• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q1 of 2017 is ending, what are your thoughts on it?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Arguably(?) the best first quarter of any year in gaming history in general. Imagine how I would view it if I actually played the games that I didn't play. I would have a backlog to the backlog. lol.

Alex

Sorry bud, I understood the first game as a Vita novelty but I really didn't think the sequel was needed, not in the manner it released that is. I was pretty disappointed because I thought the franchise had merit now it's probably never coming back.

ron_bato

It was a fantastic start to the year for gaming.

I enjoyed Resident Evil 7 a lot and a great return to form. It was among my most anticipated games for the year and did not disappoint.

Horizon Zero Dawn was also excellent, and is perhaps my favorite open world experience that I've played thus far (up there with Witcher 3).

I was really rushing to finish Horizon in time for Mass Effect, but I think now I'm going to take my time with it considering the issues with ME:A.

Hopefully this year continues to deliver. I honestly dont konw what's in store for Q2 as a lot of my focus was on this initial batch of releases.

Best opening to a year I can remember. Really enjoyed my time with Nioh, Yakuza and Horizon. I'll pick up RE7 when it's cheap cuz it also looks really good.

Glad I've got a breather here with Nier refunded and no interest in dating sim RPGs (Persona/ME:A). Get to finish some backlog stuff up before Yooka Laylee.

It was pretty damn fantastic and I haven't even gotten to Nioh, Nier, Horizon, GR2, or Zelda yet.

Its true tho, Ive never seen this amount of high quality games clustered into a Q1 let alone any quarter and Ive been gaming for a long time. I hope 2017 keeps the momentum.

It's been a fantastic year for me. In release date order, I've played:

- Gravity Rush 2: Dropped it after 5 hours or so. It's kinda boring and reminded me of why I left GR1 back then.
- Tales of Berseria: The best Tales of game in a decade, fantastic story.
- Digimon World Next Order: I needed the nostalgia, but I dropped it for Andromeda.
- Nioh: Best combat in RPG ever, so satisfying. Still my GOTY so far
- Horizon Zero Dawn: My favorite PS4 game. It's an amazing game as a whole package.
- Mass Effect Andromeda: I'm currently having a blast with it despite the janks. It's a Mass Effect game all right.

Next up:
- Persona 5

Backlog:
- Nier Automata
- Bloodborne
- Dark Souls 3
- Yakuza 0

I'll be set until summer, or even autumn.

Exentryk

Been a good quarter. Finished:
- KH 0.2 (Awesome teaser for KH3. Enjoyed it a lot!)
- KH DDD (Flowmotion is the real MVP, plus that 60fps KH goodness)
- NieR Automata (currently playing - it's soooo good!)

Then to Persona 5, Cosmic Star Heroine, FF12 HD, Ni No Kuni 2, etc. Damn, what a great year in gaming!

It's been a fantastic year for me. In release date order, I've played:

- Gravity Rush 2: Dropped it after 5 hours or so. It's kinda boring and reminded me of why I left GR1 back then.
- Tales of Berseria: The best Tales of game in a decade, fantastic story.
- Digimon World Next Order: I needed the nostalgia, but I dropped it for Andromeda.
- Nioh: Best combat in RPG ever, so satisfying. Still my GOTY so far
- Horizon Zero Dawn: My favorite PS4 game. It's an amazing game as a whole package.
- Mass Effect Andromeda: I'm currently having a blast with it despite the janks. It's a Mass Effect game all right.

Next up:
- Persona 5

Backlog:
- Nier Automata
- Bloodborne
- Dark Souls 3
- Yakuza 0

I'll be set until summer, or even autumn.

WTF is Bloodborne in your backlog? Get on with it, bruh...play it NOW!

Kindekuma

Banned
Beat Zelda tonight so I'm all worked up. Goddamn Q1 2017 has been insane. For me I've been been busy with Gravity Rush 2, Zelda, and NieR Automata. Definitely want to give Horizon and Yakuza 0 a shot as well. I've also got Re7 but I haven't had any time at all really to sink time into it.

In between all those games I've finished Bloodborne and Metroid Prime (yearly playthrough), so the past few months have been nothing but good games. Now to start Q2 with Persona 5!

The Hermit

Been a great few months, but, I'm sad that most people will probably think Zelda is the best game to come out of this quarter.

actually despite the fact that it is pretty amazing, Zelda didn't overshadowed Nier or Horizon as much as I expected.

Finished Zelda yesterday ( main story) and installing Nier right now.

Rokal

A stunning start to the year. I think 2007 was the last time we saw so many amazing games so concentrated.

It's a bummer that ME:A looks like such a mess, but it's hard to get too sad about it so many other great games having come out in the same quarter.

If there was every any doubt about whether this gen would catch up to last gen in innovative quality releases, Q1 of this year erased it.

WTF is Bloodborne in your backlog? Get on with it, bruh...play it NOW!

I've just bought my PS4 in December. I played it for a bit that month (beaten the first two bosses) but I dropped it due to Final Fantasy XV (big mistake) and the surge of new games this year. I couldn't contain the new games hype. I always told myself "I'll get back to Bloodborne after this", but so far it's still drifting away lol.

I've just bought my PS4 in December. I played it for a bit that month (beaten the first two bosses) but I dropped it due to Final Fantasy XV and the surge of new games this year. I couldn't contain the new games hype. I always told myself "I'll get back to Bloodborne after this", but so far it's still drifting away lol.

We'll let it slide if you promise to start playing it soon. Like, really soon.

Kindekuma

Banned
I've just bought my PS4 in December. I played it for a bit that month (beaten the first two bosses) but I dropped it due to Final Fantasy XV (big mistake) and the surge of new games this year. I couldn't contain the new games hype. I always told myself "I'll get back to Bloodborne after this", but so far it's still drifting away lol.

I did the exact opposite lol. I was playing through FFXV and then dropped it for Bloodborne. Even though I completed all of BB, I still haven't gone back to XV yet, I heard they botched the Pro patch so I'm not sure if I wanna go back to the game.

Theswweet

Fantastic, fantastic Q1. So far I've played GR2, Nioh, Nier: Automata, and Zelda. I've got Yakuza 0 on my backlog and I'll get to Digimon World: Next 0rder PS4 eventually as well. I'll grab RE7 when it goes on sale below $30.

jb1234

I played through Hollow Knight, Breath of the Wild and am currently working on Horizon. NieR and Tales of Berseria both await me. It's pretty insane.

Wanderer5

Resident Evil 7 was great and Breath of the Wild was quite excellent, with a big possibility of being my GOTY. More than happy with the games I had gotten into.

Overall it did look like a pretty damn good quarter. Keep it up 2017 hopefully. For Q2, I am currently looking forward to just Prey at the moment, through have some thoughts about Fire Emblem Echoes too.

Only game I bought this quarter was Digimon World: Next Order but lots of games I plan on getting eventually. I plan on getting Gravity Rush 2 (when it gets around $20), Horizon: Zero Dawn (when I get a PS4 Pro and a new TV), The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (when I get a Switch) and Rain World (releases next week) for sure.

GamerJM

Banned
It felt like what I feel like is typical of a Q4 release period at least the very. I haven't played most of the stuff I want to play yet so I'm reserving judgment, but while I probably don't necessarily think it's "best quarter ever," mostly because some quarters are insane in terms of sheer quantity (seriously, go back and look at like, 2000 Q4), but I think what's really impressive is that games delivered here on a level AAA games don't really deliver anymore. Zelda and Horizon both seem like no-bullshit business practice AAA games that are every bit as good as the people who hyped them up to be. Nier seems to be the perfect melding of Platinum and Yoko Taro that everyone dreamed about. It's amazing first and foremost because of expectations, because we live in an age where even when a game is amazing, there's still often some kind of a catch regarding DLC or microtransactions or the game just simply not even really being completely finished to the level people want it to be. This time that didn't really happen outside of Mass Effect.

Zeneric

re7 made the quarter a great quarter for me. currently playing nier automata on pc. it's fun. terribly optimized tho.

Neolombax

Best quarter I've seen ever for video games, personally at least. I don't think the rest of the year is able to keep up the momentum, but hey, maybe I'm just a pessimist.

Zubz

Banned
... I really should've picked up something else alongside Digimon World. It's good, but it underwhelmed while I kind of slept on everything else. I'm torn between NieR, Horizon, & Yakuza 0 (I'd jump straight onto Gravity Rush but I still need to beat the first). As somebody that loves compelling plots & goofy-but-complex action, which one should I go for?

I also forgot I had Specter Knight's campaign & River City Ransom for awhile. I should pick those up, too.
And Half-Genie Hero; I have not had much time these past few months for video games

dippa

Neo Member
Big quarter for AAA games - probably the best first quarter since the start of the PS4/Xbox One era - and the Switch has done quite well, but it feels like it's been a real quiet period for indies. Usually there would have been one or two real standouts that became big commercial successes, but that doesn't seem to have been the case this time.

Stuff like Night of the Rabbit have done alright, but it's not on the same level as, say, The Witness, SUPERHOT and Stardew Valley within weeks of each other.

2015? Darkest Dungeon pops out, Hand of Fate, Sunless Sea, Grow Home all come out and do real well. The year before that you had The Banner Saga in the first quarter, Nidhogg, Jazzpunk and Octodad.

I'm sure I'm missing stuff, but this year just seems like the pendulum has shifted a touch to the big titles. Which isn't a bad thing: it's great that the major AAA games are all delivering.

Enzo88

I only played re7 and zelda.

RE7: amazing game, easily best RE since the fourth.
Zelda botw: probably the greatest game ever.

I would say pretty good quarter XD

I am still finishing zelda, after that i plan to get horizon/nier,nioh.

ASIS

Amazing Q1. Although I think the only real tragedy is the lack of Tales of Bersaria mentions.

It's a good game people, probably one of the best Tales games ever.

OniBaka

Amazing Q1. Although I think the only real tragedy is the lack of Tales of Bersaria mentions.

It's a good game people, probably one of the best Tales games ever.

Shit I forgot that on my list, I'll redo it.

Resident Evil 7 - Great
Ni Oh - Great
Tales of Berseria - Crazy
Yakuza 0 - Crazy
NieR Automata - SSS Crazy

tootie923

Early 2017 for me was mostly backlog. The only new game I've played fully so far is RE7. I had high expectations and those were met easily. I put Zelda off because of the release proximity to ME:A, but then the general jank and poor gay male romance options of ME:A put me into a funk. So now I'm playing Dishonored 2 until ME:A is patched some more. I'm leaving Zelda for late spring, early summer when I have more time.

TWILT

Banned
Zelda, Tales of Berseria, Nier Automata and Yakuza 0 have all been excellent and will probably all make my GotY list. I skipped out on them because I needed to save, but I'll definitely be picking up Ni-Oh and Horizon some time later too.

TKM

Q1 isn't over yet, is the best I can remember, and DLC makes it even better.

Gravity Rush 2 The Ark of Time: Raven’s Choice, downloaded and haven't started.
Final Fantasy XV: Episode Gladiolus, March 28th

Started the quarter with GR2, now towards the end of Hekseville and taking my time with it. I'll be playing this for many months to come.

Kingdom Hearts 2.8: 0.2 was an interesting preview, DDD bored me though. Sold it. Looking forward to KH1.5+2.5.

Yakuza Zero: Gripping from beginning to end. My favorite of the series now and SEGA has my money as soon as they open up Kiwami for preorders.

Horizon: Zero Dawn: Was on my "to buy later" list but I got caught up in the positive release buzz. Really really surprised GG pulled off such a well focused, polished SP narrative.

Nier: Automata: Didn't like Nier. Really like Nier:Automata. In the middle of Route B now, kind of dull but I know it'll pay off.

As for Q2, I could spend all of it playing the games I've missed (RE7, Nioh, Tales of Berseria) but Persona 5 is coming!

Q4 2016 was amazing for me too (TLG, Rez, FFXV) so it's been a continuous six month streak of winners. Gaming has never been better.

Top Bottom