• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Rant/idea mode: ON!

The more I think about G4 and "special" gaming media personalities, the more I wish that Nintendo would quit playing nice with these outlets. A few weeks ago, I mentioned a deep desire that Nintendo cut outlets away from the gravy train of free review copies, exclusive interviews, access to events, etc. People claimed that we'd see the perception of reviews of Nintendo games then being tainted, since the reviews would be coming from Nintendo's "favored" sites.

A revised proposal: instead of tearing-down access and communication between Nintendo and, for example, Gamespot or G4 or 1Up, perhaps Nintendo would be better served by granting more access to the many fan-run community websites. The Go Nintendos, the Radio Free Nintendos, the *nfendos (not sure if they're banned - apologies if they are), the Zelda Dungeons, etc.

Include the big sites in the list to receive review copies, to have basic access to large events, etc. Fine. But when it comes time to decide on an interview location, maybe it's time to consider RawMeatCowboy? Or perhaps a panel-style interview from the podcast crew at RadioFreeNintendo? When Nintendo wants to drop a bomb, instead of running to IGN with the news, why not let one of the fan-run sites be the scene of the crime? And after a major event, why not let one of the dedicated fansite reporters do the exclusive interview afterwards?

Why give these features to one of the big sites? Why build them up and give them such goodies, when they're going to marginalize and/or insult your fanbase on a regular basis? Why pass-up the chance to increase that sought-after sense of community by going with one of the fan-run sites?

As a result of this kind of change, members of the Nintendo community begin to sense that, hey, Nintendo treats these fan-run sites pretty seriously, and with proper respect. These guys pour many, many hours into these sites.. sometimes their lives. With the fanbase seeing that Nintendo sometimes goes to these smaller sites, maybe they'll start to hit the RFN or the Go Nintendo bookmark instead of the IGN or the VG247 bookmark when it comes to seeking news.

There are enough Morgan Webb, Luke Smith, and Robert Summa-wannabees out there. Nintendo needs to stop rewarding this behaviour.

Take those clicks away. Weaken the biggies. Build-up that sense of community. Bring-up the fan-run sites. I'd see it as a win-win-win situation.

1) Price?
US
$249 - 299
AUD
350 - 400

2) Release date?
Tuesday November 13th

3) Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent?
1.75x

4) Nintendo conference surprise(s)?
A retro game - Star fox or Donkey Kong
Nintendo 3DS interconnectivity
Complimentary Wii U Tech Demos (Chase Mii, Mario Bros, and Battle Mii etc) to be complimentary on HDD. Not unlike Wii Sports.
Cheaper games than competitors.

5) Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show.
Suited up.

6) Any special MS or Sony predictions?
MS: A Kinect and Home media device heavy conference, with splashes of Halo 4
Sony: PS3 and Vita titles.

7) You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties. So.. what'll be your favorite?
Needing extra time to create 'unique' NFC peripherals.

8) Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own? Taking off from work? Skipping a final exam?
Waiting till 2am to watch the conference. Either at EB Games Swanston Street's Nintendo Experience, or at mates place with ALOT of food and snacks.

9) Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year?
'Nintendo is never original. This is (somehow) a copy of ps3 - vita interconnectivity'

10) Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year?
Underwhelming line up.

Linkhero1

I KNOW, right? Hence, Kickstarter. It needs to return in a bad way. The only gaming-related funny I get in a given week is LoadingReadyRun, Dorkly and Lore in a Minute.

Speaking of which... http://www.youtube.com/user/lore

Currently have Star Fox Lore in a Minute as their newest video.

It would be nice for them to return.

Also thanks fore Lore in a Minute. Haven't seen any of these before. Going to kill a few minutes watching some of their episodes.

Now that's cool! I don't think my wife will get up at 4am to share the "nerdiness" with me. Hopefully when my little boy and girl grow up, they will :)

It's all about the family. 4 AM is pretty early but if your kids can watch with you and share your excitement, that's more than awesome.

Predictions?

Releasing this year:
Donkey Kong Country Forever (featuring David Wise)
F-Zero UX
Pikmin 3

Announced:
Mario WiiU (first half of next year)
Zelda WiiU (second half of next year)
Metroid Prime 4

+New trailer for Smash 4

I dream big.

HylianTom

Banned
I'll be watching it all alone with you guys and gals. My best hope to meet Nintendo-lovin' friends here in New Orleans will probably be when camping time comes in the fall.

HeySeuss

I remember when I said Nintendo wouldn't release pricing or release date info at E3. And you all laughed at me and said how rediculous I was. Good times. Good times.

HylianTom

Banned
Lol, I wish I knew people that cared about video games as much as I do.
Same here. When I mention to anyone in real life the concept of taking time off for a game, they look at me like I've grown a third eye.

Yes, it's important to me, real-life folks. Sheesh.

I've learned to largely not speak of it aloud, unless I'm in friendly company.

Rant/idea mode: ON!

The more I think about G4 and "special" gaming media personalities, the more I wish that Nintendo would quit playing nice with these outlets. A few weeks ago, I mentioned a deep desire that Nintendo cut outlets away from the gravy train of free review copies, exclusive interviews, access to events, etc. People claimed that we'd see the perception of reviews of Nintendo games then being tainted, since the reviews would be coming from Nintendo's "favored" sites.

A revised proposal: instead of tearing-down access and communication between Nintendo and, for example, Gamespot or G4 or 1Up, perhaps Nintendo would be better served by granting more access to the many fan-run community websites. The Go Nintendos, the Radio Free Nintendos, the *nfendos (not sure if they're banned - apologies if they are), the Zelda Dungeons, etc.

Include the big sites in the list to receive review copies, to have basic access to large events, etc. Fine. But when it comes time to decide on an interview location, maybe it's time to consider RawMeatCowboy? Or perhaps a panel-style interview from the podcast crew at RadioFreeNintendo? When Nintendo wants to drop a bomb, instead of running to IGN with the news, why not let one of the fan-run sites be the scene of the crime? And after a major event, why not let one of the dedicated fansite reporters do the exclusive interview afterwards?

Why give these features to one of the big sites? Why build them up and give them such goodies, when they're going to marginalize and/or insult your fanbase on a regular basis? Why pass-up the chance to increase that sought-after sense of community by going with one of the fan-run sites?

As a result of this kind of change, members of the Nintendo community begin to sense that, hey, Nintendo treats these fan-run sites pretty seriously, and with proper respect. These guys pour many, many hours into these sites.. sometimes their lives. With the fanbase seeing that Nintendo sometimes goes to these smaller sites, maybe they'll start to hit the RFN or the Go Nintendo bookmark instead of the IGN or the VG247 bookmark when it comes to seeking news.

There are enough Morgan Webb, Luke Smith, and Robert Summa-wannabees out there. Nintendo needs to stop rewarding this behaviour.

Take those clicks away. Weaken the biggies. Build-up that sense of community. Bring-up the fan-run sites. I'd see it as a win-win-win situation.

It seems like you are suggesting they inverse the relationship. Which means having their own news/previews get WAY WAY less views, and create and even bigger gulf between the big sites you dont like that dont cover nintendo as well as you'd like and Nintendo. Doesnt seem very practical.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I remember when I said Nintendo wouldn't release pricing or release date info at E3. And you all laughed at me and said how rediculous I was. Good times. Good times.

People laughed at you for that? I was actually surprised at the amount of people that were outraged when it was announced the price and launch date wouldn't be announced at E3. Nintendo don't do that.

I think Shiggy should come dressed as whomever the guest character in Smash-U is
3AQmK.gif

HylianTom

Banned
It seems like you are suggesting they inverse the relationship. Which means having their own news/previews get WAY WAY less views, and create and even bigger gulf between the big sites you dont like that dont cover nintendo as well as you'd like and Nintendo. Doesnt seem very practical.

Good. I put the ideas out there because they're still in that whole "fleshing-out" phase, so I like holes being poked {*cue ThunderMonkey joke about "poking" and "holes"*}{speaking of which.. where has that handsome devil been?}

I'm wondering.. if the smaller sites did begin getting news, would the larger sites report on this like the smaller sites do when larger sites have news to convey?

usmanusb

It's too bad, as that'd be a nice box to check from a marketing perspective. To certain niches, being able to call themselves "the first and only teraflops capable video game system in history" would have given that particular target audience something to latch onto beyond "probably faster than what's in my living room".

Yeah, but it seems really unlikely imo.

However, I will say that 1TFLOP becomes possible at 32nm. Still not gonna happen, though.

I think due to customize gpu.. it is still possible.. May be Nintendo goes back to their SNES/ N64 / GC glory.. and may be this console cycle last longer for them..

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I just want to watch it on my HDTV. :lol

If it is, I'll be watching it by myself most likely. I would invite my girlfriend, but she will most likely be in class. Besides, I get pretty intense during the conference and I doubt she will want see that. :lol

HeySeuss

People laughed at you for that? I was actually surprised at the amount of people that were outraged when it was announced the price and launch date wouldn't be announced at E3. Nintendo don't do that.

Yeah it was funny. I think only one other person agreed with me. But then again some people think we will get detailed spec info at E3 too, so its not a surprise. This is all in good fun though so its no big deal.

If it is, I'll be watching it by myself most likely. I would invite my girlfriend, but she will most likely be in class. Besides, I get pretty intense during the conference and I doubt she will want see that. :lol

Oh I know I'll do something nuts if they announce a new F-Zero. Something fucking nuts. Need to make sure my grandma knows not to call the police.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
...maybe...

More...pizza for me I guess...

: (

There, there. Personally I'll be watching it alone equipped with a nice burrito.

I'm glad no one was there to watch me react to Kid Icarus in 2010.

I think due to customize gpu.. it is still possible.. May be Nintendo goes back to their SNES/ N64 / GC glory.. and may be this console cycle last longer for them..

Of course, N64 and GameCube couldn't really be considered glory by they themselves, as those were the generations where they were badly defeated. They were also not any longer than the Wii lifespan -- having a more powerful system is not what extends your generation length.

Linkhero1

That's what I'm going to be doing. I just hook up my laptop and relax rather than having to watch it off my laptop screen. The best part of the conference is when you're really antsy for an announcement and start yelling at them to announce something.

Good. I put the ideas out there because they're still in that whole "fleshing-out" phase, so I like holes being poked {*cue ThunderMonkey joke about "poking" and "holes"*}{speaking of which.. where has that handsome devil been?}

I'm wondering.. if the smaller sites did begin getting news, would the larger sites report on this like the smaller sites do when larger sites have news to convey?

I think 'News' isnt really important here. Even IGN has to get their biggest non E3 news from affiliate fan sites from Japan like Andriasang. Its just the nature of being on Japanese time, and Nintendo liking to hold cards very very close to their chest unlike most companies. Game previews and reviews are the heart of their hits, and Nintendo sends stuff out to a lot of them. Could they expand that practice? Sure, but eventually you have to look at the cost of it and the level of traffic some of these guys have and conclude its not worth it. Especially for things like flying people out for the rare Spring preview event or some such.

HylianTom

Banned
That's what I'm going to be doing. I just hook up my laptop and relax rather than having to watch it off my laptop screen. The best part of the conference is when you're really antsy for an announcement and start yelling at them to announce something.

Aww.. my favorite is when they start to hint at something just before they do announce it, and I get that feeling of, "holy shit - is.. is.. is this really happening? It is, isn't it? Ohmygod.. look at that! It IS happening! Wow! Wow-eee! I didn't think it would happen, but here I am, seeing it! Holy shit! Thank you, Nayru! WOW!"

That moment, right there. Good stuff. Hopefully Nintendo brings lots of it.

Linkhero1

Aww.. my favorite is when they start to hint at something just before they do announce it, and I get that feeling of, "holy shit - is.. is.. is this really happening? It is, isn't it? Ohmygod.. look at that! It IS happening! Wow! Wow-eee! I didn't think it would happen, but here I am, seeing it! Holy shit! Thank you, Nayru! WOW!"

That moment, right there. Good stuff. Hopefully Nintendo brings lots of it.

Yeah. When they announced DKCR you should have seen me jumping all over the place as soon as the music started playing. Too bad I ended up not liking the game as much as I thought I would, but that moment will forever be my favorite E3 memory.

Has there been any indication that Nintendo might break out a dual-lens camera to deliver a 3DS-specific feed of their conference?

As far as I know nothing has been said or hinted. If anything we'll probably get 3D trailers like last year which are awesome.

Sirius

Of course, N64 and GameCube couldn't really be considered glory by they themselves, as those were the generations where they were badly defeated. They were also not any longer than the Wii lifespan -- having a more powerful system is not what extends your generation length.
Back in the day glory had nothing to do with sales. I would have given anything to have more of the quality of the GC and 64 era during this gen.

HylianTom

Banned
I think 'News' isnt really important here. Even IGN has to get their biggest non E3 news from affiliate fan sites from Japan like Andriasang. Its just the nature of being on Japanese time, and Nintendo liking to hold cards very very close to their chest unlike most companies. Game previews and reviews are the heart of their hits, and Nintendo sends stuff out to a lot of them. Could they expand that practice? Sure, but eventually you have to look at the cost of it and the level of traffic some of these guys have and conclude its not worth it. Especially for things like flying people out for the rare Spring preview event or some such.

Oh, of course they'd have to be selective in whom they choose for those kinds of events requiring travel. Maybe they can mix things up a bit, where instead of bringing two folks from Major Site, they bring one person over from Major Site and another person over from Fan-Run Site. There are ways where some sort of middle-ground of compromise could be established, I think.

I'm thinking though that they could still do more interviews and reveals elsewhere - but instead of physical travel, they could take advantage of the internet and do Skype interviews or telephone interviews - those are pretty cost-effective ways to communicate.

Heck, another example: Nintendo could even do invite-only Let's Play videos to show-off a game. Or they could mail a console with a disc and remotely control it such that the game is unplayable after XX/YY/ZZ date, and the disc must be returned immediately after use.

The idea that some of these large media outlets are being given more access can be a bit repulsive at times, honestly. Just my own personal take. There's gotta be a better way.

usmanusb

actually what i mean was those systems were top of the line in the consoles during that time in terms of graphics and overall balance. They didn't sell well were mainly due their business model and ofcourse some stuped decisions eg. lack of cd for n64. yes they may not have sell as compare to competitors but all of them were quite profitable from hardware and software perspectives.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
They should totally drive a replica Blue Falcon out onto the stage for the new F-Zero like Sony did with Twisted Metal.

Not as iconic, but I could totally see them revealing a StarFox Arwing out of a cloud of smoke machine fog, with Miyamoto in the cockpit. :)

I think StarFox would be the better luanch title as its far better known among lapsed gamers. F-Zero is nice but niche.

actually what i mean was those systems were top of the line in the consoles during that time in terms of graphics and overall balance. They didn't sell well were mainly due their business model and ofcourse some stuped decisions eg. lack of cd for n64. yes they may not have sell as compare to competitors but all of them were quite profitable from hardware and software perspectives.

I generally agree with pretty much everything you say here.

I think I was more debating the suggestion that making the system more powerful could extend the lifespan.

antonz

This generation has and is going on as long as it is only due to the fact that 2/3 of the console makers priced themselves out of the market for the majority of the generation. Its an artifical lengthening by the fact people who want to jump in are finally seeing reasonable pricing.

AniHawk

Not as iconic, but I could totally see them revealing a StarFox Arwing out of a cloud of smoke machine fog, with Miyamoto in the cockpit. :)

and after he steps out, it would burst into flames, a genuine tribute to the quality of the star fox franchise.

HylianTom

Banned
This generation has and is going on as long as it is only due to the fact that 2/3 of the console makers priced themselves out of the market for the majority of the generation. Its an artifical lengthening by the fact people who want to jump in are finally seeing reasonable pricing.

I'm kinda wondering how long this upcoming generation is going to last. I mean, we're going to see an even smaller jump this time around in visuals.. how much of a leap are gamers going to expect, and will they really get to a point where they say things like, "The 720's graphics suck ass! We need the 1440, and we need it, like, yesterday, dude!"

Snakeyes

I think StarFox would be the better launch title as its far better known among lapsed gamers. F-Zero is nice but niche.

They're pretty much have the same level of popularity IMO. A competitive racer like F-Zero would be a perfect "core" title to show a strong commitment to online.

30-man races at 60 FPS with leaderboards would already be a feat that completely outclasses anything done on consoles so far.

We also have the creative potential of the Wii U controller; custom tracks, custom racer logos, even custom cars could be molded to the player's liking and give everyone a sense of identity that has only been seen in WRPGs.

If the game really takes off, the community could even organize an annual F-Zero Grand Prix with a mix of official and custom tracks that have been approved by a committee of sorts.

Back in the day glory had nothing to do with sales. I would have given anything to have more of the quality of the GC and 64 era during this gen.

Hoo boy, sorry but if there was ever an evident demonstration of the term "rose tinted glasses" it would be this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom