too smooth in the intro but I guess it didn't bother me since I was in the role of a passenger.

squidyj

I make few exceptions for singleplayer shooters on console, but mulitplayer? Haha, fuck that shit. My only exception for that is Splatoon, for various reasons, but mainly because gyro makes aiming less of a garbage fire. TLoU remastered not having gyro aiming is a massive missed opportunity. Seriously, the DS4 has gyro but nobody ever fucking implements it as an option...

your loss.

Bedlam

I make few exceptions for singleplayer shooters on console, but mulitplayer? Haha, fuck that shit. My only exception for that is Splatoon, for various reasons, but mainly because gyro makes aiming less of a garbage fire. TLoU remastered not having gyro aiming is a massive missed opportunity.
Splatoon's gyro aiming was probably what bothered me the most about the game. I found it way less precise than aiming with analog sticks.

Anyway, TLOU's mp is actually unique and pretty great. Kind of ignorant just to brush it off with "fuck that shit".

Sande

Sounds about right. Mostly really minor things that could use some ironing out. Although I'd argue that ND is not behind others in any of these aspects. The AI thing, kind of, but it mostly stems from how active, involved and dynamic they wanted to make the AI. Of course they could have easily made it very passive where the companions always hang way back and you'd pretty much never have any issues with it.

The stair effect - Ok ND, it's cool that our characters touch every step and don't just morph up a ramp but you have created another issue while fixing this one. People actually can skip, jump down and use steps the way they see fit. I do not always feel this method of stair running is the best way to handle it. It needs to be more free moving while your characters animation properly syncs to the stairs in a wider range of generated animation that doesn't hamper running, jumping stairs etc
Joel can run up stairs pretty fast iirc. I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.

dl77

I think the OP should look up photos of Pripyat as it is now to see how much difference basic neglect makes. When I've played the game it looked to me that ND put a hell of a lot of effort into trying to realistically reflect the decay from 20+ years of abandonment.

taizuke

Believe me i hate multiplayer trophies but TLOU's are some of the easiest. It is time consuming but as long as you plan stuff out is all a matter of finishing each faction.

There are other multiplayer trophies but those are not required for the plat.

Wabba

This is a lot of nitpicking. An not too be harsh on your opinions, but i disagree with almost everything you said.

AI partners: There are some times that Elli walks in the line of sight of the enemies, that can break the immersion, but i have never had any problems with AI getting in the way. There have been times where some would stay in the way, but they move quickly. And i have played through the game multiple times. If you criticize TLOU here you have to do that will almost every game out there.

Contextual game play issues: Naughty Dog is hands down the best in the business at his so i can't see the problem here.

The stair effect: This works perfectly. I can't remember that this was over used in the game. They learned their lesson from U3 and toned it down a lot in this game.

Vehicles: The only vehicles scene is when you control the horse for a short time. I agree that some animations can be a little cluncky especially jumping, but the horse feels pretty responsive.

Fuck my shit up: Finish the game because there are some places that is untouched. But when there are hundred of thousands of people alive that dont have food they are going to search everything. Mix that with clickers that are walking around and breaking things. If you search for Pripyat or Tsjernobyl you can see how fast a town turn to shit.

i think tlou is better than Uc4

Played UC1-4 and thought they were all okay games. Enjoyed the characters, but didn't really care much else about the game.

Loved everything about TLOU. Music, plot, graphics(I never found UC games to look as good as everyone said they were), and gameplay.
Multiplayer in both series are pretty fun though.

IC5

I didn't play this game very long. If I remember correctly: Very early in the game, you are supposed to help facilitate a deal for some guns. Apparently its a better idea to sneak in and hold up the arms dealer, than send terms for a deal.

So you gotta sneak past like 13 guards or something. Except, oh, I can just jog straight for 50 feet and veer slightly left, under some ship containers. Unseen. From here, the goal is a 90 degree right turn from under the containers. Then straight, and 90 degree left to the room you need. Only guy in the way, is standing at that left. So, run straight and dive left to-----automatic cutscene. No big deal.

Some other stuff too, which is very typical of post apocalypse entertainment media, which annoys me. We've got monsters running around, but everyone is super busy stealing, cheating, and beating the shit out of each other, like some bangers.

And Joel has no gear, but can see through walls like Sam Fisher. Maybe you can turn that off, but I was kinda done with the game, to bother.

I'm sure there is a solid story in there. But the framing was super cliche for me.

I think you should finished it first before anything. You said you are probably half through it, the second half is where shit goes down. Especially Winter.

In regards to your points, it seems like a lot of nitpicking + your problem with some fairly common conventions in the AAA space.

I am biased thogh. TLOU is by far my favorite game.

Other AAA games have a lot of the same issues, but Half Life 2 was getting a lot of the physics and gameplay structure down long ago.

I feel they should just think some of the typical game play conventions with how they develope level progression and interaction as they haven't changed that aspect of their game play up a whole lot.

These things can be pretty simple, instead of forcing me to drop a ladder with level design that forces very simple and forced placement, just create your game play/level design where it's physics based and I can pick up and drop the ladder with ease. it's these sort of things I feel they have gotten to use to in their overall design philosophy that is starting to show age.

They are doing well on overall stories, overall visuals but still feel they can re thinking a lot of things that they have been sort of doing for over 10 years now. I hope they can just intertwine the overall game play experience in a bit better to have more depth as it hasn't come very far (at least up to this game) I'm not expecting a huge difference in UC4 though honestly.

Joel can run up stairs pretty fast iirc. I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.

Maybe you don't understand what I mean, it's a forced movement that is basically like putting an animation over your movements. I am saying they should opt for new tech, tech that mixes control and animation more. This was always very obvious in UC when the game would feel more like an on rails movement transition when hitting stairs and such.

I feel they have the talent to do the things I am saying somewhat (not the vehicles apparently) sometimes it just takes an idea and to try it to get it in. I am glad they are adding in more phsysics but things are still way too static for this type of game, doors that are actually half way open that just don't move, tlou needs a door opening physics mechanic much more so than UC. It feels more like a painted world than a world most the time and something ND has never changed.

As for more stair effect issues this is what it is

In the past old games use to have you running up stairs like ramps so they didn't take into account of how you actually have to step on the steps, ND fixed this but having your character actually hit and run on steps but after many years they have not expanded on this idea, I should be able to run , jump from step two to four/five without having the game force me to each step in a forced animation study. But, this is a lot of what ND's work is, it's not open ended enough to expand on movement and game play options, same thing for their doors, forced set ups and AI. All of these things tie into the same basic developer mindset, they force a lot of things through animation.

Take a game like Halo 3, the AI is much more dynamic, the vehilces are much more dynamic and that's for the type of game it is.

Take games where you are opening doors slowly and push them open based on actual real time logic instead of static form which has plagued ND games since well forever. I think ND should hold their gameplay and physic based systems to a higher standard, when they do it a bit it works out well and makes the game feel more alive, such as the cardboard boxes.

The other problem is, they run through so many of these routine animation and forced situations than sometimes they don't account for the animation and what the level creators have made, and you end up with someone shimmering through gap that is wider than three people but they are pushing through like it's collapsing on them. They are getting to in tune to forcing the gameplay situations and animations, other than that I believe this game has been a lot better cause when you mix all these issues in with UC/climbing it is a lot worse.

Van Bur3n

And Joel has no gear, but can see through walls like Sam Fisher. Maybe you can turn that off, but I was kinda done with the game, to bother.

Higher difficulties do not have that mechanic. I first played on Survival(?) and never knew it existed in the game. Definitely recommend playing on those difficulties.

Only issue I had with The Last of Us is how static the environment is during encounters. I found a lot of encounters in the game can be prevented if I simply had the ability to close a door or drag a body, but the characters only gain the magic idea of closing doors when the scripted storytelling allows it. If you're going to allow stealth in your game, do it right.

Allowing a bit more interactivity could take what is already pretty fun gameplay and perfect it.

Bedlam

I didn't play this game very long. If I remember correctly: Very early in the game, you are supposed to help facilitate a deal for some guns. Apparently its a better idea to sneak in and hold up the arms dealer, than send terms for a deal.

