• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Rokam

Is there anyone who would be willing to send me a scroll of resurrection I promise to name my next first unborn child after them if they do :)

PM your email and whether you want it sent from a populated horde pvp server or a populated alliance pve server.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Best raid. At least in the top 3. Still mechanically interesting, even though power levels now negate a lot of the challenge - more significant on some encounters than others, but that applies to every raid.

Yeah I can def see why it's considered one of the top raids back in its heyday. Must have been a blast beating all those bosses at 80.

Also I must say it is so fucking awesome having a cool mount now. Am never gonna use any of my stupid gryphons again!

Carm

Heh, I think I've seen or gotten most of what's on that list. NPCscan is pretty useful except when it targets something and I can't quite detect where it is (it's happened a few times).

The spiders are alright, but some are pretty tricky to get. I got Solix this past week, and it was pretty easy since you just kite it until it's low enough on energy then attempt to tame. The others I haven't tried.

Went and got the The Kurken which was pretty cool. It's nice having mini-Omen for a pet. Really wanna get Chromaggus, but it could be tricky.

Too bad my stable's almost full...

My hunter has Chromaggus. It was pretty easy, once we figured out that I was the only person that could be in the room for the taming. Just leave the rest of your party outside and Tame Beast. No tricks necessary.

You only need to be in a group to get into BWL, the entire place can be soloed with a hunter. Yes, Razorgore too.

Audioboxer

Any EU PVP server recommendations? I'm making a new Paladin on Alliance.

I have characters on Outland & Auchindoun. Stick with one of these or what alternatives?

I do have all my gold on Auchindoun, but as I'm creating an Alliance char now (currently Horde), I'd need to pay £20 to faction change to get it :O !!!

Draxal

Top 3 raids would have to be um (not difficulty wise)

Ulduar and Kara definetely. (BWL has a special spot in my heart but it's nostalgia based). Haven't done much of the Cata raids. I guess third would be ICC or Sunwell. I think Old school Naxx would actually be it (some of the fight concepts introudced were fun Heigan and his eyestalks of Doom), and Loatheb made good use of the 40 man req.

aesop

I'm enjoying Pally healing thus far as I level. The decent amount of instant casts lets you line up a good amount of burst if needed.

I really liked healing as I leveled my pally. Had near instant queues and I felt I could heal about anything. Then, I hit 85. What a kick in the dick.

TheYanger

In terms of pure enjoyment...I think the top 3 are probably AQ40, Karazhan, hmm...either Black Temple, Sunwell, or Ulduar.
I'll go with BT. It was very easy, but I still loved this zone and never got tired of it. all of the bosses were really fun to learn. I wish it had been harder in hindsight, but I had a blast at the time so idk. Sunwell/Ulduar are very close behind.

I love BT and AQ40 as well, even doing them at a higher level. But I've done them multiple times. Sunwell I've only done once or twice, so nothing against it - it's still pretty great, I'm just not as attached.

And for some reason I've never done Karazhan myself. It's on my to do list next time I play.

Ulduar and Sunwell are definitely in the top 3... The last spot is a bit harder to pick, comes down to AQ40 or Naxx40... I loved the design of AQ and head-walling C'Thun had a certain charm to it, but I think I'd have to say Naxx. The whole journey of that instance was memorable to me. So many of the encounters were just really fun to learn, culminating with 4H. Getting my T3 chest off them was a super feelsgoodman moment. Saph and KT had cool rooms to close things out in XD

I think at least one of the important things that ties the most favorite raids together (Ulduar, BT, AQ40, Naxx, Sunwell, Karazhan, BWL, and ICC - not listed in order, but certainly the best of the crop) is the way they build up to the final boss with a real sense of place. A journey that climaxes at the last encounter.

Ulduar - down the shattered stairway to face Vezax, and then Yogg-Saron in the pit you can see from above most of the instance

Black Temple - up the stairs to the temple summit, fighting Illidan in the open air on plane with lots of room to maneuver, along with the pretty epic council fight right before that.

AQ40 - sort of in a class of its own with how expansive it is, needing the bug mounts to get around, and then finally peering into C'Thun's room cautiously so you don't get immediately fried.

