• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo Convinced You to Buy a Wii U Yet?

Ponn

Banned
Either way I figured I would end up keeping my PS3 because of my lack of faith in PS4 BC, especially after the spec leaks. I was going to see what PS4 was going to offer and make a decision to jump in or not but at this point with some very interesting titles announced in Persona X Fire Emblem, X sequel and Wind Waker being my favorite Zelda I think Nintendo sold me. If PS4 doesn't have BC then it will just have to wait down the road for a revision and price drop.

Now to find a cheap copy of Xenoblade before their gone.

drspeedy

Sceptics remain sceptics. People have different tastes and I truly didn't believe this showing would convince people who left ages ago. But the Direct was clearly aimed at the core audience and they succeeded in it by showing some of the cool stuff they are working on.

But do I need to rush out and buy a Wii U now? No. But I will buy one eventually. If they can fulfill their promises (fix the system's speed, Miiverse on Phones, not waiting too long with new games) I will happily reward them for their effort. But as long as those things aren't here, they won't get my money.

Basically nails it for me. We got a lot of cool games here, a lot of much-needed fan service, but the whole package is still just "Wii, part 2: Now with 100% more HD".

I'll get one eventually, but not rushing out to buy when I can play basically all of those games on my Wii now, or even Dolphin.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The only way Nintendo will convince me to buy one is by making Mother 4 or Sin and Punishment 3. Or Precure Musou! [/pipedreams]

Kerub

Banned
Absolutely not. I would consider buying one if it was 30 dollars or free just so I could sell it back to make a profit. I wouldn't even KEEP a wiiU or wii just because it would take up space and there's not even anything I want for it. The last first party nintendo game I cared about was super Metroid,and zelda a link to the past. And anything that's multi platform I'd buy for the 360. I'll buy a nintendo wiiU when they pay me to simply stick it in my closet to rot.

I think you've reached a new level of bitterness.

Mononoke

Banned
I already bought one, and after beating Zombi U I haven't touched it since December. I'm really worried it's going to be collecting dust like my Wii.

=/

Jubern

Yup, I'm getting one. Not right now, maybe not even this year depending on various things. But definitely soon-ish.

73V3N

Banned
Not at all.

The current Nintendo franchises don't really do it for me and I was hoping for an announcement of anything new.

Obviously they won't do that since they make money on the current ones and no one ever calls them out for being lazy and rehashing the same stuff over and over and over.

I'll stick to MS and Sony.

Did we watch the same ND?

Globox_82

Banned
No, sorry. waiting for PS4, will enjoy PS3 until then. But it seems they announced some cool games today. Cool for Nintendo fans. I just don't find their games interesting and it is also outdated HW spec wise.

kswiston

I was always going to buy one eventually, but I am glad to see the system getting more games that I am interested in. I will probably still wait six months or so to make sure that we aren't going to get a price drop before I jump on board.

If I wanted to buy a new console, yes they did; however, I am happy with what I have for now and will wait for the next holiday to buy a new console; but from the looks of it, it's probably going to be Wii U; it already has some must buy titles for me.

Sydle

Yes, but I'll probably still wait for several of those games to come out and a price drop before I get one.

Frillen

I am almost there with that new monolith game. All I need is a guarantee from them that it's mostly a SP story-driven game.

I also need more games because I don't buy systems for 1 game. More Mario/Zelda/Smash and all that stuff does absolutely 0 for me. I was tired of them 10 years ago and I still am.

Wow. You've missed out on some of the best games ever made then.

Huff

Banned
Either way I figured I would end up keeping my PS3 because of my lack of faith in PS4 BC, especially after the spec leaks. I was going to see what PS4 was going to offer and make a decision to jump in or not but at this point with some very interesting titles announced in Persona X Fire Emblem, X sequel and Wind Waker being my favorite Zelda I think Nintendo sold me. If PS4 doesn't have BC then it will just have to wait down the road for a revision and price drop.

Now to find a cheap copy of Xenoblade before their gone.

not persona

Half of these games were obvious. Nintendo is working on a Mario game? Wow. There's also water on Earth somewhere supposedly.

That said though, my current list is:

New Super Mario Bros. U

Soon:

Rayman Legends

After Today:
Mario U
Zelda U
Xenoblade II
Yoshi U

So once that stuff actually comes out, I'll be jumping in. Assuming none of those new titles suck ass which I highly doubt they will.

Probably December 2013 or early 2014 I guess.

Yes, but I'm going to wait a bit. This summer at the earliest, but I'm absolutely buying one eventually. Pikmin 3, Yoshi Yarn, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, the promise of a new 3D Mario, a new Mario Kart, and Smash Bros. on both the 3DS and Wii U means that I am definitely buying a Wii U at some point, just not now.

LeleSocho

Banned
Well today they switched my brain to "will never get one with my money, never ever ever never" to "might buy one in the future"
That's quite an accomplishment for me.

spekkeh

Banned
I always was.
When it was cheaper and had a bigger library.

This. But still slight possibility for this:

No.

The good games won't be arriving till late 2013 and into 2014+, by then Sony and Microsoft's next-gen consoles will be released, and there will be no time for the Wii U.

But I think the hole in my heart where there used to be Nintendo first party goodness will be too great by that time.

Cha

No. But after seeing "X" they've certainly managed to make me raise an eyebrow. Getting a WiiU is at least a consideration now.

sajj316

Still a wait and see approach. The price for me needs to drop but I certainly love the Nintendo games. I would love to see Mario Galaxy 1/2 HD .. that would seal the deal since I haven't completely finished either games.

Lime

No, I'm not going to pay the equivalent of 500 USD for some over-priced 2005 hardware wrapped in Fisher Price plastic. The aesthetics of Nintendo's first party titles have never appealed to me either and their output always seem to be a retread of the same old IPs with different mechanics (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Yoshi, etc.).

I'll buy the quality third party games if a Dolphin WiiU emulator ever gets made, though.

Hagi

I'm still undecided really, i want one i just don't know when i'll get it. The ND was great and i'd love to play Bayo 2, Megaten and X but i really need concrete dates before putting money down on anything. Hopefully some of those are out before the PS4 launches.

Wubby

Nope. Almost pulled the trigger on one during the Christmas break though when I saw they were in stock. But my Wii has been unplugged for the last two years almost so I can't help but feel the Wii U will end up with the same fate. Though the controller and the ability to play games without needing the TV may actually mean I use it more. I'll bite one of these days, maybe after a Mario Kart release.

My PS3 on the other hand gets used daily by the wife. If the PS4 has a Torne/Nasne unit built in it will be a day 1 purchase.

sono

Gold Member
Here are my feelings about the Wii U in answer to the OP. I dont think I am the target market for it in terms of what I am looking for for a next gen console.

The newer variants of Mario dont push my buttons, while I appreciate lots of people love those games.

The general industry advise that its not much different in power to 360/PS3 and the next gen of both of those is around the corner. I currently have a PS3.

It also does not have a bluray player which is the main HD disk format now, I want my console in the living room so space beneath my TV is a consideration.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Im more interested but not enough to pay $350+.

This is where I am at. If the Wii U was like $199, I would have bought one Day 1. However, the fact it's $349 when we have the Orbis/Durango coming out makes me want to sit back and watch what happens before I plunge into the next generation.

Bought it day 1, and was feeling happy with it for a while, lately though I thought about selling it again.

Nintendo convinced me with their latest ND to keep it a little bit longer and see what i might become, I have to admit.

drspeedy

Did we watch the same ND?

He's not so wrong, really... I mean, with what Wii did with old franchises- Galaxy, DKCR, Kirby EY, even Skyward Sword and Punch-Out! (I consider those motion controls pretty creative). The list from today feels like a great nod to the Nintendo core, but mostly a linear continuation of the Wii. Plus the whole VC and OS have been beta versions at best

It'll be 4-5 years before we get something 'new' at this pace. I'm hyped, but not 2006 jaw-on-the-floor wowed. Maybe E3 can changed that.

I went from never to "maybe at a pricedrop".

There's absolutely no reason to act now when Sony and MS on the horizon. E3 will tell the tale.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Need a $150.00 price drop....doesn't matter what they do until its $199.99 til then
I'll just buy the games I want and keep them sealed until I own the system at what I feel is a fair price. No rush for Wii U.

TDLink

I don't understand the people saying it's "All the same old nintendo stuff" at this point. Yeah they mentioned Mario Kart and 3D Mario and Smash Bros. and Zelda, but those aren't even the games they actually showed off. Yeah we knew those were coming, what are more interesting are the other games like Wonderful 101, the new Monolith Xeno game, and Bayonetta 2. But yes, Nintendo is just rehashing Mario and Zelda and these games apparently count for nothing. Come on guys. SMT x Fire Emblem also is a huge "WHAT?!".

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Nope.

Not unless they launch a pro controller bundle.Even then, I doubt it, especially with Nextbox and PS4 on the horizon. Rather see what they can dish out first.

Wow, new Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart games? I'm totally surprised at this announcement. I didn't expect these games to come out on the Wii U.

KAL2006

Banned
I was always planning to get a Wii when it's £150 in a couple of years. Nintendo Direct didn't change shit for me. WiiU is still underpowered and overpriced. The account system is still a joke.

As for new announcements. Announcement of an announcement for Mario Kart and Mario 3D for E3, like we didn't see them coming in the first place, and I bet those titles are still way off (fall 2013 the earliest)., Nintendo were probably just announced those extra early cause their 2013 line up is terrible. Yoshi game looks to be a disappointment, made by Kirby Epic Yarn team, that game was made for baby's this seems to look similar, I prefer the handrawn look of Yoshi's Island. The ony decent announcements were Fire Emblem and the new Xenoblade game. Windwaker HD is cool, but I feel they are only releasing it cause the true nextgen Zelda is taking them time and HD released ain't nothing to go crazy about. Or the other games were shit we already know about or casual fluff. As for Virtual Console , that is most certainly a con by Nintendo, having to still pay for VC games on WiiU even though you own them on Wii. And Nintendo restarting the releases by releasing them all over again slowly on WiiU. Question will WiiU and 3DS VC games be unified (buy one get the other free), or is Nintendo planning to con people on that as well as there is no excuse as 3DS and WiiU are both new systems.

Top Bottom