So you gotta sneak past like 13 guards or something. Except, oh, I can just jog straight for 50 feet and veer slightly left, under some ship containers. Unseen. From here, the goal is a 90 degree right turn from under the containers. Then straight, and 90 degree left to the room you need. Only guy in the way, is standing at that left. So, run straight and dive left to-----automatic cutscene. No big deal.

Some other stuff too, which is very typical of post apocalypse entertainment media, which annoys me. We've got monsters running around, but everyone is super busy stealing, cheating, and beating the shit out of each other, like some bangers.

I'm sure there is a solid story in there. But the framing was super cliche for me.
The first one or two hours after the intro are by far the worst part of the game. Not really bad or anything but very standard and uninteresting. After that the game really takes off, however. Too bad you didn't get over that part.

And yeah, you can tune difficulty and turn off batvision. In my opinion this game is best played on hard difficulty. It's not insanely hard but you have to be careful, you cannot just outrun the enemies and resources are a more scarce so you have to actually manage that stuff and think about what you're using.

Bedlam

These things can be pretty simple, instead of forcing me to drop a ladder with level design that forces very simple and forced placement, just create your game play/level design where it's physics based and I can pick up and drop the ladder with ease. it's these sort of things I feel they have gotten to use to in their overall design philosophy that is starting to show age.

They are doing well on overall stories, overall visuals but still feel they can re thinking a lot of things that they have been sort of doing for over 10 years now. I hope they can just intertwine the overall game play experience in a bit better to have more depth as it hasn't come very far (at least up to this game) I'm not expecting a huge difference in UC4 though honestly.
The ladder/plank thing is one of the very few valid criticisms here. Nothing that brings down the overall excellent quality too much but it definitely is used too often for how constrained the mechanics are.

The first of the game wasn't too bad, not great but the "2nd" main area is by far the worse so far, it's too much UC2 and just shouldn't have happened IMO

The issues I have with ND wont change no matter what levels are in the game, but the levels could be better than this part later on at least as some of you are saying on the winter sections.

I sort of didn't know it had winter :( but that's ok

The ladder/plank thing is one of the very few valid criticisms here. Nothing that brings down the overall excellent quality too much but it definitely is used too often for how constrained the mechanics are.

I get a lot of people don't care about physics and how you interact in the world but it makes a game feel much better to me, even Soma does it and it barely needed to show that type of interaction and movement, looking for loot and finding things more realistically would be more fun to me.

If I was over seeing this game my first idea would be to make the areas more rich and have it more fun to break things.

You can't even break windows in this game, I'd rather they just revamp the game design and engine a hole lot before releasing their next game.

Would be more fun to me to blast open glass doors, kick doors on enemies charging me etc instead of all this forced static stuff. This is a game they are trying to make very atmospheric and detailed but they only do it in art and story IMO

Bedlam

In the past old games use to have you running up stairs like ramps so they didn't take into account of how you actually have to step on the steps, ND fixed this but having your character actually hit and run on steps but after many years they have not expanded on this idea, I should be able to run , jump from step two to four/five without having the game force me to each step in a forced animation study.
I see what you mean. Give it one more game from ND and they'll probably take that extra step (huh huh).

Take a game like Halo 3, the AI is much more dynamic, the vehilces are much more dynamic and that's for the type of game it is.
Completely different game / genre and therefore different priorites. If I we would start nitpicking Halo games to death with what TLoU does better, we'd be here for some time. And it'd be just as stupid of a comparison.

Neither Halo 3 nor HL2 does take any character animations into consideration when traversing the environment. They don't really have to since they are FPS. What ND did with the TPS genre over the years is already astonishing; how every new game they put out feels and plays notably better and much more immersive it is. Please show me other third person shooter games (!) that do the things better that you nitpick in this thread.

I sort of didn't know it had winter :( but that's ok

OP it sounds as though you went into TLOU ready to pick it apart since it's an ND game. No offense but you don't really seem like you will care one way or another about the fact that it has winter because you're playing the game and looking at it out the gate as a flawed ND experience.

I don't know how well I can explain what I'm trying to say but my face is tired.

I see what you mean. Give it one more game from ND and they'll probably take that extra step (huh huh).