Naxx - Having to port up there (or fly in the Wrath version), then clearing out all the different quarters. Climaxes with porting up to the two final chambers with the last two bosses on a tier of their own. For design, this is sort of the quintessential dungeon.

Sunwell Plateau - Lots of neat stuff here, don't recall exactly, but it's pretty epic to go down the stairs into Kil'jaeden's room, which is unlike anything else in the game, completely covered in red cloth.

Karazhan - no comment here, as I haven't experienced it personally, but I'm sure it's similar from what I've read.

Blackwing Lair - Plenty of memorable moments, but storming Nefarian's throne room, with the view off to the side, the pillars, etc. And just the fight itself is one of the most mechanically interesting in the game (though easily overpowered with gear and level nowadays)

Icecrown Citadel - Similar to Naxx in that you have the different sections, and then you port up to the Lich King, sitting on his throne at the very peak of the citadel in the open air. Just an epic location.

TheYanger

I think at least one of the important things that ties the most favorite raids together (Ulduar, BT, AQ40, Naxx, Sunwell, Karazhan, BWL, and ICC - not listed in order, but certainly the best of the crop) is the way they build up to the final boss with a real sense of place. A journey that climaxes at the last encounter.

Ulduar - down the shattered stairway to face Vezax, and then Yogg-Saron in the pit you can see from above most of the instance

Black Temple - up the stairs to the temple summit, fighting Illidan in the open air on plane with lots of room to maneuver, along with the pretty epic council fight right before that.

AQ40 - sort of in a class of its own with how expansive it is, needing the bug mounts to get around, and then finally peering into C'Thun's room cautiously so you don't get immediately fried.

Naxx - Having to port up there (or fly in the Wrath version), then clearing out all the different quarters. Climaxes with porting up to the two final chambers with the last two bosses on a tier of their own. For design, this is sort of the quintessential dungeon.

Sunwell Plateau - Lots of neat stuff here, don't recall exactly, but it's pretty epic to go down the stairs into Kil'jaeden's room, which is unlike anything else in the game, completely covered in red cloth.

Karazhan - no comment here, as I haven't experienced it personally, but I'm sure it's similar from what I've read.

Blackwing Lair - Plenty of memorable moments, but storming Nefarian's throne room, with the view off to the side, the pillars, etc. And just the fight itself is one of the most mechanically interesting in the game (though easily overpowered with gear and level nowadays)

Icecrown Citadel - Similar to Naxx in that you have the different sections, and then you port up to the Lich King, sitting on his throne at the very peak of the citadel in the open air. Just an epic location.

It's interesting to read a post like this, because to me while the atmosphere is definitely key, the boss fights themselves are what I will remember the most, and shape my opinions of the instance more than anything.

Karazhan was just epic, it was 10 man, it was fucking easy after the first month or two of BC (It got nerfed hard many times early on. The first version of Nightbane? an absolute terror, good times), but the MECHANICS of the bosses were incredibly unconventional and innovative, and the atmosphere is THICK.

Zones like that are the perfect raids for all players imo.

Then you can take it the extreme angles to really decide what kind of content suits you more I think. You've got the extremely atmospheric zones like AQ, which had mostly simple boss mechanics (complex at the time, but this was before mechanics were matured. I'd say PARTS of Aq, and then all of Naxx, that's where modern raiding mechanics came to life), It's memorable because of the boss quotes, animations, graphics, the mounts, the epic scope, etc.

On the far end, you can look at ToC. A zone that had interesting boss mechanics, but ABSOLUTELY SHIT stale graphical design, no trash, no zone design to speak of at all. I think it's a bit unfair to compare to AQ perhaps in the sense that AQ mechanically is far better than ToC is atmospherically. But, in the end, the bosses here were actually pretty cool on heroic, despite the fact that everyone hated the zone.

I guess you could say the atmosphere is definitely hugely important to most of the playerbase, if not all of it (Just look at how reviled toc is), but now I'm trying to think of the zones in this sort of scale.

I guess it may even go beyond that, I mean technically MC is 'atmospheric' in the sense that it perfectly represents what it is supposed to be, it isn't confusing and it's straightforward, but that's also boring because what it's supposed to be is a cave. Does that mean it's highly atmospheric? idk...I think unique art has to count somewhere here I guess. I mean what do people remember from MC? Ragnaros, the UNIQUE boss in the middle with the badass dialogue, animations, and room design (the spiral, though still a cave, is immediately recognizable and awesome). think of ICC, this is a zone FULL of 'unique' art, but most of it is sterile looking as well, because it's so repetetive. Yeah, LK's platform is memorable, and a few other setpieces, but it was a common complaint at the time to hear about how underwhelming the design of the zone was even though the bosses were fun...

I suppose I'm rambling. But I'd be interested in kinowing just how Gaf ranks all zones I guess. Maybe I'll set up a template for curiosity's sake idk.

What would be important rankings? Atmosphere, inclusive of graphics/audio/music/storyline? or is that too broad? Bosses (creativity), trash (pacing/density/creativity), difficulty?

Sarcasm

I am debating whether is worth the money to send a scroll to my other account, get the free 80 and transfer to my main account.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I am debating whether is worth the money to send a scroll to my other account, get the free 80 and transfer to my main account.
I've done like 15-20 server transfers since vanilla.

I'd probably do it if I didn't have to pay for a month of game time on the other account.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I meant to transfer a character off. Can you do that during the 7 free days? Probably can. Just saying.

I did. I couldn't resist used my other acct boosted a worgen druid then transferred him to my main acct. Only thing I had to pay for was the account transfer, did not have to pay for any game time on my 2nd account.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I did. I couldn't resist used my other acct boosted a worgen druid then transferred him to my main acct. Only thing I had to pay for was the account transfer, did not have to pay for any game time on my 2nd account.
I'd do it then. I'm personally working on having all classes to cap. The time is takes to get to 80 is more valuable to me than 25$. Doing 1-80 is over done and a face roll for me on the 8th character,

Sciz

Karazhan drops off a bit in the middle once the constructs and ethereals start showing up and the level design degrades to libraries and ramps, but the lower floors and the pinnacle have absolutely fantastic atmosphere.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I'd do it then. I'm personally working on having all classes to cap. The time is takes to get to 80 is more valuable to me than 25$. Doing 1-80 is over done and a face roll for me on the 8th character,

I still haven't done the 1-80 to grind lol. Though I'm working on getting a full heirloom set for an ele/resto shaman.

I really like some of the Dragon Soul boss fights, but it fails so, so badly at this.

ampere

Whenever I hear people talk about how fun Karazhan was to raid it makes me wish I had raided in BC! Going back and doing Kara at 80/85 it looks like it was a really great raid, not to mention Medivh being a neat lore character.

I hope they do a Caverns of Time raid with Medivh/Anduin sometime in the future.

Draxal

I love BT and AQ40 as well, even doing them at a higher level. But I've done them multiple times. Sunwell I've only done once or twice, so nothing against it - it's still pretty great, I'm just not as attached.

And for some reason I've never done Karazhan myself. It's on my to do list next time I play.

I'd put BWL over AQ40, even though I cleared AQ40 myself the same day pretty much every guild first killed C'thun while my guild was alot slower in killing in Nefarian.

AQ40 had pacing issues (so much trash pre emperor and post emperor), and while they were some fun fights in AQ40 they were some stupid ones (HI VISCIDIUS).

BWL is actually where Blizz started showing their creative muscle in mechanics (Razorgore/Vael/Chromaggus/Nef), and I honestly think Chromaggus is one of my favorite at the proper level.

edit.

I honestly think ICC (let's face it Toc was a place holder) is where Blizzard to slip a bit in raid design. The gunship fight (cheesed me out a ton) it made me think you were robbed of crawling more of the place.

Sarcasm

I meant to transfer a character off. Can you do that during the 7 free days? Probably can. Just saying.

I just don't know what class..heh.

Horde I have a 85 warrior, paladin, druid, hunter, lock. I prefer tankign than healing..I have a 71 resto shaman.

Now I have an 82 alliance paladin. I have tried all classes. I am tempted to make a alliance shaman.

Staab

I have the day off and was looking to test out Cataclysm...
Would anyone from Europe be able to send me a Scroll of Resurrection, please ?
I can honestly say I probably won't be subscribing for a month though but I could run a couple of dungeons with one of your alts if you have a preferred server ;)

Quote to see my email for the scroll, thanks !

I have the day off and was looking to test out Cataclysm...
Would anyone from Europe be able to send me a Scroll of Resurrection, please ?
I can honestly say I probably won't be subscribing for a month though but I could run a couple of dungeons with one of your alts if you have a preferred server ;)

Quote to see my email for the scroll, thanks !

Scroll Complete! Your invitation is now queued for validation.

Scroll invitations are validated in hourly batches, so your friend should receive your invite shortly. Please note that your invitation will not be sent if your friend’s email address is not a valid Battle.net Account or if the receiving character does not exist

Did it because I was on the account while looking at gaf!

Also whats the anual pass work out costing in £? £107 or something? but then I dont know how much Diablo is outside of Battlenet (£45 i think)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Scroll Complete! Your invitation is now queued for validation.

Scroll invitations are validated in hourly batches, so your friend should receive your invite shortly. Please note that your invitation will not be sent if your friend’s email address is not a valid Battle.net Account or if the receiving character does not exist

Did it because I was on the account while looking at gaf!

Also whats the anual pass work out costing in £? £107 or something? but then I dont know how much Diablo is outside of Battlenet (£45 i think)
Whatever you pay monthly * 12 - whatever the cheapest retail website you'd buy from says D3 is?

Buying multi-month game cards from blizzard and already having game time on your account might alter it.

Sarcasm

Than there is the GAF guild, where I never see people on. If mostly partly due of me living in Taiwan...but than my random alliance guild is usually on a lot.

Could get the 80 for that guild...

Cipherr

Naxx is easily at the top of my list for favorites. They took everything they learned in vanilla and pumped out a raid that had some fantastic mechanics. So well designed it was insane.

Raid splitting, kiting zombies, the Positive/Negative charge mechanic along with the platform jumping, the real deal of a stand and tank/dps race in patchwerk, The Heigan dance, Frogger, Ice Blocks on Sapphiron, Your healers Mind control tanking on Razuvious, Add management and raid control for Faerlina, Fun mechanics like the crit buff on Loatheb, the raid split room of Gothik, The "OMG the floor is getting filled with green shit" of Grobulus. And of course, an end boss I cared about from WC3 lore.

Just so well done. And they had that shit out in vanilla. Some extremely creative boss mechanics and fights, as well as trash. Man they were at their best with Naxx, Im happy they brought it back so the majority of the playerbase could play it, even though it gave the place a bad rep for being "easy".

Audioboxer

Got my pala up to level 17 yesterday. Think I'm a little burned out on the old world content however. Might roll a death knight and enjoy something fresh - Not been one.

Only issue I'd have with DK tanking is my complete lack of tanking and going in at level 55~60 right off the bat.

I've heard Blood tanking is pretty forgiving though, IF you can learn how the basic DK dynamics work (rune system) :/ ???

Audίoboxer;37235071 said:
Got my pala up to level 17 yesterday. Think I'm a little burned out on the old world content however. Might roll a death knight and enjoy something fresh - Not been one.

Only issue I'd have with DK tanking is my complete lack of tanking and going in at level 55~60 right off the bat.

I've heard Blood tanking is pretty forgiving though, IF you can learn how the basic DK dynamics work (rune system) :/ ???

You can pretty much tank in any spec 60-70, but blood just makes it easy as. Honestly it revolves around 4 buttons and you can keep yourself up with DS.

Audioboxer

Tanking skills don't matter till you hit heroics, it's all about having appropriate gear and not being afk :p

How is threat management with a DK though? If there's one thing I notice in 5 mans these days whilst levelling it's DPS goes gung ho on whatever they want and the tank is expected to know how to handle it.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I suppose I'm rambling. But I'd be interested in kinowing just how Gaf ranks all zones I guess. Maybe I'll set up a template for curiosity's sake idk.

What would be important rankings? Atmosphere, inclusive of graphics/audio/music/storyline? or is that too broad? Bosses (creativity), trash (pacing/density/creativity), difficulty?

I'd throw in lore around the raid.

Example: TOC had virtually no lore other than... Tirion wanted the Alliance and Horde to fight/practice or some shit? And then you had Anub'arak thrown in for whatever reason (Why isn't he a boss in ICC? He was the right hand man to Arthas!)

Quick ranking of raids for me:
1) Karazhan
2) Ulduar
3) Naxxramas (only experienced it at 80 though)
4) Black Temple
5) Zul'Gurub

TimeKillr

Audίoboxer;37235414 said:
How is threat management with a DK though? If there's one thing I notice in 5 mans these days whilst levelling it's DPS goes gung ho on whatever they want and the tank is expected to know how to handle it.

You don't have to worry about it.

Seriously, you'll pump out so much damage that it won't ever be an issue.

DK tanking is basically this:

Apply diseases (spread if needed) -> Death and Decay if AoE tanking -> Spend runes with Death Strike and Heart Strike (Blood Boil if there's more than 4 mobs) -> Spend runic with Rune Strike -> rinse repeat

I love the fact that it's very simple and lets you keep your mind on the fight. The priority system is simple, Rune Strike is the "Sunder Armor" of Blood Tanking as it generates a shit ton of threat, you're always cleaving with Heart Strike, Death and Decay is a large AoE that does a ton of threat too, diseases always ticking means constant aggro on everything...

The problem with DK tanking is the complete lack of stuns. It's the ONE thing DK tanks are lacking, really - their main mitigation tool is self-healing (when you get to gearing up, do not listen to idiots who say that you have to gear for avoidance, ALWAYS go for Mastery), they have more self-healing tools than Death Strike alone (sacrifice ghoul, Lichborne + Death Coiling yourself), 2 interrupts (one ranged with a long cooldown and one melee with a shorter one), Death Grip which makes a lot of things easier - if you run into a group with 2 casters, you run up to one and Death Grip the other, etc.

I'm playing a prot Warriors these days since I did a scroll with a buddy of mine and got a Warrior up quickly and while I like it because it has an insane amount of tools, I'm missing the Blood DK's simplicity.

There's 2 addons I would recommend.

DocsDebugRunes - makes a small movable window that shows your active runes and the amount of Runic Power you have. It's ridiculously useful as the default rune display is horrible and very difficult to read.

BloodShieldTracker - this addon displays a few bits of information:
- How much will you heal yourself with the next Death Strike
- How big your current Blood Shield is
- How long your active Blood Shield will last

It's also ridiculously useful - you'll be able to see how much you'll heal yourself and should help you maximize your Death Strikes to get the maximum heal + shield.

Ultratech

Raids, eh?

For me, I'd go with:

Kara, ZG, and BWL?

Can't say too much, since I didn't do that much raiding.

Kara was tons of fun though and had some pretty neat encounters like the Opera Event, Shade of Aran, the Chess event, and Nightbane.

I really wanna do Ulduar one of these days just to experience it, since I've heard it's got really great design.

Nelo Ice

Banned
All this talk about raiding makes me wish I stuck around when I actually got into one of the top raiding guilds during BC. With that said from the raiding I did do I really enjoyed doing Kara and ZG. Besides those the only raids I remember doing are AQ20 and MC.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah KT can be a pain, tank + healer should be able to do it though... just need to focus and not be bad :3

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
He'll iceblock and kill the healer! MCs as well
Yup, I know, haha! Me and Secondimpact managed to do it after a couple of attempts though, had to be quite lucky. Ice Tomb is designed so that it takes 100% of your maximum health, so I put hots up on myself or the tank whenever one of us was about to get ice tombed so that worked out for us!

Also I don't recall MC being there? Or are we talking about 25man ._.?!

edit: fuck, I need to learn how to read. You clearly mentioned 25m.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I was thinking about getting back into this. Does gaf play on a particular server? is there a guild?

Well there is a GAF guild on Area 52 but I don't think it's really active. From what I've seen plenty of gaffers play Mal'ganis horde. Personally I play Alliance on Kil'jaeden and randomly I'll play horde on Tichondrius.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So I already have D3 preordered and I'll be getting it for around $40 yet I somehow want to get the annual pass even though I'm not certain I'll stick around for the year.

Cipherr

So I already have D3 preordered and I'll be getting it for around $40 yet I somehow want to get the annual pass even though I'm not certain I'll stick around for the year.

They sent me an email today for that stupid yearly pass. I already bought D3, Im not doing it. I have no real idea how much Ill play D3, I might decide to cancel my WoW account for months. Especially since MOP probably wont hit until August or later. No way will I commit to a year.

Top Bottom