• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Switch Pro Controller worth it?

iphys

I actually don't like the dpad for Puyo Puyo Tetris this time around. I kept making accidental fast drops. Other than that, the Pro controller is phenomenal and I use it a lot for Zelda and Binding of Isaac. I'm sure the dpad will be fine for platformers too, but it just hasn't been clicking for me for Tetris the way that the n3DS XL does.

Go to the system settings and check your button inputs on the D-pad, because yours might be defective. At first I thought it was just overly sensitive and easily triggering diagonals and causing the hard drops, but then I discovered my D-pad was actually often triggering up instead of left/right, and that if I specifically tried to trigger diagonals it half the time only actually triggers the up/down component. Some people got D-pads so messed up a direction will trigger the photo capture. Get yours exchanged while you still can.

chekhonte

it is mushy, and not in the good way. way too resistant, though I may need to break it in.

I really prefer the clicky dpad on the xbox one controller. I have always been lukewarm on nintendo dpads since the NES. They have never felt right.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can you use the pro controller while the joycons are still attached to the switch in tabletop mode?

My joycons are misbehaving when separated from the switch so although il get Nintendo to replace them, I might buy a pro controller or spare joycons to keep me playing while I wait. Just need to decide which

Wagram

I really like it, much more than the Xbox and PS controllers this generation in fact.

Can you use the pro controller while the joycons are still attached to the switch in tabletop mode?

My joycons are misbehaving when separated from the switch so although il get Nintendo to replace them, I might buy a pro controller or spare joycons to keep me playing while I wait. Just need to decide which

Yes.

I thought my battery issue had been solved by using the official cable plugged into the dock but I went back to it again today and it was drained today when it had been full two days ago without being used. I'll call Nintendo support.

brad-t

I thought my battery issue had been solved by using the official cable plugged into the dock but I went back to it again today and it was drained today when it had been full two days ago without being used. I'll call Nintendo support.

Are you sure it was actually charging? For some reason mine didn't charge the first few times I plugged it into the dock. It seems fine now and I don't know what changed. I tried unplugging and replugging the dock, I guess ...

Are you sure it was actually charging? For some reason mine didn't charge the first few times I plugged it into the dock. It seems fine now and I don't know what changed. I tried unplugging and replugging the dock, I guess ...
The orange LED was on to show it is charging and had turned off to show it was full. I played for a few hours after that, not charging. But I have also seen that issue, of it not charging (=LED not turning on).

Shahed

So I'm gonna have access to a Switch for a little while. I plan on playing Zelda pretty much exclusively on the TV and was thinking of buying the Pro controller. Definitely worth it?

jack....

So I'm gonna have access to a Switch for a little while. I plan on playing Zelda pretty much exclusively on the TV and was thinking of buying the Pro controller. Definitely worth it?

Yeah. I was pretty happy with the Joycons but I picked one up on a whim and now I wouldn't play docked without it. Its awesome.

Go to the system settings and check your button inputs on the D-pad, because yours might be defective. At first I thought it was just overly sensitive and easily triggering diagonals and causing the hard drops, but then I discovered my D-pad was actually often triggering up instead of left/right, and that if I specifically tried to trigger diagonals it half the time only actually triggers the up/down component. Some people got D-pads so messed up a direction will trigger the photo capture. Get yours exchanged while you still can.

Interesting, thanks for the tip. I'll try to contact Best Buy and report back if that's the case.

Shahed

Yeah. I was pretty happy with the Joycons but I picked one up on a whim and now I wouldn't play docked without it. Its awesome.

Thanks. It's what I figured. Someone is lending me their Switch after they finished Zelda, so I figured the least I could do is buy them a Pro Controller or something. How's the battery life in comparison?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Honestly... no
I do prefer it over the joycons in form factor.
And the minus button is a little hard to reach.

But the joycon works fine and a joycon bundle nets you 2 extra player controls.
The dpad is ok not terrible..just ok
And the joys with the grip are ok!
And people that outright scream the joycons suck etc?
Nah.

The pro is just a small extra that is way too expensive. But if you got cash to burn hey get it!

Joei

Holy shit thanks a bunch! Been trying to order one from Best Buy because I've got some credit there, but fuck it's been hard to find these in stock anywhere.

For sure man. I've been wanting Best Buy as well cause I have points I could have applied to this, or even Target for a few bucks off with my Red Card, but this will have to do. Glad I didn't drive 2 hours the other day to get one (a Walmart about an hour away from me has had them in stock for the past week, I called to verify... it's a Walmart kind of in a countryish, low population area).

Triteon

I really like the Pro, to the point I don't want to play the Switch in handheld mode because I don't like switching to the Joy-cons.

Its not so much that the Joy-cons are terrible or anything its more than the button placement works far better on the Pro

brad-t

I really do love this controller but I have serious concerns about the d-pad. I've definitely pulled up the Rune menu when I wanted to swap weapons many times, and using the controller test function in system preferences, presses on the left and right buttons have to be perfectly placed to register reliably — hitting the top or bottom of those buttons can cause it to register as up or down respectively. Pretty annoying and explains what I had read before about people accidentally dropping pieces in Tetris.

Instro

Oh I'd be interested in the actual real world tested numbers for this. And all the new accessories from Nintendo actually. Nintendo's quoted figures probably don't match real world numbers. If this has already been tested I'd like to see if someone has a link

I wish there were for my piece of mind. I keep seeing other people saying they are getting better battery life than what I am getting. Not sure if they are fully turning off their consoles, or doing something else differently so it's hard to tell.

dock

Is there a dock for the pro controller? I always use a dock for the PS3 and PS4 controllers.

Really happy with the pro controller. Played 80 hours of Zelda using it, and it's really comfortable. My only grumbles are the plus/minus and home/screenshot buttons being impossible to read in a dimly lit room.

Yes! I basically never remove them.

iphys

I really do love this controller but I have serious concerns about the d-pad. I've definitely pulled up the Rune menu when I wanted to swap weapons many times, and using the controller test function in system preferences, presses on the left and right buttons have to be perfectly placed to register reliably — hitting the top or bottom of those buttons can cause it to register as up or down respectively. Pretty annoying and explains what I had read before about people accidentally dropping pieces in Tetris.

For such an expensive controller with such high expectations, I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned at all in the media with all the hysteria over docks scratching screens and Joy-Con disconnection issues. For me, the most blatantly obvious sign it's a defect and not just a little overly sensitive about triggering diagonals is that it doesn't always register the direction you actually pressed in addition to the bogus direction, and the majority of the time I can't get the thing to even register diagonals if I actually press two directions at once: all I get is the up/down component.

MrKeinov

Its battery life is phenomenal. I would't think twice on giving 70$ to get a Dual Shock 4 with 40 hours of battery life. It feels pretty premium too. If you are playing solely in docked mode, you should get it. Joy-con grip is poop.

Top Bottom