• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After BOTW, what do you want from Red Dead Redemption 2?

inner-G

Banned
For the hardware it's on to be available for purchase when it releases.

That said, I don't want it to try an be like Zelda, I just want another RDR.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I don't know much about BotW, but they need to get their Max Payne 3 crew to design the gunplay. If it ends up feeling like GTAV, I'm going to hang myself.

The auto-ragdoll command should return from GTAV though. Put that in Online too. Fun stuff.

And as others have said, don't overcomplicate online. Make it as seamless as possible. The awful matchmaking and constant loading in GTA Online put me off playing past level 30 or so.

I want more of a Red Dead Revolver feel (maybe multiple characters, more spaghetti western style).

Stuff that RDR could realistically take from BOTW (e.g. it doesn't necessarily need all the physics based puzzles):
- Fire propagation
- Quests that don't just have markers
- A more distinctive landmark filled world that is easily navigable with a map

Funny, I thought RDR was already great about that. I haven't played it in 5+ years and I can still picture the map in my head, as well as many landmarks and their rough locations.

ahkdigital

Neo Member
"After BOTW, what do you want from Read Dead Redemption 2?"

1) The ability to place bookmarks at will

2) Unlimited page flips

3) No microtransactions/DLC to unlock new chapters - give me the full tale available from the beginning.

4) A good story

5) LeVar Burton

Markoman

Botw as an inspiration doesn't work for me. Just look at RDR's flaws and improve on that:
- better economy, less weapons you can carry, light survival mechanics
- don't make every quest go to marker A ride with someone to point B and talking
- better controls, aiming in RDR felt like ass
- better AI, get rid of enemies' GPS tracking ability

marrec

Banned
I can't parse what you're getting at

I was agreeing with you. The more cartoony style of BotW allows it to play fast and loose with a lot of things that you wouldn't get away with in RDR. It works extremely well in BotW, but you wouldn't be able to, for example, have the world be so easy and fun to traverse because cowboys don't jump off their horses to freeclimb quickly and easily up a mountain and then paraglide to an interesting landmark.

Part of the reason BotW works well as an open world game is because it's not constrained by any sense of "realism" beyond one it sets for itself. Part of the reason RDR works as a cowboy game is because it's rooted in a nostalgic "realism" of what we want to remember the old west being, it nails the western movie aesthetic. Pretty hard to take from one and improve the other, either way.

mindsale

I don't want to mash X to run like I'm inflating a fucking bicycle tire.

I wouldn't mind a Blood Moon mechanic where the spirits of those you've beaten in duels rise during the night, but I can hold off for Halloween DLC.

Rockstar would also do well to read some Louis L'amour western and model the main character off almost anyone of them particularly Lance Kilkenny

SomTervo

I've wanted more intense, gritty survival mechanics for a long time.

Like not just temperature and hunger, but also infection, thirst, wounds (with locational healing ala MGS3), and all of these impacting gameplay in an active way.

Of course R* won't do this. Way too complex and with too many systemic ramifications.

UrbanRats

Do we know if it's legitimate? How was it discovered?

There was a thread about it, OP got it from a friend i think? Either way, me and others called bullshit on him, but then some other site corroborated, and he tried to take down the image (but internet being the internet, it was too late).
Not officially confirmed or anything though.

I can try and look for the thread.

MDSLKTR

Nobody in the business does open world like Rockstar and now they, somehow, need to look up to other games for ideas?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
No POI markers / checklisty stuff.

Just let me walk around and explore and then do whatever I stumble into. Don't make me feel like I have to go to all these points on the map.

I've wanted more intense, gritty survival mechanics for a long time. Like not just temperature and hunger, but also infection, thirst, wounds (with locational healing ala MGS3), and all of these impacting gameplay in an active way.
Hotness and a total fit for RDR tone wise. You're hired!

Like not just temperature and hunger, but also infection, thirst, wounds (with locational healing ala MGS3), and all of these impacting gameplay in an active way.

Of course R* won't do this. Way too complex and with too many systemic ramifications.

Those are the very things that the original game lacked. I would love to see Rockstar implement those features in Red Dead Redemption 2.

Also, more outfits inspired by classic westerns, like Clint Eastwood's The Man With No Name outfit, famous Western villains, etc.

That sounds crazy, in a good way. It won't happen though.

marrec

Banned
Those are the very things that the original game lacked. I would love to see Rockstar implement those features in Red Dead Redemption 2.

Also, more outfits inspired by classic westerns, like Clint Eastwood's The Man With No Name outfit, famous Western villains, etc.

Problem is you gotta implement those features and still have it be accessible for most people or you end up in a Far Cry 2 situation.

Most people don't wanna play a cowboy game where they get gangrene from a snakebite.

Even if I wanna play that game.

You know that mission design where you ride across the map to get a mission, and then ride across the map to do said mission, and said mission lasts for less time than it took for you to ride there? Please get rid of that.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Zelda made me dislike alot of open world games i used to like.

The climbing,freedom and paragliding is such a game changer.

It forever has changed my idea about open world games.
Every open world game from now on will be compared to zelda

No POI markers / checklisty stuff.

Just let me walk around and explore and then do whatever I stumble into. Don't make me feel like I have to go to all these points on the map.

That would be great, just have to remember that R* games are massive and really complicated in terms of quests, NPCs , AI etc (no disrespect to Zelda but it doesn't even come close). It would require exceptional level design to combine all these elements seamlessly and in a way that's actually fun.

marrec

Banned
You know that mission design where you ride across the map to get a mission, and then ride across the map to do said mission, and said mission lasts for less time than it took for you to ride there? Please get rid of that.

Alternatively, make traversing the map actually fun, unlike in RDR.

Solo

There was a thread about it, OP got it from a friend i think? Either way, me and others called bullshit on him, but then some other site corroborated, and he tried to take down the image (but internet being the internet, it was too late).

TBH RDR1's map was *perfect* in size. Not too small to feel redundant and claustrophobic, but not unnecessarily and ungodly huge like some RPGs are. Tons of memorable locations and landmarks, and a unique feel to each area. Quality > quantity, and stuff.

If RDR2 is the same size as its predecessor, I'll be very happy.

Auctopus

A next-gen Western that's trying to build on the solid foundations the previous game in the series laid and not trying to adapt hastily in the last months of its development to adhere to the wishes of Zelda fans. Thankfully, I think R* might go with the former.

Three protagonists again...

- Someone in the gang.
- Female Native American
- Someone else

Yeah it looks very "90s PC" in terms of graphical fidelity - just the way the fonts look in the general and the washed-out look of the entire design. I just wouldn't think after all the dev stations that I've seen, that Rockstar would have a setup that looks like that.

That sounds crazy, in a good way. It won't happen though.

I hope it does - I would buy it twice.

pretty much. no campfire cooking neither.

Anything but cooking. Fuck that shit.

Why all the campfire/cooking hate? I think it would add a lot to the atmosphere and realism within a Western-themed game. Also I would find it fun.

Iorv3th

Why all the campfire/cooking hate? I think it would add a lot to the atmosphere and realism within a Western-themed game. Also I would find it fun.

It's one of the most annoying parts of BoTW. Hate that enemies don't drop hearts and you have to go in and out of the menus. Also no way to batch cook and you have to do one thing at a time.

Markoman

Yeah, a legit cowboy sim, pls

Oh, and add prone for MGSV style stealth

And dungeon type locations for treasure hunting.

OR play like RDR for the first 4 hours, then go full Westworld vs. Cowboy & Aliens vs. Galaxy Rangers vs. Marshall Bravestar :D

Cooking is by far one of my favorite aspects of BotW. Doesn't mean it needs to be in RDR2 (though I'd personally welcome it), but it's awesome and I look forward to see the concept added to and improved on in future Zelda titles.