Completely different game / genre and therefore different priorites. If I we would start nitpicking Halo games to death with what TLoU does better, we'd be here for some time. And it'd be just as stupid of a comparison.

Neither Halo 3 nor HL2 does take any character animations into consideration when traversing the environment. They don't really have to since they are FPS. What ND did with the TPS genre over the years is already astonishing; how every new game they put out feels and plays notably better. Please show me other third person shooter games (!) that do the things better that you nitpick in this thread.

I am saying the gameplay interaction isn't very good, not that it should be like Halo. Halo does game play design very well for the type of game it is, for the type of game TLOU is trying to be they can be doing a lot better on how the AI moves, how it is set up and how it attacks you.

Much like the static play of most of the game, the AI is set up in the same way, it's sort of created as you hit certain parts of the level, clear out this area, hit the next corner of the map and it again triggers AI that just walks around til it gets near you. Repeat this over and over and this is how you battle the AI, it's hardly anything impressive or fun to play against.

I enjoy the game for what it is but if you dont think the points I am making cant be greatly improved upon then I'd simply ask why not? (this isn't directed to you, but others who can't handle simple critiques of a game)

I can find things to critique in any game, this is just for discussion, not to hate on something one may find as their favorite or one of their favorite games. I think ND has a long way to go in gameplay design where other's have excelled in doing some things that ND could implement. Atleast have breaking windows and some door mechanics even if other things still stay static.

I just remember how bad the running and hit detection looked and felt at the start of the game, having real physics that don't force you into an animation but into a physics transfer would go a long long way.

Your AI partners have the same issue, when you bump into them nothing happens, it will eventually get into a contetual side step reaction from your AI teammateits but that's it. This is something a lot of games can work on as far as interaction goes though for sure.

Bedlam

I get a lot of people don't care about physics and how you interact in the world but it makes a game feel much better to me, even Soma does it and it barely needed to show that type of interaction and movement, looking for loot and finding things more realistically would be more fun to me.
Again, FPS vs TPS. See above.

If I was over seeing this game my first idea would be to make the areas more rich and have it more fun to break things.

You can't even break windows in this game, I'd rather they just revamp the game design and engine a hole lot before releasing their next game.

Would be more fun to me to blast open glass doors, kick doors on enemies charging me etc instead of all this forced static stuff. This is a game they are trying to make very atmospheric and detailed but they only do it in art and story IMO
In my opinion stuff in videogames that focus on their physics engine often breaks way too easily, in unrealistic fashion and it ruins the immersion just as much if not more than more static environments. The latter was definitely the more fitting choice for TLoU rather than a anything goes sandbox.

Again, ND made huge steps forward with each game and steadily elevated the TPS genre.

Please cite other TPS games for comparison, not Halo3, HL2 or Soma.

goonergaz

Just don't use the feature? I mean, you have to press a button - just don't press it - nah, much better to just not play the game. lol

The Last of Us is their best game IMO but it's far from the game play masterpiece everyone seems to herald it as, with enemy AI (or lack thereof) being a central pillar as to why.

The Last of Us, like Uncharted, I've noticed is pretty bad about telegraphing its "beats" I guess. I almost always know what's about to happen before it happens and it's almost always as a result or how they set up arenas for various enemy types.

For example, the dam:

You KNOW there's going to be an invasion of non infected enemy types because they conspicuously litter the area with defensive cover.

I think you need to remember that game development is all about compromises. I'm sure ND would love for their car physics in that one 5 minute driving scene to be on par with Forza 6, or to have a 'department of stair running' where 12 people work full time capturing dozens of ways for people to interact with stairs.

When making games you have a limited amount of time, money and personnel, and you just prioritize what you think is more important and make the best game you can within those constraints. I think TLoU nailed most things pretty well in my opinion.

Wabba

I agree with what you are saying, and this is already addressed in Uncharted 4 where you can destroy much more of the environment. You have to remember that this game came out in 2013 on PS3. So it was already running at the limit of what they could achieve. Make windows and other object breakable would not have been possible when you have such limited RAM.

Bedlam

I think ND has a long way to go in gameplay design where other's have excelled in doing some things that ND could implement.
I don't think so, at all. None of your examples conviced me of that because they don't fit the comparison.

The vibe that I'm getting from your posts (apart from a few valid criticisms, some of which are already adressed in UC4) is that you want more of a physics sandbox. TLoU isn't that game. And not every game should be that kind of game.

I had to laugh at the "AAA space". What production of absolute garbage are you referring to here?

Yes ND games have massive flaws, lack depth and need a lot of improvement. But the bar is so fucking low that they are still way ahead of the curve.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Sande

In the past old games use to have you running up stairs like ramps so they didn't take into account of how you actually have to step on the steps, ND fixed this but having your character actually hit and run on steps but after many years they have not expanded on this idea, I should be able to run , jump from step two to four/five without having the game force me to each step in a forced animation study.
You can go slow, you can go fast, you have full control. I'm pretty sure you can even sprint in stairs. They don't lock you in some rigid animation.

I'm trying to think if there are some specific stairs in the game that work how you're describing it but I'm drawing a blank.

I think you need to remember that game development is all about compromises. I'm sure ND would love for their car physics in that one 5 minute driving scene to be on par with Forza 6, or to have a 'department of stair running' where 12 people work full time capturing dozens of ways for people to interact with stairs.

When making games you have a limited amount of time, money and personnel, and you just prioritize what you think is more important and make the best game you can within those constraints. I think TLoU nailed most things pretty well in my opinion.

The other vehilces you see through out the game also have the same issue, it isn't just about physics but that they have no movement or immersion to them.

The dumpster actually rolls a lot more realistically at least though, more so than any of the cars. There is one part where the car is hit and has a realistic animation, but you can tell that is more like a mocap situation or something.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As someone who is usually pretty critical of Naughty Dog's work, I don't agree with most of this at all. Presentation and attention to detail in aesthetic and audio is Naughty Dog's crowning glory.

That being said, inconsistency in place space navigation and thus context of game systems is definitely an issue that constantly crops up. I feel with The Last of Us they got it mostly right, and it's their best example of such. But Uncharted as a serious is bloated with inconsistent instant kill falls and jumps, and ledges you can grab and other times cannot. Drake does what the story needs, or what the jump puzzle requires, rather than what actually makes sense to the player. They've gotten a lot better with it though, as going back and playing Uncharted 1 shows how nonsensical some of the level navigation is.

The companion AI quirk is a difficult one, because I don't think they tech is quite there. The Last of Us, for example, is elevated by having Ellie and co in tow. The banter and experience of journey works best as a team. Reality is programming believable AI that is also coherent and fair in response to opponent AI is extremely difficult; how do you make them move and engage convincingly, but also make sure they're not overpowered or so underpowered you're babysitting them? Finding a middle ground where their presence is noted by the opponent AI, but their presence doesn't feel disruptive to your own pace of play, is what leads to stuff like The Last of Us where it's wholly unrealistic. You just have to look past it, basically, so when Ellie bugs out a bit and runs past an opponent AI who takes no notice of her you just accept it and keep on going. But I get that's subjective.

You can go slow, you can go fast, you have full control. I'm pretty sure you can even sprint in stairs. They don't lock you in some rigid animation.

I'm trying to think if there are some specific stairs in the game that work how you're describing it but I'm drawing a blank.

it ins't full control, it's a forced speed of walk or sprint, two ways, but obviously far from full control. You can't make either of them slower or faster for example. how many ways can I go up stairs in other games? speed wise? Its the forced animation system causing such things.

I get people will say, oh you are whining about the way you move up stairs, but the point is thi sis whow the whole game works through tons of interactions.

guek

Banned
I agree with everything in the OP except maybe the stair animation stuff. I never even noticed it.

My biggest beef with TLOU from a gameplay point of view is how uninteresting encounters become. Almost every encounter is trying to maximize stealth or running around using chest high walls for cover. In either case, it got repetitive for me by the end of the game. The same goes for ladders, generators, and pushing Ellie in water while she floats on a board.

I don't think the story is all that original or engaging either, though the presentation does live up to the game's reputation.

People love the shit out of this game though so I try not to rain on their parade by griping about it too often in various threads where people are gushing over it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Top Bottom