• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Release dates for upcoming Nintendo games in Japan (Super Mario Collection announced)

jamesinclair said:
We better get that shit in america with Super Mario World included.

And super mario world 2 (yoshis island).

And the GB games as unlockables.

And sunshine thrown in, to educate the masses on what a great game they missed.

Oh ya, I'll jizz if any of the Game Boy games are included. But I'll take what I can get.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Drkirby said:
I wonder if they will include both versions or go for the SFC versions only. That, and if they will make a control mode that works with the Wiimote and Nunchuck for SMW.

...I just threw up all over my keyboard.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Andrex said:
What, extra options aren't bad, I just think it will help sell the product if you could play all the games with the controller the system comes with :lol

So the VC version of All-Stars can still happen. This collection is a limited release after all and why would Nintendo consider the possibility of leaving money on the table?

It would be nice to see a US release. Dunno whether or not I want to hold my breath over it though, I just want the CD and book.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Boney said:
Don't forget it'll have the E-card stages in SMB3!
:lol

I do wonder if they will toss in a stand alone version of Mario Bros or Donkey Kong though. I really doubt Donkey Kong, but the first Mario Bros game would be a good fit. Also would be awesome if this was a taste of what is to come, any they start doing this with other series, but that is also just a pipe dream, since they dropped there NPC series in a heart beat.

So the VC version of All-Stars can still happen. This collection is a limited release after all and why would Nintendo consider the possibility of leaving money on the table?

It would be nice to see a US release. Dunno whether or not I want to hold my breath over it though, I just want the CD and book.
For me to buy a US version new, it would have to be identical or at least comparable to the Japanese version.

Andrex said:
I can't see why. I'd love to play Sunshine using Galaxy's awesome control sche...

Wait... World? I appreciate having options, but the mere notion of trying to control World using an analog stick is just a little insane. Classic controller or bust!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So how do you find these things on the Japanese Nintendo site?

I can't even see the Kirby link posted earlier.

Drkirby said:
For me to buy a US version new, it would have to be identical or at least comparable to the Japanese version.

Well yeah that much is obvious. I already own SMB3 and that's the only game in the All-Stars set I still play. To me All-Stars is basically the "play any World with any suit" version of SMB3. If the US release was just the disc I'd probably give Nintendo a fountain of shit over it.

Drkirby said:
What were the differences between the US and Japanese versions of All Stars (or are you talking about the new collection)?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Allan Holdsworth said:
Better import that, knowing NoA they won't localize it. 2500 yen is nothing considering how expensive CDs are in Japan.
I'll still wait, there is a chance NoE could announce it to :lol

I am going to see if anything comes by the end of the month to suggest we will get the same pack, since I would really like to be able to read that History Book. If there is nothing a few weeks before the thing come out, I'll let it ship. Most likely will preorder it just incase supply is fairly limited though.

What were the differences between the US and Japanese versions of All Stars (or are you talking about the new collection)?
Yeah, this collection. I would only buy a new US copy if it was a comparable package. I can see if they want to change up the track list of the CD a bit, but it needs to be more or less the same.

Anth0ny

You know, now that I think about it, $30 for All Stars+World, a (hopefully awesome) artbook, and a soundtrack ain't too shabby.

Teknoman

Mario Collection seems odd to say the least. Especially if its nothing but Super Mario Allstars on a wii disc with a soundtrack CD.

Foffy

Banned
Drkirby said:
:lol

I do wonder if they will toss in a stand alone version of Mario Bros or Donkey Kong though. I really doubt Donkey Kong, but the first Mario Bros game would be a good fit. Also would be awesome if this was a taste of what is to come, any they start doing this with other series, but that is also just a pipe dream, since they dropped there NPC series in a heart beat.

I think the largest downfall is that a lot of the games they decided for the NPC program...weren't really classic games worth a re-release. Pikmin 2 and Metroid Prime, maybe. There rest were just enhanced versions of already fun games. They were able to get away with porting a lot of SNES games over to the GBA because they picked a lot of the top crop from the platform, even though I felt that they were better on the SNES. The NPC series seemed to randomly select games to release. If they released a Zelda game or Luigi's Mansion under the NPC banner, I would figure it would have been much more successful than releasing Chibi-Robo or Mario Power Tennis.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, I was hoping that was just wave 1 kind of stuff, and we would get better NPC games, but I guess the first round did so bad they just canned the whole line. And Chibi-Robo for the Wii never made it out of Japan :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What they need to do is bundle this with that SFC classic controller that was on Club Nintendo, then bring it over to the US with the classy purple color scheme. ^_^

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Andrex said:
What they need to do is bundle this with that SFC classic controller that was on Club Nintendo, then bring it over to the US with the classy purple color scheme. ^_^
I'll take ether color, but I would much rather have the Colorful Japanese Buttons.

You know, maybe NoA will make this collection there Club Nintendo Platinum prize next year. All I know though, is that I will own this and have that CD. I wonder if they are going to put the SMB1 Mario sprite on the disc art or not.

VOOK

Andrex said:
What they need to do is bundle this with that SFC classic controller that was on Club Nintendo, then bring it over to the US with the assy purple color scheme. ^_^

Fixed

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
MidnightScott said:
Don't worry it's Mario, it'll come here.
The thing is, I don't care so much about the games as the other stuff it comes with. I already own enough versions of all those Mario games, I can stand not to have one, but I have no Mario CDs!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
2500 yen just seems way too low for something also with a book and CD, even if it is just an unenhanced port.

I doubt we'll see it in the US if it's really just All-Stars pressed to a disc, even though it would sell gangbusters considering how many people are totally unaware of VC or simply not connected to the internet with their Wii. Maybe as next year's Platinum status reward for US Club Nintendo or something.

Boney

Banned
Teknoman said:
Mario Collection seems odd to say the least. Especially if its nothing but Super Mario Allstars on a wii disc with a soundtrack CD.
My guess is that VC sales for these titles have been very poor. And after seeing NSMBWii succes, they want moar.

Wonder why CDs and DVDs are so expensive in Japan. I also heard that most anime doesn't get released on DVD there either. I hope this collection gets released worldwide. I would prefer the pretty graphics of the All-Stars versions. Plus I want the book and soundtrack for fucks sake. They should just put it on Club Nintendo around the world. I have so many coins I could get it lol.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Allan Holdsworth said:
Yup, it'll come, but without the book or CD, which is 90% of the point of this collection.

And don't forget it'll be $50. :p

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Hey NoA, I generally give you the benefit of the doubt but for christ's sake please don't fuck this up. I already own these games in several forms but I'd definitely be there day one.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
MidnightScott said:
I also heard that most anime doesn't get released on DVD there either.
That's not correct... that's, like, the inverse of correct. They get released in many, many expensive volumes with maybe two episodes apiece.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I have never heard of most Anime not coming out on DVD, but the main reason they price it the way they do is because they can get away with it, the consumer culture has media items priced much higher then other places in the World. Even video games cost about 20%+ more on average then in the US, but the price for DVDs is so vasts between the US and Japan that companies have started gimping the video quality or taking out the Japanese voice track in the US version to prevent reverse importing.

I think the only media format that is cheaper in Japan is Manga, which is about half the price then in the US. WSJ I think is 200 yen a week, and manga volumes cost about the same in Japan as a single issue of a comic book in NA.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I feel like there's one more piece of this puzzle we aren't privy to yet. It seems really odd for Nintendo to release a pile of VC-type games on a disk... not impossible, mind you, just odd.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
DavidDayton said:
I feel like there's one more piece of this puzzle we aren't privy to yet. It seems really odd for Nintendo to release a pile of VC-type games on a disk... not impossible, mind you, just odd.
Well, its likely going to have a new interface for selecting the games, and maybe some other extras on the disc. I don't think its just going to a be a SNES rom and emulator on a DVD.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
DavidDayton said:

They want to revitalise hardware sales.

So, 2D Mario.

The SMB Collection news just came out of nowhere.

I wonder when the other game sites and Slowtaku is going to post this. I wonder what it is? Is it a Wii collection or maybe a DS one? I'm hoping it's a DS collection.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just saw that it's for the Wii. Still cool.

VOOK

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
The SMB Collection news just came out of nowhere.

Super Mario Collection was trademarked more then a year ago, I can't find the GAF thread so here is my story.

GAF -> Internet -> GAF

I knew that the trademark had something to do with a Super Mario All Stars re-release, but I never expected it to be a retail release!

Do want! retail or VC I still want to get All Stars again! (what an odd choice though)

Are we sure that it is just a direct port, no more details?

Foffy

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
I knew that the trademark had something to do with a Super Mario All Stars re-release, but I never expected it to be a retail release!

Do want! retail or VC I still want to get All Stars again! (what an odd choice though)

Are we sure that it is just a direct port?

How would you remake a series of remakes? :lol

Can't wait to find out what it is exactly. Nintendo conference on Sep. 29th anyone? :D

Enhanced port please with the little Mario voices like the Advance games. :3

Hope we at least see screens soon to know what it is exactly. Maybe it will be just a straight up port, maybe they'll toss in those little Advance series quirks. But yeah those extras make it more worthwhile.

Top Bottom