• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touhou Community Thread | Highly Responsive to Posts

Those M-1 skits are all silly hilarious. I love that kinda stuff.

Also do you guys think a "how to play" section is important there? The Wiki links to every game are there mostly for that but I don't know.
Game-specific mechanics (like IN's familiars and meter) should probably be left to the wikis, but it wouldn't hurt to mention things that are in all games like focusing, spell cards (both player and boss versions), and the hitbox. Other topics that cross games and might be worth mentioning are the score items, grazing, and the auto-collect line.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
- If we aren't interessed in playing the games, we can't even be spoiled of the ending. That goes against my beliefs. Even if ZUN opened up pretty much everything he made to the fan-base and only asks to hide that... I mean, why not the coding of the game instead?! I am interessed in the universe and the culture involved but, unfortunately, not in the games.
Can't you just watch the story scenes on YouTube? Otherwise, don't Touhou games have difficulty options, so you can just cheese it on easy mode or something?

cuc

There in fact is an ending wiki. With a lot of mistranslations and unfinished work perhaps, but it's useable.
http://touhouendings.wikkii.com/wiki/Main_Page

ZUN has just announced on twitter, Touhou 14.3 is about to gone gold.

EDIT:
The quality of the fan translations vary wildly. You go from EoSD's downright surreal script to IN's awesome one.
IIRC the EoSD translation is actually more faithful than the IN one (not that it can't be improved, obviously). The original EoSD writing is just that surreal.

Can't you just watch the story scenes on YouTube? Otherwise, don't Touhou games have difficulty options, so you can just cheese it on easy mode or something?

For someone not terribly interested in the gameplay, easy mode is still rather difficult. In addition, I think most of the games give you a bad ending on easy mode.

Scher

For someone not terribly interested in the gameplay, easy mode is still rather difficult. In addition, I think most of the games give you a bad ending on easy mode.

Yeah, a lot of earlier games require you to get a 1cc on normal or higher, although that was changed starting with UFO (I think? I know MoF required normal or higher, but don't know about SA). Even worse, EoSD doesn't even let you go past stage 5 if you're playing on easy. Sakuya will just mock you and tell you to suck it up and play on a higher difficulty. Also, I'm not sure if the PC-98 games required a 1cc run on normal or higher, but I kind of just assume they do since EoSD and later did.

cj_iwakura

There in fact is an ending wiki. With a lot of mistranslations and unfinished work perhaps, but it's useable.
http://touhouendings.wikkii.com/wiki/Main_Page

ZUN has just announced on twitter, Touhou 14.3 is about to gone gold.

EDIT:
IIRC the EoSD translation is actually more faithful than the IN one (not that it can't be improved, obviously). The original EoSD writing is just that surreal.

"I guess I'll eat you then."
"I'm really delicious."
"Let's see, how to remove unnecessary portions.."
"(Does it really say that in there?)"

cuc

I'll try to fix it up. The following is based on the wiki, with corrections by me:
Marisa: "Whoa, so many books. I'll take them in one fell swoop later."
Patchouli: "Don't carry them off!"
Marisa: "I'm gonna carry 'em off."
Patchouli (looking at her book): "Let's see... How to passively do away with the black thing before my eyes..."
Marisa: (That's actually written in there?)
Patchouli: "Hmm, my eyes have gotten worse lately."
Marisa: "Isn't that because the room is so dark?"
Patchouli: "Perhaps I have an iron deficiency."
Marisa: "If anything, it's vitamin A."
Patchouli: "How about you?"
Marisa: "I have enough. Of a lot of things."
Patchouli: "Then shall I help myself?"
Marisa: "I'm really tasty."
Patchouli (looking at her book): "Let's see... Is there a simple way to remove the foodstuff's raw taste..."

(Patchouli boss battle)

Marisa: "Seems like magic's your thing. Anything else you got up your sleeves?"
Patchouli: "Sob sob. I have anemia, so I can't finish reciting the spells!"

Fixing the mistranslations does make the joke better. But they are still weird jokes. "How to passively do away with the black thing before my eyes" (a pun referring both to Marisa and night-blindness) is one of several infamous EoSD lines that became memes in the Japanese fandom.

upandaway

That definitely reads better (thanks!), but they're a lot more similar than I thought. It's not that big of a deal.

Yeah, a lot of earlier games require you to get a 1cc on normal or higher, although that was changed starting with UFO (I think? I know MoF required normal or higher, but don't know about SA). Even worse, EoSD doesn't even let you go past stage 5 if you're playing on easy. Sakuya will just mock you and tell you to suck it up and play on a higher difficulty. Also, I'm not sure if the PC-98 games required a 1cc run on normal or higher, but I kind of just assume they do since EoSD and later did.
SoEW and SA are both fully beatable on Easy, I'm pretty certain. LLS started the trend of Easy not pulling you through the final stretch.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
So wait, all Touhou games are beatable on Normal right? Because that's the difficulty I intend to start off with since I'm just sampling them for now.

upandaway

So wait, all Touhou games are beatable on Normal right? Because that's the difficulty I intend to start off with since I'm just sampling them for now.
If you use a continue at any point on any difficulty, it sometimes stops you a bit short (sometimes before the final stage, sometimes before the final phase of the final boss battle) and also gives you a Bad Ending. On the games where Easy doesn't "fully beat" the games, all it means is that on Easy it's treated as if you continued even if you didn't.

Realistically people new to the series would use continues regardless, so there's no point thinking about it until you know you can 1cc one of the games.

cuc

That definitely reads better (thanks!), but they're a lot more similar than I thought.
Which was exactly my point. The fan patches of Touhou games are greatly hindered by mistranslations, but disregarding the translations, many Japanese players still find the dialogue in Touhou games baffling. They are closer to manzai-style witty back-and-forth than the usual video game comedy.

If you use a continue at any point on any difficulty, it sometimes stops you a bit short (sometimes before the final stage, sometimes before the final phase of the final boss battle) and also gives you a Bad Ending. On the games where Easy doesn't "fully beat" the games, all it means is that on Easy it's treated as if you continued even if you didn't.
That's inaccurate in a way. The only games where the gameplay will be cut short due to continues are the PC-98 games SoEW and LLS, which shouldn't even be recommended to people just trying out Touhou games.

IIRC the only games that will be cut short at Easy difficulty are LLS and EoSD.

In short, "game being cut short" is not something newcomers should worry about beyond EoSD.

Tain

As a new player just avoid using continues either way. It's more fun and it'll make you much better in the long run!

cuc

Continuing can help a player unlock more stages for Practice mode.

For that matter, I'd suggest most players to get save files that unlock everything so they can play any stage they want. If you prefer to unlock them on your own, you can just choose not to use them.

The unlock file pack I used (almost everything unlocked, except certain IN stage+character combinations):
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E04D86FB0C8F489C!150&authkey=!APgfZz_emY73BTE

Another pack found on the internet (contains a better IN save file, both packs are pre-DDC):
http://www.mediafire.com/?gmgzdhemntz

Oh, right. What really matters and should be in the OP:

MoF, SA and UFO use a different continue system, where you have infinite continues (instead of the other games' limited numbers), but continuing will restart you from the beginning of the current stage.

Scher

Continuing can help a player unlock more stages for Practice mode.

This is probably the most important part of just using continues if you're learning. Unlocking the stages for practice mode is very useful just so you don't have to play through all the stages if you wish to focus on a single stage that's causing issues. It's easy enough to just barrel your way through the game to unlock stages, and personally, I think it's a lot more fun having the choice to pick whatever stage you want. It's nice to be able to skip over stages that may not be particularly as interesting.

It's fun to go back to these games every so often. I don't play nearly as often as I used to, and my "skills" have suffered from it. I can barely get past stage 4 in DDC on normal now. A couple years ago, I had a few normal 1'ccs under my belt (MoF, IN, LLS, TD) and even managed to beat Suwako.

And now apperently there's a new side game shooter that I didn't even know existed. I may try it along with the StB games, which I always skipped for some reason.

I'd play Labyrinth of Touhou, but I've been playing Etrian Odyssey 2 and thats enough dungeon crawler for me right now.

One thing I remember being useful if you're finding yourself plateuing is to turn the difficulty up a notch for awhile. You get used to that difficulty, and then when you turn it back down, those tougher parts suddenly don't seem as tough (usually).

upandaway

Starting Touhou Mother again slowly since I never had the opportunity to finish it (or even get to 1/3rd in, I think), and man, I know that it's very rough around the edges, but just playing it makes me feel really happy! I don't know what it is. It's not MOTHER but it definitely has tons of charm. I love how it uses the same style of cheeky excuses for gameplay conventions, haha

cMofOgg.png

zmNxdtV.png

WWqsBoC.png

The beginning is somewhat of a homage to EB but I remember it branching into its own thing fairly quickly, we'll see though.

Oh, right. What really matters and should be in the OP:

MoF, SA and UFO use a different continue system, where you have infinite continues (instead of the other games' limited numbers), but continuing will restart you from the beginning of the current stage.
I'm currently super burnt out on the OP but if someone wants to donate a beginners' gameplay guide or something it will be welcomed (I'm still not convinced that people will make use of it but oh well).

One thing I remember being useful if you're finding yourself plateuing is to turn the difficulty up a notch for awhile. You get used to that difficulty, and then when you turn it back down, those tougher parts suddenly don't seem as tough (usually).
I can confirm that this works! My first 1cc was a run that I made immediately after trying a harder difficulty for a change of pace. I couldn't believe it!

As a general rule, if I want to practice one of the first 3 stages, I practice on one difficulty higher. It works like magic in preventing those pesky absentminded deaths that like to happen early.

cuc

Some Reitaisai 11-related game news:

The doujin store chain Melonbooks now takes preorder Touhou 14.3 "Danmaku Amanojaku ~ Impossible Spell Card", as well as releasing new screenshots and cover art, gathered here.
UsXZdwW.jpg

Twilight Frontier's new game is their first shooting game ever, the side-scrolling "Shoot Shoot Nitori". The name is a pun for "Collect & Carry". It's clearly inspired by TUMIKI Fighters, where you stick enemy parts on your craft for MAXIMUM destruction power.

Strawberry Bose will release an expansion pack for Part III in their RPG trilogy, "Touhou Genmu Youtan ~ The Nightmare of Rebellion", called "Ran" ("Upheaval"). Trailer

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I'm currently super burnt out on the OP but if someone wants to donate a beginners' gameplay guide or something it will be welcomed (I'm still not convinced that people will make use of it but oh well).
I'm 90% sure I'd make use of it, seeing as I'm not only new to Touhou but bullet hell games in general.

And if you don't feel like typing a whole guide, just some pointers would help!

Scher

I can if no one else wants to.

I actually would like to. I've got nothing to do for the next couple of hours, so I can take the time to try and type up some information that would be useful for beginners. I would just need a good idea of what would be considered particularly important for beginners to know, because it's been a while since I first played the games and kind of don't think about what people will often not know when starting.

cj_iwakura

I actually would like to. I've got nothing to do for the next couple of hours, so I can take the time to try and type up some information that would be useful for beginners. I would just need a good idea of what would be considered particularly important for beginners to know, because it's been a while since I first played the games and kind of don't think about what people will often not know when starting.

All yours then. I would've done silly overcomplex stuff like taken screencaps of the boundaries, spell cards, and hitboxes, so I guess you saved me a bunch of time. :p

upandaway

You guys are great. I'll let Lele know so he can hopefully add it in when he has the time.

Twilight Frontier's new game is their first shooting game ever, the side-scrolling "Shoot Shoot Nitori". The name is a pun for "Collect & Carry". It's clearly inspired by TUMIKI Fighters, where you stick enemy parts on your craft for MAXIMUM destruction power.
This one looks really neat. Those are the happiest sounding trumpets I've ever head :lol

Scher

All yours then. I would've done silly overcomplex stuff like taken screencaps of the boundaries, spell cards, and hitboxes, so I guess you saved me a bunch of time. :p

Alright, well I've got hitbox, spellcards, shift focus, point of collection, grazing, and streaming as a general list of stuff I think a beginner needs to understand. Does that seem fine for basics, or is there anything else that y'all would consider absolutely necessary?

cj_iwakura

Alright, well I've got hitbox, spellcards, shift focus, point of collection, grazing, and streaming as a general list of stuff I think a beginner needs to understand. Does that seem fine for basics, or is there anything else that y'all would consider absolutely necessary?

Sounds good, unless you want to get in-depth on the differences between Marisa and Reimu.

upandaway

Continues, difficulty levels and bombs differences between games seem like they would confuse beginners, I think, might be worth a mention.

Also holy crap those ISC screenshots cuc posted. Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa.

Scher

Sounds good, unless you want to get in-depth on the differences between Marisa and Reimu.

I might give a general overview of differences, but I think the differences between them and their shot types is something that would be better to leave to experimentation.

Continues, difficulty levels and bombs differences between games seem like they would confuse beginners, I think, might be worth a mention.

Okay, continues and bomb stuff is probably worth mentioning, too.

Thanks for the input! Once I get something typed up, should I just go ahead and post it in the thread and let y'all do whatever with it from there?

Ahhh, I need to play that sometime! It took me forever just to get all the Touhou mods working for San Andreas, and then I never played it.

Scher

Alright, I'm going to go ahead and post this in here. Feel free to tell me if anything should be added or if any information is either confusing or a little off. Some of the stuff I've typed is admittedly from memory, since I had problems finding some information to reaffirm what I typed, so hopefully there aren't any egregious issues. Anyways, this should be most of the general basics you should know for playing Touhou games.

Hitbox
To give a proper definition of a hitbox, it is defined as:
an invisible shape commonly used in video games for real-time collision detection.
In other words, this is the area on your character that determines if you've been hit or not! Generally, hitboxes will encompass an entire character in some manner, but Touhou hitboxes are quite different. Your hitbox in Touhou is defined by a small circle on the characters waist. This means that even when a bullet collides with your character, it does not kill you unless it hits the small circle.
CDEAwnQ.png

Hey, hey, you see that white circle on Reimu? Don't let anything touch that!
In EoSD (6) and the games before that, it was not possible to actually view your hitbox. Because of that, you would generally have to become intimate with your hitbox through experience. However, in PCB (7) and beyond, your hitbox will become visible when you shift focus! Speaking of shift focus:

Shift Focus
Starting with LLS (4), holding shift will make your character go into focus mode. What this means is that you will start moving much slower, allowing you to be much more precise with your movements and prevent you from careening into a bullet and dying as a result! As mentioned earlier, starting with PCB (7), focusing makes your hitbox visible. Focusing will also alter your shot type, generally making your shots more focused in the forward direction. Also, starting with MoF (10), focusing increases your range for collecting power ups and all that fun stuff!

Additional note: In the case of EoSD, you can download a patch that will provide a visible hitbox when focusing.

Spell cards
Spell cards are essentially the source of all the pretty, colorful bullet patterns that bosses use to kill you. Starting with EoSD (6), bullet patterns that the bosses use are generally split between non spells and spell cards, with spell cards typically being the more complex and potentially gimmicky patterns. For each non spell and spell card, there will be both a health bar and a timer. In order to get past these, you must either deplete the boss’s health bar for that attack, or survive until the timer counts down to zero. When a boss is using a spell card, the name will be displayed in the top right corner along with “Bonus #” and “History #/#”, which is the number of times you have captured a spell card out of the number of times you have challenged that spell card.
BdnLUSV.png

The history acts as a testament to your continuing failure.
Spell cards are captured by successfully beating the spell card without dying and without using a bomb. By capturing a spell card, you will receive a number of bonus points as indicated by “Bonus #”.

Continues
Continues are a fairly basic concept to games, in general, and is simply the option to continue the game if you reached a game over by losing all your lives. There are two important things to keep in mind about continues in Touhou games.

• First, most of the games have a continue system where if you run out of lives, choosing to continue will place you back at the point where you died. However, you only have a limited number of continues. For MoF (10), SA (11), and UFO (12), the continue system was changed so that using a continue placed you back at the beginning of the stage you are currently on. In exchange, these games gave you an infinite number of continues.
  • Second, in order to get a good ending, you must complete a 1 credit clear (1-cc) of the game. If you use a continue, you will no longer be on your first credit and you will receive a bad ending upon completing the game.

