• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

LevelNth

Banned
Possible stupid question here folks, but I do not currently have an iPad but am 100% getting the 3 next month or whenever it releases.

Am I able to buy games now to my iTunes account while they are on sale?

AEREC

How is the Bard's Tale (on iPhone 4S)? Just saw on IGN where you get the original games with purchase. Ive always wanted to try this game too...and did not realize it was on iOS.

Jswanko

Quick OT question: Does anyone know how to activate Tweetmarker in Tweetbot? I've gone through the settings but I can't seem to find it.

jlevel13

Played some Awesome Land on my iPad and it's another of those godamn idiot games with the dpad and buttons are the very bottom of the screen. This shit is driving me insane! It's like the devs don't even play their games. And if they do, how the hell are they holding their iPads without getting wristache as its all top heavy and unwieldy? There have been some great platformers lately that do controls absolutely perfectly, but there are many more who completely botch it and leave their games virtually unplayable. Ugh, it makes me so mad!

Platformers? I always just have it sitting on the table in front of me on the little triangle stand/cover, tilted like a keyboard. You can't really play these games holding the pad. Even something like Doodle Jump, the pad is pretty unweildy (compared to the phones). Set it down for a platformer and controls at the bottom of the screen work great - I assume that's how most people are using a pad.

Yeah... I'm not feeling Awesome Land.. At all. It feels so bad compared to Mario Bros. and the gameplay and aesthetic unabashedly rips off Mario Bros. yuck.

Beat Sneak looks really cool though. Might grab that later

Jarsonot

Platformers? I always just have it sitting on the table in front of me on the little triangle stand/cover, tilted like a keyboard. You can't really play these games holding the pad. Even something like Doodle Jump, the pad is pretty unweildy (compared to the phones). Set it down for a platformer and controls at the bottom of the screen work great - I assume that's how most people are using a pad.

Y'know, I'm usually reclining in bed or on my couch. =) It's part of the appeal for me, not having to sit at my desk.

That's a good idea though, would make some games more easily played. I wish all developers would give an option to move controls though.

Zia

Here is the second part of an interview Edge conducted with Spry Fox co-guy, David Edery (first part is linked within the piece):

http://www.edge-online.com/features/talking-spry-fox

Interesting chat, as is the recent PopCast episode featuring other Spry Fox co-guy, Daniel Cook. Triple Town is so phenomenally intelligent, the perfect showpiece for "hardcore" (ugh) games done in the mobile and social spaces. I cannot think of a console game released in the last several years that asks as much of its players as Triple Town does to even see the skill ceiling. I know that, despite my dedication to the game, I'll never approach it.

dream

Here is the second part of an interview Edge conducted with Spry Fox co-guy, David Edery (first part is linked within the piece):

http://www.edge-online.com/features/talking-spry-fox

Interesting chat, as is the recent PopCast episode featuring other Spry Fox co-guy, Daniel Cook. Triple Town is so phenomenally intelligent, the perfect showpiece for "hardcore" (ugh) games done in the mobile and social spaces. I cannot think of a console game released in the last several years that asks as much of its players as Triple Town does to even see the skill ceiling. I know that, despite my dedication to the game, I'll never approach it.

I'm with you on this. I try to recommend Triple Town to pretty much everyone I know and about half of them can't see beyond the surface match-3 thing, get bored, and give up.

For me, there's so much more going on and I know I can't plan ahead and keep track of so many future milestones -- that's why I keep playing it. 250k is about my ceiling and, despite never having been a fan of high score type games, I really, really, really want to crack it.

Reese-015

Coincidentally bumped into this Phoenix HD trailer I had never seen, it shows off the beauty of the game nicely: http://youtu.be/qrc4_F-j6T4

It gets some buzz and has been out for a while but it's still a bit underappriciated imo. Gorgeous, fun and super-smooth shmup, one of the prettiest games on the platform.

Tobor

I'm with you on this. I try to recommend Triple Town to pretty much everyone I know and about half of them can't see beyond the surface match-3 thing, get bored, and give up.

For me, there's so much more going on and I know I can't plan ahead and keep track of so many future milestones -- that's why I keep playing it. 250k is about my ceiling and, despite never having been a fan of high score type games, I really, really, really want to crack it.

Same here. I play Triple Town every night to unwind, have for weeks, and I still suck at it. It's up there with Drop 7 in quality.

Zeth

Coincidentally bumped into this Phoenix HD trailer I had never seen, it shows off the beauty of the game nicely: http://youtu.be/qrc4_F-j6T4

It gets some buzz and has been out for a while but it's still a bit underappriciated imo. Gorgeous, fun and super-smooth shmup, one of the prettiest games on the platform.

It's a great shooter. I've been meaning to give it a go since the latest update. Beautiful on iPad.

