• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU 2 prototype in development

guggnichso

Banned
lol... I was reading these exact things about Rayman Legends back when I first started browsing on GAF.

lol... this comparison makes no sense at all. ZombiU is out and we already KNOW what an integral part of the gameplay the Pad plays.

You can of course butcher all the pad features to make it playable on a single screen, but it would be a completely different game as in how it would play.

I was just recently hoping a sequel was in the works as I attempt my 5th try at beating the game in survival mode. I failed lol. The first game was so good and under rated. Better survival horror game than RE6 thats for sure. This news makes me very happy!

SmokyDave

I'd love to see it stay in the UK, but I'd be down for it spreading to other European nations. I just don't want it set in the US, which is such a tiresome setting for zombie anything. Works for some stories, but not for this. I need my 28 Days Later sim.

Multiplatform mostly due to the kind of middling talk about ZombiU's exclusivity coupled with the Wii U's market penetration. But you never know. Red Steel 2 was exclusive.

Paris, then. The Zombies have shambled through the channel tunnel, sacré bleu!

I caved in and bought the original for £20 with free delievery from Amazon.co.uk. (org. £25 - but minus tax since I'm abroad).

When even SmokeyDave says something Nintendo-related is good, I figured it's probably worth checking it out. ;)
Hope you enjoy it, man!

It's one of my favourite games in a very long time and my favourite survival horror ever.

cacildo

I like the Metroidvania style a lot. But an open world sequel with less limitations of the bat (ahah) could be amazing

Believe me, the game is incredible. Tense as fuck. Im on survival mode, more than 5 hours in. If i die, everything goes down the drain.

Please!

Zombi U was an absolutely amazing survivor horror game. It had a few flaws, but the game really shined as an overall gaming experience. Easily the best third party title on Wii U and in my opinion, the best title period. If you own a Wii U, do yourself a favor and purchase this title ASAP. It's worth full price, IMO.

A sequel with a larger budget, full development cycle, proper Development tools that likely weren't there for launch, etc... should make a sequel an excellent title. I loved the GamePad implementation but honestly would like to see it multi-platform so more gamers have the opportunity to experience the title if they don't own a Wii U. Fortunately, I'd say there is a good chance it will be multi-platform unless Nintendo works out something.

Edit: If a Zombi U sequel does go multi-plat, my only wish would be that the Wii U version utilize the GamePad in the same ways as the original, and possibly even new unique ways. Maybe they could add some of those options to Smartglass and PS3/Vita connectivity, though it may be best to just have separate variations for PS360.

I'd love to see it stay in the UK, but I'd be down for it spreading to other European nations. I just don't want it set in the US, which is such a tiresome setting for zombie anything. Works for some stories, but not for this. I need my 28 Days Later sim.

Multiplatform mostly due to the kind of middling talk about ZombiU's exclusivity coupled with the Wii U's market penetration. But you never know. Red Steel 2 was exclusive.

I agree it shouldn't be in America. As an American myself one of the things I liked about the title was the location and setting. It somehow added a lot to the overall experience, IMO. Another European country may be fine if done correct, but definitely need to stay away from America, IMO.

I expect multiplatform this time.

Yeah same here, but I'll get it on Wii u though

Had a fantastic experience with the first one and it really surprised me
Don't believe the reviews, this game was amazing and is pure survival horror, really made me tense

Just add online and a longer/bigger world and I'll be hooked again :D

Mmm, not really. I'm sure the team would love to do a sequel, but I'm guessing they're not much beyond the stage of pitching a prototype to Ubisoft and seeing how they go. Prototype would generally be considered a demonstration of ideas, not actual production of a fully greenlit title.

Still, if a sequel does happen, I expect the Wii U exclusivity to end, unless Nintendo has a say in the project that keeps it there. I think we'd see a Wii U version, but I can imagine Ubisoft would want to spread a greenlit sequel across multiple platforms, not one middling in the market.

If it does get greenlit I hope they keep the core formula intact, and just expand on the Metroidvania premise. Don't make it easier, as it was already plenty easy enough for a comfortable player. The game has a Metroidvania structure, expand it just like the likes of Super did over Metroid. Don't streamline. Don't appeal to the masses when you're sitting on one of the most legitimate survival horror designs around. The ideas are already great. Grow them, not stifle or change.

And for the love of fuck don't set it in bloody America.

EDIT: And for what it's worth, ZombiU is still my favourite game on the system, and of my best picks of 2012.

We have, though, many cases where an exclusive game received a multi-platform sequel, and the latter underperformed compared to the previous one; for example, Epic Mickey, or DeBlob.

ZombiU didn't set the chart on fire, but surely Wii U owners liked it. A sequel might well sell better, if released in a timely fashion (not like Red Steel 2), even if as a Wii U exclusive. But of course Nintendo should work on it, since Ubisoft would put the game on each platform.

xandaca

I'd love a ZombiU sequel, but the problem is that for its potential to be fulfilled, it needs to go bigger and more open-world. The sales of the original (and the state of the Wii U at present) mean Ubisoft would have to be completely nuts to shell out the kind of budget that would be required to make the game what it needs to be. I'd be perfectly happy if the exclusivity deal with Nintendo ended (just call it Zombi 2) if it means getting the best version of the game. The second screen stuff was nice, but there's no real reason a lot (if not all) couldn't have been done on the TV alone. Fingers crossed.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The history of Nintendo platform exclusives that then go multiplatform for a sequel is not a good one financially. If I was Ubisoft, I wouldn't try it.

I'd love a ZombiU sequel, but the problem is that for its potential to be fulfilled, it needs to go bigger and more open-world. The sales of the original (and the state of the Wii U at present) mean Ubisoft would have to be completely nuts to shell out the kind of budget that would be required to make the game what it needs to be. I'd be perfectly happy if the exclusivity deal with Nintendo ended (just call it Zombi 2) if it means getting the best version of the game. The second screen stuff was nice, but there's no real reason a lot (if not all) couldn't have been done on the TV alone. Fingers crossed.

moving the inventory to the tv would be an instant minus 15 points in any hypothetical review score from me, thats not even starting with the other uses of the pad

xandaca

The history of Nintendo platform exclusives that then go multiplatform for a sequel is not a good one financially. If I was Ubisoft, I wouldn't try it.

It didn't sell very well as an exclusive so there's not much for Ubisoft to lose. The saturation of zombie games on other platforms could work against it (Nintendo doesn't get a lot of those) but I can't see it doing any worse overall.

EDIT: As for the inventory on the TV, you just have one half of the TV showing the survivor rummaging and the other half representing the inside of the backpack. The same effect really, and same goes for most of the other touchscreen stuff.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I haven't played the original, are there some glaring issues with the game that should definitely be fixed?

A few bugs. Balance issues (smart players can easily cheese). Pretty basic world exploration (put this down to it being a launch title). And there's a segment towards the end of the game,
the carnival showdown
, that seemed totally at odds with the experience the game was trying to deliver.

I really don't think ZombiU has a lot of really bad fundamental flaws. Most of its "flaws" I can think of aren't so much flaws as evidence of a game built for a new system and pushed to make launch. That is to say the formula could obviously expand.

It's essentially a Metroidvania survival horror, and that latter genre in the absolute purest sense. All they'd need to do is expand the game's scope, simply building off the core formula, and they'd have one hell of a game.

A few bugs. Balance issues (smart players can easily cheese). Pretty basic world exploration (put this down to it being a launch title). And there's a segment towards the end of the game,
the carnival showdown
, that seemed totally at odds with the experience the game was trying to deliver.

I really don't think ZombiU has a lot of really bad fundamental flaws. Most of its "flaws" I can think of aren't so much flaws as evidence of a game built for a new system and pushed to make launch. That is to say the formula could obviously expand.

It's essentially a Metroidvania survival horror, and that latter genre in the absolute purest sense. All they'd need to do is expand the game's scope, simply building off the core formula, and they'd have one hell of a game.

the section you spoilered is where i'm currently stuck but i'm glad its there, adds a bit of variety to the game

The first game was a surprisingly great survival horror game, considering it's from a big publisher and has a goofy name. It's also probably the only proper showcase for good gamepad use (in a singleplayer game), it really added to the games feeling. Wouldn't be the same on other consoles and I wouldn't wanna see it dumbed down because of multiplatform.
Honestly, there wasn't even that much to improve outside of better graphics (obviously) and maybe a more profound melee combat.

Rehynn

And there's a segment towards the end of the game,
the carnival showdown

Ah, but it was a wonderful adrenaline rush! Cleared it on my first try (luck + my approach to the game in general proved to be a winning combo), but I was shitting my pants the whole time.

The first game was a surprisingly great survival horror game, considering it's from a big publisher and has a goofy name. It's also probably the only proper showcase for good gamepad use (in a singleplayer game), it really added to the games feeling. Wouldn't be the same on other consoles and I wouldn't wanna see it dumbed down because of multiplatform.
Honestly, there wasn't even that much to improve outside of better graphics (obviously) and maybe a more profound melee combat.

lego city has great game pad use too

oti

Banned
The first game is something special. It showed me that mastering a tough games can be fun. Now I bought Monster Hunter Wii U (which I just don't understand, I really need a teacher for that one) and Dark Souls (haven't started it yet) because of it.

I wouldn't mind ZombiU 2 not being exclusive for the Wii U. The GamePad adds to the atmosphere, but Ubisoft can surely find something just as cool for the other platforms. The more people play ZombiU, the better.

SmokyDave

the section you spoilered is where i'm currently stuck but i'm glad its there, adds a bit of variety to the game

I really didn't like that part. It was totally out of place. It felt like some half-arsed DLC that got crowbarred back into the game. Everything else was golden though.

Vagabundo

If I were Nintendo I'd be pushing for exclusivity. Throw in a Marketing budget, part fund development. Promise to sell a shit tonne of Wii Us :D.

cacildo

Ah, but it was a wonderful adrenaline rush! Cleared it on my first try (luck + my approach to the game in general proved to be a winning combo), but I was shitting my pants the whole time.

I liked it. But it took me SIX tries!

Lets see if i can survive it in survival mode!

the carnival showdown

Thanks. So as long as they don't tinker too much they cold have a solid franchise going forward.

Some people may find the controls slightly cumbersome, especially if they go into it thinking it's another FPS.

Which it isn't.

I'm assuming by 'cumbersome' you mean the controls are more methodical?

mmnmn no. There are one billion things to be expanded, but not a single problem that makes you say "The game wasnt good because of this"

The game is very very good, by the way

Yeah it seems word of mouth is strong, and reviews were solid too from memory.

Frodo

Hope they keep it in London. So many places they could use!

Also, no Arena this time. And maybe some more time polishing the game. First one is great, but sometimes it looks it was a bit rushed. One of the best survival horrors I've played though.

I liked it. But it took me SIX tries!

Lets see if i can survive it in survival mode!

tried it and failed like 10 times, almost did it the last time but zombiu has been neglected since lego city, gave it another couple of goes yesterday and died fairly terribly, will try again later or tomorrow

the carnival showdown

Couldn't agree more. A full development schedule, larger budget, with the experience gained on the platform should make a sequel an amazing game. The amazing atmosphere, refreshing survivor horror gameplay, etc... easily outweigh the few flaws in Zombi U, IMO.

Top Bottom