RRockman

Banned
to pet dogs and have one as my constant partner. Having wolf link around was great. while you can easily say Fallout is what started it, BOTW's companions actually listens and is not a walking glitchfest/tank.

dreamfall

I've been thinking about this gen's premiere open world titles and I think for my taste, it's going to come down to how they tackle the dynamic events that occur within the map versus the more refined set piece mission encounters. Zelda and Horizon have very strong mechanics to approach unscripted combat - enemies patrolling wildly or in a Moblin camp can be approached at any time, with endless possibilities of approach. I think for me, the dynamic events that occur randomly in the open world without combat are more intriguing - do you remember the first time an NPC tried to steal your horse after asking for help? How cool that felt, how believable - and then it occurred again and again to the point where you'd just avoid it completely.

I feel like RDR2's shooting combat should be as refined as Max Payne 3 in the open world. That type of precision makes combat really exciting, so even if the most derivative side missions are mow down waves of enemies, at least it'll feel solid to execute. I don't want the open world to be marked by combat encounter camps to discover- only when it makes sense, an abandoned encampment or bandit settlements. But most importantly, the missions driving the narrative have to be strong and unique. More than just marker to marker to kill or fetch a unique target- the more variety the better.

I don't want an expanded loot system that slows the game to crawl. I don't want in depth survival mechanics. I want the best TPS gunplay mechanics in an open world, I want narrative missions that drive the story forward and that have a ton of variety. If there's a sprawling open map, don't rely on taking over pieces of it by clearing out camps - it's the most tedious and derivative gameplay ever. Instead, focus on creating a compelling story, and offer more than a handful of scripted events or dynamic interactions in the open world.

Cooking is by far one of my favorite aspects of BotW. Doesn't mean it needs to be in RDR2 (though I'd personally welcome it), but it's awesome and I look forward to see the concept added to and improved on in future Zelda titles.

If Rockstar does include cooking in RDR2, would you be excited for it and find it atmospheric and fitting of the time period and setting?

I don't think "open world" is a genre. Comparing Red Dead to BOTW is silly.

After BOTW, what can the next Burnout learn?

Read Dead is gritty, exploration isn't the inherent virtue, and you don't play as a rock climber.

Rockstar just needs to learn from their past games and stop with all the overly scripted missions and get that awesome Max Payne 3 gameplay in there.

Astral Dog

Chickens.lots of Chickens.
Small caves with puzzles.
Giant monsterns in the overworld (more than BoTW pituful ones)
Lots of wild animals rideable.

marrec

Banned
I've been thinking about this gen's premiere open world titles and I think for my taste, it's going to come down to how they tackle the dynamic events that occur within the map versus the more refined set piece mission encounters. Zelda and Horizon have very strong mechanics to approach unscripted combat - enemies patrolling wildly or in a Moblin camp can be approached at any time, with endless possibilities of approach. I think for me, the dynamic events that occur randomly in the open world without combat are more intriguing - do you remember the first time an NPC tried to steal your horse after asking for help? How cool that felt, how believable - and then it occurred again and again to the point where you'd just avoid it completely.

I feel like RDR2's shooting combat should be as refined as Max Payne 3 in the open world. That type of precision makes combat really exciting, so even if the most derivative side missions are mow down waves of enemies, at least it'll feel solid to execute. I don't want the open world to be marked by combat encounter camps to discover- only when it makes sense, an abandoned encampment or bandit settlements. But most importantly, the missions driving the narrative have to be strong and unique. More than just marker to marker to kill or fetch a unique target- the more variety the better.

I don't want an expanded loot system that slows the game to crawl. I don't want in depth survival mechanics. I want the best TPS gunplay mechanics in an open world, I want narrative missions that drive the story forward and that have a ton of variety. If there's a sprawling open map, don't rely on taking over pieces of it by clearing out camps - it's the most tedious and derivative gameplay ever. Instead, focus on creating a compelling story, and offer more than a handful of scripted events or dynamic interactions in the open world.

I have printed this out and mailed it to Rockstar because they need to read this.

I mean, RDR2 is already deep in development so lol, but I can't agree more with your post. Especially the last paragraph.

Top Bottom