Bombs
Bombs are spell cards used by you, and are generally fairly powerful attacks that clear a significant number of enemy bullets off the screen while providing you with a period of invincibility. Also, if you use a bomb within a small window of time immediately after being hit, the bomb will prevent the loss of a life. Bombs have gone through a fair amount of change throughout the series. Originally, there was a counter for bombs and you would acquire more bombs at different points of the stages. This was changed starting with MoF (10), where bombs no longer had a separate counter and, instead, using a bomb depleted your power gauge. This was changed once again in UFO (12), where there was a counter for bombs, but new bombs were obtained by collecting bomb parts. Once enough bomb parts were collected, another bomb was acquired.

Point of Collection (or Auto-Collect Line, as others have called it)
The point of collection is an invisible line towards the top of the screen. If you go above this line, items will gravitate towards you at a fairly quick speed, saving you the trouble of flying around the screen to pick them all up. Starting with MoF (10), the point of collection is shown to you at the very beginning of a run.
IUwegRg.png

Cross that line if you want to die get rich.

Grazing
Grazing is the concept of getting really really close to a bullet without actually touching it. If you like high scores, grazing is for you! The whole point of grazing is to reward super aggressive players who like to dance with death by giving them inflated scores. Grazing is present in the series starting with LLS (4), although it was not present for MoF (10). Oh, and I guess PoFV (9), but that game doesn’t count!

Streaming
Streaming is a fairly basic concept in bullet hell games that is extremely useful and very important to understand. It is not uncommon for enemies to fire bullets in a straight line at your location, or for spell card patterns to have certain bullets aimed at your position. As such, you can easily control these bullets being aimed at you by simply moving slightly to the side. Here is an example of streaming (SA stage 6), where it can be seen that the player slowly moves in order to lure all the bullets into a particular spot.

Difficulty Levels
The Touhou series has four different difficulty levels, which include Easy, EasyNormal, Hard, and DeathLunatic. There are a few important issues to make note of with regards to difficulty levels. First, certain games will only allow you to see the good ending only if you are playing Normal difficulty or above. Second, if you wish to access the Extra stage (Note: You do), then you must 1-cc the game on Normal difficulty or higher. Third, Easy mode is for elementary children only.

But seriously, Easy mode is a very good way to get accustomed to the game and begin learning the basics if you are having issues with higher difficulties. I'm sure no one will mock you for it. Not at all.

Hopefully this is a useful overview of general game mechanics. Keep in mind, though, that most of the games have mechanics specific to that game. You can generally get by without really understanding game specific mechanics, but if you wish to gain a better understanding of individual games, the Touhou wiki provides plenty of useful information.

Adaren

The doujin store chain Melonbooks now takes preorder Touhou 14.3 "Danmaku Amanojaku ~ Impossible Spell Card", as well as releasing new screenshots and cover art, gathered here.
UsXZdwW.jpg

My doubts about this game are rapidly fading.

19b08186.jpg

Yuyuko in her full death-butterfly glory!

upandaway

Really cool Scher, it looks very clear and useful. If you want suggestions:

Focus was also added with grazing starting in LLS
Unless I missed it in the post, I think death-bombing is worth a mention
EoSD has a popular patch for focus hitbox for people who want it (though it invalids replays/scores in the community)
Point items are worth more the higher up they are, and power items are worth more the more you get after you're at max power
How lives are gotten (most games it's in score checkpoints, but in MS it was just the number of point items you got regardless of actual score)

There are two exceptions that I don't know if they're worth mentioning, but in SoEW you can get to Extra by 1cc'ing all 3 shot types even on Easy, and in IN the continues aren't a set amount with the whole advancing the clock.

I agree about linking to it from the OP

The thread still needs info on the spinoffs. And more Fantasy Maiden Wars.

A good LP of the first Fantasy Maiden Wars:
http://lparchive.org/Fantasy-Maiden-Wars-E/
Well you can always post a little about the spinoffs you like! I personally haven't played any of them and only saw a little so I'd love to hear opinions.

Oh wow, why dint I notice this thread sooner? Great Job OP! My personal favorites are:

TH8
TH9 (WE NEED A NEW GAME LIKE THIS! DAMNIT ZUN!)
And all the fighters.

Ive yet to beat any of the non fighting ones fully. Closest ive gotten to beating one is maybe TH9.....but that 1cc run with Komachi can be brutal at the end! Second closest is TH8. I just cant seem to survive Kaguyas spell card at the end of the main campaign after Eirin.

Also kind of sad how now people think Touhou is just Porn / Moe......fandom sometimes damage the image.

Scher

Really cool Scher, it looks very clear and useful. If you want suggestions:

stuff

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm slowly editing stuff in, but it may take a bit since I've got stuff to do throughout the day. I didn't really address IN's continue system since it's weird and specific to that game, so I figure people are best to just look that up themselves. Death bombing and point stuff I had thought about, but I forgot to actually type that. I'll also probably just append stuff about lives to the Continues section. Also, thanks for clearing up the PC-98 stuff! I barely ever touched those games, so I'm not too savvy about them.

cuc

(EDIT: misinformation removed)

The life gaining mechanics is one of the things that have varied the most through the series, so they can't fit into a guide. There are score threshold games (EoSD, MoF), and point item threshold games (MS, PCB, IN), then later games use life fragments which are tied to their unique mechanics.

There could be a short note that generally, scoring involves increasing the value of each point item (point item value, PIV), which is accomplished through mechanics specific to each game.

upandaway

But there is focusing in SoEW (would be unplayable without it). It also has some form of grazing, though I don't know the details - there is a cosmetic effect of spark from a graze at least. The main difference is that in PC-98 games, focusing does not alter the player's attack.

The life gaining mechanics is one of the things that have varied the most through the series, so they can't fit into a guide. There are score threshold games (PC-98 games, EoSD, MoF), and point item threshold games (PCB, IN), then later games use life fragments which are tied to their unique mechanics.

There could be a short note that generally, scoring involves increasing the value of each point item (point item value, PIV), which is accomplished through mechanics specific to each game.
I saw it in the wiki
Lotus Land Story is the first game in the Touhou Project to feature bombs that auto-collect items, graze counting, the ability to move more slowly by holding the shift key,

And from what I played of SoEW I didn't notice any focusing. Are you sure?

TreIII

I've yet to beat any of the non fighting ones fully. Closest ive gotten to beating one is maybe TH9.....but that 1cc run with Komachi can be brutal at the end! Second closest is TH8. I just cant seem to survive Kaguyas spell card at the end of the main campaign after Eirin.

You sound like me. In fact, how I got turned onto Touhou was through IaMP and MegaMari.

After getting good enough at IaMP that I was able to get through Lunatic-level of Story Mode with a number of characters. Then I basically just said "well, if I can do this here, why can't I try to do so in the main games?!" and so started giving Scarlet Devil a try.

...And #TheStruggle for me to complete one of those games on Lunatic is still very real for me. :lol

Also kind of sad how now people think Touhou is just Porn / Moe......fandom sometimes damage the image.
True, but you can say that about any fandom!

Evilisk

All I can say is, it's about time there was a Touhou Community thread

OP you're missing Touhouvania, Touhou Soccer and Danmakufu. I say the latter because The Last Comer/Mystical Power Plant are really great games on Danmakufu and are worth pointing out. I guess there's also Age of Ethanols (though that doesn't seem too popular from what I've seen).

upandaway

So apparently something crazy happened in chapters 14-15 of Forbidden Scrollery? I haven't read any of it yet but I'm super curious.

We should have weekly high score challenges too.

Starting this Sunday!
Haha and the winner gets to add one fangame or one character of choice to the OP!

I'd really be down for that if it was limited to a specific stage in stage practice. Doing 1ccs on demand is still beyond me.

Evilisk

So apparently something crazy happened in chapters 14-15 of Forbidden Scrollery? I haven't read any of it yet but I'm super curious.

I haven't really been following FS all that much but I recall seeing a page of
Kosuzu acting real creepy/weird around Akyuu
, though I'm not sure what chapter that was from.

We should have weekly high score challenges too.

Starting this Sunday!

Which game is this going to be for? Please not SA

cj_iwakura

I haven't really been following FS all that much but I recall seeing a page of
Kosuzu acting real creepy/weird around Akyuu
, though I'm not sure what chapter that was from.

Which game is this going to be for? Please not SA

I'm thinking EoSD or PCB.

Top Bottom