BosSin

how the hell are they holding their iPads without getting wristache as its all top heavy and unwieldy?!

They adopt a rigorous training regimen which requires masturbating at least 10 times a day.
At the end of training they are able to play video games on 32 inch touch screens for hours on end

Pastry

Banned
Angry Birds Space comes out next month...if youre into that thing

I'm kind of excited about this. I avoided all of the Angry Birds spinoffs (Seasons, Rio) because they seemed like more of the same. If the new theme changes things up enough I'll probably enjoy this a lot.

Tobor

Probably rip off those games that have you trying to use the gravity of planets etc to slingshot your shot where you want it.

Is that really ripping anyone off at this point? Using gravity to slingshot around planets is a realllllllly old concept in games.

GeekyDad

And it's free right now.

Thanks for the heads-up on that.

Just started really getting into LoE2. Amazing game.

I really love the game too -- and I didn't play the first -- but as suspected, the virtual controls are problematic for me. For a game like this, you really need precision control, and all too often I'll think I'm pressing punch and he'll jump or I think I'm pressing right and he goes left. It doesn't help that my fingers obscure the view. Still glad I got it while it's on sale, though, as I hope to get that little doodad controller that was shown off recently.

What is LoE2?

VWz4k-1.png

I really love the game too -- and I didn't play the first -- but as suspected, the virtual controls are problematic for me. For a game like this, you really need precision control, and all too often I'll think I'm pressing punch and he'll jump or I think I'm pressing right and he goes left. It doesn't help that my fingers obscure the view. Still glad I got it while it's on sale, though, as I hope to get that little doodad controller that was shown off recently.

I haven't really had any problem with them so far. They seem pretty snappy, and I haven't had any issues with my thumbs covering the screen either; mecha-arm dude seems always be above the thumbline.

Regardless, it's an easy recommend at 99c. I don't know if it's still at that price point; if it is, everybody should get it right now.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Usually if I'm playing one of these dumb gimped games I'll sit on my sofa with a pillow on my lap and then use the smart cover in triangle mode to get some leverage. Works well for a compromise. But then you get games like League of Evil and Mos Speedrun and Paper Monsters and GTA CW with just pitch perfect controls (ie MIDSCREEN) and it just makes these lazy thoughtless controls seem so dumb by comparison. Even Super Crate Box is marred by this dumb method.

There's hundreds of these games and they all try to reinvent the wheel, and then you have games like League of Evil and they've totally sussed it.

EDIT: Actually, Awesome Land plays like shit even with my compromise playstyle. It's fine on iPhone though, I'll play it there instead.

Thanks for the heads-up on that.

To me the virtual controls are as good as it gets when it comes to touch screens. They're not perfect but they will never will be with touch screens

Nelo Ice

Banned
Just got Chinatown Wars and is it werid that i want the HD version even though I don't have an iPad? I almost can't resist getting it since it doesn't look like it'll ever be this cheap again.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just got Chinatown Wars and is it werid that i want the HD version even though I don't have an iPad? I almost can't resist getting it since it doesn't look like it'll ever be this cheap again.

I'm pretty sure it's been 99 cents in the past, but it's only 99 cents? If you plan to get an iPad go for it

Edit: I'm wrong, this is the cheapest it's been. Well, sure. I doubt it'll go free anytime soon

Nelo Ice

Banned
I'm pretty sure it's been 99 cents in the past, but it's only 99 cents? If you plan to get an iPad go for it

Edit: I'm wrong, this is the cheapest it's been. Well, sure. I doubt it'll go free anytime soon

Yeah I doubt it'll go free or it'll be a long while. I want to get an iPad eventually though it'll be long while till I ever get one, even if I do.

Buying games when they were on sale was one of the things that made my iPad awesome when I got it. Instant library! Especially when the games are this cheap.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Buying games when they were on sale was one of the things that made my iPad awesome when I got it. Instant library! Especially when the games are this cheap.

Speaking of which I wish I made an iTunes account before and just snagged everything when it was free/on sale. Course I gave up on getting an iOS device before this year so I never even bothered ><.

Speaking of which I wish I made an iTunes account before and just snagged everything when it was free/on sale. Course I gave up on getting an iOS device before this year so I never even bothered ><.

I missed out on some sales even knowing I could buy stuff on iTunes, because I simply didn't want to install iTunes. Imagine my anger when I brought my iPad 2 home and found it wouldn't even turn on until I connected it to a PC running iTunes.

I missed out on some sales even knowing I could buy stuff on iTunes, because I simply didn't want to install iTunes. Imagine my anger when I brought my iPad 2 home and found it wouldn't even turn on until I connected it to a PC running iTunes.

No longer the case with iOS 5, thankfully.

How's Trenches II?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom