• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ releases 17 Mar 2017 for the Switch

h0tp0ck3t

So today I learned that items recharge after every wave of Boss Rush

Then this happened

2nlBOii.jpg

Lilith new favorite character

I tried out greed mode a couple of days ago. Really loved how different the rooms where set up. Totally nice change of pace from the original format.

Magwik

Banned
Had one of my best runs ever out of nearly 400 hours. Ipecac, Tech 2, host hat, the parasite, continuum, and Tammy's Head. Everything was murdered.

Crash331

I downloaded the PS4 version of this and I don't really get it. Is there no progression at all? 1 death and absolutely nothing carries over?

This is why I didn't really stick with BattleZone on psvr too long. I need something, no matter how small, that accumulates to make things a little easier or different.

I downloaded the PS4 version of this and I don't really get it. Is there no progression at all? 1 death and absolutely nothing carries over?

This is why I didn't really stick with BattleZone on psvr too long. I need something, no matter how small, that accumulates to make things a little easier or different.

Take a look at the secrets list. There's a ton to unlock that adds to what the game can provide.

AoM

To be fair Libra is one of the few items that makes Soy Milk useful at all. Most of the time Soy Milk is a death sentence to a run. Gotta love getting Tiny Planet after Soy Milk on a curse of the blind floor.

I'd say it's the only item that makes soy milk useful. Could maybe argue with Guppy, but even still, eh.

saunderez

I'd say it's the only item that makes soy milk useful. Could maybe argue with Guppy, but even still, eh.

It's useful with Little Horn if you have a high luck stat. Although that build is not so useful against bosses so maybe overall it's not a great combo.

Is it just me or are the sticks on the Switch version much more sensitive than on other platforms? I find myself try to left/right/down/up but end up going diagonal constantly. Never had this issue on the ps4 version which I've nearly got the plat trophy.

Crash331

Ok, maybe I'm just dumb, but what are examples of items or upgrades that you get to keep after death? I can't find anything about that.

Berordn

Ok, maybe I'm just dumb, but what are examples of items or upgrades that you get to keep after death? I can't find anything about that.

You keep no items after dying in a run, except for one unique and very special case with Eden.

Progressing further in the game unlocks more, often powerful items and additional content, and in a few cases improves characters from the outset (such as Maggie getting a beneficial pill to start with and Lilith getting Cambion Conception).

My friend mentioned that the more you beat the game, the harder the game gets? Is that true? I've got to moms heart about 4-5 times now and I haven't really noticed anything too different.

Haunted

You unlock new items, new enemies, new bosses, new floors to encounter on the next run.

You start at zero every run, but the pool of things that might be encountered/seen grows with basically every successful attempt, the game is ever changing which makes it so addictive. Always something new to see on the next run.

Jerm411

Haven't played much since vanilla on PS4...I'm rusty but slowly getting back in the groove.

Had an awesome run going with Roid Rage, which I love BTW, and was tearing through...thought for sure I was going to get to mom. Hit Caves II and acquire a pill...ugh I use it and turns out to be Bad Trip which zaps my hearts and I panic. Hit the next room and that's all she wrote.

Damn my curiosity LOL...just had to know. God I love this game....

Crash331

You unlock new items, new enemies, new bosses, new floors to encounter on the next run.

You start at zero every run, but the pool of things that might be encountered/seen grows with basically every successful attempt, the game is ever changing which makes it so addictive. Always something new to see on the next run.

What is a successful attempt? I keep dying on cave Ii.

jackal27

Banned
It's actually the most stable version I've seen aside from PC. The PS4 version would regularly crash every 2-3 runs. I have yet to have a single crash in my 20ish runs on Switch.
Good to hear! I loved the game on Vita (even though my map was somehow permanently glitched) and the original on PC so I picked this up!

So cool to have this game physical, but I've gotten so used to picking it up and playing that I really hate having Switch the cartridge out haha.

I don't even know what all the new content is added since Rebirth!

qko

I was talking to a friend today how BoI has truly become the Skyrim of indies. It really has become a must own at least once on all the platforms available. Nicalis really might screw up localizing to Europe, but good for them getting this once little flash game widely available to the masses

Beat Satan three times so far and FINALLY unlocked "Everything is Terrible". Maybe now my runs won't be steamrolls once I get a single Devil Room :3

I would have beat Satan four times if the devil room that goes to Sheol showed up when I beat Mom's Heart with Isaac with killer combos... hmph.

Also I now strongly feel the lack of Switch achievements. Getting the achievements on Steam/Vita were so much fun... Dammit

Rizzi

Man, the framerate when you fight It Lives in greed mode is uh.. Well really, really bad.
I swear that was literally 10 fps.

dickroach

honestly once you get to the point where you're good enough to unlock Everything is Terrible, the sllight rise in difficulty is hard to notice

1upsuper

I was talking to a friend today how BoI has truly become the Skyrim of indies. It really has become a must own at least once on all the platforms available. Nicalis really might screw up localizing to Europe, but good for them getting this once little flash game widely available to the masses

Never played Skyrim but I agree with the general sentiment. BoI, Spelunky, and FTL are the cream of the rogue-lite crop IMO and I'll buy them on anything. I've played a lot of other good ones but nothing is close to their level.

honestly once you get to the point where you're good enough to unlock Everything is Terrible, the sllight rise in difficulty is hard to notice
Hah! I've been at this point for a long while, I've been playing Isaac for a pretty decent amount of time before :p

Back in Rebirth, I gave
Mega Satan
a good amount of smacks. I think
???
is the limit of my ability because while I was able to reach it a few times, I never was able to beat it.

Oh and there was no way I even attempted a run with
The Lost
. Apparently it has Holy Mantle now??????? That's like a straight hardcore upgrade to the eleventh degree

LAA

Been playing a bit. Definitely the "Nicalis polish" I expected. Crashed after a daily run and after holding the power button, I couldnt turn it off in the power menu or go to home menu as all the button presses were still affecting BoI. So had to hold power it off.

While I love having BoI portable once again, wish the developer would get their act together and that they charges $40 for it...

Snowballo

A few questions:

1. Since it is not coming to EU (at least no release date yet) is there a place to order it (phisical) oversea? I'm in Italy

2. How is the game comparing to the Ps Vita version? I know it is richer but I'm talking about the feeling in the gameplay. On Vita it was awesome.

Thanks

0racle

Hey guys, I'm mildly interested, simply because of how the game is well recieved and reviews are positive....

What is the point of the game?
Can you save?
Is there progress of some sort?

These are all serious questions as I can't seem to understand the game.

Vlad

Hey guys, I'm mildly interested, simply because of how the game is well recieved and reviews are positive....

What is the point of the game?
Can you save?
Is there progress of some sort?

These are all serious questions as I can't seem to understand the game.

Well, the point of the game is to win. I don't know if you've ever played a roguelike game before, but the basic idea of BoI is that you progress through a series of levels, gaining new abilities as you go, but if you die, that's it, you start over. Generally speaking, a successful run of Isaac takes less than an hour, so it's not like you're losing a ton of time when you die.

The game saves your position when you quit (at least on the PC), and you get the option of continuing from there when you start the game back up. However, you can't just save the game and reload it later on if you die.

The progress comes in the form of item unlocks and further levels that become available as you beat the game more times. The way the items work is that throughout the levels, you come across items that can do anything from simply boost your damage, to drastically change how your attacks function (homing shots, exploding shots, etc). As you reach different milestones, more items become available. You're not going to see every item every time, but the pool of items that you can get increases as you go.

As far as the level unlocks go, I don't want to spoil too much, but basically, when you first start the game, you're trying to get to a certain boss. Once you beat that boss for the first time, you get one of the games many endings. On the next run, you fight that boss again, but then the game continues on to another set of levels.

Peltz

Is it just me or are the sticks on the Switch version much more sensitive than on other platforms? I find myself try to left/right/down/up but end up going diagonal constantly. Never had this issue on the ps4 version which I've nearly got the plat trophy.

I think it's just you to be honest. Maybe the angles of the sticks being different than on PS4 is throwing you off?

A few questions:

1. Since it is not coming to EU (at least no release date yet) is there a place to order it (phisical) oversea? I'm in Italy

2. How is the game comparing to the Ps Vita version? I know it is richer but I'm talking about the feeling in the gameplay. On Vita it was awesome.

Thanks

Actually they confirmed that it would be releasing both physical and digital versions in Europe at a currently undetermined date in the future.

Right now I think the only 2 places that would ship overseas in play Asia and Amazon.com,but both are now unavailable.

I had a run last night with Azazel and Ludovico Technique last night that felt pretty much like god mode. Massive controllable donut of death, mom's heart was a cake walk. Slightly disappointed really as it felt a bit like cheating.

Snowballo

Actually they confirmed that it would be releasing both physical and digital versions in Europe at a currently undetermined date in the future.

Right now I think the only 2 places that would ship overseas in play Asia and Amazon.com,but both are now unavailable.

Thanks mate.
So the only way now to get it is to buy digitally from the US store...

I had a run last night with Azazel and Ludovico Technique last night that felt pretty much like god mode. Massive controllable donut of death, mom's heart was a cake walk. Slightly disappointed really as it felt a bit like cheating.

I love those runs. All the failed ones where you have a pea shooter the whole time are made up for by the God runs.

Crash331

Thanks mate.
So the only way now to get it is to buy digitally from the US store...

I'm about to run to Walmart at lunch, their website says they have it in stock. I'd be willing to buy copies for people for cost + shipping if anyone is interested. Not looking to make anything off it.

Jerm411

So having not played since vanilla there's a lot of new stuff I'm not used to lol...hit a room last night with 3 chests, one was red. Me being the dummy I am of course I open that one and it spawned like a mini boss rush mode I guess you'd say...

What on earth did I do lol?

So having not played since vanilla there's a lot of new stuff I'm not used to lol...hit a room last night with 3 chests, one was red. Me being the dummy I am of course I open that one and it spawned like a mini boss rush mode I guess you'd say...

What on earth did I do lol?

You went into a red combat room, which have been in the game since Rebirth. Touch the chest and it starts up a three boss rush.

Top Bottom